6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Best Suspension Setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Best Suspension Setup

You folks don't know it, but I get bombarded with suspension questions all the time. I sincerely love to answer the questions the best way I know how. It is the end of the year, and I wanted to compile a good reference and discussion on this very topic.

First off let me tell you what I believe is the best overall setup in terms of ride quality, performance, and looks-without cost taken in to consideration. I will list them in terms of importance.

1. Forged lightweight 18 or 19 inch wheels complemented with Michelin PS2's for non winter conditions(afterall tires are the only thing making contact with the rode-hopefully).

2. Eibach lowering springs due to their progressive nature. Soft ride but nice lowering(2 inches in front) and handling performance. I have rode on progressive springs and the Eibachs ride nicer. They compliment GR2's nicely.

3. Adjustable shocks and struts. I was lucky enough to aquire active tuning rear KYB AGX 8 way adjustable shocks and Koni adjustable struts for the fronts. You can have ride quality that is close to stock on these puppies but stiffen them to virtually race ready when the twisties come into view. The almost best of both worlds. Love 'em!

4. Rear and front stablilizing bars(especially rear). You get better handling with minimal degradation in ride quality.

5. Racingline front strut bar. Amazingly, these things have a unexpected added benefit--better ride quality! Plus they look beautiful.

6. Racingline end links. End links can quicken your steering response time.

The poor man's route is KYB GR2's and Eibach springs.

I believe the best wheel offset for most situations in terms of looks is +25mm to +30mm. This applies to almost any wheel size as long as stock circumfrence is maintained (wheel + tire).

Lastly, coilovers are great for handling but generally suck in terms of ride quality. To get ok ride quality you generally have to raise them so high you might as well go with regular springs.

Suspension is one of the neat things one can appreciate in everyday driving conditions be it slow or fast. When a corner comes it's nice when the car has minimal roll, is responsive, communicative, but is still smooth over rough surfaces with supple ride charateristics. The Maxima is already resonably fast. Add the right suspension setup and you have a very fun car to drive as it is practical.

So others can learn, feel free to add or refute any of the aforementioned.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...
Old 12-24-2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by coolmax05
You folks don't know it, but I get bombarded with suspension questions all the time. I sincerely love to answer the questions the best way I know how. It is the end of the year, and I wanted to compile a good reference and discussion on this very topic.

First off let me tell you what I believe is the best overall setup in terms of ride quality, performance, and looks-without cost taken in to consideration. I will list them in terms of importance.

1. Forged lightweight 18 or 19 inch wheels complemented with Michelin PS2's for non winter conditions(afterall tires are the only thing making contact with the rode-hopefully).

2. Eibach lowering springs due to their progressive nature. Soft ride but nice lowering(2 inches in front) and handling performance. I have rode on progressive springs and the Eibachs ride nicer. They compliment GR2's nicely.

3. Adjustable shocks and struts. I was lucky enough to aquire active tuning rear KYB AGX 8 way adjustable shocks and Koni adjustable struts for the fronts. You can have ride quality that is close to stock on these puppies but stiffen them to virtually race ready when the twisties come into view. The almost best of both worlds. Love 'em!

4. Rear and front stablilizing bars(especially rear). You get better handling with minimal degradation in ride quality.

5. Racingline front strut bar. Amazingly, these things have a unexpected added benefit--better ride quality! Plus they look beautiful.

I believe the best wheel offset for most situations in terms of looks is +25mm to +30mm. This applies to almost any wheel size as long as stock circumfrence is maintained (wheel + tire).

Lastly, coilovers are great for handling but generally suck in terms of ride quality. To get ok ride quality you generally have to raise them so high you might as well go with regular springs.

Suspension is one of the neat things one can appreciate in everyday driving conditions be it slow or fast. When a corner comes it's nice when the car has minimal roll, is responsive, communicative, but is still smooth over rough surfaces with supple ride charateristics. The Maxima is already resonably fast. Add the right suspension setup and you have a very fun car to drive as it is practical.

