6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Wheel Spacers what size?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:17 PM

Wheel Spacers what size?

I wanted to install some wheel spacers, what size would you all recommend. I am staying with my stock 07 18inch wheels and am lowered. I like the fact that the 15mm ones from both Eibach and H&R don't require the removal of the studs but not sure if the 15mm is going to be too much and cause rubbing, should I just go with the 5mm or 10mm I want the tires to sit nice and flush with the fenders. Any feedback would be great.

------------
07 Maxima SE --Greddy SE catback, K&N Intake, Cmod Grill, G2 Red Caliper paint, Eibach/H&R lowering springs.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:45 PM

What do you mean by flush? Do you mean perfectly tucked or lined up with the outer fender? I had 15mm spacers with the stock 2006 18's and was perfectly fine. I'm lowered on Progress springs and KYB's, not sure how low you are compared to me.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:03 PM

joecurr, I mean lined up with the outer fender. I am more worried about rubbing in the rear I am lowered 1.3inch with H&R. The front is 2.0inch with Eibach.

------------
07 Maxima SE --Greddy SE catback, K&N Intake, Cmod Grill, G2 Red Caliper paint, Eibach/H&R lowering springs.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by TarmacSL1
I wanted to install some wheel spacers, what size would you all recommend. I am staying with my stock 07 18inch wheels and am lowered. I like the fact that the 15mm ones from both Eibach and H&R don't require the removal of the studs but not sure if the 15mm is going to be too much and cause rubbing, should I just go with the 5mm or 10mm I want the tires to sit nice and flush with the fenders. Any feedback would be great.

------------
I'm lowered, with 18" wheels, and I have Eibach 5mm spacers all around if you want to get an idea of the 5mm look. IMO 10-15mm will line it up flush with the fender (I'd go 10mm). You may risk some rubbing if hauling a full car load and hitting a bump. I also used the new studs that came with the spacer kit...

Old 03-04-2010, 09:28 PM

If you are trying to make the wheel flush with the outer fender, then I recommend 15mm for the front and at least 20mm for the rear. I tried 10mm front and 15mm rear with my 20x8.5" +42 wheels and I'm not satisfied, although the wheels looked evenly spaced. I moved the 15mm spacer to the front and felt the front looked a lot better, which meant the rear would need a larger spacer as well.

15mm spacers would probably be the max you could go in the rear without modifications. With my 20x8.5" wheels, I was rubbing, with the 18x8" stocks I wasn't. I trimmed the carpeted fender liner where it sticks out (look where the rear bumper mounts to the rear fender) and haven't had problems since. I'd like to try 20mm spacers in the rear, but it'd be too much of a hassle right now.

Chern: Your 5mm spacers are a little deceiving since you have wider tires (and maybe a lower offset?). If he's using the stock sizes, it won't look as flush as yours does. But for your wheels and tires, 5mm looks perfect.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:59 AM

Chern: Thanks for the pics that's the look I want. And to both of you thanks for the advice. What I might do this weekend is go get some cheap 5 & 10mm spacers from the local wheel shop and put them on to see how much clearance I get in the back. I know I won't be able to tighten the lugs with the 10mm but it will give me an idea of how it will sit before I purchase the more expensive ones, plus it might also tell me if I can go up to the 15mm. Again Thanks.

------------
Old 03-05-2010, 02:15 PM

What you should do is get a piece of string and a small weight. Tie the weight to the end of the string and then tape the other side of the string to the outside part of the fender. After it stops moving, measure the distance from your wheel to the string. That should give you a really good idea of what kind of spacer to get.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:53 PM

Chern: Thanks for the pics that's the look I want. And to both of you thanks for the advice. What I might do this weekend is go get some cheap 5 & 10mm spacers from the local wheel shop and put them on to see how much clearance I get in the back. I know I won't be able to tighten the lugs with the 10mm but it will give me an idea of how it will sit before I purchase the more expensive ones, plus it might also tell me if I can go up to the 15mm. Again Thanks.

