6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Bad strut or CV joint?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Bad strut or CV joint?

Hi everyone,

I've been noticing that there has been a knocking sound coming from the front driver's side for a while now when going over bumps (inconsistently), and I've even had the dealership check it out (when it was still under warranty), but they said that the struts were fine. Well, I went out Saturday night and during the trip I noticed that as I turned (I think mostly left hand turns?) there would be a series of loud popping sounds (happens mostly at slow speeds).

Does this sound more like a CV joint or strut (I'm thinking CV joint)? Has anyone else had similar problems? I've now got 74K on the odometer, so I'm far out of warranty... anyone know how much replacement cost might be?

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Hi everyone,

I've been noticing that there has been a knocking sound coming from the front driver's side for a while now when going over bumps (inconsistently), and I've even had the dealership check it out (when it was still under warranty), but they said that the struts were fine. Well, I went out Saturday night and during the trip I noticed that as I turned (I think mostly left hand turns?) there would be a series of loud popping sounds (happens mostly at slow speeds).

Does this sound more like a CV joint or strut (I'm thinking CV joint)? Has anyone else had similar problems? I've now got 74K on the odometer, so I'm far out of warranty... anyone know how much replacement cost might be?

Thanks!
I don't know where you reside, but most of the shops around my area offered free inspection of struts and shocks. They might need to take the car for a spin. Pep boys will look at them for 20 something dollars and determine whether they're bad or not. And if you do the work there, they wave that fee...I think most shops have this policy anyways.

Have you ever changed your struts and or shocks? I talked to a Nissan Technician today (he rode with me to check knocking noise in my car) and he told me that the struts on the 6th gen are very poorly designed. I am VERY surprised your struts are still good after 74 k. You must have heavingly road conditions too.

Also, when you check the struts, have them check the strut mounts too. I learned this the hard way. Online you can get KYB ones for 40 bucks.

Since you experience knocking sound on BOTH straights (going over bumps) and turn, it could be either or at this point.

Just have someone check em
Old 12-15-2008, 03:08 PM

i have the same issue i think its in the ball joints i have had it on teh hoist at work 3 times and me and the other techs cant find enything wrong with it because there is no play in the joints when they are hanging and will only do it on the ground. so i check the front end once a month for wear on anything and havent foind anything yet. i noticed the noise is gone since it got cold out.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You might want to check you wheel barring. I am getting mine replaced tomarrow. I will cost me about $250 at nissan.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:44 PM

i just got my done today.... it was my strunts and strut mounts. both were shot but i had your problem. Its common on our cars from about 30k...cost me $589.00
Old 12-16-2008, 06:22 PM

I have the same knocking here too, however I removed my Racingline Performance FSTB and will leave it off for a few days to see if the 'knocking' doesn't disappear. If it is still there, then I know I can put the FSTB back on and troubleshoot something else. It's an 2008 SE with 18,000 miles on it, 13 months old. Looks like to me Nissan has a defective flaw in struts, ball joints, or something underneath.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:07 PM

I purchased a rebuilt axle after i crushed the threads on my perfectly good axle...

There would be popping and slight jerking during turns and some slight wheel shimmy at highway speeds. I jacked the car up, inspected it, didn't do crap, put it back down and the thing was good. This happened a couple times, but each time I just jacked it up and then back down and everything was alright, so give that a try.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same right front noise with my 2004 Nissan Maxima. Replaced the front end links first but noise still remains. My mechanic doesn't seem to think the struts are the issue. However, I am going to replace not only both struts but also the strut mount bearings, bushings and plates as well.

Also, will be dropping my Maxima off at a transmission garage tomorrow to have the tranny rebuilt. I love my Maxima, but I think this may be the last Nissan I'll ever buy a Nissan. Nissan should be ashamed for not recalling the tranny problem and the strut problem they have to know exist. I guess it takes someone getting killed because of the malfunctions before Nissan will do anything to remedy their errors.