6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2005 Maxima Electrical/Instrument Cluster Problems

Old 09-22-2009, 12:45 PM

2005 Maxima Electrical/Instrument Cluster Problems

Hey guys,

Long time reader... Tried searching for an answer to this one...

This morning while I was driving to school, my instrument cluster just stopped working... I.E. Speedometer, odometer, fuel gauge, rpm's, even the blinkers (though these worked, just wouldn't get the clicking noise or the visual indicator on the instrument cluster). The odometer would show my mileage, but didn't change at all. The cluster lights weren't as bright during the day as they usually are. Also, the A/C - Heater system wouldn't turn on, cruise wouldn't work (kinda made sense though since the speedometer wasn't working).

Then this afternoon it started showing little signs of life on the way home, but didn't start working again. Then the next time I started it, everything worked again, but the ses light is on and the 'door open' indicator is on (even though no interior lights are on). Ses light maybe makes sense, but what about the door indicator and what the hell just happened earlier? Is my ECM going?...

As a background, a couple weeks ago my battery just up and died out of the blue with no indication that it was having any problems. Also, intermittently I would have starting problems where it would crank but not start. I would have to turn off the car, arm the alarm, disarm it and then start it again...

Any thoughts anyone has would be nice to know. TIA
Old 09-23-2009, 07:44 AM

Bump... Anyone with any ideas?
Old 09-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Slo- E

instrument cluster 04 max sl

i have 1 for sale if ur interested
Old 09-28-2009, 07:15 PM

I know some cars start to shut down various systems when battery power is getting low. Maybe you have an alternator issue or maybe one of your battery cables are corroded or loose. I would start there. Maybe one of the parts stores could check your alternator for you.

Just some thoughts to maybe get you crossing out some possibilities. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:05 AM

I just wish I could figure out how to get my cd player to work. lol
Old 09-29-2009, 08:08 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by mattpattberg
Bump... Anyone with any ideas?
Read here on how to remove the cluster and check the connection yourself..... http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ml#post6886926

Disconnect your battery if anything is displayed after. Like your door ajar or ses light. Reconnect maybe one hour later.

Last edited by SmokinMaxSE; 09-29-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

looking for 04 cluster

Originally Posted by figueroa1357
i have 1 for sale if ur interested

Hi,

I'm looking for 04 maxima cluster has from 95k to 100k

Thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 06:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

resolution?

Hey guys,

This morning while I was driving to school, my instrument cluster just stopped working... I.E. Speedometer, odometer, fuel gauge, rpm's, even the blinkers (though these worked, just wouldn't get the clicking noise or the visual indicator on the instrument cluster). The odometer would show my mileage, but didn't change at all. The cluster lights weren't as bright during the day as they usually are. Also, the A/C - Heater system wouldn't turn on, cruise wouldn't work (kinda made sense though since the speedometer wasn't working).

Then this afternoon it started showing little signs of life on the way home, but didn't start working again. Then the next time I started it, everything worked again, but the ses light is on and the 'door open' indicator is on (even though no interior lights are on). Ses light maybe makes sense, but what about the door indicator and what the hell just happened earlier? Is my ECM going?...

As a background, a couple weeks ago my battery just up and died out of the blue with no indication that it was having any problems. Also, intermittently I would have starting problems where it would crank but not start. I would have to turn off the car, arm the alarm, disarm it and then start it again...

Any luck on getting this problem fixed?
I am having the exact same problem.
I will start by tearing off radio etc and checking all connections but thought id ask.
Thanks
vp
Old 12-12-2010, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by peanstein
Any luck on getting this problem fixed?
I am having the exact same problem.
I will start by tearing off radio etc and checking all connections but thought id ask.
Thanks
vp
No solutions, but it's been fine since... I'm still at a loss as to what it was. I figure the ecm was resetting or something.

I took the cluster out, and all connections on the back were fine. The door ajar light stays on, but other than that everything is back to normal. WEIRD.