------------
No problem and good luck...
Old 03-05-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by joecurr
Chern: Your 5mm spacers are a little deceiving since you have wider tires (and maybe a lower offset?). If he's using the stock sizes, it won't look as flush as yours does. But for your wheels and tires, 5mm looks perfect.

Agree, that's why I recommended the 10-15mm spacers...
Old 03-05-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Agree, that's why I recommended the 10-15mm spacers...
Yeah, I'm sure you knew that, it was more directed towards others who only think about spacer width and overlook the specs of the wheels and tires. What is the offset of your wheels BTW?
Old 03-05-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by joecurr
Yeah, I'm sure you knew that, it was more directed towards others who only think about spacer width and overlook the specs of the wheels and tires. What is the offset of your wheels BTW?

Your point is totally valid and I should have mentioned it regardless.

Last edited by chernmax; 03-05-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:56 AM

Took some mesurements and it looks like I will be able to do the 15mm spacers. I have about 1in of clearance between the top of the tire and fender lip. If I have rubbing I can always install the Eibachs in the rear to give me a little more room. I have one more question with the 15mm version that does not require you to remove the old studs, will the stock 18's have enough clearance to bolt up?

------------
Old 03-10-2010, 08:04 AM

I would remove the old studs and put new longer ones in.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:03 AM

Shift Max --They are 15mm versions that bolt to the exsisting studs then provide a new set of studs that are built into the spacer (H&R DRM Series). My question is with this version there will be some lengh of the original stud that sits out further than the spacers flat surface. They say the wheels must have enough clearance to accept the protruding studs so the rim sits flush with the spacer. So does the OEM 07 18's have enough space. I would like to use these as its much easier to just bolt these up and go and not have to remove the old studs and install new longer ones.

------------
Old 03-10-2010, 12:12 PM

Shift Max --They are 15mm versions that bolt to the exsisting studs then provide a new set of studs that are built into the spacer (H&R DRM Series). My question is with this version there will be some lengh of the original stud that sits out further than the spacers flat surface. They say the wheels must have enough clearance to accept the protruding studs so the rim sits flush with the spacer. So does the OEM 07 18's have enough space. I would like to use these as its much easier to just bolt these up and go and not have to remove the old studs and install new longer ones.

------------
With 15mm spacers, you'll limit most if not all the remaining threads left that would hold your lug nut/rim safely on and could pose a danger of your wheel flying off under extreme conditions like turning to avoid hitting something quickly! Bottom line the more teeth on a lug nut the better, but it will change the scope of the job with now having to remove the brake rotors to install the new threads. Just an FYI!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:35 PM

Does anyone possibly have pics of the 15mm spacers down the side of the car with the 06 stock 18" rims? That would be great - searched and saw other rims, but not these stock 18's (maybe I didn't search hard enough...)
Old 03-10-2010, 01:43 PM

This is an example of what I am asking regarding the OEM wheels, the H&R DRM 15mm Spacers are similar to these:

http://www.ichibausa.com/15albowhsp6.html

------------
Old 03-10-2010, 02:26 PM

This is an example of what I am asking regarding the OEM wheels, the H&R DRM 15mm Spacers are similar to these:

http://www.ichibausa.com/15albowhsp6.html

------------

Those spacers look nice, funny how they show the MSRP is $135.00 and then under it the Sale Price is $135.00...
Old 03-10-2010, 04:40 PM

loool
Old 03-10-2010, 09:59 PM

Dug these up (sorry, I was too lazy to post them up before).

Stock wheels and tires with 10mm spacers in the front and 15mm spacers in the rear. I used H&R DRS spacers (the ones with the longer studs). The shadows on the tires are a little deceiving since the front has a bigger gap between the fender than the rear height-wise, but by staggering the spacers the wheel spacing is more even front to back. If I did it again, I would still stagger the spacers, but I'd do 15mm fronts and 20/25mm rears. Those rears might require more modification to the rear fenders than I have right now, or maybe even a slight raise. Hope those help you guys.

P.S. Staring at those pics, I can't even imagine what the car used to look like without the spacers!
Old 03-11-2010, 05:20 AM

Thanks Joecurr!