6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Fluid Flush

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:46 PM

Fluid Flush

I'm getting ready to change rotors and brakes.I'm at 58,000 miles,how much does a brake fluid flush run? I'm staying away from the dealership on this one.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:56 AM

10$ for a bottle of prestone dot 3. Will take you 10 minutes more than the brake change. will take a vinyl tube, an empty coke bottle, and a 2nd person to press the pedal.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:31 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by DConrad2007
I'm getting ready to change rotors and brakes.I'm at 58,000 miles,how much does a brake fluid flush run? I'm staying away from the dealership on this one.
I had this done last year at a Goodyear shop, they charged $20 using fluid i brought.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:32 AM

There's a lot more to it than that, so be sure you're taking all the appropriate precautions, and following the steps for bleeding breaks correctly. Most importantly, don't let the master cylinder go below the fill lines when pumping or bleeding, or you will end up with air in the lines which is a huge problem to overcome.

That said I agree, if you wanted to do it yourself it should be really easy, and is a minimum 2 person job. A third can be introduced to ensure fluid stays up in the master when someone is opening each of the wheel cylinders, while someone holds and works the pedal. Not much different the bleeding breaks, but instead you're running all the old fluid out until you see the clear new stuff.

Going rate around here to have it done is around $70-$80, and they ensure they get everything out typically. Not that bad when you figure in the materials and time yourself. Materials, minimum, one 12 pack, unless you intro the 3rd guy, then a case may be necessary. Then you’ll have dirty friends in and out of your bathroom, and dirtying up your sink, and carpet. Lunch may be required, a party pizza will do. Then of course a couple of bottles of fluid. All total, including Stanley Steamer to clean the carpets, and therapy for your wife, about $589…

Old 04-24-2009, 07:03 AM

very tru...LOL
Old 04-24-2009, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
There's a lot more to it than that, so be sure you're taking all the appropriate precautions, and following the steps for bleeding breaks correctly. Most importantly, don't let the master cylinder go below the fill lines when pumping or bleeding, or you will end up with air in the lines which is a huge problem to overcome.

That said I agree, if you wanted to do it yourself it should be really easy, and is a minimum 2 person job. A third can be introduced to ensure fluid stays up in the master when someone is opening each of the wheel cylinders, while someone holds and works the pedal. Not much different the bleeding breaks, but instead you're running all the old fluid out until you see the clear new stuff.

Going rate around here to have it done is around $70-$80, and they ensure they get everything out typically. Not that bad when you figure in the materials and time yourself. Materials, minimum, one 12 pack, unless you intro the 3rd guy, then a case may be necessary. Then you’ll have dirty friends in and out of your bathroom, and dirtying up your sink, and carpet. Lunch may be required, a party pizza will do. Then of course a couple of bottles of fluid. All total, including Stanley Steamer to clean the carpets, and therapy for your wife, about $589…

I am glad you included the therapy for the wife. She'll also probably want you to remodel the bathroom so that may add a few bucks to the total.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:36 AM

Flush

I had everything done right for $100
Old 04-24-2009, 07:41 PM

Maybe some people misunderstood me, I'm getting the brake fluid flushed not bled.I'm going to Goss's Garage located here in Md. Some people have probably heard of him.He's does the drive testing on the Motor Week television show.He owns a shop here in the Md area.Just was wondering what the cost would be for the flush. You can check him out on You Tube, he's very informal when it comes to cars, trucks and motorcycles. Thanks everybody!
Old 04-25-2009, 09:08 AM

Uh, flushing is just bleeding until clear fuild comes out. Instead of pumping the pedal 1-2 times, you pump it 5-6 times. What didnt we understand?
Old 04-25-2009, 10:47 AM

I do most of the things myself, however i pay $80-100 for someone else to get brake fluid all over the place and me stay clean. Plus the dealerships and reputable places have the equipment to make it easier.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:19 PM

Here you go Kryogen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_StMdah5QBs
Old 04-27-2009, 05:33 AM

If you want it done thoroughly, then you pay them to flush it. If you just want to save the money, you bleed it the way we've described.

Point being, if you bleed them, some contamination may be left behind, but no different then when you change your oil in your car. There's always some contamination left behind, but mixes with the new oil to effectively dilute it. That said, you may need to bleed clean your breaks more frequently to achieve the same results of the flush. Therefore, my assesment of $589 just trippled, becasue you're going to need to get your old lady spa treatment for a month after the second session.