Is yours still doing it right now? Mine lasted a day and that's it.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

yup

No solutions, but it's been fine since... I'm still at a loss as to what it was. I figure the ecm was resetting or something.

I took the cluster out, and all connections on the back were fine. The door ajar light stays on, but other than that everything is back to normal. WEIRD.

Is yours still doing it right now? Mine lasted a day and that's it.
I just bought this car yesterday and this was one of the issues.
The guy said it happened about 3 weeks ago and has not corrected itself.
I am pulling everything now and cleaning all the contacts with a de-ox it type cleaner.
ill keep you posted.
Did you take the gage cluster off too or just the radio section?
Thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bad ECU!!

Update: not ECU but the A/C Amp.
Lincoln was the culprit.
Here are some pics of the damage.
At first i thought it was a few transistors and resistors that I would replace but then i flipped it over and saw that the IC had bit it hard. you cant see from the pic but the top of the IC has heat damage probably from being overdriven with multpile shorts caused by the darn penny.

i saw this and wanted to get opinions from other forum users.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...item20b2175eb8

Are all these ECU's compatible? or are they specific to the options installed?

here are pics:

Last edited by peanstein; 12-15-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cluster Problem Solved!!

I ordered the Unified Meter and A/C Amp PN# 277607Y000, installed it and everything worked like a charm.
If you place pennies or dimes in front of the display BEWARE!! if they fall in between the plastic there is a slit in the A/C Amp meter made spicifically for these coins to fall in there.
Why else would there be there right?
I placed the one back in and placed a slit of tape in between so no other coins would slide in.
the only reason i can think of it being in there is as a breather whole but seriously doubt it?

Anyways, mattpattberg, go back in there and take the white box out thats under the radio, take the 5 small screws off and make sure you dont have a coind or something in there. I was lucky and got it for $80 on ebay(it even worked). Stealer wanted $280 for it.
Now off to see why the radio has no output.Everything on the radio works fine with that exception. The car was water damaged so i suspect that to have tkaen out the audio.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by peanstein
I ordered the Unified Meter and A/C Amp PN# 277607Y000, installed it and everything worked like a charm.
If you place pennies or dimes in front of the display BEWARE!! if they fall in between the plastic there is a slit in the A/C Amp meter made spicifically for these coins to fall in there.
Why else would there be there right?
I placed the one back in and placed a slit of tape in between so no other coins would slide in.
the only reason i can think of it being in there is as a breather whole but seriously doubt it?

Anyways, mattpattberg, go back in there and take the white box out thats under the radio, take the 5 small screws off and make sure you dont have a coind or something in there. I was lucky and got it for $80 on ebay(it even worked). Stealer wanted $280 for it.
Now off to see why the radio has no output.Everything on the radio works fine with that exception. The car was water damaged so i suspect that to have tkaen out the audio.
Great to know man. Thanks. I will check it out when I get a chance to. I'm glad everything worked out for you!

Enjoy!
Old 09-05-2011, 03:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys,

Old 09-05-2011, 04:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

its funny 2 say this but its ur ac control amp module.it behind the radio and under the display screen..what happens u or someone placed money on the display part and coins felled inside the module..if ur car still running u might b n luck by taking it out b4 u pay $500 from the dealer...and the bad thing abt this nissan no abt this problem...lok it up urself...so gluck
Old 11-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Door Ajar Light On- Guages Wierd Flickering

It's your ac amplifier and there are coins or paper clips inside the AC amplifier. Mine had three pennies in it. The car just went into shock. It made the ECM think the car was being stolen and it would not crank. I found a used AC amplifier on ebay motors for $129 plugged it in; turned key, car spasmed, horn honked lights blinked and started right up and after a few seconds figured itself out and ran just fine. This is the worst designed part in engineering history. Why there is a slot in the top of the AC Amp case big enough for a penny or dime to fall thru right under the LCD is asinine. That engineer who designed it should be drug down the road behind a Maxima.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

fixed ecm issue but...

