6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Catalytic Converter Failure P0420 =--> Header Upgrade Time!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Catalytic Converter Failure P0420 =--> Header Upgrade Time!

As many of you may or may not know our cars are prone to Catalytic Converter Failure.
Our cars have three catalytic converters. One in the Y-Pipe, I've never heard of this one failing. Your can WILL pass emissions test with out it. (It may not pass a visual though, depending on how you may have eliminated it). I know a guy who bored his out even though I've heard we have very efficient cats in the Y-Pipe, it didn't make his car faster but he was still able to pass emissions. Visual and exhaust. Lesson: don't waste your time eliminating that cat.

We also have two catalytic converters at the back of the engine compartment. I believe they mount to the bottom of the exhaust manifolds. These are the ones that can fail. They can melt, restricting flow, and/or eventually start to break apart. If they start to break apart, the particals can potentially get sucked back into the engine: failure.

If one of the two pre-cats start to fail you should get a
Service Engine Soon light. You can always go to Autozone and they will pull the code for free.

Pre-cat failure codes:
P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

I believe these pre-cats are covered under the emissions warranty which goes until 80,000miles. All of the failures I know about occured before 80k.

My Service Engine Soon light came on yesterday. I went to Autozone and pulled code: P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1).

I'm at 80,200 miles. I could go back and ask Nissan them to cover it under good will or something like that. Not sure if it would work to well. They already fixed my AC that way.

MSRP on the right cat = $757
MSRP on the left cat = $550

Headers = under $700

So I have opted to go the header route and not have to worry about it. I called Brian (Cattman) placed my order. 1 set headers, 1 cat to weld into my existing Cattman Y-pipe. ETA 4 weeks

I'm not to sure what I will do with the car until then. I hate to drive it around and risk jacking the engine.

Here are a couple of other threads on the topic:
http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/forums/v...hlight=clogged
http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/forums/v...hlight=clogged

Last edited by Apollos2; 02-16-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:27 PM

Good luck and Im sure if you were good with your dealership that they would have covered it under good faith, but I hope your header venture pays off.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:19 PM

I've been riding around with this code for a while. I replaced the cat with a used one from car-parts.com but it came back 3 days later. I've driven around with it for 8 months. I have the P0420 code and my gas mileage sucks. I'm going to do the Cattman header's but the install won't be cheap. I probably have to set aside $1000+ for the whole project. I spent $1100 having the timing chain replaced back in September. Also trying to save up for a condo as well on my meager residency salary. I'll have to start putting away some money each month to hopefully get this done by the end of next month.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by VigilanteMax
Good luck and Im sure if you were good with your dealership that they would have covered it under good faith, but I hope your header venture pays off.

LOL, yeah I mostly take it in after hours to have it worked on. So I don't really give the dealership a lot of $$ directly. I could try to talk to them but it may just be easier to get the headers on there and never have to worry about that part of it again. Honestly it's still the tranny that scares me. I've 30k on the rebuilt and I'm taking it in for a tranny drain and fill in the next couple weeks.

Originally Posted by athlon omega
I've been riding around with this code for a while. I replaced the cat with a used one from car-parts.com but it came back 3 days later. I've driven around with it for 8 months. I have the P0420 code and my gas mileage sucks. I'm going to do the Cattman header's but the install won't be cheap. I probably have to set aside $1000+ for the whole project. I spent $1100 having the timing chain replaced back in September. Also trying to save up for a condo as well on my meager residency salary. I'll have to start putting away some money each month to hopefully get this done by the end of next month.
Dude that stinks, I wonder if it could be some other sort of sensor or soemthing. I have the code but the car is running perfectly otherwise. My tech will check it out and see if we can determine 100% that it is the cat.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:33 PM

Okay I have received the high flow cat that will I will have welded into the Y-pipe and two ports and plugs I will need once the headers arrive. ETA on the headers to my house is 3/23/09

Old 03-05-2009, 03:43 AM
.org extraordinaire

Pre cat failure, engine replacement.

When the first time my code rear pre cat fail code came up it was December 2006. I drove the car around until March 2007. At which point the engine started burning vast quantities of oil.

1L per 800-1000km.

Took it to Nissan who diagnosed rear bank pre-cat failure. They opened up the rear cat and found some of the filter substrate missing. Since the pre-cats are so close to the exhaust ports on the head, the tech advised me that when the motor is turned off and on the vacuum pulls the substrate back into the engine. Began doing oil consumption test with nissan at this point.

