6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Sensor for expired registration

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sensor for expired registration

I hope I'm not paranoid but I have had a couple of experiences that lead me to believe that the 6th Gen Maxima emits a signal if the registration has expired. My registration expired in November. Last week, I was pulling up to a red light and a motorcycle cop was about 75 feet off to the side of the road, slightly in front of me. I went by him and he pulled out immediately and began tracking me. He was several cars behind me. I pulled over into a pizza joint, and he pulled behind me with his red lights going and said my reg was expired. There is NO WAY he could have known unless he had some kind of device which sensed the car was expired, or that he saw it was expired after he pulled me over. He let me off with a warning. This weekend, I went by a highway patrol who was on teh opposite side of the road. I was with a stream of cars. He passed all the cars and got behind me and pulled me over for the same thing plus tinted windows, even though my windows were rolled down at the time.

My question is: Does the 6th Gen Maxima have a device installed that lets police know whether registration is paid or not? Yes I know I should have paid the reg, but thats not the issue.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:58 PM

i think ur delusional bud..
Old 03-23-2010, 06:11 PM

LOL yeah, theres no way any on-board system could know if u paid ur reg or not, my assumption would be just that they were gonna get you for the tint anyway, and once they ran ur plate they saw ur reg was expired
Old 03-23-2010, 06:11 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by joker07x
i think ur delusional bud..

Their out to get you ! But seriously, this highway Ipass we have or the little box that goes on the window. If it wasn't for privacy act, state could use that for anything. I heard a story of a driver recieving a ticket by mail. Reason, due to the speed limit Ipass or whatever they call it said its no way he could have got from one toll to the next within that time frame at speed limit !
Old 03-23-2010, 07:03 PM

yes it came as an option on the SL's its a reg.exp sensor and i think for a few bucks more you get the inspection sensor.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:18 PM

It could be that he ran your plates, and the registration came up as expired or something along those lines.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Old 03-23-2010, 07:23 PM
i SeE what you did therE

lay off the sauce man....
Old 03-23-2010, 07:23 PM

Really? You created a thread asking this?? The cops probably stopped you because you aren't allowed to drive the (riced out) Batmobile on the street.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:26 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally Posted by viperboy
Really? You created a thread asking this?? The cops probably stopped you because you aren't allowed to drive the (riced out) Batmobile on the street.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:28 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Old 03-23-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
I was just about to post this thread on your visitor wall
Old 03-23-2010, 08:00 PM

too far?lol
Old 03-23-2010, 08:23 PM

Old 03-23-2010, 08:36 PM

Arent you in the wrong section of the forum?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by I VIK I
Arent you in the wrong section of the forum?
Nope, I read any thread in any section of the forum that I feel like. Thanks for your concern though hunny
Old 03-23-2010, 08:52 PM

can u spell P A R A N O I D
Old 03-23-2010, 08:56 PM
SuPeRmOd

your ride is obviously modified. it attract police attention along with everyone else admiring it. When they follow they usually run plates at random for who knows how many reasons and then it comes up expired.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
your ride is obviously modified. it attract police attention along with everyone else admiring it. When they follow they usually run plates at random for who knows how many reasons and then it comes up expired.
yup
Old 03-23-2010, 10:38 PM

kinda depends what state are you at or basically where are your stickers located... i think registration stickers are made that the color of the previous year is noticeably different from the current year... thats why its easy to see from a good distance...
Old 03-24-2010, 12:39 AM

In both instances it was IMPOSSIBLE to tell if my plates were expired at the time they appeared to be tracking me. The first instance the cop was way too far away and in the second instance he was on other side of road and when i got close to him he turned his signal on to make his u turn. The first cop was not any where near me when he pulled behind me. I have heard about sensors that cops have for smog violations. Isnt there a way for the ecu to radiate the bar code (its over by the vin number). I have heard some
things regarding this
Old 03-24-2010, 01:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got pulled over once for an out of date inspection, it was on a 4 lane divided highway and the cop was coming from the other direction. Both of us were doing at least the 55. And again it was divided, so there was a bit of distance between us, and he still could see that I had a 4 on the sticker that should've been a 5. Plus I was in a POS 93 camry, not the "(riced out) batmobile", and I was in with a couple of other cars like you were too. I was surprised that he got me, I was thought I was safe like a fish in a school. Sometimes the cops just have eagle eyes, But yeah I think they honed in on you for the tint, I used to have 5% all the way around and got a ****load of tickets for it. I had at least 3 of them come up to the car and say "the old roll down all 4 windows trick again, huh?" I guess you can't roll down the back glass. Love the car btw
Old 03-24-2010, 05:08 AM

cops can run plates in seconds plus your car isn't exactly " discrete".
Old 03-24-2010, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
Thats my guess he must have got your plate number
Old 03-24-2010, 05:14 AM

