6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Tranmission Issues...need advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 06:55 AM

Tranmission Issues...need advice!!!

yesterday my trany gave up on me...I was cruising back from work when i decided to pull over at the gas station to grab something to drink. As soon as i got back in the car, it didn't start. after couple of attempts it finally started and wasn't moving! Every time i changed gears from park to reverse and park to drive it gave a hard jerk. the reason it wasn't moving was because the gears weren't starting off right. I had my 04 Maxima in the 5th gear and it wont shift down back to the first one. Checked the oil everything was normal. got it towed back to my house, and in the mourning it was fine started easily, took off in the first gear and has a check service soon light.

is the a sign for me to get rid of the car?
what should i do?
please advice
Old 08-12-2009, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by maximaaa04
yesterday my trany gave up on me...I was cruising back from work when i decided to pull over at the gas station to grab something to drink. As soon as i got back in the car, it didn't start. after couple of attempts it finally started and wasn't moving! Every time i changed gears from park to reverse and park to drive it gave a hard jerk. the reason it wasn't moving was because the gears weren't starting off right. I had my 04 Maxima in the 5th gear and it wont shift down back to the first one. Checked the oil everything was normal. got it towed back to my house, and in the mourning it was fine started easily, took off in the first gear and has a check service soon light.

is the a sign for me to get rid of the car?
what should i do?
please advice
Find out what CEL code you are throwing... and we can go from there. It really does sound like it's gone bad, but finding out what code/codes you are getting would really help. I'd go to AutoZone and have them scan with their ODBII reader.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

how many miles are on the car?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:22 AM

Why would you get rid of the car anyway even if the trans has an issue? Its 5 yrs old
Old 08-12-2009, 04:47 PM

Iv got 59250 miles on it as of right now. CEL reads 3 codes

1st:P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Bank-1 Circuit Malfunction
2nd:P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Bank-1 Circuit Malfunction
3rd:P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Bank-1 Circuit Malfunction
Old 08-12-2009, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by tunafish51
Why would you get rid of the car anyway even if the trans has an issue? Its 5 yrs old
Because i really dont want to spend any more money on this car as im at a point where im getting sick and tired of this maxima.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:57 PM

has anyone else here had a similar problem..
Old 08-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

has anyone else here had a similar problem..
http://www.boredmder.com/FSM/Nissan/Maxima/2004/ec.pdf
page 281 tells you how to diagnose what's wrong and fix that code.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:25 PM

Just had the same issue. Changed the cam position sensor closest to the radiator and it fixed the problem.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by NIKV69
Just had the same issue. Changed the cam position sensor closest to the radiator and it fixed the problem.
your transmission did the same thing? if so whats the theory behind that?
Old 08-12-2009, 11:16 PM

if your 5th sticks and doesnt downshift back , (while your driving) if your crusing at a safe speed, shift it to ( N ) and turn off the key and restart it quickly and back into ( D )

this is what I had to do , but in the end the tranny gave up 3rd Gear.

Went for a 2nd Tranny with 22K miles on it and it still had some shift shock.

In the end your either going to spend money to build a tranny or trade the car in.

In my case Ive paid the car in full when I first got it and invest too much to lose it.
Its in a middle of a 6spd swap as of now.

I talk to another member here last night and we spoke on the phone, I told him he should trade the car, it would be wiser
Old 08-12-2009, 11:17 PM

Hmm , Im not sure how that could cause the tranny to stick but I will look into that for future reference.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
if your 5th sticks and doesnt downshift back , (while your driving) if your crusing at a safe speed, shift it to ( N ) and turn off the key and restart it quickly and back into ( D )

In the end your either going to spend money to build a tranny or trade the car in.

In my case Ive paid the car in full when I first got it and invest too much to lose it.

I talk to another member here last night and we spoke on the phone, I told him he should trade the car, it would be wiser
how many miles were on the car when you replaced the tranny with the 22k unit? how did your motor mounts and transmission mount look when you put the other tranny on?
Old 08-13-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
how many miles were on the car when you replaced the tranny with the 22k unit? how did your motor mounts and transmission mount look when you put the other tranny on?
I put in about 3miles on the 2nd (22K tranny )

it was a 2004 Tranny.

