6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Problems with concept front bumper fitment....

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 03:32 PM

Problems with concept front bumper fitment....

I just went to the body shop that's do the work to repair my front end and well they are being held up due to fitment issues. The guy doin the work said the bumper fits, but the bottom of the bumper has about a 2-3inch gap between the plastic skidplate and all the rest of the stuff that connects under there. Is he doing something wrong or did everyone run into this issue. This is the same front bumper that Redline sold, and the one Jsmith has on his car. The guy is talking about making custom brackets to connect the bottom pieces. I want to know if anyone had to do this. Also the corner lights from the stock bumper don't fit the holes provided for this bumper. They are 4in lights and I was told 4in lights fit these holes. Did anyone have to modify the lights or cut and shave the holes for fitment. Please if you can respond to this soon due to my car going into paint here in the next couple days and well if I have to do cutting I need that done before paint to keep a clean look. Thanx
Old 05-15-2009, 04:35 PM

since the bumper is flexible, they can push in the corners and screw them to the plastic mud shield under the wheel well, , thats what I did.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:46 PM

From what I remember, people with that bumper remove the plastic that connects to the bumper. Look at the cars that have that bumper on and you'll see the ground behind the bumper instead of plastic.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by MAX2DAMAX
since the bumper is flexible, they can push in the corners and screw them to the plastic mud shield under the wheel well, , thats what I did.
the bumper is somewhat flexible but not like the GTR bumper due to it being made from Fiberglass vice Duraflex. I knew once I got the bumper I had made the wrong choice for this reason alone. Duraflex is so much better. My recommendation to everyone is don't but fiberglass parts when Duraflex parts are available for this reason alone not worth it IMO. I do like both kits as far as looks are concerned.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:16 PM

o wait, I thought you were taking about my gtr bumper, in that case yea, I don't think fiberglass will flex that much, good luck.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:48 PM

The RLM or Concept bumper does not support the turn lamps..

That 4 inch is for your fog lamps...

Also there is not support for the bottom , if your shop is making custom brackets to support the underside then thats a good deal.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
The RLM or Concept bumper does not support the turn lamps..

That 4 inch is for your fog lamps...

Also there is not support for the bottom , if your shop is making custom brackets to support the underside then thats a good deal.

Damn nice pics of your ride!!!!
Old 05-15-2009, 08:20 PM
*moderator*

When they made the mold for some reason they tried to mold the cornering lights in as fogs even though I told them they did not need to (I helped with all the prototyping of the bumper) So that needs to be completely cut out to fit any standard 4" fog light. We also noticed that with the new height of the bumper that the under splash guard would not reach so we removed mine (as I suppose most members have done) Mine has been that way since the first prototype bumper I put on back in 2005 and I have had no problems. If they are going to make a bracket for free then let them do it but if they plan to charge you then skip it.

While you are at it you might as well have them cut 1.5"-2" off the bottom of the bumper. That was another problem that never got fixed, it is way too low. Not sure if you are lowered or not but you will scrape it and being that it is fiberglass it will crack. I have learned how to drive my car but still get in situations where I am stuck and have to end up scraping (even with 2" cut off of mine) So cut it and still be careful and learn how to drive your car again so you don't end up like this:
Old 05-15-2009, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
When they made the mold for some reason they tried to mold the cornering lights in as fogs even though I told them they did not need to (I helped with all the prototyping of the bumper) So that needs to be completely cut out to fit any standard 4" fog light. We also noticed that with the new height of the bumper that the under splash guard would not reach so we removed mine (as I suppose most members have done) Mine has been that way since the first prototype bumper I put on back in 2005 and I have had no problems. If they are going to make a bracket for free then let them do it but if they plan to charge you then skip it.

While you are at it you might as well have them cut 1.5"-2" off the bottom of the bumper. That was another problem that never got fixed, it is way too low. Not sure if you are lowered or not but you will scrape it and being that it is fiberglass it will crack. I have learned how to drive my car but still get in situations where I am stuck and have to end up scraping (even with 2" cut off of mine) So cut it and still be careful and learn how to drive your car again so you don't end up like this:
First thing I did when I got my RLM was fill in the back of the bumper on the lower peice of the lip, I use more resign and thicken it and then I added the expanding foam from Home depot. It help a bit more...