To answer your question of "Does the 6th Gen Maxima have a device installed that lets police know whether registration is paid or not?" The answer is no. Reasons being is people in the age category that own 6th gen maximas know to pay their registration on time. So there is no point.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by morteljc
kinda depends what state are you at or basically where are your stickers located... i think registration stickers are made that the color of the previous year is noticeably different from the current year... thats why its easy to see from a good distance...
100% The color difference is a big give away.

Plus your car stands out, looks like something someone might steal. Cops always follow our Mustang for a while when they see it.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:20 AM

I'm just going to throw this out there buuuuuuuuut.....

I'm guessing that you have an aftermarket exhaust system, maybe even a sound system, as well as a list of other aftermarket upgrades with window tint that's probably too dark to be legal. Cops look for cars like yours to toy with because they feel that you think you are doing illegal stuff when they aren't looking... It's a sad, sad truth my friend but if you have a car that stands out and are part of the aftermarket scene, they will spot you out and keep tabs on you. Your easy to spot on other occasions.

But then again... what do I know
Old 03-24-2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by grep
Sometimes the cops just have eagle eyes,
In middle school, one of my teacher said his friend, a cop, got laser eye surgery, and got 20/15 vision. He said most of the law enforcements who do usually get 20/15 or better...
Old 03-24-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by aznstormin
In middle school, one of my teacher said his friend, a cop, got laser eye surgery, and got 20/15 vision. He said most of the law enforcements who do usually get 20/15 or better...

Don't F' with Robocops!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:50 AM

*puts on aluminum foil hat*
Old 03-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

How would that even work? It's not like the car would connect to the 'net and check for you. It's pretty simple to look at the color of the sticker on your plate and know it's expired.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Cops are trained to spot illegal cars on the road, it's part of their job. HELLO...
Don't drive through Elmwood Park, NJ with expired tags, my buddy Dave WILL GET YOU!
Old 03-24-2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
In both instances it was IMPOSSIBLE to tell if my plates were expired at the time they appeared to be tracking me. The first instance the cop was way too far away and in the second instance he was on other side of road and when i got close to him he turned his signal on to make his u turn. The first cop was not any where near me when he pulled behind me. I have heard about sensors that cops have for smog violations. Isnt there a way for the ecu to radiate the bar code (its over by the vin number). I have heard some
things regarding this

Big Brother is watching you Deus
Old 03-24-2010, 05:29 PM

The stickers have chips, or barcodes on them that let them know if the sticker is expired. I got pulled over for my inspection sticker, and i was baffled as to how he could tell, but I looked at the sticker and low and behold there is a barcode on them.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:49 PM

Police in my state, NY, have a gun they point at your plates, it tells them everything about your registration and inspection in a few seconds.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:08 AM

Deus, your partly right,
My department recently got two impalas outfitted with MTR(mobile tag readers). They are mounted on the trunk of the vehicle and are constatnly on. The sensors emit 12 feet out and 15 feet in front of the vehicle in a cone shape pattern. Im not sure of the specifics but the sensors somehow read the license plate then automatically run the registation. It then alearts us if the registration is suspended,canceled, whatever. It also runs the registered owner of the vehicle and alerts us if he/she is wanted, as well as your driving status (suspended/revoked). pretty cool device for us cops, not so much for everyone else i guess.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:26 AM

12-15 feet, that's not a very big spread, barely a car length!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:35 AM
KC's FINEST

wow...
Old 03-25-2010, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by grayte199
It then alearts us if the registration is suspended,canceled, whatever. It also runs the registered owner of the vehicle and alerts us if he/she is wanted, as well as your driving status (suspended/revoked).
That's kinda cool, yeah. I guess it's probably used for when you pull someone over, the information can come up quicker (you don't have to manually call it in or type it in)? Great that technology is making it easier and safer for cops.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:58 AM
Former Sponsor

well if your going to drive a out of date batmobile then please pay your registration and tin foil aliance hat membership as well for thinking the good people in the nissan engineering rigged the car with a " special king of low jack for registration " lmao this has to be posted as a sticky for the most DAQ's. Dumb a$$ questions

Quick Reply: Sensor for expired registration