6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New seats install for 2005 maxima

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:57 AM

Question about seat install for 2005 maxima

Hello All-

I just got some leather seats to replace my clothe for my maxima and was wondering if there is anything i need to know about swapping the seats? Is there an airbag in the front seats?

Also the seats i bought have memory and the option to heat. My clothes did not, so is the wiring harness already in place for these? I have the switches needed for operation. Not a big deal if they won't work since it never gets cold here anyways....

thanks for any input!

-low

Last edited by lowmach; 03-05-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:21 PM
name came from hairdryer

I'm doing sorta the same thing.
Make sure you disconnect the battery when you take out the seats. And dont plug it back in til the Yellow airbag connector is plugged back in. If they are not connected and you connect the battery, you'll get the airbag warning light which will have to be set at the dealer $$$$
Havent plugged in the wire harness yet, but from the looks of it, it wont be plug n play.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:06 AM

Thanks Max!

So i will disconnect the battery during the install.

i haven't checked to see if the wiring connectors are the same yet. i had assumed/hoped they were since i bought factory seats out of a 2005 SL from a salvage yard.

I will do the install this weekend and report my findings.

looking forward to seeing the leather in my car instead of my garage. hahahaha

-low
Old 03-06-2009, 07:25 PM

good luck....it aint easy....i have started loosing my hair in this process....i already had leather seats with power minus the heat option and memory option, i was adding heat and power passenger seat and so far i have been able to get the passenger seat to work but the driver side is pretty complicated.
my last option is to swap the skin and call it a day.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:25 PM

your right maximaaa04!

I stuck in the front seat only to find out that only the lumbar worked. I am very disappointed. i assumed that my SE power options would work with the same wiring harness......

What a drag!

I am not going to spend any time/energy on these seats to work, so you will see them in the classified area.

uuurrgggghhhhh!

I think I will call a body shop tomorrow for a quote though....

-Low

Last edited by lowmach; 03-08-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:45 AM

uhm......

I called a body shop I have dealt with over the years and they didn't want anything to do with it. he suggested a electrical wiring shop.

So then I got a hold of the wiring schematics. Does anyone know of a reason why I couldn't bypass the auto drive positioning unit and wire straight to the seat motors? If i can than this might be a pretty simple fix?

-Low
Old 03-09-2009, 02:08 PM

Pm me your # have usefull info for you did a complete Elite seatin in my max...Not to difficult to do.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 PM
name came from hairdryer

Originally Posted by 2theMaX05
Pm me your # have usefull info for you did a complete Elite seatin in my max...Not to difficult to do.
OOOh, OOh.

Let me know your secrests please.
Think I've figured out the rear, need a little help w/ the front.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:01 AM

I'm gonna be referring to this and to you guys for help when I get my new leather seats in. Xima is an 04 and I got the seats from a brand new 04 SE just like mine except I had cloth with power minus heat and drive and manual on passenger. The new ones are power for both driver and passenger. Hopefully I can get them in soon cuz I'm ready to get this over with.

Question though: If you have a non-power passenger seat, is there anyother wires or connectors you would need to replace that seat with a power passenger seat or is it basically plug-n-play like the drivers seat?

Last edited by Propa Teknique; 03-13-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
I'm gonna be referring to this and to you guys for help when I get my new leather seats in. Xima is an 04 and I got the seats from a brand new 04 SE just like mine except I had cloth with power minus heat and drive and manual on passenger. The new ones are power for both driver and passenger. Hopefully I can get them in soon cuz I'm ready to get this over with.

Question though: If you have a non-power passenger seat, is there anyother wires or connectors you would need to replace that seat with a power passenger seat or is it basically plug-n-play like the drivers seat?
Bump for a answer
Old 03-15-2009, 08:44 PM

answer: the connections should be under the seat already. 2theMax05 had non-power seats for the passanger side and when he got the power seat for passenger its a plug&play thing.. good luck guys...
Old 03-16-2009, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by MaxJ04
answer: the connections should be under the seat already. 2theMax05 had non-power seats for the passanger side and when he got the power seat for passenger its a plug&play thing.. good luck guys...
i had the same situation, but mine wasn't plug and play. i had to get a power source to the seats. im still stuck with the driver seat. have no solution for that as the white box under the seats requires two power sources.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:08 AM

share the secret
Old 03-18-2009, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by MaxJ04
I would assume the same thing since there is no heating or memory option in the leather ones I got.. Ill wait til they come in and double check... I'm not good with the schematics of wiring, though. Hopefully it's plug-n-play. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:03 AM
name came from hairdryer

Me and a buddy looked at the drivers seat for about 4hrs yesterday testing for power and grounds and couldnt figure out a solution.
So, since I'm not using the Memory seats, we decided to bypass it altogether.

