6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

No more $%#*&# chrome roof strips!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:12 PM

When I did mine, I removed the bolts for the rear section (on the side of the rear window) and popped off the trim.

The piece that goes from the bottom of the windshield to the top of the rear window has a small piece right at the rear the slides out. Then the entire trim piece needs to slide back then it will simply lift out. Sometimes you can push it by hand to slide it back, other times it needs to be "helped" a bit more and pried on from the lower windshield area. Just be VERY carefull and go slow!

I spray painted mine and they look like chit.

How is the tape holding up?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:09 AM

Forget about removing the Roof Strips just Plasti Dip them right on the car, the beat $6 I ever spent. I also did the burger and Stock Grill but decided to keep my Cmod instead.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:27 AM

I'll be installing B@t's vinly stips today over my chrome. Does anyone have any tips for me?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by officerfrasher
I'll be installing B@t's vinly stips today over my chrome. Does anyone have any tips for me?

Make sure the stips are CLEAN! Clean them again to be sure. Then clean them again. Did I mention you should clean the strips first?
Old 04-19-2011, 02:33 PM

Well, I got the eyelids on but no roof strips. The vinyl didn't want to stick to them for some reason. Has anyone else actually done the vinyl on the roof strips? I'm just wondering what I might have done wrong.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:00 PM

I just did my own chrome pieces with blackout tape. Came out like 7/10. I have a couple of bubbles, I ran out of blackout tape and will buy some tomorrow to complete it. Not bad. I would do well to post pics this weekend.

TarmacSL1, I like the way you did your chrome piece with the plastidip. Can you tell me how well to do it without plastidipping the whole of my roof, lol? How did you protect the other surfaces from getting plastidip on them?

Officerfrasher, I see you already installed your blackout tape on your chrome. How is it holding up? I like mine. Really nice.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima
Officerfrasher, I see you already installed your blackout tape on your chrome. How is it holding up? I like mine. Really nice.
So far, so good. It's been a little less than a week but no problems so far. I have a few bubbles too. The first side was learning how to do it. The other side turned out pretty good. Anthing is better than that dang faded chrome!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:48 AM

I just did my own chrome pieces with blackout tape. Came out like 7/10. I have a couple of bubbles, I ran out of blackout tape and will buy some tomorrow to complete it. Not bad. I would do well to post pics this weekend.

TarmacSL1, I like the way you did your chrome piece with the plastidip. Can you tell me how well to do it without plastidipping the whole of my roof, lol? How did you protect the other surfaces from getting plastidip on them?

I would assume you just need to cover and tape everything. I am going to give a try within the next week I will let you know how it goes.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:19 AM

I used newspaper and painters tape to cover the area along the strips to avoid over spray on the car and glass (should have taken pictures at this stage). But don't use the tape as your cut line..because when you go to peel it back it will also peel off the plasti dip. So place the tape say 1/4 inch from the strips. I did 4 coats with about 20min dry time between coats. Then remove the taped area and peel off any excess that got on the body of the car. Its that easy.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:22 AM

Hey TarmacSL1, nice job on the blacked out strips. Ill b trying the plasti dip on mine very soon. I was also thinking about doing the stock grille also and maybe the burger on the back, can u post some pics of your grille and burger?
Old 04-29-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by NYCMAXIMA
Hey TarmacSL1, nice job on the blacked out strips. Ill b trying the plasti dip on mine very soon. I was also thinking about doing the stock grille also and maybe the burger on the back, can u post some pics of your grille and burger?
I don't have a pic of the grill on the car but I can take a pic this weekend. Here is a shot of the rear burger.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:41 PM

that looks sweet. i'm really liking the way it looks. i think it would look great on mine cause i have a white 05. i think im gonna eventually get the cmod grille too but for now i think imma try the stock one with the plasti dip. what do you recomend to use for getting that stuff off without damaging the paint in case of over spray? thanks for the quick reply. by the way, your car looks real clean!

Last edited by NYCMAXIMA; 04-29-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:10 AM

If there is any overspray than some polishing compound will take that right off (This method also works on paint). After that, some polish and wax obviously. Can't leave the paint to face the elements.

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 05-01-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by NYCMAXIMA
that looks sweet. i'm really liking the way it looks. i think it would look great on mine cause i have a white 05. i think im gonna eventually get the cmod grille too but for now i think imma try the stock one with the plasti dip. what do you recomend to use for getting that stuff off without damaging the paint in case of over spray? thanks for the quick reply. by the way, your car looks real clean!

plasti-dip is awesome stuff, and FOOL proof. when i prep for using it, i don't even use coversheet. i just let the overspray (if i get any) go where it goes, let it dry some what, and take a cherry cloth, cotton towel, ect.. and it rubs right off. it comes off easy. even if you let it dry all the way, it still comes off with a cloth.

as 6.5affiliate says, rubbing compound will work even better. AND will make your car look great. but good compound is expensive and if you don't want to buy, you don't absolutely need it.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yup looking nice. Mine started to peal off so i might consider doing this
Old 05-01-2011, 02:59 AM

You should, it peels off easy if you don't like the look of it.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:36 AM