VERY INFORMATIVE..............

thanks for sharing....................
Old 12-24-2008, 10:12 PM

I agree except I like Progress springs but I have not tried any other spring. I love the adjustable struts and shocks. I also have a harness bar which further stiffens the chassis noticably. Its not everyone's cup of tea, but it does also give the people in the back seat a bar to hold on to.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:45 PM

This is awesome cuz I was wondering which springs to get... and whether or not the RSB and FSB are worth it.. ;-)

I'm going to copy and paste this for myself..
Old 12-25-2008, 02:02 AM

yep, you cant go wrong with Coolmax's advice... he has tried all the major brand of springs for our Maxima's and he's changed his suspension setup like 100 times, not to mention mine twice... so i believe he knows the do's and dont's...
Old 12-25-2008, 03:03 AM

Appreciate the info man I'm looking into upgrading my suspension soon....
Old 12-25-2008, 10:47 AM

For those who want to know whether simply changing all 4 struts and shocks to KYB Gr2 WITHOUT changing springs makes a difference...it Does. The car feels a bit more poise and tad firmer than stock struts.
I really didn't want to lower the car yet so I am glad I went this route, I carry 50 lb speakers in the trunk as well as tons of dj equipment in this grocery getter, so lowering wasn't really an option for me.

Thanks for this thread though, I wished this was posted before I changed mine so I didn't have to spend hours researching LOL.

I just found the GR2 to be the best value...ridiculously cheap for a purrdy good product. I can see myself upgrading to the adjustable agx's accompanied with some performance springs....maybe next year.

Last edited by hmr1979; 12-25-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by hmr1979
For those who want to know whether simply changing all 4 struts and shocks to KYB Gr2 WITHOUT changing springs makes a difference...it Does. The car feels a bit more poise and tad firmer than stock struts.
I really didn't want to lower the car yet so I am glad I went this route, I carry 50 lb speakers in the trunk as well as tons of dj equipment in this grocery getter, so lowering wasn't really an option for me.

Thanks for this thread though, I wished this was posted before I changed mine so I didn't have to spend hours researching LOL.

I just found the GR2 to be the best value...ridiculously cheap for a purrdy good product. I can see myself upgrading to the adjustable agx's accompanied with some performance springs....maybe next year.

How much did you pay for the struts and install?
Old 12-25-2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Lovemycar
How much did you pay for the struts and install?
One of two ways.

Parts:
Online: front set will be $50 bucks each (parts geek, ebay, and the likes)
Back set runs a tab bit cheaper because it's only shocks instead of strut assembly
Total = roughly $250-$280 depending on what shipping method you take

Store: Car Quest carries them, dunno what state you live in. But they are pretty big. They will order it if they don't have in stock free of charge
In store is a bit more expensive - $80ish fronts and $60ish for backs
My total with tax came out to around $300.

Get it online, it's cheaper but you have to wait and hope you get non-damaged material, and hope not to get return issue headaches.

Get in store and it's more expensive but warranty issues will be a breeze and you get it instantly!

Install:
Depends on where you go, but my average when I shopped around was about 55 dollars per strut/shock and you will need alignment on all 4 wheels.
My total came out to 320, but they threw in a brake rotor resurface @ lower cost.

GRAND TOTAL: roughly $600-$650 no matter what route you take. It was wellll worth it for me. Mine were all busted after 58K

*suggestion - get 2 kyb strut mount plate as well while you're at it. additional $80 for both.*
Old 12-25-2008, 12:43 PM

Cattman prices:

Progress Sport Springs for 04-08 Maxima; $159.99.

KYB GR2 Strut Set for 04-08 Maxima; $229.99.

install them yourself and save install fee...
Old 12-25-2008, 04:18 PM

thank you very much for this post!! it helps a lot
Old 12-27-2008, 02:21 PM

I'd say coilovers are the best bet, I have used progress, eibach, kyb, & monroe. My coilovers easily out handle any of the above, don't offer a harsher ride, and allow me to raise the car for winter (a plus in the midwest). I don't have experience with the k-sports or D2's which is what most people run, but a high end coilover set will easily be the best way to go.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
I'd say coilovers are the best bet, I have used progress, eibach, kyb, & monroe. My coilovers easily out handle any of the above, don't offer a harsher ride, and allow me to raise the car for winter (a plus in the midwest). I don't have experience with the k-sports or D2's which is what most people run, but a high end coilover set will easily be the best way to go.
Interesting. Care to elaborate on what kind of coilovers you have?

Can you show pics of your stance while having what you describe as just as comfortable ride quality as springs? What are the settings? Others would love to know a viable option for coilovers that perform as you describe.

