6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2007 2008 Maxima Halogen to HID conversion + video

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:46 AM

2007 2008 Maxima Halogen to HID conversion + video

I got my HID 6000K headlight and foglight kits from Max Power about a week ago and I was having some problems with getting the headlights to work correctly. After taking the front end off and putting it back on 3 times, spending a lot of time on the line with Oracle tech support, emailing Craig, and a lot of trial and error I finally got them to work.

10:30am - My car is broken down from all of the testing that I was doing trying to find a reason why the headlights don't work. I hadn't heard any suggestions from Craig or Oracle on what else to try so I start putting everything back together and hook up the HID fogs until we can get the headlights figured out. The hardest part was finding somewhere to mount the ballasts. After reading on the org I see others mounted them on their bumper and haven't had any problems with melting. I get some velcro and secure the fog ballasts with 2 strips to the to the inner fenders just down from the foglights.

1:00pm - I take a break after finishing putting everything back together I check this org to see if Craig wrote back. I saw his suggestion he wrote at 10:45am to reverse the connector on the back of the HID bulb and it could fix my problem. DAMMIT! Time to start breaking it down again and give it a shot.

1:30pm - I test out the headlight configuration he suggested and it works. Time to put it all back together.

4:20pm - Done finally and the lights look great! Minor fitment issues with the passanger side headlight. I did some minor enlarging of the hole on the rear housing where I ran the wires and eventually everything slips back in smooth as silk.

Let me give you all a some tips if you are going to put them on your 2007/2008.
1. After you have moved your fenderlining out of the way and are about to take out the 2 10mm bolts holding the front bumpter to the front fender make sure you have an extension or 2 for your socket. Having 2 extensions will make it a lot easier to reach the bolts, but it can be done with just one.

2. When it comes to the headlights try inserting the connector on the HID bulb into the white connector on the inside of your headlight housing and see if it works. If it doesn't then try rotating the white connector (at 3:30 on the video) and test.

3. If you have to do some testing of the bulbs and ballasts and have to remove the HID wire that goes to the ballast, I found that it is much easier to remove that wire by using a microfiber towel and a small flathead screwdriver. Insert the small flathead screwdriver under the tabs that connect the wire to the ballast and rotate the screwdriver to give the clips some clearance to make it over the tab on the ballast. Now take your microfiber shop towel and lightly pull on the wire connector with one hand and the ballast with the other. I found that this way will help get the connector loose without tearing up your hand. Might be a no brainer, but it could help if you haven't thought of it.

Originally I tried the clip inserted the original way and didn't rotate it. I tried hooking up all combinations of ballasts and bulbs and I couldn't get the headlights to work, but when I hooked up the halogens back up they did work. If I tried putting in the foglights in any balasts they worked, but the HID headlights would not. Bottom line, test, test, test, and be patient

Thanks for all your help Craig.

Here is the walkthrough of how to get the grille, font bumper, and headlights off. Please try to save the file instead of viewing it over and over again. I want to stay within my bandwidth limits.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:42 AM

damn, i think i will just have someone do it for me. I would have given up on the second try. thanks for the write up and video i know it will help a lot of people
Old 08-10-2009, 01:29 PM

I just picked up some 6.5 headlights- non xenon. I'm assuming I need to get D2S bulbs for the hid's?