3 weeks later, new motor was ordered. 2 weeks after that it was installed under warranty.

The substrate at that point acts like fine platinum hardened cutting blades, shearing up the motor from the inside.

Here is the catch 22.

Minor oil leaks onto the filter substrate will cause it to disintegrate. The substrate will get sucked back into the motor and causing massive internal damage and thus burning more oil that will keep dripping on pre-cats.

Basically this is a massive Fak-up on Nissans part, had they moved the precats 2 inches further away from the collectors this would have all been avoided.

TIPS!!
1) stop driving your car right NOW.
2) change your oil with an engine flush to get rid of any poss substrate particles, safety 1st!!! motors are expensive
3) install cattman headers but see if you will pass your local emissions codes......... catch 22 again. Have to buy headers, but may not pass.

Enjoy new found power with Catts beautiful product

All the best,
Kamski
Old 03-05-2009, 07:15 AM

well said, stop driving on bad pre cats. I want pics of header install Apollos
Old 03-05-2009, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by kamski
When the first time my code rear pre cat fail code came up it was December 2006. I drove the car around until March 2007. At which point the engine started burning vast quantities of oil.

1L per 800-1000km.

Took it to Nissan who diagnosed rear bank pre-cat failure. They opened up the rear cat and found some of the filter substrate missing. Since the pre-cats are so close to the exhaust ports on the head, the tech advised me that when the motor is turned off and on the vacuum pulls the substrate back into the engine. Began doing oil consumption test with nissan at this point.

3 weeks later, new motor was ordered. 2 weeks after that it was installed under warranty.

The substrate at that point acts like fine platinum hardened cutting blades, shearing up the motor from the inside.

Here is the catch 22.

Minor oil leaks onto the filter substrate will cause it to disintegrate. The substrate will get sucked back into the motor and causing massive internal damage and thus burning more oil that will keep dripping on pre-cats.

Basically this is a massive Fak-up on Nissans part, had they moved the precats 2 inches further away from the collectors this would have all been avoided.

TIPS!!
1) stop driving your car right NOW.
2) change your oil with an engine flush to get rid of any poss substrate particles, safety 1st!!! motors are expensive
3) install cattman headers but see if you will pass your local emissions codes......... catch 22 again. Have to buy headers, but may not pass.

Enjoy new found power with Catts beautiful product

All the best,
Kamski
Awesome post Kam, this is the stuff everyone needs to know about the P0420 CEL code.

Originally Posted by VigilanteMax
well said, stop driving on bad pre cats. I want pics of header install Apollos

Thanks guys. Yeah the car is just sitting the garage for now. Since I pulled the code and found out what it was it's been sitting there the whole time. I try to grab as many pics as I can when the time comes.

Last edited by Apollos2; 03-05-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:36 PM

A system flush? I don't remember if a peice of substrate broke off my original cat. I replaced it with a used one but the same code came on 2 days later. I replaced the cat about a month after the CEL came on. I'm going to change my head gasket as well as any other rings that can be replaced. Hopefully this can restore my compression if in fact it's bad. I hopefully will have my final verdict when they do the leak down test as well as redo the compression test on if the engine is still good. Then, it's headers at the end of the month if all goes well.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:39 PM

Tick Tock Tick Tock.......

"You’ll be glad to know that our HDRG6 header production is scheduled for completion by the end of this week, and everything should ship to customers by next Monday or Tuesday (23/24 March). Depending on the distance from Arizona, you’ll receive the headers 2-7 days later." -----Brian Catts

Will I be back on the streets by April? I hope so.

When the tech installs the headers, he will also add:

Tein S-Tech Springs. Removing the Progress springs. (drop measurements will be taken)
Rotopros Drilled and Slotted Rotors.
HID Fogs added
Tranny Flush
Magna Flow cat installed in they Y-Pipe.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:48 PM

how much did that high flow cat cost you??

also here is a thread of a guy who has possibly had some success with running cattman headers + cattman y-pipe(catless) and O2 sims with some success....

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/eng...or-result.html
Old 03-17-2009, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by m_turner_02
how much did that high flow cat cost you??

also here is a thread of a guy who has possibly had some success with running cattman headers + cattman y-pipe(catless) and O2 sims with some success....

