6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Help me diagnose a noise!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:28 PM

Help me diagnose a noise!

It's been driving me bonkers!

My 2005 SE makes a kind of a crunching noise when I go over a bump.

I have greased every moving part in the suspension I could, but that didn't cure it, and in fact doesn't even sound like where the problem is.

It almost sounds like it is in the bumper or even the trunk.

Any clues?

It has an after market anti-sway bar but everything else is stock on the suspension. About 70K total miles.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:19 PM

I have it too. I checked the trunk lid, the rear deck, muffler hangers and the rear shocks to see if any bolts were missing. The only thing I found was that the rear sway bar links had a very small amount of play in them. I may try to replace those with some new Moog endlinks and see what that does.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 07 does the same thing on the front
A rubbing noise or something loose , sounds like a card in bicycle spoke
Checked the tire for rubbing - its not
checked the halfshafts-not there,
checked the Strut nuts -All Tight
...bumps or dips the the road, even at low speed rolling off my driveway
It used to be only the pass front now its both

Ive read post that the front struts go bad fairly quickly like 50k mi.
IDK
Old 04-28-2010, 06:38 PM

You could be right about the end links, but man, I wouldn't think they would make that much noise.

I've tried everything else though so maybe I'll inspect mine this weekend.

Please post back to this thread if you solve it.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:00 PM

On the parcel shelf in the back, Nissan didn't put the right amount of padding between the shelf and the metal it rests on, and mine does the same. Also, if the bass is too high w/ the Bose speakers in the back it makes a terrible noise, could be that problem, came across a TSB for it a while back.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:48 AM

I've noticed the same thing after I added my FSTB. I've inspected my FSTB and the underside of the hood and you can see where they hit each other. That might be the cause for the sounds you guys are hearing. Keep everyone posted. I've also got Racingline F/R endlinks and those don't make any noise.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by cfr94
I've noticed the same thing after I added my FSTB. I've inspected my FSTB and the underside of the hood and you can see where they hit each other. That might be the cause for the sounds you guys are hearing. Keep everyone posted. I've also got Racingline F/R endlinks and those don't make any noise.
In my case it is a rear anti-sway bar installation that I THINK may have contributed to it but can't say for sure.

Guess I'll start tearing the back apart one of these days...that noise is driving me nuts!
Old 05-01-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by darrinps
In my case it is a rear anti-sway bar installation that I THINK may have contributed to it but can't say for sure.

Guess I'll start tearing the back apart one of these days...that noise is driving me nuts!
Not insulting your mechanical skills because I have never met you however did you possibly install the rear ASB backwards? Did you install it on a lift / jack stands so the rear wheels were hanging free and then once you lowered the car down, the weight put the torque / tension on the bar like it is supposed to. Did you replace your gromments also? Are they torqued down also? Just tryin to help.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by cfr94
Not insulting your mechanical skills because I have never met you however did you possibly install the rear ASB backwards? Did you install it on a lift / jack stands so the rear wheels were hanging free and then once you lowered the car down, the weight put the torque / tension on the bar like it is supposed to. Did you replace your gromments also? Are they torqued down also? Just tryin to help.
It was fine the first year or two it was on so I THINK it is on correctly. I suppose I could take a photo and post it here to make sure it is as it is supposed to be.

Yes, the car was jacked up, the bar installed, then the car lowered.

I believe the grommets were the stock ones...but it has been so long (at least four years) I cannot recall.

Anyone have a pic of what the install is supposed to look like? Either that, or tell me if the end is pointing down or up?
Old 05-03-2010, 06:11 PM

Im not sure if I have the same issue as everyone else, but when I go over medium size intersections, I hear a clunk on the driver side. Took it to the dealer and of course they could not duplicate the clunk. What in the heck is this sound cause its pissing me off. My Max is a 2005 with 123k and she has been good til now. She's creaking and moaning now. She needs First Aid quickly
Old 05-03-2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Talon05
Im not sure if I have the same issue as everyone else, but when I go over medium size intersections, I hear a clunk on the driver side. Took it to the dealer and of course they could not duplicate the clunk. What in the heck is this sound cause its pissing me off. My Max is a 2005 with 123k and she has been good til now. She's creaking and moaning now. She needs First Aid quickly
Well look who decided to grace the org with his presence. LOL. What's up A

The sound is old age....like yourself. You should be used to the creaks and moans....HAHAHA. But it might be the actual compression grommet on the shock itself has dry rotted and needs to be replaced. It's the hard not so much poly-urethane bushing that you can't see unless you pull the shock / spring assembly out.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:12 AM

Thanks J. I will have to check it out this weekend
Old 05-11-2010, 05:11 AM

Problem solved!

No more squeak/crunch noise for me!

I spent an hour and a half this past weekend under the car. Unbolted the bushing mounts from the RSB and greased them well...inside and out, then proceeded to grease every moving component I could see, then shot the big rubber mounts with WD-40.

Not sure which of these did the trick but as of now no more noise even when I go over a speed bump!