Please share...
Old 12-29-2008, 04:08 PM

Last edited by Outlawd; 07-13-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:42 PM

VERY GOOD THREAD. Already lowered on Eibach springs. Waiting and searching for the right set of struts / shocks to compliment the rest of the drop.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Banned

GR2's are oem replacements...
Old 12-30-2008, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Torgus
GR2's are about 20% stiffer than OEM. Ride quality goes down, handling goes up! Eibach springs help smooth the transition...IMO
Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Congrats on the setup. I wanna do JICs too but I think Imma wait to switch to Infiniti like you.

Originally Posted by Outlawd
I haven't been on here in forever since I don't own a Max any longer. For a simple non aggressive setup....I would go with the spring and strut setup. It's cheap and does the job of giving your car a sportier look and feel. I had the K-sport coilovers on my 04 Maxima which allowed me to get a real nice dumped stance but it sacrificed the ride quality a bit. The ride was alot more stiff but nothing where it was unbearable. But being on 20's and low pro's, you do feel the road. Plus I wouldn't place K-Sport at the top of the quality brand list either but they are an extremely good bang for your buck.

I moved onto my new ride which with a VIP platform car and you don't wanna go the cheap route. I'm on JIC-Magic TAR VIP coilover suspension. It's pretty pricey but the quality of the ride and stance and craftsmanship is incomparable. Allows you to acheive that slammed VIP stance and maintain a extremely comfortable ride. JIC makes this model for the 6th gen Maxima: MSRP on it is about $2400 but who pays MSRP? Shoot, MSRP for the M is $2800...

Here's a pic of my M on JIC TAR-VIP suspension which has also been in a 3 month + wait for my custom Iforged 3pc. Wheels....

Here's a pic of my K-sport coilover drop on my previous 2004 Maxima SE Elite 6Spd...I'm actually selling those rims pictured which have been sitting in my garage for a year collecting dust - They are flawless and include tires (30% tread left)! I'll make a thread soon.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Torgus
if you mean they are identical...i would have to disagree.

price, longevity, ride quality, stiffness, all not identical.

Not saying they'll make your car a sports car, but they are not at all identical to the crappy oem struts we have on our 6th gen
Old 12-30-2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Outlawd
I'm actually selling those rims pictured which have been sitting in my garage for a year collecting dust - They are flawless and include tires (30% tread left)! I'll make a thread soon.[/U][/SIZE][/B]
why would you sell those, they look tight lol
Old 12-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hmr1979
if you mean they are identical...i would have to disagree.

price, longevity, ride quality, stiffness, all not identical.

Not saying they'll make your car a sports car, but they are not at all identical to the crappy oem struts we have on our 6th gen
they are sold as oem replacements. thats all i meant.

also they are twin tube vs mono tube if i remember correctly...

which is no good in comparison to a mono...which all aftermarkets for our cars are...
Old 12-30-2008, 03:57 PM

Interesting. Care to elaborate on what kind of coilovers you have?

Can you show pics of your stance while having what you describe as just as comfortable ride quality as springs? What are the settings? Others would love to know a viable option for coilovers that perform as you describe.

Please share...
I've got JIC's, and as Outlawd stated they offer all the improvements without the negatives.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
I've got JIC's, and as Outlawd stated they offer all the improvements without the negatives.
I see. Nice choice! May I ask how much you payed for them? How hard was the install? How 'bout a pic or two...
Old 01-03-2009, 05:25 PM

Does anyone sell that Agx 's anymore ,I thought I read somewhere the rears were basically made for altimas. Where can I get the Agx if theyre still available.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi guys!
I am looking for a suspension upgrade and have a question: did anybody try GR2 with H&R spring? Actually, what is better - Eibach or H&R? I would like to have improve handling, but worry about ride comfort: will not it be too stiff with 2'' drop of Eibach? Also will it be possible to make a proper alignment without any alignment kits?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:57 PM

Looks great Man
Old 01-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by slick101
Looks great Man
This is fine :-) But I would like to know some technical details/
Old 01-12-2009, 03:58 PM

??

which eibachs? the sportline, i think thats what they are called, or the pro kit??
Old 01-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by tonedef
which eibachs? the sportline, i think thats what they are called, or the pro kit??
No, I am talking about H&R. Just would like to know what would be better choice, Eibach (Pro Kit) or H&R.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by tonedef
There is only one kind that fits our cars...the "pro kit'.

