6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Progress vs. Tein

Old 04-19-2009, 11:57 PM

Progress vs. Tein

Hey guys i have a 2007 max and im trying to lower my car. but im having a tough time deciding between progress or tein springs. what do u guys think, please lemme know what you would prefer!!
Old 04-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just switched from Progress to Tein based on the ride height. It's minimal but I need a little more space and hopes of a little better ride quality.

Progress drop: (1.8in Front, .75in Rear)
Tein S-Tech Springs (1.6in Front, 0.5in Rear)

Also the fact that Tein published their spring rates. Spring Rates F/R - 3.5/5.4;

I couldn't find Progress spring rating anywhere. Maybe someone here has those numbers. I don't know what the stock spring rates are either.

You will pay about $75 more for Teins but I'm hoping they will worth the extra money.
I will know more about the ride and handling in about a week. I will say this though, the height difference was noticable enough for my tech to comment on it when he called me and told me they were installed.

Progress lower and less $$ vs Tein not as low and more $$
Old 04-20-2009, 08:48 AM

I have teins on the max now, and I like them. I've had eibachs in the past on different cars and had no problems. I guess it comes down to how much of a drop you are looking for.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:58 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Progress is the best looking drop for a 6thgen/6.5gen period. Sometimes I can't tell if someone is lowered if its not progress. As far as ride quality well my Max rides like a bumper car. Someone once commented while in my car "you paid for a luxury car and made it ride like a dune buggy". When I'm parked next to a stock Maxima or an Altima mine sits way lower like a sports car and looks better.

Last edited by SmokinMaxSE; 04-20-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by SmokinMaxSE
Progress is the best looking drop for a 6thgen/6.5gen period. Sometimes I can't tell if someone is lowered if its not progress. As far as ride quality well my Max rides like a bumper car. Someone once commented while in my car "you paid for a luxury car and made it ride like a doom buggy". When I'm parked next to a stock Maxima or an Altima mine sits way lower like a sports car and looks better.
Dune*

Just reading through and I definitely
Old 04-20-2009, 09:40 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by viperboy
Dune*

Just reading through and I definitely

I'm at work on this site and trying to read and type as fast as I can before someone catches me on here.....
Old 04-20-2009, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Also the fact that Tein published their spring rates. Spring Rates F/R - 3.5/5.4;

I couldn't find Progress spring rating anywhere. Maybe someone here has those numbers. I don't know what the stock spring rates are either.
http://www.progressauto.com/products.../productID/331

Front rate: 180 lbs/in --- Rear rate: 350 lbs/in

I had the OEM spring rates at one time, IIRC front was 160 and rear was 310?? Maybe.... I will see if I can find them.

Report back on the Teins, especially of interest to me is the ride over broken pavement, pot holes, etc.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:57 PM

Ive had the teins for about 8 months? only problem is they are still in my garage waiting to get installed.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:13 PM

progress FTW!
Old 04-20-2009, 08:53 PM

Tein Suspension

Everybody Else

Go or go home..!!..

Old 04-20-2009, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by LucKie1nE

Everybody Else

LOL

I certainly am digging mine!

They are progressive in nature, and accurate on their advertised drops.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
http://www.progressauto.com/products.../productID/331

Front rate: 180 lbs/in --- Rear rate: 350 lbs/in
Sweet, so how does that translate vs Spring Rates F/R - 3.5/5.4

Post the OEM rates if you find them, I'll post up my thoughts on the Teins when I get my car back.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:40 AM

Tein all the way

Here you have a side to side comparison:

Before installing them Ride height:

Just after I installed them myself:

Of course, I was told that I needed to give it time for the springs to settle in place and after a few days or so, they lowered a bit more than what they are in that picture! So i would go for tein, haven't had a problem.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by SmokinMaxSE
Progress is the best looking drop for a 6thgen/6.5gen period. Sometimes I can't tell if someone is lowered if its not progress. As far as ride quality well my Max rides like a bumper car. Someone once commented while in my car "you paid for a luxury car and made it ride like a dune buggy". When I'm parked next to a stock Maxima or an Altima mine sits way lower like a sports car and looks better.
How do the bumps and pot holes feel?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by luckie1ne
tein suspension

everybody else

go or go home..!!..

+1
Old 04-21-2009, 04:27 PM

why not eibachs ftw??
Old 05-16-2009, 04:19 PM

I just switched from Progress to Tein based on the ride height. It's minimal but I need a little more space and hopes of a little better ride quality.

Progress drop: (1.8in Front, .75in Rear)
Tein S-Tech Springs (1.6in Front, 0.5in Rear)

You will pay about $75 more for Teins but I'm hoping they will worth the extra money.
I will know more about the ride and handling in about a week. I will say this though, the height difference was noticable enough for my tech to comment on it when he called me and told me they were installed.

