6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Seized Calipers??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:27 PM

Seized Calipers??

Hey guys,

So I got another issue with my 2004 SE. I had all four pads replaced at 60000km, I'm at 80000km and my rear right pad is down to metal and is grinding. In fact, there are half inch scratches on the rotor. All other pads/rotors are fine.

It appears that the piston is ok, as I can push them in using a clamp. However the calipers are completely seized (and do not budge) when they are properly torqued. That said, the thing is when I loosen the top sliding pin (bottom pin torqued), the caliper works fine as I can push them in and out with my hand. But as soon as I tighten the top pin (even by hand) the caliper is completely stuck and does not move.

Not sure if this makes sense to anyone, but the only thing I can think of is that it is a manufacturers defect. Possibly the pin is not aligned correctly when it gets torqued??

Also to note, when I changed the pads at 60000km, I remember that one side (inner and outer) of the pad was significantly more worn (almost to metal) than the other. I do not remember if it was the side in question now, but I'm thinking it was an issue in the past as well.

If this makes any type of sense to anyone, any type of help would be appreciated. Just trying to figure out if the caliper is salvageable.

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:33 PM

i think you mean the slide pins that the caliper bolts to an "floats" on? if so you will probably have to work them free, clean them till they are shiny and new looking and then lube the **** out of them and stick them back in. the front calipers on mine are a bit stiff but still move freely enough. i am in the same boat as you almost. did you do your brakes yourself last time, or did you have it taken to a shop?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:59 PM

From what you have explained it is NOT the caliper seized/frozen, but does sound like the sliding pins weren't properly installed and/or lubricated. I would unbolt the pin and check that its not dry, bent/scratched and for any foreign materials (ie. dirt/grime etc) check the rubber boot that it slides into for cracks/rips and that there is no debris in it. After inspecting everything you will need to clean, re-lube and install... also, sounds like your going to need to replace those rotors (do the set if one needs replacement) and new pads. If you don't know how to do this find someone that does, if you took it to a place and this is what happened I would make them pay to replace everything. BTW don't think I have to say this but I would not drive the car until this has been fixed. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by carlosr
From what you have explained it is NOT the caliper seized/frozen, but does sound like the sliding pins weren't properly installed and/or lubricated. I would unbolt the pin and check that its not dry, bent/scratched and for any foreign materials (ie. dirt/grime etc) check the rubber boot that it slides into for cracks/rips and that there is no debris in it. After inspecting everything you will need to clean, re-lube and install... also, sounds like your going to need to replace those rotors (do the set if one needs replacement) and new pads. If you don't know how to do this find someone that does, if you took it to a place and this is what happened I would make them pay to replace everything. BTW don't think I have to say this but I would not drive the car until this has been fixed. Good luck.
Thanks for the responses.

I have replaced the brakes myself, and as always I re-lubed the pins when I installed the new pads. I am not sure what you mean when you say the sliding pins may be installed incorrectly, as I lubed and torqued them (not sure what else needs to be done). Again, all my other pads/rotors are fine it is just this one that is giving me problems.

The real question that I am having trouble figuring out is why the sliding pins work perfectly when they are semi tight by hand, but as soon as I tighten them with any strength the caliper/pins don't move at all.

I'm thinking it may be a pre-existing condition when I got the car, cause I had severe uneven brake wear when I was changing the rear brakes.

I'm going to replace the rotors and pads again, but I'm trying to get to the root of the problem.