6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

swap from 5at to CVT??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:07 PM

swap from 5at to CVT??

I was looking to swap to a CVT instead of this piece I have now. Wondering if this is possible and whether or not the CVT is worth the investment?
Old 09-02-2008, 06:38 PM

cvt=garbage everyone I know has had probs with them
Old 09-02-2008, 06:41 PM

Hmm.......I have not seen a lot of problems with them on this board. Mine is doing just fine as a matter of fact. Do you have numbers or stats to back your statement?
Old 09-02-2008, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by JRoX85
garbage based on what..Also what problems..15,000 miles and not a single thing yet..Just want to know what problems I'm in for..And as for people who say I rather have a 5at, the CVT takes away from the sportiness.. I never understood that statement, when did automatics become sporty..
Old 09-02-2008, 07:07 PM

Agreed, an automatic is an automatic. The CVT is just a different type of automatic. 23k on mine and running strong...........
Old 09-02-2008, 07:12 PM

the cvt isn't "garbage." nissan spent quite a bit of time and development on them, first equipping the murano with them. it had some issues at first but it's been resolved iirc.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:28 PM

back it up with facts, or you will look stupid
Old 09-02-2008, 08:13 PM

There is a lot of fail in here
Old 09-02-2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Shoey1
back it up with facts, or you will look stupid
he read something online and based an opinion on that
Old 09-02-2008, 11:07 PM

17k and running strong. spank an 06 or 07 tls yesterday and today. all i have is a nismo cai and 17k of experience with a cvt, so it must be the tranny.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:39 PM
.org extraordinaire

o wow, man you dont want that.

CVT =

Save your $$ for either the 6sp or a modded and rebuilt 5sp Auto like chernmax has.

Kamski
Old 09-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Go ahead... try me

I've driven an 08 CVT Maxima as a rental for a month when my vehicle was stolen. I never liked it personally becuz the engine sound was louder than any other automatic I've ever driven.... I started using the 6spd AT tiptronic transmission every single time I drove the car. Here's a link i came across when searching for CVT problems...

http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=161947
Old 09-03-2008, 08:07 PM

ohh well worth a shot. thanks for the link proves yet again nissan doesn't know what the hell they are doing. I think I will trade it in for the new camaro. 22k and 300+hp might be worth looking at anyway. V6 30 MPG.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
ohh well worth a shot. thanks for the link proves yet again nissan doesn't know what the hell they are doing. I think I will trade it in for the new camaro. 22k and 300+hp might be worth looking at anyway. V6 30 MPG.
You will be in for a treat if you think your nissan will have less problems than the new V6 camaro that is coming out. As for the V8, thats a different story; many engine options for that puppy.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:37 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

It cracks me up when people say "15,000 miles and still going strong". Did you expect it to fail after only 15K miles?????????

Most 5ATs here failed in the range of 35-55K miles.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:00 AM

950 miles and still goin' strong, LOL... I am still on the tail end of breaking it in, but this CVT works much better than the one on the 08 Camry Hybrid I just traded in. That car was completely gutless (and I think the EMFs fried my junk a little bit). With this CVT, it seems you can pick your rpm by how far you press in with the pedal, and you can just keep it pegged there there while the speedo sweeps up. This VQ has great low end, so a lot can be accomplished keeping the RPM at 3.5-4K. Takes some adjustment, but I really like it right now.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com

Really? Mine is still going strong at 70k. :knock on wood: Maybe it's because people fool around with them too much like flushing at 30k miles. I don't think mine has been touched since it left the factory. I'll change fluid here in the next 5k though.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:50 PM

It cracks me up when people say "15,000 miles and still going strong". Did you expect it to fail after only 15K miles?????????