Progress lower and less $$ vs Tein not as low and more $$
Okay after having rode on Tein Tech S springs now for about 3 weeks all I can say is they are hands down smoother than Progress springs. I went from stock to Progress about 18month ago then made the switch to Teins. Huge difference over bumps dips small holes etc. I just don't feel them like I used to with the Progress springs.

Bottom line is your preference. Like I said earlier:
Progress lower drop and less $$
vs
Tein not as low on the drop and more $$ but much smoother ride and less scraping.

Here are before and after pics, I tried to get the new pics in about the same spot.

Progress:

and

Teins
Old 05-18-2009, 08:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Apollos2, did you have to replace your struts/shocks ?
Old 05-18-2009, 11:45 AM

Never. Still on stock stuts and shocks. I'll probably go with stock stuts and shocks again when the time comes. The ride is just right now.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:38 PM

Okay after having rode on Tein Tech S springs now for about 3 weeks all I can say is they are hands down smoother than Progress springs. I went from stock to Progress about 18month ago then made the switch to Teins. Huge difference over bumps dips small holes etc. I just don't feel them like I used to with the Progress springs.

Bottom line is your preference. Like I said earlier:
Progress lower drop and less $$
vs
Tein not as low on the drop and more $$ but much smoother ride and less scraping.

Here are before and after pics, I tried to get the new pics in about the same spot.

Progress:

and

Teins
Thanks for the pics! Looks great. I think from what everyone is saying, Teins are the way to go for me... Get some of the advantages of looks and performance while maintaining comfortability for LONG drives.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by three.fiveSE
Thanks for the pics! Looks great. I think from what everyone is saying, Teins are the way to go for me... Get some of the advantages of looks and performance while maintaining comfortability for LONG drives.
Not sure why you think Progress is not as comfortable. I have made multiple 6 hour drives on my Progress springs with total comfort, and thats with Koni struts and KYB AGX shocks.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:52 PM

Hmmm.... just making conclusions based on previous posts (because you can believe everything you read on the internet ), but I would be open to more opinions personally...

Good Luck Deus with you TT's this weekend at Lone Pines! Look forward to the results.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Not sure why you think Progress is not as comfortable. I have made multiple 6 hour drives on my Progress springs with total comfort, and thats with Koni struts and KYB AGX shocks.
First of all Dues, the Teins have a "progressive" spring rate. Just like Eibachs.

I personally compared Progress to Eibachs and there is no question--the Eibachs ride smoother. I suspect the same for Teins.

First of all the drop is a little less on the Teins so the factory dampeners will be happier.

Second of all you have the absolute best dampeners available for Maxima's (non coilover that is) which can handle much lower drops without complaining.

I have Teins on my ride and they actually ride a little smoother than stock springs on my M35 Sport. They are however "HT" luxury drop springs.

The bigger the drop the less spring travel. Period! The bigger the drop the more out of sync the factory springs are. Period!

Furthermore the Teins are "thicker" and are made with top notch materials.

Hopefully this answers your question.

BTW I know you'll do us proud at the track, and best of luck opening a can of whoopazz (I have a feeling you won't need it).
Old 05-28-2009, 05:45 PM

Thanks guys!! Im just making final projects on the car. Camera is installed, and working on battery mount. I will take all the luck I can get as TTOD is tough to get evne though the car is running sooo well.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:22 AM

Anyone compared Tein vs Eibach? I have narrowed down to those two given that they are progressive springs. I know Eibach has a bigger drop, but how does comfort compare to the Tein? I don't want my car to ride too much like a bumper cart I want to maintain some of the comfort level which is one of the reasons I fell in love with the max.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Coolmax provided some great technical info as to why the might ride smoother. I provided the real world experience, even the princess (wife) noticed the difference. She wasn't liking the harshness of ride lso much on the Progress. I'm not knocking them, for the money they are great, with a tight drop. (They probably handle a tad better too) For what I do and my tastes I prefer the Teins. I suspect they might ride better but it's just a guess.

Anyone with Eibachs make the switch? BTW, I did buy Eibachs first go a round but sold before installing in favor of the Progress because at that time people were getting a lot of noise issues with them. I think that is resolved since I haven't seen that in years.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:39 PM

Im on eibachs.....and their riding beautiful
Old 05-29-2009, 09:54 PM

I've been on Eibachs for 3 years + now with KYB GR2s and the car looks cool and not too crazy...rides nice and smooth...not too harsh over bumps.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:20 PM

I went through the same thing a short time back, and decided on the Progress springs, mostly for ride height, Eibachs were lower then I wanted to go, but the Teins weren't low enough. But I also only installed the fronts because I liked the stance with the rear at factory height. Its all personal preference man.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:57 PM

Progress springs on 2 years ..rides better than my cattman coilovers for my 2001 Maxima.