Seeing that pic hurts ! ouch !
Old 05-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I had zero issues with the installment of the RLM bumper when first installed other than the height. When I went boost I did shave off about an inch of the bottom then took it to a body shop who built up the lower backside of the bumper with Fiberglass for extra strength. But again, I never had a fitment issue. As for the lower underskirt that it will not marry up with the new RLM bumper so I just used heavy duty tie wraps and secured it in place and never worried about it for 3+ years now!!!

Overall I'm extremely pleased:

Old 05-16-2009, 02:37 PM

so is it possible to cut it after they do the work or should I go and have them cut it now. I am almost sure they have it in paint now and I don't want to stop their process if I can help it. Also the brackets are being done for free pretty much. I am paying 200 for this bumper to be prepped for paint due to it being in pretty bad shape when I got it. The people here are real cool but I doubt they will take it out of paint to cut and then repaint for me without charging me. I do not have a drop on the car yet nor do I have sideskirts. I have different ideas for the sideskirts and well the drop is going to have to wait on the bounce back of the economy due to me being picky as hell and wanting the TEIN coilovers with the dampening setup. I also want to know what kind of fogs you guys are running and what you had to do to get them in. If I read correctly you had to cut in order to get them to fit the 4 in lights. I like the side light look. I am pretty sure wit a bit of cutting they will fit perfect but I didn't get that close of a look. So I guess I have two questions. Without a drop do I still need to cut the bottom of the kit? and What fogs are you guys using, and did you have to cut for fitment? thanx again for the quick replies.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:47 PM

ohh while we are at it with the body shop stuff, What are some good colors for two toning black? I have the Onyx Max and like what most of you are doing with the Overlays and two toning. I was leaning alot toward white but really need some suggestions. I have a shop who can make the pieces just need to make the templates which is pretty easy to do. Overlays are nice because you can take em off if you don't like them and they don't hurt the paint. please give me your suggestions and if you have pics that can support it would deffinitly help. Thanx again
Old 05-16-2009, 02:57 PM

Gloss black/flat black???
Old 05-16-2009, 04:24 PM

i too had the gap between the bottom of the bumper and the skid plate. i just got a sheet of black abs plastic 1/8th thick from wife's work laid the skid plate upside down on it, measured the angle gap between gap and bumper,cut to fit,inserted 3 plastic push pins ,like the ones for the shroud, epoxied new piece to skid plate, located area to use wire to attach the ends that is completly hidden and now i have a full skid plate and it ain't movin for nothin. just take your time, and think outside the box. hell, if i could do it, it's a simple job to accomplish, just make sure you got ac/dc playin while you do it, makes it enjoyable.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by 07 Graymax
i too had the gap between the bottom of the bumper and the skid plate. i just got a sheet of black abs plastic 1/8th thick from wife's work laid the skid plate upside down on it, measured the angle gap between gap and bumper,cut to fit,inserted 3 plastic push pins ,like the ones for the shroud, epoxied new piece to skid plate, located area to use wire to attach the ends that is completly hidden and now i have a full skid plate and it ain't movin for nothin. just take your time, and think outside the box. hell, if i could do it, it's a simple job to accomplish, just make sure you got ac/dc playin while you do it, makes it enjoyable.
HAHAHA Bob. I figured you had a fix for it.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Gloss black/flat black???
I am not sure ONYX and it's is glossy I guess . 2004 if that helps. did they make two different types? Looks alot like your's, but without the hottness.

Last edited by po8pimp; 05-16-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:09 PM

hey mark good luck on ur run and hope to see all at t4t this year. i'm off to anchorage, ak. tomorrow and will keep an eye out here for the 41/2 months i'm gone. as for my max, i will have the f-conn,harness and all put on while i'm gone and finally a dyno to see exactly what i have with 2 plus yrs of modding. inside and out i'll be finally done................................maybe. yeah, the skid plate wasn't too difficult to make/install.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
I am not sure ONYX and it's is glossy I guess . 2004 if that helps. did they make two different types? Looks alot like your's, but without the hottness.
KH3 Oynx
Old 05-16-2009, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by 07 Graymax
hey mark good luck on ur run and hope to see all at t4t this year. i'm off to anchorage, ak. tomorrow and will keep an eye out here for the 41/2 months i'm gone. as for my max, i will have the f-conn,harness and all put on while i'm gone and finally a dyno to see exactly what i have with 2 plus yrs of modding. inside and out i'll be finally done................................maybe. yeah, the skid plate wasn't too difficult to make/install.
Why dont u let me run ur f -conn until you get back J/k. Good luck in Alaska and stay in touch
Old 05-17-2009, 06:28 AM