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/eng...or-result.html

Cool thanks, I'm gonna check it out. Hi flow cat was....$160 shipped for everything you see pictured from Cattman.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:12 PM

I'm trying to understand this, so bear with me.

Cat Failure = Engine Failure

Cattman Headers eliminates the need for the cats that fail, but the CEL comes up and no one has a def. fix for the CEL.

Also, can the pre-cats fail and not throw a code right away?

I called a Texas Nissan dealership and asked them if my pre-cats fail and that leads to an engine failure - would they cover it if I had an extended Nissan Warranty. They said it wouldn't because pre-cats are only covered to 80K and they don't warranty those with an extended policy.

wtf nissan. really?

Would heat-wrapping the cats or headers help prevent this?

..will

Last edited by texoma; 03-17-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by texoma
but the CEL comes up and no one has a def. fix for the CEL.
Not true!!!! All you do is install two sensors before the cat and two sensors after the cat and extend the wiring.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:49 PM

I'm trying to understand this, so bear with me.

Cat Failure = Engine Failure

Cattman Headers eliminates the need for the cats that fail, but the CEL comes up and no one has a def. fix for the CEL.

Also, can the pre-cats fail and not throw a code right away?

I called a Texas Nissan dealership and asked them if my pre-cats fail and that leads to an engine failure - would they cover it if I had an extended Nissan Warranty. They said it wouldn't because pre-cats are only covered to 80K and they don't warranty those with an extended policy.

wtf nissan. really?

Would heat-wrapping the cats or headers help prevent this?

..will
Cat fail = engine fail only if they started to break up and get sucked back in, but it can happen as Kam has posted.

CEL light issue after hearder install. I believe there is a fix and it's to lengthen the sensor wires and install them after the cat in the y-pipe. I may also try the simulator route first. My tech did that to his Sentra SE-R and it worked, if it doesn't work I have the parts to do it the other way. I will def post my findings for everyone.

can the pre-cats fail and not throw a code right away-----Any thing is possible and honestly there is probably a threshold that has to be met before the CEL comes on so I am sure there is a certain amount of failure (by that I mean clogging and disintigration) that goes on before the sensor notices it.

Would heat-wrapping the cats or headers help prevent this?---My guess would be; no. Most of the heat is probably coming from the cat itself, not the rest of the engine. IMO wrapping them would seal the heat in but that's only a guess on my part.

BTW - welcome to the .org
Old 03-17-2009, 10:02 PM

Thanks for quick answers guys. My Maxima is at Nissan right now getting a transmission flush. Got a weird metallic sound/squeel/thing under accelleration they're checking on too - they couldn't duplicate it, so I have to go down tomorrow and show them. My extended warranty does not cover the front struts that need replacing - so i'm on the prowl here at .org getting info on what the heck to do. I want to keep the max for a while, but i'm at 95K and no problems to speak of - so we'll see i guess. Time to start saving for headers i guess. Again, thanks for the speedy replys.
...will
Old 03-17-2009, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Not true!!!! All you do is install two sensors before the cat and two sensors after the cat and extend the wiring.
Or the easy route... a dual channel o2 sim.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:41 PM

.... Got a weird metallic sound/squeel/thing under accelleration they're checking on too - they couldn't duplicate it, so I have to go down tomorrow and show them...... Again, thanks for the speedy replys.

That my be the infamous exhaust bracket issue making that noise. If it's a rattle at arount 2-3k rpm then it's an easy fix, check this link out:

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ccelerate.html
Old 03-19-2009, 06:06 PM

Dude Apollos2 thanks!! i will check that out - it's been raining nonstop down here so can't really get under the car right now lol.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:15 AM

Okay, headers are shipping out tomorrow. Brian says they are no longer on back order.

" We will have several sets on the shelf from this batch...... I’d be willing to extend the backorder discount for any orders placed by end-of-day Tuesday."

So anyone ready to pull the trigger on some headers, now is the time to do it. Best way to contact him is directly by phone:
Brian Catts
Cattman Performance
800.759.9920, open 9-5 MST, M-F
Old 03-24-2009, 02:37 PM

I just order mine today right before they closed.
Brian was extremely helpful with information regard-
ing the headers. Can't wait to install them next week.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
When the tech installs the headers, he will also add:

Tein S-Tech Springs. Removing the Progress springs. (drop measurements will be taken)
Rotopros Drilled and Slotted Rotors.
HID Fogs added
Tranny Flush
Magna Flow cat installed in they Y-Pipe.
I got some pics of the Tein S-Tech Springs side by side with the OEM springs.
I'll see if I can get some side by side with the Progress Springs once the come off.

