6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Maxima engine stalled in middle of expressway during rush hour! Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:03 PM

Maxima engine stalled in middle of expressway during rush hour! Please help.

As I was driving along in middle of expressway during rush hour the engine of my 04 max just went crazy and shut down all power. All the red lights were on, Emergency Brake, Oil, and Battery. I stepped on the peddle but no power, luckily I was able to use the momentum to swerve across two lanes to stop on the side.

I started the engine again and everything was fine. I thought the reason was that I had no more gas. Oddly the low fuel light went on after this.

Then after several hours this happened again in the mall. I stopped and then all power was gone. I started again but it felt like the battery was dead. After several tries I was able to get engine started.

This happened all the way home. Everytime I start it took a few tries. When I start the car it seems not to be able to go pass 2k RPM until I get going then it goes up to 3k rpm. When in drive the car does not move forward, I have to really step on the peddle to get it going. When I switch from Drive to Neutral there is a big thump and jerk. The acceleration is very jerky. When driving all the amber lights come on, SLIP, TCS OFF, and SERVICE ENGINE SOON.

Does anyone know what might be the problem and what I should do? I had this car for a couple of years and never had a single problem. It has been well taken care of.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:31 AM

Sounds like what I just went throught all the lights came on(serv,brake,batt,ex.), then they would flicker I couldnt accelerate,when I would switch from park to reverse it would thump or jerk, then it just died out. Turns out it was the alternator....

Last edited by Icons04SilverMax; 05-23-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:36 AM

Ok, recently i had a similar problem but i can't tell if it really relates to this situation
My car was stored the whole winter in my garage. So when i started driving my max, the battery had expanded and it stopped charging. So everytime i had to jump started my car.The battery wouldn't hold charge at all. So it happened, i stopped at red light and when it turned green, i couldnt go forward. So i put my car in N, revved it up until like 3k and then put in D and then it would work. So i had to do that each time i stopped.

I bought a new battery and problem is solved. I think Maxima's have Electronic Throttle so if the car does not have enough charge or low on battery, the throttle will not work properly.

When i read, u have pretty much similar situation. Try another battery, borrow one or something, if it solves you problem, then buy a new one.

Last edited by mohsinkhan35; 05-23-2009 at 01:38 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:51 AM

Sounds like your battery is dying, Anytime the battery is low the ECU will go into a LIMP mode, it shuts the car down until the issue is fix

Same goes if your OVERHEATING
or
In case your Belts snap

I have had all three of this happen and the ECU will go into LIMP mode and the car shuts down.

More than likely your battery is dying.
Go to Autozone and have it check it out for free , im betting its a dead battery
Or sometimes its a loose connection on the battery terminal
Old 05-23-2009, 06:03 AM

The symptoms you describe sound like a clogged fuel filter. I'm relatively new to the Max, so I'm not sure how the lights on the dash would react to such a problem.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:27 AM

Battery or alternator, have both checked. I was driving my commuter car (not a maxima) all power went away, turned out it was the alternator. I believe autozone can check the alternator as well, not sure though. let us know what you find out
Old 05-23-2009, 08:49 AM

thanks!

Good to hear that it's either the battery or alternator and nothing really serious. It's scary for such a thing to happen because of simple things like that.

Good to know before I bring it into the mechanic.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by sharkyjay
Good to hear that it's either the battery or alternator and nothing really serious. It's scary for such a thing to happen because of simple things like that.

Good to know before I bring it into the mechanic.
Its a good thing you asked on the org first. Let us know what the problem was !!
Old 05-23-2009, 05:25 PM

Alternator. happened to my wife right in middle of expressway
Old 05-23-2009, 09:12 PM

need new transmission!

I brought it to him and he said I need a new transmission and a solis or something that switches gears.

The problem I have is when I was on the highway something just give and suddenly it went down to 2k rpm from 3.5k or so and the SLIP, TCS, and Engine light came on.

He said that it's the tranny and that it went into 5th gear that's why it was going at 2k rpm. So I have to replace the tranny. He said it will be $1000 to $2000.

I had to take the bus home. Oh boo!

What do you guys think?
Old 05-23-2009, 09:21 PM

make sure battery cable are tight if is tight then it's alerator.

n it not battery it's alerator if is battery cable tight.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:18 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by addicted2pain
The symptoms you describe sound like a clogged fuel filter. I'm relatively new to the Max, so I'm not sure how the lights on the dash would react to such a problem.
6th Gen Maxima's don't have a fuel filter that is replaceable like other cars. I suspect battery or altenator. Battery may be dieing, but then again alternator may not be charging it to capacity either!
Old 05-24-2009, 05:36 AM

sharkyjay you are getting ripped off by that mechanic....
Get your car back..........
Old 05-24-2009, 05:42 AM

sounds like the alternator went bad and you used up all the juice from the battery.

the battery SHOULD still be good, but you may have to replace both. id start with the alternator. and then see if it charges the battery back up and holds.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:08 AM

hey guys, when this happened to you, would the car automatically switch to 5th gear and not go up pass 2k rpm?

