6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Need new tires - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hi all,

It's about time for a new set of tires for me. I've been through the RSA sidewall debacle and ended up replacing them with a pair of Dunlop Sport 5000m's which seemed to be better than the RSAs and a little cheaper. I'm at just over 70K now, and will be making some longer trips soon and would feel better heading into them with new shoes. So, I was wondering if anyone can recommend any decent tires at a reasonable cost? I recall there being some discussion about some less expensive tires with good performance coming out soon, but didn't know if anyone has had any experience with them (sorry I don't recall the brand name)?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2008, 10:27 AM

Check out the General Exclaims.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:05 PM

Yokohama AVID W4s, excellent tires if you push your car or just drive regular, awesome in the rain I had my car up to 90 in a down pour and my friend in his A4 was impressed cause he has AWD I'm a Yokohama tire *****, I usually try all the performance tires.

Excellent price, wear and good quality, tirerack.com has them for $157, depending what your local installer can get them for depends, then mounting/balancing
Old 08-21-2008, 04:43 PM

I have the Yokohama YK520, I was told it was only available at Discount Tire (America's Tire). The first set lasted about 40K, which is awesome for an 18" tire. They were a lot less expensive than they Pirelli Zero Neros I had and are better in the rain.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:51 PM

The problem with asking for advice on tires is that everyone has their own opinions based on different needs. I tend to opt for the highest performance possible from tires and have no consideration for wet weather conditions because I live in southern california where there is little rain. You have have wet weather considerations. Maybe you dont care about performance. Maybe you have a tight budget and price is the biggest concern. In any event, its good to try some of the tire comparisons online and see what fits ur needs. Tirerack is a good source. From my own personal experience, I find Yokos to be very good tires overall. I find Falkens to be good bang for the buck but not as good as Yokos. My 2 cents.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:17 PM

I have some Nexen N3000's (245/35/20's) and I like them alot.Them have good traction and seem to wear pretty good.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:21 PM

Like the gentleman said, different people have different needs. I find the ContiExtreme's to do me well. I have no problems with them but others have said otherwise.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:26 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Well I can tell you my experience with Dunlop DZ101s:

Great grip, wet or dry; quiet UP TO about 8k miles. After that things go down hill.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:49 PM

Go with Toyo proxes4 performance tires, you'll not regret it. They hook up great wet or dry. And the ride on bumps is awesome! I have my first set and they ride from the stock is a whole lot better.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:18 AM

Like Dues said, that question is HIGHLY based on ones own needs and environment.

But...in general I think the Generals have the best bang for the buck for most environments. Yoko's make nice tires and so does Toyo.

Summer and rain without extreme cold temperatures but with extreme prices- for sure the Michelin PS2's!!!

An absolute amazing tire that speaks loud to you in terms of road communication while being quiet otherwise (almost mute). I adore these tires and always look forward to turns!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 08:52 AM

costco is having a sell on their MICHELIN performance tires, worth checkin out if you are a costco member.....

http://tires.costco.com/TireInformat...ml?pn=AugFence
Old 08-22-2008, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I live in Missouri, so we get marginally cold winters here sometimes, with ice/snow (although I won't be driving the Max much in the winter). I also need good wet/dry performance.

I'll check out everyone's suggestions and do some more research. One thing I know for certain though is that I will be staying away from Goodyear if I can.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:28 PM

Yeah tell me about it. The RSA's suck!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 01:09 PM
*moderator*

TOYO's FTW....
Old 08-22-2008, 01:28 PM

I'm on the Nexen3000 tires, great bargain tire. Like $600-700 installed out the door. Excellent dry performance. Wet is great when they are new. I'm about half life on these and the road feedback was less that I would have liked during a pretty heavy down pour. It could have been just the fact there was so much water on the road. Heck I was even started worring about my CAI taking water from over an hour of splash back, so maybe I was expecting to much from them. I'd buy em again if that means anything to you.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:03 PM
*moderator*

Toyo Proxes4 $124 ea. here. In 245/35/20....
http://www.performanceplustire.com/p...-20#prodAnchor
Old 08-22-2008, 05:07 PM

I like nitto NeoGens or NT555's. Both are nice tires
Old 08-22-2008, 05:07 PM

i like my nitto nt-555 good all around performance. i have yet to lose traction in the rain
Old 08-22-2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I live in Missouri, so we get marginally cold winters here sometimes, with ice/snow (although I won't be driving the Max much in the winter). I also need good wet/dry performance.