I disconnected all the wiring harness' off the old drivers seat
There are 4 motors-cut off the harness to each of those motors 2 wires each.
splice those into the red and blue on the motor harness of each new one. (the backrest is orange/black instead of red if I remember correctly)
Remove the switch from old seat and install into new seat.
Plug in you old harness assembly to the new motor wiring then connect to the harness in the floor.

Should get movement back into your seat.
Next is try to add the heat to the seats. (I'm gonna attempt this morning)

Last edited by MaXXXpower; 03-22-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anybody know the best place to find some leather heated seats? I just got an 08 SE wednesday for a killer deal. Only problem was it doesn't have leather seats, but for 17k, I wasn't really complaining.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:33 AM

Where in the hell did you find Elite Package seats???? Damn those are hard to come by!!!!! I would love to have the 2 captain seats in the rear..... that's hott!!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by MaXXXpower
Me and a buddy looked at the drivers seat for about 4hrs yesterday testing for power and grounds and couldnt figure out a solution.
So, since I'm not using the Memory seats, we decided to bypass it altogether.

I disconnected all the wiring harness' off the old drivers seat
There are 4 motors-cut off the harness to each of those motors 2 wires each.
splice those into the red and blue on the motor harness of each new one. (the backrest is orange/black instead of red if I remember correctly)
Remove the switch from old seat and install into new seat.
Plug in you old harness assembly to the new motor wiring then connect to the harness in the floor.

Should get movement back into your seat.
Next is try to add the heat to the seats. (I'm gonna attempt this morning)
I dont have the heat/memory option but what about the passenger... I'm positive that the leather driver will work b/c my cloth driver seat is power w/ lumbar... it's the passenger that worries me. My cloth one isnt power but the leather passenger is... have you worked on the passenger? Or are you getting to that this morning?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:43 AM
name came from hairdryer

I dont have the heat/memory option but what about the passenger... I'm positive that the leather driver will work b/c my cloth driver seat is power w/ lumbar... it's the passenger that worries me. My cloth one isnt power but the leather passenger is... have you worked on the passenger? Or are you getting to that this morning?
Take a look under your passenger seat, you will see that the harness coming out of the floor has a red/white wire already there (power wire). Plugging in the new harness to this didn't match up, so we found the + & - wires going to the new switch and spliced into that.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:09 AM

Take a look under your passenger seat, you will see that the harness coming out of the floor has a red/white wire already there (power wire). Plugging in the new harness to this didn't match up, so we found the + & - wires going to the new switch and spliced into that.
Okay... I looked but didnt notice any red wire.... I noticed a light blue and a brownish wire connected together, along with a white, black, and black/white wire connected together. I didnt notice the red, though. Are all the wires in the general location? I pushed the seat all the way back and looked toward the front then pulled up a little piece of carpet and looked also.

I was still wondering why there are wires connected to the passenger if there is no power anyway...
Old 03-22-2009, 09:36 AM

Wow MaxxxxxxxPOWA....you're up that early from last nights 1am gig installing fun...I'll be heading over soon get the rest of that stuff tackled...

We will take some pics of what we got today and post up tonight on how to do this. We will also do a more organized write up for this!

Last edited by Stormzusmc; 03-22-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:41 AM
name came from hairdryer

Okay... I looked but didnt notice any red wire.... I noticed a light blue and a brownish wire connected together, along with a white, black, and black/white wire connected together. I didnt notice the red, though. Are all the wires in the general location? I pushed the seat all the way back and looked toward the front then pulled up a little piece of carpet and looked also.