Would this be caused by the Maxima's Electronic Throttle when the charge is low as mohsinkhan35 said?
Old 05-24-2009, 11:20 AM

its possible i guess. who knows what kinda programming they throw in those computers.

i had a 91 celica and the alternator went bad on me, manual transmission, i could barely keep the thing running. id floor it and it just acted like there was no fuel. but it was really lack of spark.

so what you described really sounds like a lack of power(electricity) to me.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by sharkyjay
hey guys, when this happened to you, would the car automatically switch to 5th gear and not go up pass 2k rpm?

Would this be caused by the Maxima's Electronic Throttle when the charge is low as mohsinkhan35 said?

What your stating here has happen to me BUT not due to a dead battery or low charge.

driving in Normal ( D ) and you get to a stop light , You accerlate and it seems very sluggish like its not going , I switch the gear shifter to TipTronic and its stuck in ( 5 TH )

To get it back I usually shift it back to ( N ) and shut the car and restart her again quickly.

The Indicator will show BLANK and then Back into ( D ) or if your back in TipTronic ( 1 - 2 - 3 etc )

if your tranny down shifts hard esp from 3rd-2nd and BANGS into gear or if it feels like youve been rear ended.. your going to have tranny issues.

I would suggest doing a flush and checking your tranny mounts.

* thats IF the things I said is happening *
Old 05-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When the car goes in to "fail safe" mode, one can often mistake the battery or alternator issue for a transmission issue...Check the battery and alternator first...second if it's the alternator, get a rebuilt if your car is out of warranty. They are much cheaper and they rebuilt shops will generally provide you with a cash credit for your old one. Make sure your battery keeps it's charge...if it has not been replaced ever since the car was purchased then change it...it's time is up. batteries usually don't last more than 6 to 7 years tops if you live in a cold climate...."Fail safe" usually will put the car in to 5th gear. Best to stop the car...by putting it in to neutral first then rolling to a stop. Turn off engine and wait one minute then restart...should start normally.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:15 PM

I would pull the codes and see if it could be the CSP sensor. That's what I had happen to me when my car **** itself. There will be codes even if it's the transmission. I would make nissan prove to me that my whole transmission needed replaced and tell me how it broke.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:38 PM

I had the same problem and it was a failed cam sensor...it was like $50 and took 2 mins to swap out. Apparently they are notorious for failing out of nowhere. Good luck!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by floppynuts3333
I had the same problem and it was a failed cam sensor...it was like $50 and took 2 mins to swap out. Apparently they are notorious for failing out of nowhere. Good luck!
He swapped the cam sensor as well and told me I need a new transmission and it's going to be $2000! Crazy!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:56 AM

What if it starts normally? then does it mean it's not the transmission? That's what happened, after I restart it, it's all normal then it goes to fail safe mode. If it's the transmission wouldn't it always be messed up from the point I start the car?

Originally Posted by xorbitman
When the car goes in to "fail safe" mode, one can often mistake the battery or alternator issue for a transmission issue...Check the battery and alternator first...second if it's the alternator, get a rebuilt if your car is out of warranty. They are much cheaper and they rebuilt shops will generally provide you with a cash credit for your old one. Make sure your battery keeps it's charge...if it has not been replaced ever since the car was purchased then change it...it's time is up. batteries usually don't last more than 6 to 7 years tops if you live in a cold climate...."Fail safe" usually will put the car in to 5th gear. Best to stop the car...by putting it in to neutral first then rolling to a stop. Turn off engine and wait one minute then restart...should start normally.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:10 AM

SECOND OPINION, GET ONE and you should be able to get a better price on a tranny, shop arond. keep us posted
Old 05-28-2009, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Hamchan
SECOND OPINION, GET ONE and you should be able to get a better price on a tranny, shop arond. keep us posted
Seriously it sounds like this mechanic is shooting at a dart board...
Old 05-28-2009, 11:12 AM

I thought the alternator took over after the car was started?
Old 05-28-2009, 07:39 PM

alternator does take over after car is started. However if the alternator goes then the car wouldn't stay running. I still think it's the CSP sensor. If it was my car I would replace both sensors myself without the mechanics help. If it doesn't work then at least I would have new ones and only be out $150-$200 at the most. very easy to remove and are known to fail. I also would have asked to see the old sensor when they put the new one in. I allways ask to see the broken part if someone does the work besides me both for piece of mind knowing I didn't get ripped off and see see what to look for next time it happens. They have to show you it if you ask. Also if they want your old tranny as a core charge then there is something fishy about that to me. I think they are going to rebuild the old one not put a new one in. I would get serial numbers off the old one and take a picture and then once they put the new one in compare to see the difference. Good luck with whatever you chose to do. Just remember shops are hurting for customers and income due to the economy so they will cut corners to save a buck or two.