6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Crashed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 02:16 PM

Crashed!!!

so im out with some friends for drinks last night and as usual i am the DD cause i have the nicest car. (mixed blessing i might say). and after my friend gets in an argument with his girlfriend and some other guys try to fight us we decide to go home before anything happens. so we all pile into my car and as im backing out of this miniature parking lot with all the agility of a cruise ship and all the back windows fogged up. i manage to bump into a little fence thing around the parking permit booth. i thought i had merely bumped it and didnt think anything of it. so i get home and this is what i find.

i just got laid off last week so i wasnt really planning on paying for a new bumper and paint but oh well, such is life.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That's life isn't it grand sometimes!...Since you were doing the DD would it be uncool to ask your GF to ask for donations to help you with your bumper repair/paint? You're looking at about $250.

I can tell you that the best thing that I ever installed on my mirrors were these little round light blue tinted "blind spot" mirrors...you see absolutely everything around the car...I have it on both sides! Fits nice over the existing mirror...comes with the 3M tape, just make sure the mirror surface is perfectly clean before you stick it on. It's about under 2" in diameter.

Better luck next time.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:25 PM

i almost cried when i saw it. like dropping your own baby.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Shoey1
i almost cried when i saw it. like dropping your own baby.
Damn double whammy. Sorry that you lost your job, I know how that feels. How bad is the economy in Canada? Anyway, hopefully you can find another job to help fix that bumper. But I think dropping a baby is far worse than damaging your bumper.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:43 PM

oh man.. sorry to hear the bad news.... you can always put a big decal over it...

i hope things get better for you.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:52 PM

damn, sorry to hear that bro. Things like this happen to the best of us. I guess you can always say someone hit your car while it was parked and just pay the deductable on your insurance(assuming the deductable is no more than 500). You now also have an excuse to get a 6.5 gen rear too. lol
Old 06-21-2009, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by 2LEET4U
oh man.. sorry to hear the bad news.... you can always put a big decal over it...

i hope things get better for you.

oooh!!!! time for a NOS sticker?! (hits head on wall) oh jut need some sense knocked back into me....ill just get a new bumper.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:14 AM
.org extraordinaire

Awh man, that sucks, Well if i can cheer you up, You can have my stillen lip for free if you want to drive to whitby to pick it up. It just needs to be painted to match your car. Mind as well get both done if your doing the rear. Ohh and buy a 2007 rear bumper this time will you!

Kamski
Old 06-22-2009, 07:27 AM

Sorry to hear that. I **** up my bumper everytime I get it fixed. Dont know why they didnt put the damn sonar in these things when they came out.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:19 AM

Sucks man... good thing none of the sheet metal was damaged. Now that would have sucked x 10!

Honestly, for now? I'd just duct tape it so water doesn't get in there. It's plastic, so it won't rust or anything... then you can put off fixing it for now.. until you get back on your feet.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:46 AM

Damn bro...When it rains it pours. Good thing it is not too too bad. Good luck finding a new job man.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:12 AM

yea two weeks ago i was pullin out of the gym and a girl hit me... but all that means is to upgrade... i bought the 07-08 bumper its getting painted now and you just gotta look forward to bigger and better things
Old 06-22-2009, 11:10 AM

Now, you are a dude who's glass is half full all the time. That's the only way to look at it. Time to upgrade.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:20 PM

Sorry men

Hey,

I know how that feels about the scratch. Upgrade as the other guys are saying and if you can, instal sonar! I got sonar and as annoying as it gets, it is super awesome!

Your car is very beautiful, so, get the best on it.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:18 PM

so for the guys out there who have had a similar issue what did it cost you guys?
Old 06-22-2009, 04:13 PM

just cover it up with a bumper sticker, thats what they are good for
Old 06-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

That sucks but in hindsight, now's a good time to replace it with a 6.5 gen rear bumper. It will cost more to repair than to buy a new bumper because it's plastic!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 09:04 PM

same thing happened to me but luckily there was no suprise..
Old 06-22-2009, 10:10 PM

Man, well you can get the 6.5 rear . Goodluck tho.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mu_036sp
Man, well you can get the 6.5 rear . Goodluck tho.
+1
Old 06-23-2009, 08:50 AM

sorry to hear that buddy - you will find some new work soon; don't worry about that

i'd go with Chern and grab the 6.5 gen bumper or you can try http://www.tigerautoparts.com/ they have a bunch of stuff bud - my cousin bought some stuff for his 240sx and best part is they are local (right out of Scarborough).

