6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Problem with new LED Tails

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Problem with new LED Tails

I had my LED tails installed at a auto shop. They told me that they can install the lights, however in regards to the two connectors that have plastic screw ins, they said that they could not get them to screw in, so they left them dangling inside. They said that I could have problems with moisture later on.

Also when I tested the lights out, the brake lights worked, but whenever I use the signal the blinkers are blinking fast. also when i turn the blinkers on the entire tail light blinks instead of just the side turn portion.

I am taking my car to a nissan dealership tomorrow to get them to look at it. do you guys have any suggestions on how to fix these problems? thanks

Last edited by jattsingh; 08-06-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:01 AM

do you have led turn signals in the front??? when i installed my led taillights they weren't connected right and my blinker in the back wasn't working... which caused it to blink fast... i know you didn't install yourself but two things:
1. i don't understand why they couldn't connect everything its plug n play...
2: In some cases ppl have to push out the prongs to the connects to make the connection solid.

check to make sure the back blinkers are working... you might need to load a 6ohm resistor...
Old 08-06-2008, 11:19 AM

no I do not have any other mods on the car, no LED blinkers in the front..

I just drove my car and its wierd, sometimes the blinkers blink fast, sometimes they blink normally.. The back tails are blinking, but the two circular lights are blinking, not the side blinker light...
Old 08-06-2008, 11:23 AM

just do it yourself or go back to him... they fit perfectly they shouldn't have any problems... but if you paid him to install it and it's doin that get your money back or have him fix it... the guy hooked them up backwards
Old 08-06-2008, 12:55 PM
*moderator*

The plugged them in incorrectly (probably why they couldn't screw them in as well) They plugged the blinkers into the brake and vice versa. This is a simple plug and play mod, don't pay anyone to "try" and fix it for you...
Old 08-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Dude - just trust me when I tell you that I have spent lots of time with these lights lately and today I just found out that the problem isn't with the lights. The problem is a bad connection. I had the same problem as you: fast blinking.

Read this thread: http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...t-pics-11.html

I would NOT take it to the dealer to be raped like I was today by another mechanic, just unplug it and re-plug it yourself. Just be careful not to screw up the fuses like I did though!

Good luck!
Old 08-07-2008, 12:54 AM

allright i will try to open them up tomorrow... One thing they did show me was that they said one out of the two connectors on the unit's wire was too short and that they couldnt get the wire to reach properly...

Well I will open er up tomorrow and see if i can fix it myself.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:25 AM
Go ahead... try me

dont these LED tails come with installation instructions? sometimes shops don't know s**t when it comes to installing stuff like that. When I was having my GSXR customized... the shop did alll the work, but they couldn't install the HID kit... I installed it at home in 15 minutes.

my point is... sometimes shops don't know much about these things because they don't do them on regular basis... you're better off reading threads on this forum or the 6thgenmaxima.org forum and do it yourself bro...and if you needed any other advice... plenty of people on here that have LED tails and they installed them themselves.

Last edited by DEADBOLT; 08-07-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:08 PM

Thanks for everyones advice here... I opened the lights up myself and saw that the auto shop who installed them plugged the two connectors on each light in the opposite spots. Also when I had the auto shop install them they told me that the lights were "defective" and that one cable was too short, and that they didnt screw in properly... Those guys were complete frakkin idiots, I cannot believe they work in an auto shop.

A word of advice with these lights to everyone who is thinking about purchasing these lights - DO NOT TAKE THEM TO BE INSTALLED ANYWHERE - DO IT YOUSELF - they are very easy to install once you can take the lights out. If you take it somewhere that has morons working for them they may mess your lights up, scratch your car trying to take the lights out, and then say that the lights are defective.

By the way the place is Performance Auto in Dayton Ohio off Troy Pike.

Last edited by jattsingh; 08-07-2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-07-2008, 09:21 PM
*moderator*

Nicely done, we're always here to help. I knew nothing about nothing when I first started coming on this site, now look at me....
Old 08-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Go ahead... try me

Originally Posted by jattsingh
Thanks for everyones advice here... I opened the lights up myself and saw that the auto shop who installed them plugged the two connectors on each light in the opposite spots. Also when I had the auto shop install them they told me that the lights were "defective" and that one cable was too short, and that they didnt screw in properly... Those guys were complete frakkin idiots, I cannot believe they work in an auto shop.

A word of advice with these lights to everyone who is thinking about purchasing these lights - DO NOT TAKE THEM TO BE INSTALLED ANYWHERE - DO IT YOUSELF - they are very easy to install once you can take the lights out. If you take it somewhere that has morons working for them they may mess your lights up, scratch your car trying to take the lights out, and then say that the lights are defective.

By the way the place is Performance Auto in Dayton Ohio off Troy Pike.

Good job Jatt... I knew you could do it bro. Probably easy to do too... . Like J said.. we're always here to help bro.