6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2007 Nissan Maxima vibration problem..

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:10 PM

2007 Nissan Maxima vibration problem..

First off let me say something. I joined this forum to get help on a problem I've been having with my car and I soon found out that I couldn't even post. I was very frustrated, but I still decided to wait until an admin unlocks my account so I could post. Usually people join forums to ask questions, but when you put a 15 post lock, and waiting so an admin can unlock your account, sorry but it's just stupid. No offense to the admin and this community.

Now let's get to the point shall we! My car is a 07 Maxima SE with 28,000 miles on it. When accelerating, the car will vibrate EXACTLY at 1300-1500 RPM and it goes away after that. I can feel it in the steering wheel and the gas pedal. Any ideas? Also when the car is idiling, the belt (I think) makes some noise. I dropped my car off at the dealership about 20 minutes ago to get these things fixed, along with an oil change.

Thanks in advance.

(Picture messed up the format, so I think a link instead of an img is good.)

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...a/DSC02639.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...a/DSC02637.jpg

EDIT:

I have some other questions as well.

1) Can I purchase the stock OEM HID kit for my car?
2) I have the NDSS sound system, and sometimes when the volume is high, it will decrease the volume by itself and go back to normal after 3-4 seconds. Help? Can I add the Bose speakers/subs?
3) How much is a navigation system?

Last edited by Punmax; 04-14-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:16 PM

Don't let dealer to pull big one out of their **** on this one. Tell them they can not shiatt a shiatter. Take me along with you next time if you think you're too shy to biatch them. Hint: You're well under warranty period.

Nice ride there mate...
Old 04-14-2009, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Punmax
Now let's get to the point shall we! My car is a 07 Maxima SE with 28,000 miles on it. When accelerating, the car will vibrate EXACTLY at 1300-1500 RPM and it goes away after that. I can feel it in the steering wheel and the gas pedal. Any ideas? Also when the car is idiling, the belt (I think) makes some noise. I dropped my car off at the dealership about 20 minutes ago to get these things fixed, along with an oil change.
One, It may be because your lug nut torque is off.. Your lug nut torque should be at 80 foot lbs.. A lot of techs tend to impact your lug nuts on.. This can cause uneven tire wear.. You could torque your lug nuts on using a torques wrench a.k.a. a "clicking wrench" Two, depending on where your from, did you happen to hit a pothole.. hitting a pothole could shift the tire ply inside of your tire and cause it to ride with a vibration.. but thus it would be a constant vibration.. Three, it could be tire pressure.. i believe 6th and 6.5 generation maximas are set at 35 psi.. Hope I could help..
Old 04-15-2009, 01:24 AM

y dont u buy aftermarket ?HIDs they r easier 2 install and work the same.. also they r wayyyyyyyyyyy cheaper 2 buy and replace as fare had OEM hids r expensive.. i got OEM hids n payed 2 get a replacement ballast when it died out... but i can get OEM hids if u want
Old 04-15-2009, 03:20 AM

It's confusing when you say it happens at 1300-1500 RPMs only.

Is there a certain speed that it happens at??

Or can you accelerate and then when the tranny is in a higher gear and you are going faster and then you take your foot off the gas letting thh RPMs drop and then step on it and when you pass thru that same RPM range it happens again but at a different speed.

Just want to make sure it's a speed thing and not a motor RPM thing.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:18 AM

Maybe motor mounts
Old 04-15-2009, 05:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Its the CVT Transmission. They tend do that at low RPM's
Old 04-15-2009, 09:58 AM

I had a similar problem with mine, took it to my mechanic and he noticed that it was the heat shields right before you get to the cat. Just another thing to check if you havent done so already.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:06 AM

thats wierd.. i have a CVT on my 07 max n no vibration.... just a nice clean pull with my intake.. Woooo hoooo!!!!
Old 04-15-2009, 12:14 PM

+1
Originally Posted by Lovemycar
Maybe motor mounts
Old 04-15-2009, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. The car does it at any speed if within in those RPM's. All of my tires were either inflated or deflated, the dealership fixed that. The belt noise was also lubricated and seems to have gotten quieter. And the vibration, the guy said it was a normal characteristic of the Maxima. I'll take it to another mechanic and get him/her to check the heat shield, lugs, and the motor mounts. Also how do I find out if my car is a CVT or not? When I start it up, the CVT lights up in the dash for 2 seconds and goes away. What is CVT by the way?
Old 04-15-2009, 06:03 PM

Continuously Variable Transmission

Easiest way to check is on the cover of oil measurement dip stick.

Nissan implemented CVT in order to avoid lipstick going inside girls nose.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

When I start it up, the CVT lights up in the dash for 2 seconds and goes away.

