6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

In the market for a Max.. need your help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 04:02 PM

In the market for a Max.. need your help.

Okay, I'm in the market to get a Max!! I've been looking around and here's what I've come up with. Hopefully you all can provide some advise/insight/help.

I've found two that I like. Both are black with black leather interior.

a)2007 SE with 28,300 miles. Has sunroof, bluetooth, factory navigation, heated seats and steering wheel.

b)2008 SE with 16,350 miles. Has sunroof with roof visor, bluetooth, no navi, heated seats and steering wheel.

I can get the 2008 for about $1500 to $2000 more than the 2007. I'm going to go try to look at both of them in the next few days but from the pictures I've seen, both seem to be in really good shape.

Now my question is which seems to be the better deal? Off the top of my head, it seems like the 2008 would be simply because its newer, has less miles, and isn't that much more pricewise. From the specs, it seems to have all that the 2007 has minus the navigation.

Which brings me to the next question... how easy/difficult is it to put an aftermarket touch screen in the 2008? And would you still need to keep the factory info screen like I've seen in some of the member's 2004-2006. If anyone has done this, please point me in the right direction/thread so I can check it out. I already have one of the portable GPS units I can throw in there if I get the 2008, but just in case I want to add an indash setup... or a touchscreen with the backup camera and a headunit.

Also, when I go to check out the cars, is there anything I need to look for that may be common problems? Any sounds, vibrations, etc.?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty exciting about getting one of these cars... just want to make sure I make a good choice and have something to look for/think about when I do make the jump.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:23 PM

I vote for the 07...aftermarket nav setup could easily run u $1500-$2000
Old 04-30-2009, 09:31 PM

Wait a little bit and get an 09......
Old 05-01-2009, 05:46 AM

Make sure you get a carfax. I have seen several good looking cars that were totalled at one time. When a car is totalled, a salvage/junk title is issued, but through a process called "title washing" a less scrupulous person can get a regular title on one of these cars. There are a number of Maximas on Ebay with salvage/junk titles right now.

If there were any significant accidents on the carfax for these vehicles you need to make sure that the frame is relatively straight by checking the body seams. The seams between the metal panels should be roughly even from top to bottom (not wider on one side than the other). Also check the wear pattern on the tires. If the pattern is a little off, then it is probably just an alignment. If it is way off, then it is a sign that the frame shifted. If a frame is out then you will have a hard time getting the alignment and suspension right ever again. This is naked-eye technology, so it is not fool-proof but it is better than nothing.

I'm new to the Maxima seen, these are just good tips when shopping for a used car.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:48 AM

Actually, I have a few Carfax's left on my subscription from my Maxima shopping. If you give me the VIN of these guys, I can send you a pdf of the report.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:50 AM

You're being a little deceptive by not telling us how much you are looking to offer.

I just bought an 07 SL from a dealership, loaded with factory Nav, sliding sunroof, heated seats , 19k miles back in late Feb this year. They started by asking 26k for it, I found their internet price was 24k, and looked up the bluebook to be only 21k. In the end I got it for 20400, plus I got them to throw in a warrantee that takes me to 5 years from my purchase date and 100,000 on the OD for about $900 more, where they would typically charge over 1300. I did pretty good, but still feel I could have gotten the car cheaper at a different dealer. But at a Nissan Dealership, they pretty much know they will sell that car tomorrow if I didn't take it at the price I got.

Now the blue book may have changed a little, and the 07 you're looking at has a few more miles. It is also an SE, although loaded, so that would probably put it very close to that same price. Without taking the time to look it up, I'd think you're around the $19000 blue book range at a full retail dealer price, private party might be $1500 less.

Just figured I'd share my experience, so you don't feel like you have to keep your's a secret.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:55 AM

Wow, something up with KBB. I just went in killing time to look up what you had, and the numbers didn't look right. I then reran mine, at the 19000 miles, and it's coming back as $23600. Two months ago I swear it was 21000, or at most 22000...

That's whack...
Old 05-01-2009, 09:58 AM

Drive both, and pay close attention to every little thing while tootin' around. Squeaks, shimmy, transmission, knocks, idle... etc.

Assuming they were both in good condition, I'd get the '07 with Nav... but your priorities may differ from mine.

If you don't mind one of those portable nav systems, then definitely get the '08.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Stormzusmc
bro, I hate the look of the 09 man...looks like the illegitimate child of the new camry...

that's just me though...
Old 05-01-2009, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKNESS MONSTA
I vote for the 07...aftermarket nav setup could easily run u $1500-$2000
Thanks! Honestly, I can do without the nav but I would like to have it. My girl has an 2007 Altima 3.5 SE fully loaded and it's nice to have the Nav. Besides, can't let her outdo me j/k. Is it easy to update the software on the factory navs? And I read somewhere that you cant add a rearview camera to it... is this true?

That might be an option if I wasn't really in need of a car. I've been holding off long enough and it's time for me to make the jump. Besides, I'm really trying to spend under a certain amount and the 2009s are over that right now.

Originally Posted by addicted2pain
Make sure you get a carfax. I have seen several good looking cars that were totalled at one time. When a car is totalled, a salvage/junk title is issued, but through a process called "title washing" a less scrupulous person can get a regular title on one of these cars. There are a number of Maximas on Ebay with salvage/junk titles right now.