KH3 Oynx
KH3 is all these!
2004= Oynx
2005= Super Black
2006-2009= Black Obsidian

But again all are still Nissan Paint Code KH3, the names have been changed to protect the innocent!!!

Last edited by chernmax; 05-17-2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:43 PM

I was thinking about doing some white or chrome strips down the center. Still want to photoshop it first. Still curious as to what types of fogs you guys are using and what was done to make them fit?
Old 05-17-2009, 02:02 PM

I was thinking about doing some white or chrome strips down the center. Still want to photoshop it first. Still curious as to what types of fogs you guys are using and what was done to make them fit?
I have PIAA 9000 with Halo's. The brackets mount to the inside of the bumper with 2 small bolts. Later on when I had the bumper redone I added rubber gaskets around the fogs and hot glued them in from the rear for a solid sealed look. (but still attached to the original brackets)
Old 05-17-2009, 02:09 PM

are these the same as jsmith has on his car? do they fit nice, meaning no gap around the edge? where can I get them? I tried looking on PIAA's website but no luck. I will cheap fleabay.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:21 PM

are these the same as jsmith has on his car? do they fit nice, meaning no gap around the edge? where can I get them? I tried looking on PIAA's website but no luck. I will cheap fleabay.
Yes, same fogs a J and you obviously don't search very well because on Google when I did a search for PIAA 9000 fogs this was the very first website listed: http://www.truckcustomizers.com/prod...5PIA629.5.html
Old 05-17-2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Yes, same fogs a J and you obviously don't search very well because on Google when I did a search for PIAA 9000 fogs this was the very first website listed: http://www.truckcustomizers.com/prod...5PIA629.5.html
no I didn't do a search I went to PIAA's website for sizes and more info and didn't find them. I will check this link that you provided though thanks.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:37 PM
*moderator*

Those were the fogs I picked out when we first prototyped the bumper, but any 4" fog will fit in there. Most everyone just basically went with the same ones because they are a bit different with the halos in there and they are PIAA's...

Also don't cut it after paint, definitely try to do it before. I had them remold the bottom edge so it would be stronger and look more finished as well...

Last edited by jsmithsole; 05-17-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:16 PM

I think I have an idea of the fogs I will use. I am going to wait till I get the bumper installed and finished prior to putting the ones I want in due to not having them on hand and I am not going to have the shop wait till I get them before they paint because that could be over a week concidering I am in Hawaii. Also think I will do the spray foam in the bottom to help enforce the lip. I was also thinking instead of doing the racing stripes, I will do glow in the dark flames on the hood. This will give me an excuse to get a new paint job for the whole car. The glow in the dark paint mixes with the clear coat and is colorless so you will not see it until it's dark out.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:07 PM

you should try and get the fogs to the body shop , unless your good with fabbing custom brackets or fiberglass acess like some of us.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:55 AM

You could be lazy like me, leave the bottom pieces unattached, go about *edited* and see them dissappear. YIKES!

*Edit: Removed my actual speed to keep from being "the guy who got my thread closed by talking about his speed" LOL

Last edited by KC2010; 05-18-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:44 PM