I'll check out everyone's suggestions and do some more research. One thing I know for certain though is that I will be staying away from Goodyear if I can.
Read reviews on tirerack.com but make sure the review is from someone driving a car with a similar weight/size
Old 08-22-2008, 10:31 PM

Guessing you have an SE, so you will need 245/45/18s?

Check out the Sessanta... been hearing nothing but good things about this tire.

http://www.performanceplustire.com/p...686#prodAnchor
Old 08-23-2008, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by kronickz
I like nitto NeoGens or NT555's. Both are nice tires
The NT 555's are summer tires though right?
Old 08-23-2008, 10:28 PM

Thank god Im looking for new tires too.. But i live in chicago and Im strapped for cash, and winters are brutal here can anyone help me out and find some good tires for a decent price...
Old 08-24-2008, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Icons04SilverMax
Thank god Im looking for new tires too.. But i live in chicago and Im strapped for cash, and winters are brutal here can anyone help me out and find some good tires for a decent price...
tirerack.com
Old 02-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by UhhWateva
I have Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position High Performance All Season tires, and they grip alot better in all conditions then the stocks did, i dont drive enough to remark on wear/long term use, but yeah, you'll notice a difference... I do have a question though, if I were to switch to an ultra high performance summer tire over my current ones, would their be a noticeable increase in performance?
I looked at these as well. The review's and comparison's I looked at loved these tires. The guy at the tire shop said these are meant for a heavier car so the ride would be worse. I am getting the Firestone Firehawk GT's put on right now. We'll see how I like them. Anyone have any thoughts on these tires??
Old 02-28-2009, 06:02 PM

Put Michelin Primacy MXV4's on wifes SL and they are very good tires. Huge improvement over those Conti's that came on the car.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:26 PM

I've got the goodyear eagle gt's on my max. They are a really good tire.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I can't really comment on the Firehawk GT's yet as the roads here in MN are half dry and half wet. The car already feels more stable in turns, not as squishy as the stock goodyear's.

I did prefer the look of the goodyear's to these though. I know a lot of people hate the goodyear's but I bought the car with 50,000 miles on it, and they still had some tread left at 105,000. That's a pretty good run on any tire.

Apparently the pressure gauge at Tire's plus isn't working correctly because I drove around all day yesterday with the tires at 45 psi. I'm going to drop it down to 34 today and see how she feels.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Incognito

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
i like my nitto nt-555 good all around performance. i have yet to lose traction in the rain
Same, I like the Nittos I have, only problem is the tread life is horrible.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:26 AM

Tires

Yokohama AVID W4s are a good choice. Whatever you do, check out Tirerack.com I just bought another set thru them (second set but different cars). The have a great selection and the reviews are extensive and very helpful.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Burny
Put Michelin Primacy MXV4's on wifes SL and they are very good tires. Huge improvement over those Conti's that came on the car.
I didn't know Nissan offered Conti's. I bought the Conti Extreme All Season's and loved em. Nice ride for the cost.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:58 PM

I bought my 06 sl with riken raptors and i think its causing an waddle.Already had them balanced..will be replacing as soon as possible only problem is there brand new so iam gonna get some miles outta them first.Will probably replace with oe tires
Old 03-04-2009, 04:51 AM

someone told me that TOYO's are pretty good - replies please.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm fixing to put Michelin Primacy mxv4's on my max tomorrow. After researching it to death, I just got to go with what I know will be best.

I thought about putting the michelin hydroedge on to save a few bucks but talked to a couple local tire guys that were straight up and said they would be great for about 20,000 miles and then be awful. The hard rubber is not really meant for a low profile tire. Continentals were only $12/tire less. Yoko's were close to that. The khumo's were priced nice but its probably only a 30,000 mile tire and I dont want to fool with that. He told me the Yoko's were nice tires but really overpriced for what they offered.