REAR and FRONT

REAR and FRONT

FRONT
Old 03-31-2009, 09:41 PM

And the Cattman headers

With the rear motor mount bushing we will test fit.
" I suggest measuring the depth of the bushing (the diameter is 3.5”), and when you’re under the car to do the headers, see if the dimensions of the mount itself are consistent with the dimensions of the bushing. If diameter and depth correspond, it should work out fine. I haven’t spent any time under the ’05, but the first thing you may want to confirm is that only the front mount is electric. If you see wires leading to the rear mount, it almost certainly won’t be compatible with the ES bushing; the electric, liquid-filled mounts are typically 4” diameter, hence too large"

Old 03-31-2009, 09:47 PM

Summer chrome back on

New Goodyear F1 GS2 mounted up.

RIM GUARD (but I never hit curbs )
Old 04-01-2009, 10:34 PM

this may be a stupid question, but what is that black canister in the last pic of the headers??
Old 04-01-2009, 10:35 PM

Looks like the rear motor mount bushing he mentioned...
Old 04-04-2009, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by m_turner_02
this may be a stupid question, but what is that black canister in the last pic of the headers??
Originally Posted by Oolatec
Looks like the rear motor mount bushing he mentioned...
Yes according to Brian Catts: "The ES bushing is a solid block of polyurethane and is much denser that the stock bushing; it significantly limits engine movement (front to rear) compared with the rubber stock bushing that has voids and isn’t solid."

Our only trick now is to see if it fits So even if it fits, what are the real benefits of signifcantly limiting the front to rear engine movement? Will I be able to notice it from the drivers seat?

Last edited by Apollos2; 04-06-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:44 PM

Much less wheel hop, which will translate to more traction... I only have the front insert from Taz installed, and in the rain, wheel hop is significantly reduced. It's great!
Old 04-06-2009, 09:13 AM

Much less wheel hop, which will translate to more traction... I only have the front insert from Taz installed, and in the rain, wheel hop is significantly reduced. It's great!
Cool maybe I will need more traction with the addition of the headers

Just FYI for anyone who may be considering the Cattman Y WITH the fastcat catalytic converter already welded in with the O/2 ports here is what it looks like. I have the pics to show the muffler shop who will welding my cat into my Y-Pipe

Old 04-06-2009, 11:17 AM

What model cat did you get from Magnaflow?
Old 04-10-2009, 01:47 PM

What model cat did you get from Magnaflow?
For anyone else with that question, the answer is: I don't know and I've scoured the internet and couldn't even find a picture of it. Could it be a custom part for Cattman? I kind of doubt it but I turned up zero via google and ebay.

Funny thing is I finally got around to getting that cat and the bungs installed last night.

Dusted the ride off and set out to find a shop to do the work:

Stupid Midas was about 20minutes of my time. Dude behind the counter was the slowest ever. 3 peope in the office (I was 3rd) 10min for the first and 10+ and counting on the second forget that. I walked out.

So I drove further away to a small shop that has done exhuast work for me in the past. (Apparently he forgot) dude told me:
1. That was illegal for him to install that cat.
2. My cat won't hold up. (That's a "spun" cat) It won't last long.
3. I won't pass emissions with my cat.
4. Tried to see me a OBDII cat that was like 3 times heavier and had what I would call "no flow" power. The cat I have is "hi-flow".
5. He could sell it to me installed for $229 but wouldn't warranty it because of the mods I am performing. I asked for the "no warranty" price then, he said $229. Yeah whatever.
6. "I'll install your cat and bungs for $100 no warranty", So I gotta get this done today! It's already 4:50pm and there is NO WAY for me to get it installed before I go to my header install appointment so I agree to $100.
7. He tells me it will have to be done later though he closes at 5pm

And he thinks I am coming back after the header install to get that cat welding in.....Aint gonna happen!

This is why businesses go out of business, the economy stinks and he was sleeping in a chair when I showed up. I half expected that shop to be out of biz when I showed up because I never see too many cars there whenever I drive by (they did hook me up once on my wife's Mustang though) but I won't be going back.