I have a theory that if 2004 guys can find a 2005-06 tranny that it may help.

I rarely hear any issue in a 2006 5AT tranny but its just a theory.

Ive all but given up the volvo/saturn tiptronic POS>

The tranny shop is rolling the ball right now and trying to get the 6spd up and running by this weekend.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:44 AM

im really leaning towards trading the car back for something else....
Old 08-14-2009, 06:20 PM

im really leaning towards trading the car back for something else....
If you do not see yourself attach to this car , and is having tranny issue Then do yourself/Family/Bank a favor and trade it in.

Dont go thru the headaches if your not attached to the car or has spent a fair amount to the point of no return.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:44 PM

your transmission did the same thing? if so whats the theory behind that?
It is not your transmission. Yes I had the same issues when my cam position sensor failed. Our cars go into something called "fail safe mode" when a sensor such as this fails. It limits our speed and tranny won't shift. Don't worry its not a big deal. Just read the error code, the plug is right under the dash and it will tell you. At first your check engine light won't come on and sometimes it resets but after a couple of weeks it will do it again and you must replace the bad sensor. Once you read the ECU it will tell you exactly which sensor needs to be replaced. After which all will be fine. You may have to reset the ECU but that is easy.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:12 PM

How much does it cost to replace the sensor and is this covered with the extended warranty you purchase?
Old 08-14-2009, 07:44 PM

How much does it cost to replace the sensor and is this covered with the extended warranty you purchase?
Not sure but it's an easy to do it yourself. The sensor closest to the radiatior took me literally 5 mins and is screw out the old one and screw in the new one type thing. The other one closest to the firewall looks like a little more involved in that you have to remove the air filter assembly and other stuff but not hard at all. Part is anywhere from 70-100 bucks.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:49 PM

I had this problem on my old car. It was the two trans sensors. Not really sure if we have them on the Maxima's.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:18 PM

If you do not see yourself attach to this car , and is having tranny issue Then do yourself/Family/Bank a favor and trade it in.

Dont go thru the headaches if your not attached to the car or has spent a fair amount to the point of no return.
im very attached to the maxima...but im at a stage in my life where i cant be spending money that often on a car.
thanks for the advice
Old 08-14-2009, 11:19 PM

It is not your transmission. Yes I had the same issues when my cam position sensor failed. Our cars go into something called "fail safe mode" when a sensor such as this fails. It limits our speed and tranny won't shift. Don't worry its not a big deal. Just read the error code, the plug is right under the dash and it will tell you. At first your check engine light won't come on and sometimes it resets but after a couple of weeks it will do it again and you must replace the bad sensor. Once you read the ECU it will tell you exactly which sensor needs to be replaced. After which all will be fine. You may have to reset the ECU but that is easy.

thanks so much....your advice has saved me so much money and mental stress!!!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 11:20 PM

im trading it in soon....if anyone needs any parts do let me know....il post pictures up for the stuffs i have which il swap out and install the oem
Old 08-14-2009, 11:51 PM

Not sure but it's an easy to do it yourself. The sensor closest to the radiatior took me literally 5 mins and is screw out the old one and screw in the new one type thing. The other one closest to the firewall looks like a little more involved in that you have to remove the air filter assembly and other stuff but not hard at all. Part is anywhere from 70-100 bucks.
Hmm Ive been in fail safe mode and the limp mode would just make the car move no faster than 15mph.

I dont think that would effect the tranny mis shifting.

It may have but this is the first I heard of the cam sensor issue.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:55 AM

thanks so much....your advice has saved me so much money and mental stress!!!!!
Oh I know what your talking about. My experience with this happened on my trip back from Nevada. At first I thought my tranny went as this happened to me at the Venetian parking garage, but as I drove it I kept feeling it had to be something electrical. I thought either the fuse or relay that controlled the valve body had failed. Then as quick as it happened it fixed itself and didn't do it again till I was visiting a friend in Dallas. As luck would have it he is a motor head like me and had the scanner. A quick plug in told me exactly when my cam position sensor failed (actually it happened 3 times) and which one had to be replaced. A quick trip to get the part and back to his house for the easy install and it was fixed. If I remember correctly he did reset my ECU afterwards. With this website and all the other tools never panic when this happens and get the info. It will save you a ton.