Hope this helps buddy!
Old 06-23-2009, 09:08 AM

That Sukz Bro..

Old 06-25-2009, 09:24 AM

Lose one bumper, get a better one(6.5)
Old 06-27-2009, 07:30 PM

so for the guys out there who have had a similar issue what did it cost you guys?
Someone above mentioned $250 and I think that is way off. Someone side swiped my car in the parking lot damaging my bumper (see pics below) and the quote I got from the body shop recommended by my insurance was $485. It cost me $250 since that was my deductible. Your damage looks worse.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:12 AM

just got my car back from the body shop. turns out there was more damage to my car then i thought but not from my little bump i had. apparently the car has been rear ended before i bought it. the crash bar is broken and the body is pushed in about 3/4 inch. so i have the new bumper cover on now but will be dropping it back off with them some time soon to have the rest fixed properly. they said they can pull the body back out and can get a new crash bar but they need to have it for 2 days. at least i found a new job, working at a transmission shop now so i might be able to get the inside scoop on maxima transmissions from the transmission builder i work with. maybe figure out what the weak points are.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:02 PM

just got my car back from the body shop. turns out there was more damage to my car then i thought but not from my little bump i had. apparently the car has been rear ended before i bought it. the crash bar is broken and the body is pushed in about 3/4 inch. so i have the new bumper cover on now but will be dropping it back off with them some time soon to have the rest fixed properly. they said they can pull the body back out and can get a new crash bar but they need to have it for 2 days. at least i found a new job, working at a transmission shop now so i might be able to get the inside scoop on maxima transmissions from the transmission builder i work with. maybe figure out what the weak points are.

OK maybe it's me but the color match looks off!!!
Old 07-02-2009, 12:48 AM

yea if that is the finished product I would take it back to get redone. That is way darker in color than the rest of the body. Also good to hear you found a new job. I will start by saying the problem with our trannies are their max torque ratings are lower than the stock Max's torque output. Should be other way around. You should research how to make them stronger rather than trying to find the problem. Better solenoids/torque converters/rebuild kits/etc. Keep us posted. I will be honest at first I thought you photo chopped your pics, but then I clicked on it and am still convinced it is the wrong color
Old 07-02-2009, 05:28 AM

The color will always look off. If it is not the dealership, I promise you, there is no way to find a perfect match. I have seen that a lot on any car that has gotten a rear bumper replaced. I did mine once on my 03 Camry I used to have. Same color like your Max and my Max now. Took it to a body shop recommended by my insurance company. When I got it back, as keen as I am about my cars, I could tell the color difference.

A freshly painted bumper, cannot exactly match the manufacturers paint that was used in 2004 on that car. Of course, even with the exact color matches from the colors paint code. Look around. Any replaced bumper, hadly ever matches 100%. If its your bumper replaced, and painted to match ORIGINAL MANUFACTURERS PAINT, you will always notice a difference. But if you paint the whole car, of course you would not see the difference.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima
The color will always look off. If it is not the dealership, I promise you, there is no way to find a perfect match. I have seen that a lot on any car that has gotten a rear bumper replaced. I did mine once on my 03 Camry I used to have. Same color like your Max and my Max now. Took it to a body shop recommended by my insurance company. When I got it back, as keen as I am about my cars, I could tell the color difference.

A freshly painted bumper, cannot exactly match the manufacturers paint that was used in 2004 on that car. Of course, even with the exact color matches from the colors paint code. Look around. Any replaced bumper, hadly ever matches 100%. If its your bumper replaced, and painted to match ORIGINAL MANUFACTURERS PAINT, you will always notice a difference. But if you paint the whole car, of course you would not see the difference.
I disagree, I purchased my Max in Aug 2003, my car still has the original Red Opulence paint since I purchased the car but have had the RLM front bumper perfectly matched, rear replacement bumper matched and the Stillen side and rear skirts matched. What I don't except is a paint shop telling me well that's normal!!! Sorry I have different standards...