Originally Posted by timeau
No, I am talking about H&R. Just would like to know what would be better choice, Eibach (Pro Kit) or H&R.
It all depends on your OWN priorities...

For a combination of looks(a much nicer drop in the front) and ride quality, Eibachs(in my opinion the way to go), if ride quality is your priority with a small drop in the front, and a BIGGER drop in the rear(as oppose to Eibachs), then H&R springs are the way to go. Better than stock in terms of even drop, but pales in comparison to the Eibachs.

In a nutshell, get the Eibachs. You will not regret it!!!

To maintain really good ride quality then keep your OEM shocks and struts. Or...just get GR2's in the rears only.

Taste great, less filling...
Old 01-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you for you answer, coolmax! OEM shocks and struts are too soft for me, I had Eibach on my Sentra 2001 and like them. The main reason why I am concerned is a quite big 2'' drop, so I thought that it will be even more stiff then was before on Sentra. So will buy GR2+Eibach for my Max 05.
Thank you!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:47 AM

Question for the thread... are there any adjustible shock/struts for a 2007 Maxima? Only shocks and struts I can find are the GR-2s. I'm looking for something that compares to AGX or similar. Also spring question Tein, H&R, Eibach, or Progress?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:39 AM

Thanks coolmax this has solved my dilemma I already have the eibachs but was wondering what to do next whether going coilovers or kyb but problem solved I am really not taking this to the track but for improved handling without sacrificing total ride quality I believe this has answered my questions.. So for phase II...
-racingline FSTB (already en route)
- mesh grill from china (already installed)
-Remus exhaust dual angled (ordered with the rims)
- upgrade to 20inch Donz genovese( kcmaxx had me hypnotized off those wheels)
- KYB struts (about to order now)

And that will be my upgrades for the 1st half of 2009

Last edited by Staggered357; 02-05-2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-06-2009, 08:19 AM

Last edited by Outlawd; 07-13-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by 2theMaX05
Does anyone sell that Agx 's anymore ,I thought I read somewhere the rears were basically made for altimas. Where can I get the Agx if theyre still available.

Activetuning, here is the link:

http://www.activetuning.com/products...-MX-04KYBRSHX/
Old 02-27-2009, 11:42 AM

Tein vs Eibach? Which are better given that both are progressive type springs. Thanks
Old 02-27-2009, 11:46 AM

i have Eibach springs and while they make the stance look PERFECT, the ride is a little too bouncy for me. Probably has more to do with the fact i'm still using factory struts and not the type of springs i'm using though.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:50 AM

Eibach is a great company. There are lots of Maxima's riding on them as we speak. As far as I know, Eibach have always produced quality products. One might say they set the standard.

I don't personally have experience with Tein. I do however highly recommend the Eibach springs which in my opinion ride better than Progress.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:30 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

I just have to dissagree with one thing here.

Most coilovers available for the maxima including ksport and D2 are designed in a way that no matter the ride height, the ride feel/quality will stay the same. To raise and lower the car, you dont even have to touch the spring/perch or damper settings. You just shorten the strut by way of the threaded dampener. The same suspension travel is retained. You just have a lower ride height.

The only coilovers that I'm aware of that arent made this way are Ground controls and Tein basics. Ground controls arent even a real "coilover". They are just a sleeve coilover that slides over existing shocks. And I dont believe the Teins basics are available for 6th gens.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by essential1
I just have to dissagree with one thing here.

Most coilovers available for the maxima including ksport and D2 are designed in a way that no matter the ride height, the ride feel/quality will stay the same. To raise and lower the car, you dont even have to touch the spring/perch or damper settings. You just shorten the strut by way of the threaded dampener. The same suspension travel is retained. You just have a lower ride height.

The only coilovers that I'm aware of that arent made this way are Ground controls and Tein basics. Ground controls arent even a real "coilover". They are just a sleeve coilover that slides over existing shocks. And I dont believe the Teins basics are available for 6th gens.

Interesting. Those of you with coilovers please chime in so we all can learn. Are you saying the ride quality is harsh no matter where the height is, or are you saying the ride quality is good no matter what?

Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply: Best Suspension Setup