Hmm Ive been in fail safe mode and the limp mode would just make the car move no faster than 15mph.

I dont think that would effect the tranny mis shifting.

It may have but this is the first I heard of the cam sensor issue.
Yes it does. Once the computer goes into fail safe it turns off injectors at a certain RPM. Basically I think all signals from all areas fail to reach the ECU. So you get the very hard start, hard shift and won't go over a certain RPM. I had to drive at 70mph for 20 miles on the Dallas interstate with it. Once you replace the faulty sensor and clear computer all signals resume and normal drive train operation is restored.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:28 AM

Oh I know what your talking about. My experience with this happened on my trip back from Nevada. At first I thought my tranny went as this happened to me at the Venetian parking garage, but as I drove it I kept feeling it had to be something electrical. I thought either the fuse or relay that controlled the valve body had failed. Then as quick as it happened it fixed itself and didn't do it again till I was visiting a friend in Dallas. As luck would have it he is a motor head like me and had the scanner. A quick plug in told me exactly when my cam position sensor failed (actually it happened 3 times) and which one had to be replaced. A quick trip to get the part and back to his house for the easy install and it was fixed. If I remember correctly he did reset my ECU afterwards. With this website and all the other tools never panic when this happens and get the info. It will save you a ton.

Yes it does. Once the computer goes into fail safe it turns off injectors at a certain RPM. Basically I think all signals from all areas fail to reach the ECU. So you get the very hard start, hard shift and won't go over a certain RPM. I had to drive at 70mph for 20 miles on the Dallas interstate with it. Once you replace the faulty sensor and clear computer all signals resume and normal drive train operation is restored.
I see what your saying but when in fail safe mode it would not cause the tranny to bang into gears , the most common issue is the 3-2 shifts , everyone that has the same issue isnt running a cam sensor code.

Im trying to image what your talking about and not disagreeing but ive come across so many tranny issue with the same symptoms.

Most likely parts of your 3rd gear clutch band has been worn out , with some burn or metal flakeings that are in your valve body, the fluids now is back up that the line pressue gets jam up and sudden push thru very hard causing that JERK.

its very common with the 3-2 shifts.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:34 AM

I see what your saying but when in fail safe mode it would not cause the tranny to bang into gears , the most common issue is the 3-2 shifts , everyone that has the same issue isnt running a cam sensor code.

Im trying to image what your talking about and not disagreeing but ive come across so many tranny issue with the same symptoms.

Most likely parts of your 3rd gear clutch band has been worn out , with some burn or metal flakeings that are in your valve body, the fluids now is back up that the line pressue gets jam up and sudden push thru very hard causing that JERK.
Then how do you explain the fact that once I replaced the sensor the tranny went back to working normally?

Trust me, the hard start, banging into reverse and forward and slipping into high gear and not going over a certain RPM and speed is all a result of fail safe mode.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:36 PM

Then how do you explain the fact that once I replaced the sensor the tranny went back to working normally?

Trust me, the hard start, banging into reverse and forward and slipping into high gear and not going over a certain RPM and speed is all a result of fail safe mode.
fail safe will go because of a tripped code that will harm your motor.

if a pulley belt breaks , fail safe ,
CPS , TB sensors , or Cam sensors will go into fail safe mode.

A tranny slipping will not go into fail safe mode ,
How many miles is on your engine and tranny ?
How long ago did you change the part ?
is your 2004 ?

having the hard start and cam sensor go out will go hand and hand.
reverse bang and 3-2 hard bang shifts are result of the valve body.

Ive only dealt with 20 of them so far and its the same issue.

I have money that in about 6-8 months the tranny will start to act up again.