Old 07-02-2009, 02:28 PM

Chernmax, I must say I still disagree with you from what I have seen around here in Houston. I mean not in pictures. But physically, seen, touch and looked at it closely.

As for your car, I must be honest to say it looks CLEAN! For real. From your pics, I cannot tell any difference, especially since you say that is the original paint that it came with from the dealership. I had looked at your car some time ago thinking you had the whole car painted red. But I guess I was thinking wrong. Your paint job is in one word, FLAWLESS. I wonder if it is just because I am seeing it in pictures, not in person. Did you get it painted at the dealership or where? But till I happen to see it in person, I will go with the fact that your paint matches 100%.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:51 PM

I agree with chern. I had my passenger door done and they mucked it up pretty good. Sent it back and had it redone. If I am paying for something to get done it better get done right or you will do it over. No exceptions. That color match is so far off. I would call the insurance company if they paid for it or the shop that did it and have it redone.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima
Chernmax, I must say I still disagree with you from what I have seen around here in Houston. I mean not in pictures. But physically, seen, touch and looked at it closely.

As for your car, I must be honest to say it looks CLEAN! For real. From your pics, I cannot tell any difference, especially since you say that is the original paint that it came with from the dealership. I had looked at your car some time ago thinking you had the whole car painted red. But I guess I was thinking wrong. Your paint job is in one word, FLAWLESS. I wonder if it is just because I am seeing it in pictures, not in person. Did you get it painted at the dealership or where? But till I happen to see it in person, I will go with the fact that your paint matches 100%.
No I had my paint shot at a local place (PJ's autobody) which guarantees a color match. They do a test shoot and understand the fading affects of a car which they re-shoot a test strip 2-3 times till they get a direct match. Their policy is to do it right the first time and are one of the best body/paint shops in my area. It's that attitude about the quality of their work that makes them one of the best paint shops in my area and they spend less time on excuses. Bottom line, if the paint doesn't match then why on earth if insurance is paying for it would you except nothing but the best for your ride. Stand up for your ride and what you have paid for!!!
Old 07-03-2009, 09:32 AM

I think you are right, Chernmax. I saw my color on my ride at that time did not match and I complained to the shop. Know what they did? They showed me one other car that the color did not match too. Then told me they serve a lot of other insurance companies and that is how the work comes out to be. This guy swore that when a bumper is re-painted at a shop, it can never match 100%. With that, I remember feeling convienced that I did not have any reason to call my insurance and complain. Po8pimp, I guess I should have done as both of you said, go back and ask them to do it right to match. I wonder how that would have turned out for me. Oh well, I sold my Camry on July 3rd last year to a senior and the next day, July 4th, I went to pickup my 08 Maxima. If something happens to this car and it has to be painted, I will make sure the paint matches.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I agree wit Chern too.....+1 dawg.....i had an 04 Mazda6 Sport and some drunk lady hit me.....my hood my driver side headlight, fender and front bumper was ***** d up.....i took my car to my boys shop Accent Body Shop here in Tulsa.....and they painted peeeeeerfect match......they told me they used some type of gloss.or some ***t like that....dont know
Old 07-05-2009, 03:10 PM

I recommend taking it to another shop and explaining the situation. They will confirm how Jacked this is. If you need have them talk with the insurance company and maybe have them fix it and the insurance deal with the other company.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:16 PM

should be a really easy fix. nothing major.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Damm.. ill b tight
Old 07-05-2009, 09:35 PM

I don't think its that off, but pictures aren't a great way to judge. The lighting doesn't seem good, it looks like a cloudy day or early evening. I know you have to wait a bit to wash, especially power wash but maybe when the rest of the car is all clean it will show better.

Some of my idiot friends accidentally broke off my side view mirror in May, I got it fixed at a private body that does a lot of dealership work and specializes in S2000s (Cuz my buddies knew ppl there) It didn't seem to match the first day or two but now I can't see the difference.

At least things are picking up for you now.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:54 PM

Ouch! I feel your pain :-(
Old 07-10-2009, 07:04 PM

Sweet

Quick Reply: Crashed!!!