Where did you guys buy the plasti-dip?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:42 AM

NYCMAXIMA, Here are some shots of the OEM grill plasti dipped and my Cmod for comparison.

dpeles1, You can buy Plasti Dip at Home Depot for about $6 a can.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:11 AM

How is the Plasti-Dip holding up? Does it do well when exposed to the elements and car washing?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by bcampbe7
How is the Plasti-Dip holding up? Does it do well when exposed to the elements and car washing?
Its holding up fine for me..done about 10 or more car washes since I did mine and its been like 85+ and F**king hot here in FLA.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:16 AM

the stock grille looks sick. i think i'm gonna try it on my 05.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:52 PM

Looks sweet.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:24 PM

Here are my own pics, at last. I used blackout tape from pepboys. It cost $5.99 plus tax, for one. I bought 2. Standing from afar, it looks quite good. But when you come very close, you see some imperfections. But it truly still looks good. I give myself 7/10. Someday when I find the time, I might try plastidip.

Last edited by NismoMax80; 09-28-2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: pics too large
Old 05-11-2011, 09:10 AM

Do you have to strip the rest of the chrome off of those strips before you use the plastidip? I'm guessing you do, but I just wondered what others had used. If you have to strip the rest of the chrome off, what did you use or did you just peel it?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by hicksjd9
Do you have to strip the rest of the chrome off of those strips before you use the plastidip? I'm guessing you do, but I just wondered what others had used. If you have to strip the rest of the chrome off, what did you use or did you just peel it?

Unless your chrome is flaking, you do not have to strip it. So long as you have a smooth surface to work with you are good to go. Just clean the chit out of the strip before you paint or plasti dip.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:45 AM

Just bought my max and thought it looked like crap. I'm going to have to do this to the factory grill to, till I can come up with the dough to get the C-Mod grill.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:08 AM

Mine is chipping like crazy. Do you know if the strips on the sides of the trunk go bad, too? Are there replacement strips from Nissan that are better quality now?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:11 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by hicksjd9
Mine is chipping like crazy. Do you know if the strips on the sides of the trunk go bad, too? Are there replacement strips from Nissan that are better quality now?
No Nissan used real chrome on the rear strips. They used a mirror film with clear tape for the long ones. The clear cover fades in the sun which is the problem. I painted my long ones and covered the chrome ones with vinyl.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:43 PM

So if you buy new ones they will look like **** again?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:59 PM

That plastidip grill looks AMAZING!!!

I'm nervous about the longevity of the plastidip. I wish I could check in with some of you a year or so from now and see if it's still going strong.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:39 PM

I just got done shining up my factory chrome roofstrips without removing them

They were the "gray" color as some have stated, but they look pretty good now....

I'm assuming you guys have already tried this and had them revert back to the gray color, and that's why you modified yours?

Shall I expect mine to fade again?
Old 05-13-2011, 04:03 AM

Last time I polished mine it lasted 2 days. wax em right after it might last a week....
Old 05-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looks nice. Personally, I like the chrome. I have an 04 SE Silver but the chrome is starting to peel on the roof so I'm going to be looking at other options to make it look nice.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I bit the bullet and bought two new strips from a friend of mine who gets 20% off Nissan parts...I buy a lot of my after-market parts from him too. It cost me $296 tax in for two....what are you going to do. I will have our version of Speedy Auto glass replace it as it is very hard to do yourself and if you're not careful you could bust your windshield. BTW - The Honda Accord has exactly the same type of strips except they went with charcoal black for theirs and it looks just as nice. I am however impressed with this mod write-up and therefore give it two thumbs up!
Old 05-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Has anyone tried chrome paint for this? I have an 04 SE Silver and mine have started peeling but I like them chrome! Any other suggestions for this?
Old 05-20-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by amym1532
Has anyone tried chrome paint for this? I have an 04 SE Silver and mine have started peeling but I like them chrome! Any other suggestions for this?
DO NOT use chrome paint...it does not look anything like chrome. Go to Summit Racing and get chrome tape...it is the same as the blackout tape, only chrome. That's your cheapest route.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:02 AM

I like the chrome look also.

Chrome tape would work?
Old 05-21-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kryogen
I like the chrome look also.

Chrome tape would work?
You don't have a whole lot of options. Either replace them with new...and they will just oxidize again...or put chrome tape on them. If you paint them with chrome paint, you'll end up throwing them away...that's how bad they will look.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:33 PM

Yeah it look sick man i want to get that done but i wont do anything my self let someone do it for me lol
Old 06-20-2011, 01:17 PM

The tape version has issues I did the rear with no problems and it looks alright but you can get bubble and it will look like chit. I tried to do the longer strips, I dont know how you guys did it with the tape as it curves. I wasted a side of tape as it looked like chit. I can't wait to dump this car, I am so done with stupid BS chit like this following part. I am going to just plastic dip the strips and maybe the front grill as it looks pretty good.

Anyone want to buy some black out tape? I have a full roll that I am not even going to bother opening

Last edited by FenderGuy; 06-20-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply: No more $%#*&# chrome roof strips!!!