I was still wondering why there are wires connected to the passenger if there is no power anyway...
You see where the yellow harness w/ yellow shrink wrap comes from? (Dont unplug this unless the battery is disconnected!!!! Airbag sensor)
You'll also see the white plug. Unplug the 2 connectors and you'll see that on the top row of the plug going to the seats only uses 3 in that row. the top corner of the connector to the battery is red/white and the other corner in the top row is black. Those 2 need to go to the switch harness to power it up on the new seat.
I'll go take a pic.
brb
Old 03-22-2009, 09:57 AM
name came from hairdryer

Originally Posted by Stormzusmc
Wow MaxxxxxxxPOWA....you're up that early from last nights 1am gig installing fun...I'll be heading over soon get the rest of that stuff tackled...

We will take some pics of what we got today and post up tonight on how to do this. We will also do a more organized write up for this!
See ya in a bit Lazy ***.

Here are 3 pics under pass seat.

Location of white plug w/ power

White/red wire on connector.

Where it splices on the switch
Old 03-22-2009, 10:05 AM

^ Lazy...ok thats it now I'm not bringing over my multimeter....
Old 03-22-2009, 10:11 AM

Okay maybe I'm not looking in the right place or something! Under your seat doesnt look the same as mine.... These are some pics of mine...

Yellow Wrapping (Not to Disconnect) & Black Wrapping under the capet of passenger

Front of Passenger Seat to the right

Full front of passenger seat

So the red (power) wire you are speaking of is wrapped in the black shrinkwrap?? Those are the only two sets of wires that are actually connected to the seat...
Old 03-22-2009, 10:17 AM
name came from hairdryer

Thats the problem. The black shrink wrap doesn't have a red n white power wire. it's in the other end of what that connects to.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:27 AM

Thats the problem. The black shrink wrap doesn't have a red n white power wire. it's in the other end of what that connects to.

Okay I got it now!!!! I see what you are talking about!
Old 03-22-2009, 10:36 AM

i got my new leather power passenger seat to work
now to work on the driver side!!
Old 03-22-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by maximaaa04
i got my new leather power passenger seat to work
now to work on the driver side!!
congrats! I shouldnt be that far behind you!
Old 03-22-2009, 11:14 AM

so to get the driver seat to work i should just change the whole motor assembly from my regular leather seats to the new seats which have memory and heat.
i got a complete arm rest from a elite maxima with all the controls....if anyone needs a pair of heated seats switches let me know i got a extra one
Old 03-22-2009, 01:31 PM

The drivers side, you should swap the harness and the switches for the lumbar and seats. Then you can splice the old connectors from the old motors to the new motors the blue and red are the only ones you need to worry about. The other 3 wires are for memory. You can take the memory circuit board out as well. If you need more detail go ahead and post again either me or Maxxxpower will get to you...We are finishing his up now and putting her back together.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:10 PM

i was thinking about just swapping the leather skin from the seat frame for the driver side....won't that be easier? im going to try to do that tonight
Old 03-23-2009, 10:13 PM

Lol if thats what you want to do, isnt the seat a little different? the electrical was not hard once it was figured out.....we basically did all the work for you, all you have to do is follow what we said and you could get it done within 2 hours tops
Old 04-10-2009, 08:58 AM

good stuff.

here is what i ended up doing:

I had clothe with power driver seat and a manual passenger in my 05 se and purchased leather seats out of a Sl with all options. After considering different wiring options I ended up just keeping it simple.

TOP half: i just removed the top cover with foam and airbag from the seat frame and just stuck it on my existing seat frame. 5 minutes to replace.....

Bottom half: 4 bolts hold on the bottom of the seat shell with leather cover to the seat frame, so i just removed it and bolted in my existing bottom seat frame with existing minimal power options. so no heat, memory, or power lumbar. but i got leather. please note i had to change out the controls on the side of the seat. 1 hour to complete including install seat back into the car.

I was going to do the passenger seat this weekend just like above, but after reading this i will try getting the power options to work first.

Last edited by lowmach; 04-10-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have some questions about the driver seat. I took my seat apart after I tried everything else and put my leather seat on my cloth seat frame, everything works except backrest, and lumbar. Any tips on how to get that part powered up
Old 12-15-2012, 08:54 PM

Anyone figure out how to get the heated seat function working?