So I'm going with what I feel will be the best. Michelin's haven't let me down yet. Pretty stoked. Hate that we have 9.5% sales tax, but I am glad we dont have any income tax.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

First off where do you live? What's the weather like? Do you want tire advice from a guy who drives in hot/warm weather year round in San Diego when you live up in Detroit Michican! You have to buy tires based on the knowledge of your driving environment, weather conditions, your goals, thread life, will you be swapping them out in the summer/winter etc? You may get more reliable feedback based on this key info!!!

For my environment BF Goodrich g-force KDW-II work great (awesome summer/wet weather tires, not great for snow)

Another tire that has been getting great reviews recently is the NITTO NT-05

Old 03-13-2009, 11:41 AM

Awesome Summer Tire I'm looking into... Anyone heard of them?

I still have the stock Eagle's on my car but just bought some 20" rims and was looking for some tires. When I was in Texas I saw some tires at this shop. They were Vredestein Sessantas... they were totally hott, looked awesome, and seemed to be a perfect fit on my car. The guy at the shop recommended 245.45.20 or 255.35.20. They look really good and are summer tires--I'm in the south & here it never gets cold anyway and we have pretty decent roads. These tires are thicker and seem to be wider than most tires but they were 20x8.5--I assume its just more rubber in the places that would need it. Here is a link to the site for some info about them: Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta Series Tires
Old 03-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Hi all,

It's about time for a new set of tires for me. I've been through the RSA sidewall debacle and ended up replacing them with a pair of Dunlop Sport 5000m's which seemed to be better than the RSAs and a little cheaper. I'm at just over 70K now, and will be making some longer trips soon and would feel better heading into them with new shoes. So, I was wondering if anyone can recommend any decent tires at a reasonable cost? I recall there being some discussion about some less expensive tires with good performance coming out soon, but didn't know if anyone has had any experience with them (sorry I don't recall the brand name)?

Thanks!
There are many online stores selling tires, but I have bought tires earlier from this very professional online store and was completely satisfied with the service. Please try out: www.clicktire.com , they are trained and qualified besides providing you with the customer service and satisfaction to fit your budget and needs.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:46 AM

While we are on the tire issue, here is a quick question:
Nexen N3000 245-45 ZR18 100Y for $484.30 shipped from Tire-easy
or
General Exclaim UHP 245-45 ZR18 100W for $545.44 shipped from Treadepot?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
I still have the stock Eagle's on my car but just bought some 20" rims and was looking for some tires. When I was in Texas I saw some tires at this shop. They were Vredestein Sessantas... they were totally hott, looked awesome, and seemed to be a perfect fit on my car. The guy at the shop recommended 245.45.20 or 255.35.20. They look really good and are summer tires--I'm in the south & here it never gets cold anyway and we have pretty decent roads. These tires are thicker and seem to be wider than most tires but they were 20x8.5--I assume its just more rubber in the places that would need it. Here is a link to the site for some info about them: Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta Series Tires
Those are good shoes, for sure... When I wear down my Nitto Invos, those are next.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
Check out the General Exclaims.
They are really good tires. I like the tread patter. Definitely recommend those, man. I have 2 that I used when there was that recall on the Eagle's a while back. They seem thicker than the stocks and the ride is better. I'm still gonna go with my Vredestein's though when I can get some at a decent price.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have an 04 Max, live in northern CA where the winters are wet and the summers are HOT. I drive in town mostly with an occasional longer drive to SF or LA. I need 2 new tires. The Yokos I have only lasted 20k. I'm thinking of getting new tires locally, which means my choices are Goodyear Eagle or Riken, both of which will cost around $310, installed, or Michelin-Pilot from Costco, which are way more expensive at around $550 out the door for 2. Price is always a factor, but how well tires hold the road in wet weather and how often I'd need to replace them need to be factored in, too. Any advice is appreciated.

Quick Reply: Need new tires - recommendations?