That preety much tells you that you have it.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:28 PM

why do yall hate the dealer so much? yeah its true most service advisors are morons, but if you explain the problem in complete detail (ex. it happens if i decel/accel, a/c on/off, does it happen when driving straight or when turning) the advisor wants to get as many customers in at once. its always the technician whos left asking all the questions and getting no answer. how are you supposed to fix it if you cant duplicate it. to answer your other questions no you cannot add oem bose or navi without changing wire harnesses, unless you go aftermarket. factory xenons are great if you have access to cheap ones(aka free!) but they wont sit right and the headlamp wont enclose completely w/o mod to assembly. go aftermarket or buy headlamps off ebay or at junkyard that were made for xenons.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:40 PM

My 04 Max always had vibration issues - Shimmy at 55 pmh. I think it's a "design feature'. The only times I can get the shimmy to go away - for a while - is to do an expensive road force ballance of the wheels. Then it will slowely but surely comes back. It all depends on the kind of tires, kind of road (friction), how much you inflate your tires, temperature, slickness of road, your suspension, etc. Just do a search on "shimmy" in this forum and you'll read all about it.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Galto2000
My 04 Max always had vibration issues - Shimmy at 55 pmh. I think it's a "design feature'. The only times I can get the shimmy to go away - for a while - is to do an expensive road force ballance of the wheels. Then it will slowely but surely comes back. It all depends on the kind of tires, kind of road (friction), how much you inflate your tires, temperature, slickness of road, your suspension, etc. Just do a search on "shimmy" in this forum and you'll read all about it.
Great input. I was seeking for high speed balance job. Like other members, I also have light shimmy at 50 to 55 mph. I think now I wont try hard to find a shop who can do high speed balance job for my car.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sarara
Great input. I was seeking for high speed balance job. Like other members, I also have light shimmy at 50 to 55 mph. I think now I wont try hard to find a shop who can do high speed balance job for my car.
I think it's right out scandalous that $30K luxury sports sedan has to endure 'unconditional shimmy'.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:47 PM

I think it's right out scandalous that $30K luxury sports sedan has to endure 'unconditional shimmy'.
......and plastic timing tensioners with sharp tooth chains, rattles, and what not. I already made my mind for no more Nissan period. Then again what car does not have problems? So I am forcing my mind to make U turn on nissan.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Banned

Ive had the shimmy come and go wiht no rhyme or reason over the 5 year 97,000mi life of my car (and now its been gone for probably the last two years). Ive tried the lug nut torqueing thing after buying an $80 torque wrench, it made NO difference whatsoever (took it back). I tried monkeying with the tire pressure (also NO difference). Ive had the car balanced and rebalanced (worked for a short period of time). Finally...the only thing ive found to have long lasting positive effects was to replace all the tires (of course this wasnt something I would do JUST to fix the shimmy, but when I needed new tires it was like BOOM...problem solved).
I think that the suspension is overly sensitive and after a balance, the tire wear can eventually snowball into poor balance if they arent wearing properly. That is my personal theory - so slap a set of top notch tires on the car (and hope they wear well) when the time comes.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Ive had the shimmy come and go wiht no rhyme or reason over the 5 year 97,000mi life of my car (and now its been gone for probably the last two years). Ive tried the lug nut torqueing thing after buying an $80 torque wrench, it made NO difference whatsoever (took it back). I tried monkeying with the tire pressure (also NO difference). Ive had the car balanced and rebalanced (worked for a short period of time). Finally...the only thing ive found to have long lasting positive effects was to replace all the tires (of course this wasnt something I would do JUST to fix the shimmy, but when I needed new tires it was like BOOM...problem solved).
I think that the suspension is overly sensitive and after a balance, the tire wear can eventually snowball into poor balance if they arent wearing properly. That is my personal theory - so slap a set of top notch tires on the car (and hope they wear well) when the time comes.
New Michelin Pilot Sports tires all around plus 2 time balancing but no changes in shimmy here. By the way stock suspensions and 92k miles on my ride.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:55 AM
Banned

Thats unfortunate...I also noticed the particular road mattered as well (and at this point, its pretty ridiculous when you think about it). Id be on a certain streach at 60 that has some bumps, maybe it was newly paved but not done properly and I would get the shimmy at 60mph...then a different road at the same speed would produce little to no shimmy. Im at 97k with the problem gone, we'll see what happens when I put my summer tire/wheel package on (which are inexpensive Riken Raptors, but have been perfect the last two seasons). My fall winter tires are contiprocontact, which wear very well and give decent traction in snow.