Anyway, Firestone in my area did it for $70-80, I can't recall exactly, and they flushed it with one of these systems. I think that's what you origionally were looking for before we shifted gears.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:24 PM

Well I just received a quote from the shop that will change my rotors and brakes,flush the brake fluid and power steering fluid flush.I have my own rotors and brakes. Quote $498.00 Not to bad huh?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:24 PM

do it urself save urself 100 bucks. you can just drain it from the bottom of the radiator. i never did a conmplete fluid flush but i do that once a year and its fine. in my opinion at least.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by enik24
do it urself save urself 100 bucks. you can just drain it from the bottom of the radiator. i never did a conmplete fluid flush but i do that once a year and its fine. in my opinion at least.
You didnt read, did you?
Old 04-29-2009, 05:49 AM

Well I just received a quote from the shop that will change my rotors and brakes,flush the brake fluid and power steering fluid flush.I have my own rotors and brakes. Quote $498.00 Not to bad huh?
Being that I know how to do my brakes, I consider that way too high for labor. Changing the rotors and pads isn't difficult on all 4 disks. (although I've not worked on an 07, i've heard people on teh site here talking about cranking back the parking brake assembly in the back can be a pain. But I think that's on the 5th gen, not sure), I'm just guessing here, average $100 for each flush, brakes and PS, that leaves $300 just to replace brakes which you're providing? Yeah sounds a bit high honestly.

It's hard to deduce since you didn't break out the items they are charging for. I'm curious how much they are charging for both flushes individually, and how much for the brake jobs, seporated front and back if possible. I'm surprised they will let you bring in your own parts too, a lot of places won't warrantee their work unless you use their distributors/parts. Even if you bring in something they would buy, they still make you use their's in order to get any warrantee.

Anyway, if you're looking for opinion on the price, it's better to break it out.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:21 PM

Hey MadMax, on my lunch break I went past the dealer where I purchased my Max two years ago and he quoted me $504.00 to do all three. The labor averaged out to be a few dollars more from the last shop quote.I didn't get him to go line by line but he did say the brake fluid change was $159.00. Oh well.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:22 PM

Maybe some people misunderstood me, I'm getting the brake fluid flushed not bled.I'm going to Goss's Garage located here in Md. Some people have probably heard of him.He's does the drive testing on the Motor Week television show.He owns a shop here in the Md area.Just was wondering what the cost would be for the flush. You can check him out on You Tube, he's very informal when it comes to cars, trucks and motorcycles. Thanks everybody!
Make sure you get a t-shirt!

Nice... I didn't know Pat actually had a garage. lol
Old 05-11-2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
If you want it done thoroughly, then you pay them to flush it. If you just want to save the money, you bleed it the way we've described. Point being, if you bleed them, some contamination may be left behind, but no different then when you change your oil in your car. .
BS. That flush thing just sucks it through the bleders. It doesnt "clean" the tubing more that "pushing" it with the pedal. It doesnt "rinse and wash" the tubing. It just sucks old out and new in, compared to pushing old out and new in. You empty the master, then fill w new fluid, and pump till new fluid comes out. A "flush" if they suck it is exactly the same thing. They will empty the master, pour new in, and suck old out till new comes in. If you want it "really clean", just bleed more, until you are SURE it's all new clean fluid. (which is easy to see because the old crap is brown and new is golden yellow)

EXACTLY THE SAME THING and same result. Fancier, quicker? Less messy, sells better? maybe. Better? BS. If you say that's better, explain to me exactly how it's better and how it gets the lines "cleaner" and with less old fluid. Dont just say it's better because that's BS.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:36 PM

Yeah he has his own shop located in Seabrook, Md, about 15 minutes from DC. What I hear he does pretty good work and stands by it,especially if you watch his show on Saturdays and Sunday mornings.Plus he has a local radio show on top of appearing on Motor Week.His show comes on our local Channel 8 news. Plus he uses BG products.

http://www.goss-garage.com/node/3
Old 05-15-2009, 08:18 PM

Hey everybody.Had the list of work done today to the Max.1. Rotors and brakes replaced all way around. 2. brake fluid flushed and replaced. 3. Power steering fluid replaced. 4. Transmission flush and fluid replaced. 5. Tires purgered and replaced with Nitrogen. 6.Road test. Price $612.74

Shop was professional,technicians was courteous and everything explained throughly.And best of all, no more shimmy when I apply the brakes at high speeds.And I got to meet the man himself Pat Goss.Nice shop and nice work if your in the DC area!
Old 05-15-2009, 08:38 PM

Wow, that cost a hefty penny! I guess it gives you piece of mind, all of your fluids are fresh now and new brakes. Money well spent.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:59 AM

and the best bang for your buck is
5. Tires purgered and replaced with Nitrogen
Old 05-16-2009, 10:48 AM

Eh on the nitrogen... but it's all good...

Sooooo... did you get a t-shirt? lol
Old 05-22-2009, 11:09 AM

I was shopping around for brake flush/power steering flush prices and called the dealer and a guy in the service department told me that there is no recommendation from Nissan on brake/power steering fluids change. He said other companies are selling those services, but it's a waste of money, unless there are some issues with braking/steering. Coming from him I'm willing to believe it's not really necessary to drop upwards $200 for both.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by ubersl
I was shopping around for brake flush/power steering flush prices and called the dealer and a guy in the service department told me that there is no recommendation from Nissan on brake/power steering fluids change. He said other companies are selling those services, but it's a waste of money, unless there are some issues with braking/steering. Coming from him I'm willing to believe it's not really necessary to drop upwards $200 for both.
yup and new cars don't need a break in period, and all fluid besides the engine oil is lifetime