6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Is my Berk intake missing parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:43 PM

Is my Berk intake missing parts?

I bought a Berk intake from another member, and I believe it may be missing some pieces.

Looking at the pics on Berk's website, it appears that there should be a two rubber hoses that attach the mid pipe to the throttle body and the MAF housing.

Here is what I got. Am I missing two hoses or any other parts? For those of you who have purchased this intake - what did your kit come with?

Old 11-23-2009, 08:28 PM

Hmmm... is that for your '04? Is it supposed to connect to the throttle body or use some of the existing plastic of the stock intake?

That sure doesn't look like an intake for a 6th Gen...
Old 11-23-2009, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
Hmmm... is that for your '04? Is it supposed to connect to the throttle body or use some of the existing plastic of the stock intake?

That sure doesn't look like an intake for a 6th Gen...
Looking at the picture on Berk's site it appears that the mid pipe attaches between the throttle body and the MAF housing via some type of tubing. The L pipe then goes from the MAF housing to the filter.

I was able to attach the L bracket to the MAF housing and utilize the new filter, but I can't attach the mid pipe as I assume I'm missing parts.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:00 PM

Hmm... you're probably just missing the rubber ring that's clamped around the tubing (just to the left of the MAF section in that pic), and another rubber ring by the throttle body. Those should be easy enough to find somewhere.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:01 AM

autozone or any parts store have those couplers and for under 20 bucks.
you are missing the rubber couplers it looks like and you can reuse the rubber hose from the stock air box
Old 11-25-2009, 08:03 AM
*moderator*

Yup, like you just need those 2 things, tubing/clamps. Wow it has been so long it seems (over 5 years) since I met up with Brian to do the initial test fitting for that intake. Still have mine running strong today!!
Old 11-30-2009, 06:31 PM

Yep, definitely missing the two pieces of tubing and four hose clamps. Certainly a deal gone bad from another org member who won't return my emails or phone calls.

I have heard nothing but the best stuff about Berk and their customer service. I had actually swapped a few emails with them before discovering this issue when deciding which filter to buy. (org member didn't even include the right filter!)

However I did have a recent experience that has made me question my opinion of Berk. I'm sure its very isolated as I've read nothing but great things about them.

I called Berk on the 24th upon realizing that I needed these couplers. They were very friendly and advised me that they were available for only $10 each. He did recommend that I purchase his hose clamps as they are less likely to rust, but I decided just to buy some at my local hardware store. I gave him my credit card and shipping info, and the transaction was completed.

A few minutes later I realized I was an idiot and should just go get them at my local Autozone as Hamchan suggested. Sure enough, Autozone had them in stock and they were even a couple of bucks cheaper.

I decided to see if I could cancel my order with Berk. If not...no big deal. But I assumed that since I had just called, it wouldn't be a big deal to cancel the shipment. It was almost 30 minutes exactly when I called back, and, the guy stated that he believed he had already sent somebody to the post office to send my package. I asked if he could contact him and ask him not to ship my order. If he couldn't - no big deal. I had to assume that one wouldn't go to the post office just to deliver one $20 package - certainly they were shipping out all of their orders from that day.

A few minutes later - around 6:37 CST I rec'd a call back stating that the guy had gone home from delivering the package at 4:30. Assuming they ship from their California facility, that would be 6:30 CST...meaning that in 30 minute from the time I had called the person had left Berk, gone to the post office, and gone to their house. The caller was friendly enough to offer a return, but stated that there would be a restocking fee and no refund on the shipping.

Good enough for me - although it seemed odd that they took my order and went straight to the post office. I didn't need the parts today, so I could wait a week. And the difference was only about $10, so I wasn't too worried about the money. I wondered for a second if a story had been fabricated so that Berk wouldn't have to mess with a refund, but I assumed that couldn't be the case based on all the great feedback I've read on the org.

But the strangest thing happened today......I rec'd notification from the post office that they rec'd shipping info from Berk on 11/30/09. What happened to dropping off my shipment six days ago?

Again......I'm sure my situation is an isolated one. A few extra days and $10 isn't going to ruin my day. But it certainly makes me wonder about the integrity of Berk...at least for this transaction.

Just thought I'd share my experience.....I know I like to hear from others when I'm making purchasing decisions.