Figured this is the proper thread to post this in.. not trying to step on anyones toe

so my car is at the bodyshop now and weve had nothing but issues with this bumper... there were so many wholes and pits all sorts of non sense of course with any fiberglass piece there is finishing that needs to be done, but the one i got was in such bad shape... have u guys seen this yet? as far *** bubbles in the glass cracks and what not. it took another day of fixing the bumper itself and another 100 bux. if i knew these bumpers were preped so carelesly i wouldnt have Bought it just a warning to any future buyers... other than that i love it... i guess its a good thing they deeply discounted the bumper before i knew about all the issues..
Old 05-21-2009, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by 6spBaDAsS6ThGeN
so my car is at the bodyshop now and weve had nothing but issues with this bumper... there were so many wholes and pits all sorts of non sense of course with any fiberglass piece there is finishing that needs to be done, but the one i got was in such bad shape... have u guys seen this yet? as far *** bubbles in the glass cracks and what not. it took another day of fixing the bumper itself and another 100 bux. if i knew these bumpers were preped so carelesly i wouldnt have Bought it just a warning to any future buyers... other than that i love it... i guess its a good thing they deeply discounted the bumper before i knew about all the issues..
you purchase the CONCEPT bumper , not the RLM ,
Anytime you purchase any aftermarket bumpers the mold is to blame.

My RLM bumper fit perfectly , but I heard the Concept has flaws like you and the OP

Sometimes when the laid the fiberglass the resign does not mix well or is not dry enough and you get hotspots or waves in the body kit itself.

Redlinemax was the first to do the design and mold, I belive we have Cory and RLM and Luke GTRider for the concept and desiging for the bumper.

But since RLM went out of of business , He sold the rights of the mold to a Cali company. Company these days just dont take the time to lay down the fiberglass well.

its the same case , Max2Max has a good looking kit but the guys that acutally does the kit , also cut corners. My cousing purchase the PitFighter style Body kit for his VR4 recently and it came from the same company as my GTR bumper.

There was flaw and waves in the body kit, Thats why you pay for sometimes.

Theres only a handful of kits that fit , Either urthane like that of Stillen , erbuni , and the kits Ive seen that fit are usually for BMWs and they are made in Germany.

I had a GP sports and Msports front on my s14 and it was the real deal, I paid almost 3G shipped from Japan and months of waiting.

I could have easily purchase the GP sports STYLE kits made here but they do not fit perfectly.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:11 PM

Yea I finally got my car back from the shop. Looks good but still has flaws. I will have to take the bumper off again and lay some more fiberglass when I get time. I am a perfectionist and trust me this is far from perfect. The shop did an awesome job with what they had to work with. I will be posting pictures of everything when I get a chance. Long work days right now, but pics and sound clips to come. I did get the corner lights to fit with a little work and determination. I also purchased some wiremesh and installed it as well.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:41 AM
*moderator*

you purchase the CONCEPT bumper , not the RLM ,
Anytime you purchase any aftermarket bumpers the mold is to blame.

My RLM bumper fit perfectly , but I heard the Concept has flaws like you and the OP
Just it clarify, that Corey did not sell the rights, they just continued making it after RLM closed. It is the same company that made the RLM versions, using the same mold. I worked with them in the development of the bumper since Corey was on the East coast. It never was correct but they never took the time to re do the mold and fix all the issues like the height, the fog cutouts, etc...
By that time they had made the first batch and RLM sold them all. Once RLM went under, they continued selling the same bumper as "concept bumper"

Just wanted to make clear that it never was perfect or will ever be!!
Old 05-27-2009, 08:42 PM

o well i got it for a preet low price with the b.s partial sponsorship as they call it but the shiping is what killed anyway mine isnt perfect either as j says it will never be but we can all try to get close
Old 05-28-2009, 08:01 PM

I had the day off today and wanted to take pictures of the ride but it has been raining all day. Go figure right. Rains like 3 weeks a year here in Hawaii and just so happened to be today. Guess I will be taking the kids to Chucky Cheese instead. Yeaaaah... Hopefully I can get some taken here tomorrow after work if nice out.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole

I assume you fixed your bumper so it doesnt look like this, right?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:56 PM

this bumper is pretty, but horrible quality. had it for less than two weeks and scraped bottom and cracked it.pos
Old 06-17-2009, 11:54 PM

Any remedy available other than shaving it?

po8pimp: Is your bumper shaved?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:57 PM

nope but still on stock suspension with 18s
Old 06-18-2009, 06:38 PM

this bumper is pretty, but horrible quality. had it for less than two weeks and scraped bottom and cracked it.pos

Time for a ZK bumper , hit me up if you want one

Quick Reply: Problems with concept front bumper fitment....