Most don't fail at all, no internet forum is a true representation of the small percentage of cars that have problems and most problems are owner related
Old 09-04-2008, 02:13 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

yeah, but if you go to the dealer to drop of your car and 3-4 more cars are getting the tranny replaced what do you call it? koinkidink? don't think so.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:34 PM

yeah, but if you go to the dealer to drop of your car and 3-4 more cars are getting the tranny replaced what do you call it? koinkidink? don't think so.
HAHA, actually every time I go to the dealer their is a Maxima with a ceased engine, their is an 05 sitting in the shop with 37,000 and no oil change ever and a Quest with 30k has a ceased engine the bill for the Maxima is about $9000

Some owners just neglect the hell out of the car
Old 09-04-2008, 02:58 PM

Back up time. cvt trans if goes bad whole tranny has to be replaced, my friend has been through two and now his warranty is over he needs another one. You newbs that have 15k on your motor LOL give me a break its 15 k it has been through what 4 maybe 5 oil changes, and for you guys sayin I read things online. Do your homework on the cvt max before you post!!!!! A lot has not gone into development on it. They slapped it togethar in under a year. The 5spdd auto had about 2yrs development, and oh yeh dont plan on goin fi on it bc you wont have a car LOL. I have owned Nissan's all my life from a blubird swapped sentra, to an rb swapped 240. Call me out all you want but search engine is your friend. Ask anyone who has a cvt with over 30k on it and about 80% Will say the same thing. My brother is a tech at Infiniti and he dogs them all the time, sayin how week they are and how bad build quality was.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:42 PM

No, but I'm simply stating that I've had no problems yet...:since all the experts here claim its trash and will break down..just makes me wonder when someone who never went to school for this kinda stuff, or doesn't build engines for nissan. knows more then nissans own engineers...Its no big deal, our cars, our problem..It if it doesn't hold, it doesn't hold..We will see in a few years i guess.

Last edited by blackmax07; 09-04-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:50 PM

Back up time. cvt trans if goes bad whole tranny has to be replaced, my friend has been through two and now his warranty is over he needs another one. You newbs that have 15k on your motor LOL give me a break its 15 k it has been through what 4 maybe 5 oil changes, and for you guys sayin I read things online. Do your homework on the cvt max before you post!!!!! A lot has not gone into development on it. They slapped it togethar in under a year. The 5spdd auto had about 2yrs development, and oh yeh dont plan on goin fi on it bc you wont have a car LOL. I have owned Nissan's all my life from a blubird swapped sentra, to an rb swapped 240. Call me out all you want but search engine is your friend. Ask anyone who has a cvt with over 30k on it and about 80% Will say the same thing. My brother is a tech at Infiniti and he dogs them all the time, sayin how week they are and how bad build quality was.
Do your information before you post? Dude its a forum, everyone has their opinion..Wrong or right, we're all here to learn..You said the CVT was slapped together in a year? Nissans actually been using it in the Murano since 2003..So I'm sure they've done they're research, and it wasn't slapped togother in a year as you claim..Because the Murano back in 2003 was the test mule, and they now introduced it to the Altima and Maxima..

2007-2003 is 4 years? not 1?
Old 09-04-2008, 04:41 PM

I have 32k on my 07 maxima and i havent had any problems with the cvt yet.the car pulls really good when i punch it and once it hits about 25 it pulls even harder.I just keep up with the maintenance as it needs it
Old 09-04-2008, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by blackmax07
Do your information before you post? Dude its a forum, everyone has their opinion..Wrong or right, we're all here to learn..You said the CVT was slapped together in a year? Nissans actually been using it in the Murano since 2003..So I'm sure they've done they're research, and it wasn't slapped togother in a year as you claim..Because the Murano back in 2003 was the test mule, and they now introduced it to the Altima and Maxima..

Murano is not a maxima last time I checked
Old 09-04-2008, 05:59 PM

i think he meant that it took them a year to develop it..... not that is been used for a year
Old 09-04-2008, 06:03 PM

Murano is not a maxima last time I checked
yeah but the CVT in the Murano went right into the Maxima..Kinda like when they say "ohh this car uses the same platform as (insert car).."
Old 09-04-2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
wow just bash nissan as if every other car manufacture is perfect... GL with your "perfect" camero lol, i wont even argue... i personally think CVT>5at as far as how it responds to mods
Old 09-04-2008, 08:10 PM

Tech talk trash about the vehicles they work on, when you know every conceivable problem you don't want to own the car.

