6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

various little issues with the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 06:59 AM

various little issues with the car

Just wanted to let you know of the various issues that I have had in the last few months. It will help if you have had the same problems and easy fixes if any...
1.Lumbar support broke. Will not inflate or deflate.
2.Driver seat forward and back motor stopped working.
3.Driver side rear door handle sticks out and has to be pushed in to close the door.
4.Trunk release in the driver side door does not work anymore.
5.Plastic trim on the inside of the B pillar right by the driver side seat is peeling off. $75+100 for labor at stealership.
6.Sunroof has a mind of its own. There are days when it does not work. I can raise it using the smaller button but it does not slide back and forth.
7. Grinding sensation in the gas pedal and rough feeling through out the car when rpms go up to 2750-3000. No rattle like when the exhaust bracket breaks just grinding and rough feeling. Checked motor mounts, they are intact. Tranny does not really slip. Acceleration is poor along with this problem and the car sounds much louder like it is being pushed to its limit. It feels and sounds like a 4 banger pushed to the edge.
8.Steering wheel is not as light as it used to be. It has somehow gotten heavier with increasing miles on the car.
9.For some weird reason the wind noise has increased a lot. It is sitting on stock suspension and all plastic trims on the underside are appropriately placed and snugly fitting. Cannot really put a finger on this problem, Any ideas?
10. The perennial shimmy still plagues my car. 3x road force. New tires, one new wheel later. It is still there between 60-75-coarse and disturbing.
I have a 2004 sl 55250 miles on it. The funny part is intermittently it drives like a dream. This beats me. During these times even the shimmy is gone. I am not beating the car. I am asking if you have had the same issues and if there are any fixes. I checked TSBs and found a few but they are not DIY and are expensive at the stealership. Any help will be appreciated.
Does anyone know if the fuel cleaning service at the stealership includes throttle body cleaning and MAF cleaning? Is this an easy DIY? Are there any pics/instructions for this cleaning?
Thank you
Saad

Rick

Last edited by rick sambora; 05-09-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:41 AM

WOW! This sounds like my old Chrysler. I got rid of that car and bought a Nissan so I won't have those problems anymore. So far so good. Knock on wood!
Old 05-09-2009, 02:45 PM
GrandPa

6.Sunroof has a mind of its own. There are days when it does not work. I can raise it using the smaller button but it does not slide back and forth.

Hold the black button to the right of the switch that moves the roof to open and closed positions. Press it forward for about 20 seconds. It should work

1.Lumbar support broke. Will not inflate or deflate.
2.Driver seat forward and back motor stopped working.
There was a recall on the wire harness on the drivers seat for the '04. You also can check out the fuse.

8.Steering wheel is not as light as it used to be. It has somehow gotten heavier with increasing miles on the car.

Check the steering wheel fluid and check all nuts and bolts.

9.For some weird reason the wind noise has increased a lot. It is sitting on stock suspension and all plastic trims on the underside are appropriately placed and snugly fitting. Cannot really put a finger on this problem, Any ideas?

I have a '04. Just turn up the stereo.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:57 PM

So I am assuming you did not buy an extended warranty???

throttle body cleaning and MAF cleaning should be an easy to-do, especially if you have a non factory intake.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:47 PM

as for the sunroof... when my glass slides towards the wind deflector, the resistance from it trips the auto reverse, causing it to slide back. by either holding the pop up deflector down while closing, or tightening the straps to it, you the roof will always close. hope that helps!!