So I gave up and ate dinner with wife and kids on the way home and then on the off chance that one more small shop I remember might be open, after dinner I drove by. I found the owner in the shop at 7pm. "Are you open" "LOL well I'm here" So he agrees to do the work, sets aside his personal business and gets started. End up charging me $110, but I had to get it done and it end up taking him about 1hr anyway. I couldn't find my camera so grabbed a couple of cellphone pics. It's all I got for now but I'm getting the headers installed tonight.

I did take sound clip but I gotta upload it still. I'll post it up later. It will be Nismo catback system with Cattman Y-pipe with Fastcat. The later we can compare it when I get the headers on.

CUT OUT SECTION OF THE Y TO ADD THE BUNGS AND CAT

PERFORMING THE WELD
Old 04-10-2009, 02:30 PM

Very nice, but why weld in a cat when Cattman sells a y-pipe with a cat and O/2 already in place

Just confused cause from what I read, doing the Cattman headers eliminates the front and rear cats, leaving only a single cat behind the y-pipe, which the car can run on without throwing any codes.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by STARR
Very nice, but why weld in a cat when Cattman sells a y-pipe with a cat and O/2 already in place

Just confused cause from what I read, doing the Cattman headers eliminates the front and rear cats, leaving only a single cat behind the y-pipe, which the car can run on without throwing any codes.
Some, like me, purchased the y-pipe without cat...

The headers eliminate the 2 pre-cats, therefore the 2 rear o2 sensors will figure that out. Using a dual-channel o2 simulator, or extending the two rear o2 sensors past the cat in the y-pipe (stock, or Cattman/RacingLine with cat obviously), will work, and pass emissions and not throw codes.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by STARR

It's beacause Cattman sells Y-pipes without a cat built in. The y-pipe with a cat is markedly more expensive than the y-pipe without a cat. One can still pass emissions if you had stock headers with a Cattman y-pipe. To do the Cattman headers though you need a cat since the headers eliminate the stock pre-cats. Those who bought the y-pipe without the cat, now have to get one for emissions compliance.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
***buncha stuff about dumb businesses hehe
Nice man... can't want to see more pics and a vid!
Old 04-12-2009, 10:08 AM

Happy Easter everyone. (Blessed Resurrection day of my Saviour!)

Well here we go, I finally got the vid loaded up. It didnt come out quite like I wanted, I think I needed a lower angle but over it's decent. Car is at the shop getting the headers installed. Tech commented on how the cat had quieted down the exhaust quite a bit.

Youu guys decide. This is the Cattman Y-Pipe with Fast Cat catalytic converter and the Nismo exhaust. Turn up your volume:

A couple of quick pics of the backup LED lights we put in the other day.

Last edited by Apollos2; 04-13-2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:46 AM

Still don't have the car back but headers are on and I got to listen to it while it was on the lift. While adding the fastcat quieted it down, the headers added a low or more "throaty" tone to it. Sound really nice with my NISMO exhaust, smooth and deep.

No vid yet but I grabbed a couple of quick pics of the d/s rotors, stainless steel brake lines and rear Tein springs that are replacing my Progress springs.

ROTOPRO ROTORS (I gotta get my calipers painted.)

FAST CAT (I will be real suprised if I pass emissions with only this little cat)

REAR HEADER - Y-PIPE CONNECTION
Old 04-27-2009, 12:50 PM

Finally got the car back yesterday, tech says I'm throwing lean codes. He cleared them all and then I kinda got on it on the way home and the CEL came on right away. I'll have it dyno tuned Wed then we will see if they come back and I will also have some WHP numbers

He found a bad AC hose while he was doing all the work. Replace it again for 3rd time since I bought the car.

I'll try and get a video sound clip later this evening and you all can let me know what you think.

I will tell you this, regarding the Tein Springs vs Progress. The ride on the Teins is perfect. I still have control of the road but I don't feel all the bumps. The ride is very smooth. Progress springs cost less but if you can afford to spend a little more and don't need to be dropped as low, get the Teins I highly recommend them.

Here is a couple pics of them with the Progress Springs:

Old 04-27-2009, 01:38 PM

whats the report from your butt-dyno?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:16 PM

But dyno tells me no difference. I'm having Air Fuel sensor issues. Getting to much gas right now. I hope to have this resolved tomorrow night.

For now here is a quick and dirty video.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter Failure P0420 =--> Header Upgrade Time!