If there were any significant accidents on the carfax for these vehicles you need to make sure that the frame is relatively straight by checking the body seams. The seams between the metal panels should be roughly even from top to bottom (not wider on one side than the other). Also check the wear pattern on the tires. If the pattern is a little off, then it is probably just an alignment. If it is way off, then it is a sign that the frame shifted. If a frame is out then you will have a hard time getting the alignment and suspension right ever again. This is naked-eye technology, so it is not fool-proof but it is better than nothing.

I'm new to the Maxima seen, these are just good tips when shopping for a used car.
Hey, thanks! That was going to be my next question about the carfax. I've bought a few cars in the past (even though they were older models) and ran into a few problems. With this purchase, I am definitely doing my research (special thanks to you guys on the Org!). I'd definitely take your advise and check out the things you mentioned. Thanks!

Actually, I have a few Carfax's left on my subscription from my Maxima shopping. If you give me the VIN of these guys, I can send you a pdf of the report.
THANKS A MILLION!!! I really do appreciated you help!

(2007) 1N4BA41E18C836519
(2008) 1N4BA41E97C854250
Old 05-01-2009, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
You're being a little deceptive by not telling us how much you are looking to offer.

I just bought an 07 SL from a dealership, loaded with factory Nav, sliding sunroof, heated seats , 19k miles back in late Feb this year. They started by asking 26k for it, I found their internet price was 24k, and looked up the bluebook to be only 21k. In the end I got it for 20400, plus I got them to throw in a warrantee that takes me to 5 years from my purchase date and 100,000 on the OD for about $900 more, where they would typically charge over 1300. I did pretty good, but still feel I could have gotten the car cheaper at a different dealer. But at a Nissan Dealership, they pretty much know they will sell that car tomorrow if I didn't take it at the price I got.

Now the blue book may have changed a little, and the 07 you're looking at has a few more miles. It is also an SE, although loaded, so that would probably put it very close to that same price. Without taking the time to look it up, I'd think you're around the $19000 blue book range at a full retail dealer price, private party might be $1500 less.

Just figured I'd share my experience, so you don't feel like you have to keep your's a secret.
Oh, sorry. I wasn't trying to be secretive. Basically, I have a friend who owns a car dealership. He's helping me find a car. So since he's a dealer he can go to auto auctions and purchase vehicles. I can then just purchase the car from his dealership and he won't charge me the overhead or usual dealer mark ups. So technically, I don't know exactly how much the car will be (depends on if someone else wants it just as bad as me... hopefully now ), but from my research, I should save atleast 3 to 4 grand over the KBB retail value.
Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated!

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
Wow, something up with KBB. I just went in killing time to look up what you had, and the numbers didn't look right. I then reran mine, at the 19000 miles, and it's coming back as $23600. Two months ago I swear it was 21000, or at most 22000...

That's whack...
Not sure, but I have noticed that the going price of the 2007-2008 Maxima has went UP over the past few months. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Originally Posted by Oolatec
Drive both, and pay close attention to every little thing while tootin' around. Squeaks, shimmy, transmission, knocks, idle... etc.

Assuming they were both in good condition, I'd get the '07 with Nav... but your priorities may differ from mine.

If you don't mind one of those portable nav systems, then definitely get the '08.
Hey, thanks. I'm so torn right now. I really dont mind the portable nav, but then again it would be nice to already have everything in place. It seems as I can't go wrong with either.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by the macedonian
bro, I hate the look of the 09 man...looks like the illegitimate child of the new camry...

that's just me though...
I dont hate the looks...but Im disappointed in the performance and re-use of some interior stuff from the 6th gen
Old 05-01-2009, 01:50 PM

[quote=THANKS A MILLION!!! I really do appreciated you help!

(2007) 1N4BA41E18C836519
(2008) 1N4BA41E97C854250[/quote]

Both Car faxes came back clean! No accidents or anything reported. PM me your email address and I can send you a pdf.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:14 PM

Both Car faxes came back clean! No accidents or anything reported. PM me your email address and I can send you a pdf.
Thanks!! Check your inbox
Old 05-01-2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by the macedonian

that's just me though...
I guess, have you actually drove one? They are so smooth and refined....You can make them look much better then a camry w/ just tint and rims, and a child of that hardly.....

Originally Posted by ItsTheShoes
That might be an option if I wasn't really in need of a car. I've been holding off long enough and it's time for me to make the jump. Besides, I'm really trying to spend under a certain amount and the 2009s are over that right now.
Yeah I understand.....but I'm sure you can find a decent one within 6 months....but may be too long

I dont hate the looks...but Im disappointed in the performance and re-use of some interior stuff from the 6th gen
the performance isnt that bad, they are fun to drive, and once more parts come out for them it will be better! the interior is nice as well....but this is coming from a 5.5gen owner
Old 05-01-2009, 04:01 PM

the performance isnt that bad, they are fun to drive, and once more parts come out for them it will be better! the interior is nice as well....but this is coming from a 5.5gen owner
They are about as "fun" to drive as a 6.5 gen...and thats not good enuf!
Old 05-02-2009, 07:05 AM

They are about as "fun" to drive as a 6.5 gen...and thats not good enuf!