Ive been down that road already , I thought the tranny was perfectly fine until down the road.

it all depends on how many miles you drive , what miles do you have it on now ? and how hard you drive.

Tranny already showing signs of slipping tranny ,
You changing the cam sensor only solve the fail safe mode and hard start.

but again dont say I said so , im not here to argue with you , ive been here for a good 2 half years trying to figure out our 5ATs with Nissan Head Techs and Tranny shops.

Never have I encounter a cam sensor fix and tranny is fix.
Its fine now but evenuntally its going to let itself go.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:35 AM

waiting till monday to get the sensors from the dealership to change it...il update with changes or progress
Old 08-16-2009, 05:36 AM

ok now i understand the fail safe mode and feeling very relaxed about the fact my tranny is in good shape....or use-able condition
Old 08-16-2009, 05:37 AM

guys tell me something.....the sensors made the car go in the safe mode....why is that after i got my car towed back to my house, the next mourning it still had the same code..and the tranny was acting perfect. started of perfectly and ran goood...even right now i took it around my block and it ran fine with the same code still showing...
Old 08-16-2009, 07:23 AM

It has to be the sensor. Trannys don't just fail without warning. you will feel slipping with an auto before it goes. I had this happen with the same CSP sensor. Replace it. costs maybe 120. takes 5 minutes to replace. The jerking of the tranny is caused by bad shift timing which is directly related to shaft rpm, so this would be a normal issue if the CSP sensor was bad. If you don't have a CSP sensor bad and you are experiencing these harsh shifting paterns, then you are experiencing a 6th gen 5speed transmission period. They suck. Level 10 transmissions offer products to beef the tranny up and fix our problems. Repacking the tranny with better insides and getting a reworked valvebody is the solution. Ohh jerking can also be caused by bad motor mounts which are also pieces of junk and need to be replaced and have poly inserts to help with that. To sum this all up just replace the sensor. Don't waste 120 dollars for a diagnostic fee from nissan for a 5 minute job and the Org backing you. I have a post somewhere with pics and how to install the sensor let me see if I can find it.

Last edited by po8pimp; 08-16-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:26 AM

here is my post from one of my old threads.

so I went today and did everything in the service manual to clear the P0345 code which was pretty easy. I couldn't find really anything wrong so I went to Nissan and bought a new Cam Position Sensor for Bank 2. Before I installed it I checked all the resistance values and noticed there was a bit of a difference between the new and the old one, so I just replaced and cleared the codes. Then I went for a drive and did everything I could to break the damn car into two and well so far nothing. I really hope this was the problem. I talked with the service tech prior to leaving and he said they go bad sometimes due to oil getting inside them. He said the oil ends up shorting them out. From checking the old one I didn't see any short indications but I put the new one in anyway. Piece of mind knowing that was replaced and could have been the problem is good enough for me. Part number 23731-AL61A. Cost was $102.66 out the door. They had the part in stock which means that it must be a frequently replaced part. I had to special order a couple things for this car so far and to my surprise this one was there. If you experience the same thing I did with the car shutting off for no reason do the obvious checks and then I recommend checking these sensors if you can't figure it out. They are a PITA getting off. You have to push the green clip in and pull hard to get it to come off. Sounds easy but took me saying screw it I don't care if it breaks to get it off.

hope this helps
Old 08-16-2009, 07:56 AM

should i replace both the bank 1 and bank 2 sensors or just the one that is throwing the code?
Old 08-16-2009, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
http://www.boredmder.com/FSM/Nissan/Maxima/2004/ec.pdf
page 281 tells you how to diagnose what's wrong and fix that code.
can you please help me find the dam sensor...i cant find it...
Old 08-16-2009, 09:48 AM

Here is a side view of the locations. Kind of hard to make out so I colored them for you. They are in the center of each side of the block near the center of the Camshaft. One goes straight in the other is at an angle.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:00 PM

Old 08-16-2009, 12:02 PM

thats bank 2 sensor right?
Old 08-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

yes
Old 08-16-2009, 12:45 PM

Quick Reply: Tranmission Issues...need advice!!!