i had this issue happen to me yesterday, and thanks to this forum i found the cause of my issue and was able to find a part locally at a junk yard and fix it. the only thing im having issues with now is the sunroof. the up button which is just supposed to open the vent actually moves the roof in increments from closed to vent to all the way open and then back the other way. the slider that is supposed to be used to open it half way or all the way no longer works. any clues on what could have caused this to happen?
Old 07-03-2012, 11:27 AM

I had a similar issue with my 02 altima. The positive battery cable was the issue. I replaced the battery and the alternator and nothing changed with my system. Apparently some battery acid was slowly corroding my power cabling.

Replacing the positive power cabling from the alternator to the battery fixed the issue, and I didn't have another issue with the power.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks!!!

This thread saved me $$$. Had the same problem develop a week ago. No gauges working, AC wouldn't turn on, Slip, TCS off, ABS all on, no transmission indicator. Car would start and drive but wouldn't shift. Took to a dealership late Friday to have diagnostic done Saturday.

Studied repair manual that night, google searched for unified meter and AC Amp and found this thread. Additional searches found a Nissan Service Bulletin from 2007 that described the problem to a T. Used SmokinMaxSE's link to dash disassembly to see how to get to get to unified meter. Cancelled diagnostic, went to dealership and removed unified meter and ac amp, bought one for $176 at another dealer (couldn't find on at local salvage), installed (all in dealership parking lot) and everything worked. When removing, a quarter was in the slot but was too big. Took apart unified meter and a dime was the culprit. On the new unit, out of the box there is a piece of tape over the slot.

Thanks to all who posted experiences in the thread with special thanks to peanstein for posting resolution and SmokinMaxSE for link to dash dissassembly!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 11:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2005 nissan maxima instrument cluster problems

Hey guys,

I just got exactly the same problem.Start driving home from work on flat road -slowly. All instrument panel become non-working.Magically I drove home (~25+ miles) without any incidents.. but in the morning engine did not start.

Nissan Dealer ask $90 to just look at it. Then 1 hr later they said $630 (6 hour labor) to dissasemble instrument panel and give me a verdict...after that they tell me what is the total -depends ho many chips they have to replace.
On top of this the Nissan dealer suggested that Nissan flow-chart gives 12 hours for this work ...and so...they give me 50% discount in labor hours.

I found another autoservice that has training to do this and their labor is only $60 or less.

I bet there are other people who expereienced the same problem of sudden instrument panel failure. BTW: car was operational, panel was backlit and directional and main lights were working -just all panel meters went dead (fuel meter, water temperature, taxometer,speedometer, mileage general, local mileage, transmission position. Few warning lights came out : Breaks, air, TSC tracking etc- don't remember all lights that showed on the right side)
Old 01-20-2017, 04:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Maxima_2005er
I just got exactly the same problem.Start driving home from work on flat road -slowly. All instrument panel become non-working.Magically I drove home (~25+ miles) without any incidents.. but in the morning engine did not start.

Nissan Dealer ask $90 to just look at it. Then 1 hr later they said $630 (6 hour labor) to dissasemble instrument panel and give me a verdict...after that they tell me what is the total -depends ho many chips they have to replace.
On top of this the Nissan dealer suggested that Nissan flow-chart gives 12 hours for this work ...and so...they give me 50% discount in labor hours.

I found another autoservice that has training to do this and their labor is only $60 or less.

I bet there are other people who expereienced the same problem of sudden instrument panel failure. BTW: car was operational, panel was backlit and directional and main lights were working -just all panel meters went dead (fuel meter, water temperature, taxometer,speedometer, mileage general, local mileage, transmission position. Few warning lights came out : Breaks, air, TSC tracking etc- don't remember all lights that showed on the right side)
Hey, my Nissan maxima 05 did the exact same thing today but it's running. did you find the exact problem?