If you think Nissans and Infinitis are bad, the Germans are horrendous

Even if Nissan put the CVT together in a year so what, how long are they suppose to take in making it, if you take a group who work on it full time then that's a lot of man hours invested in a new transmission, and sad but true but the car buying public does the real research and development
Old 09-04-2008, 08:14 PM

yeah but the CVT in the Murano went right into the Maxima..Kinda like when they say "ohh this car uses the same platform as (insert car).."
If the Murano weighs more then a Maxima then the CVT is more then well equipped to handle the Maxima, you always want a engine or trans that is developed for a heavier platform cause it is stronger and indirectly working less which increases it's usable life
Old 09-04-2008, 10:31 PM

CVT sucks. either rebuild your 5AT or swap it out for the 6MT
Also there are minor things such as why are the 6.5gens 255HP and not 265? (you may have to downtune your max to make it work! haha)
Im pretty sure something within the PCU is also changed.

sorry my .03cents

You floor it onto the highway and its one continual gear/tone.
CVT Slipps and it feels as if you had a full car(5ppl) with a full trunk the tranny will just collapse.
Main reason CVT came out was to save on fuel and target the older crowd, since the older crowd doesnt like the movement of gear changing.

And YES Ive worked on Nissans, STI, EVO, BMWs cept Hondas.

Last edited by jingiko; 09-04-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:35 AM
Go ahead... try me

Just becuz you think a lot of "man hours" have been invested in it doesn't mean ****. When you say man hours... is that 8 hours a day withOUT breaks? that's cutting it down to 6... not including holidays, weekends, days off, yadda yadda.. Just becuz it's been in a Murano... doesn't mean it's the same way in a Maxima. Body weight, functionality... etc is completely different. Like a G35 or a 350Z... similar, but NOT the same. I've driven CVTs before for long periods of time, and they SUCK. Like I mentioned before.. the engine sound is louder than typical engine... manual or auto. I had to take back the rental I had for a month TWICE to exchange it for another Maxima, thinking somethin was wrong with it... BOTH had 8K miles on them.

some consider it "state of the art"... some consider it "plain useless"... each is entitled to their own opinion about it. If the MECHANICS that work on those Trannys and engine complain about how many problems they see in them... doesn't that mean somethin? it's not about complaining about a perticular job or customer... it's the invention in general. If i change 1 switch on 1 car and complain, then shut me up. BUT if i change the same damn switch on the same kind of car over and over... then somethin is WRONG with the entire invention of that damn switch. It's common sense.

We might not see things eye-to-eye... or even agree on a lot of things, but that doesn't mean we're wrong or right. To each his own. I hate yellow cars, but some might love it... does that make you or I wrong? NO...The way I see it... when your *** buys a car... if you don't like the options came with it, then don't buy it. if you wanted 5AT or 6MT... then buy a car that already has it. That's like buyin a Maxima with a sunroof and wanting to get a skyview in it... complete bull**** and a waste of time.

This thread isn't about who knows more about what... or who's ignorant or a genius. YOU won't know what YOU like unless YOU try it. YOU want CVT? get it... if you're not sure... research about it, don't ask for opinions... becuz you'll a wide range of of them roaming in your head. If you personally don't like anything about your car... either sell it or STFU and keep it... it's that simple.

Last edited by DEADBOLT; 09-05-2008 at 02:40 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jingiko
CVT sucks. either rebuild your 5AT or swap it out for the 6MT
Also there are minor things such as why are the 6.5gens 255HP and not 265? (you may have to downtune your max to make it work! haha)
Im pretty sure something within the PCU is also changed.

sorry my .03cents

You floor it onto the highway and its one continual gear/tone.
CVT Slipps and it feels as if you had a full car(5ppl) with a full trunk the tranny will just collapse.
Main reason CVT came out was to save on fuel and target the older crowd, since the older crowd doesnt like the movement of gear changing.

And YES Ive worked on Nissans, STI, EVO, BMWs cept Hondas.

There was no actual reduction in HP (265 to 255) in the gen 6.5 Maxima. The apparent reduction in HP was because of a change in how it is measured starting with the 2007 model year due to the Society of Automotive Engineers introduction of a new standardized horsepower measuring system.

Also, If you think the Nissan CVT has issues (which, by the way, no one has shown any stats that it has a higher failure or repair rate than the average conventional AT), just read about all the problems with the AT in the Acura CL's and TL's.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:54 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

No, but I'm simply stating that I've had no problems yet...:since all the experts here claim its trash and will break down..just makes me wonder when someone who never went to school for this kinda stuff, or doesn't build engines for nissan. knows more then nissans own engineers...Its no big deal, our cars, our problem..It if it doesn't hold, it doesn't hold..We will see in a few years i guess.
The thing is that NISSAN didn't build the 5AT tranny, the tranny has been built and used in other cars (example VOLVO) before the 6th gen even hit the market. I am not sure of the spelling but it's ASIN WAREN who builds these below average trannies.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:56 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by MaxEx
Really? Mine is still going strong at 70k. :knock on wood: Maybe it's because people fool around with them too much like flushing at 30k miles. I don't think mine has been touched since it left the factory. I'll change fluid here in the next 5k though.
You have a higher chance of failure if you flush at 75K than if you did at 30K, just so you know.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:07 AM

everyone who doesnt have CVT....hates on it, bottom line i mean i have it i cant say im a huge fan but the only other thing id rather have it 6speed so
Old 09-05-2008, 12:30 PM

You have a higher chance of failure if you flush at 75K than if you did at 30K, just so you know.
I was going to keep my mouth shut on this one as it has been exhausted many times, but yes you are correct
Old 09-05-2008, 04:03 PM

wow so I just read all the replies and seems like there is alot of disputes between you all. I mean I am on my second transmission with a rebuilt valvebody and it sux my a**. I loved this transmission when I first got it but now I am pretty much fed up with it. I have the option to take nissan to court but for what a new tranny that will die in another year like this one. That is why I was looking to a swap. This tranny has been in Volvo and in Saturn for about 6-8 years. I called Volvo and they said they have done one swap since it was introduced to their cars. Sounds like a nissan problem not a tranny problem. I think something electrical is causing the tranny to go bad. I am not alone either. there were three of us at the same dealer in Hawaii of all places with the same tranny issues. The other two were under warrenty. I however am not. Nissan USA said they will cover 15% of the repairs to whatever I get done to fix the issue. They don't know what's wrong with it. I am pretty pissed off at them for this. I told myself after I bought a Ford Explodition that I would never buy an american made car but I am leaning in that direction again. Ohh and to resolve some arguements, None of us on here knew about the 5at Problems till a couple months ago and everyone who had them where 04 and early 05's with the most with around 50k miles or more so CVT has some catching up to do. I do drive my car hard but I take care of it in the garage as well. I change oil every 3k and lube and rotate everything clean as a whistle. I have changed my tranny fluid at least 5 times and even tried royal purple which lasted about 2 months till I had the fluid flushed out. I think I will pursue my lawsuit and hope for the best. I have a tranny shop that will warrenty my tranny for 3 years so that is where I will get it done. If I had the time I would start a class action lawsuit but being in the military really takes up all my time.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:02 PM

The thing is that NISSAN didn't build the 5AT tranny, the tranny has been built and used in other cars (example VOLVO) before the 6th gen even hit the market. I am not sure of the spelling but it's ASIN WAREN who builds these below average trannies.
I thought the Nissan Transmissions where made by Jatco, Aisin I thought was Honda/Acura cause I remember Aisin as Honda, cause back in the mid to late 90's if a Honda had a slipping trans it was most likely the Aisin trans, so when you had it replaced in a Legend or Vigor you wanted a Honda trans

I looked on Wikipedia and Im not seeing Nissan Maxima

The new 7speed Infiniti is Jatco
Old 09-05-2008, 07:06 PM

po8pimp

it sucks cause when you have no problems it's the greatest car and when somethings wrong everything sucks and the company does not care

if it was my car, I would look into a trans shop to rebuild it and make it stronger, or get an extended warranty, wait a month and call it in

Quick Reply: swap from 5at to CVT??