6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

I'm thinking of selling if the MPG doesn't change

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 06:38 PM

i get horrible milage when using 87.why not use 93 for a change.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:20 PM

I'm using 91, where the heck you getting 93?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by FenderGuy
I'm using 91, where the heck you getting 93?
Northeast has 93, we don't got 91. Well at least in MA, NH, & ME. I can't speak for NY, CT, & RI.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:28 AM

Ohio has Sunoco 94, we also have 93, 91, 89, and 87 as the "standard" octanes. I usually use Shell 93, or Sunoco 94.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:56 AM

i do miss my civic though... i was getting 32 mpg and it only cost $20 to fill up every week and a half.

as for the max, i have to pump exactly every week and cost around $42 every fill up. so far its the 2nd thing i hate about the max. the first is, it really sucks at making U turns.

Last edited by nyana107; 09-13-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:10 PM

93 here in Florida shell most of the time.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:44 PM

What happened to guy..............hope he sold his car. He's making a big deal about something simple that everyone of us has to deal with our 6th gens. Personally found it kind of annoying because he's been bashing almost every suggestion that was given to him........
Old 09-14-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate
What happened to guy..............hope he sold his car. He's making a big deal about something simple that everyone of us has to deal with our 6th gens. Personally found it kind of annoying because he's been bashing almost every suggestion that was given to him........
You said sell it, that was your suggestion...I'm not making a big deal out of nothing ..I see other threads with how much mileage you getting Which gas is better? Etc It's a thread if you find it annoying, stay the hell out of the threads?

Personally I found everyone has given ops on the matter and I have taken that into account.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:59 PM

Alright man, I know there's other threads about what gas to use but it clearly says on the paper on the car window when you bought the car that it's 20 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway.

You could've even researched it on the internet before you bought the ride too. What else were you expecting from this car? Seriously

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 09-15-2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:25 AM

Alright man, I know there's other threads about what gas to use but it clearly says on the paper on the car window when you bought the car that it's 20 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway.

You could've even researched it on the internet before you bought the ride too. What else were you expecting from this car? Seriously
I did research this car before a friend suggested it to me, I started with Kelly Blue book and then went on to sites like cars.com which gave me the stats http://www.cars.com/nissan/maxima/2004/specs/

the MPG for city and highyway varied for different sites but it seemed in the city MPG was over at least 18 and highway over 28.

I feel the car is decent from all the others in this price range, but from the posts I see there are some issues that were not mentioned in my research.

So I seriously expected the car to be what it was said to be in my research, it's a fourm where people ask questions. You seem to think that because one researches a car, one would know every issue with the car.

So I seriously expected better MPG then I am getting at the moment.

Last edited by FenderGuy; 09-15-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:32 AM

I traded in my old ride (2003 ford explorer v6) for my 04 max and I have to say the gas is not what i expected either. I was really confused at first because I am averaging high 15s in the city but whenever I go on a road trip my highway mileage ranges from 26-28mpg.

I realized the reason my city mileage is so terrible is because I make VERY short trips (1-2 miles at a time) and this creates worse mileage than a longer trip would.

Maybe you should look at how long your city trips are and if that isnt good enough for you get a hybrid. Their city mileage is outstanding due to the hybrid portion of the motor. My friend has a Camry hybrid and he averages mid 20s in the city.

But in the end, I love my Max. Its the best car Ive ever had and I plan on keeping it for a very long time.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by FenderGuy
I did research this car before a friend suggested it to me, I started with Kelly Blue book and then went on to sites like cars.com which gave me the stats http://www.cars.com/nissan/maxima/2004/specs/

the MPG for city and highyway varied for different sites but it seemed in the city MPG was over at least 18 and highway over 28.

I feel the car is decent from all the others in this price range, but from the posts I see there are some issues that were not mentioned in my research.

So I seriously expected the car to be what it was said to be in my research, it's a fourm where people ask questions. You seem to think that because one researches a car, one would know every issue with the car.

So I seriously expected better MPG then I am getting at the moment.
See........your twisting words right there. I said if you did a bit of research then you will be better prepared for what that car will deliver in terms of MPG. You don't seem to understand is that it's a sport/luxury vehicle with a V6.......expect the MPG's to suck. And if you really did take all the comments under consideration like you said before. You would've already known that.

I've also noticed that a lot of your replies were erased by the moderators. Which means that I'm not the only one that feels like you've been bashing on people for simply stating the obvious. USE THE SEARCH BUTTON.....instead of setting up people for you to bash. Like you said before, this info is already in other threads. Why make another thread about it?

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 09-15-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by balla7733
I traded in my old ride (2003 ford explorer v6) for my 04 max and I have to say the gas is not what i expected either. I was really confused at first because I am averaging high 15s in the city but whenever I go on a road trip my highway mileage ranges from 26-28mpg.

I realized the reason my city mileage is so terrible is because I make VERY short trips (1-2 miles at a time) and this creates worse mileage than a longer trip would.

Maybe you should look at how long your city trips are and if that isnt good enough for you get a hybrid. Their city mileage is outstanding due to the hybrid portion of the motor. My friend has a Camry hybrid and he averages mid 20s in the city.

But in the end, I love my Max. Its the best car Ive ever had and I plan on keeping it for a very long time.
Good post...this is exactly what I was just going to respond with. In the winter time, I've gotten as low as 13.8mpg. I realize because I drive EXTREMELY short distances, that it will have a NEGATIVE impact on the MPG. If the car never has a chance to properly warm up, then your MPG will suffer. Short trips do not allow the car to reach the proper operating temperature.

You can look at the MPG on the window sticker, and it will give you an idea, but I've never gotten the advertised MPG on ANY car that I've ever purchased. There are so many variables involved...you can rest assured that the MPG advertised are under optimal conditions...conditions that you will NEVER meet on the street.

If I do ALL highway driving, I'll get 26-30mpg. I got rid of my blown 92 Mustang for this car. My mustang got about 8mpg in the city, so I'm not complaining about the 16-18mpg that I get from my Maxima!
Old 09-15-2010, 07:26 PM

See........your twisting words right there. I said if you did a bit of research then you will be better prepared for what that car will deliver in terms of MPG. You don't seem to understand is that it's a sport/luxury vehicle with a V6.......expect the MPG's to suck. And if you really did take all the comments under consideration like you said before. You would've already known that.

I've also noticed that a lot of your replies were erased by the moderators. Which means that I'm not the only one that feels like you've been bashing on people for simply stating the obvious. USE THE SEARCH BUTTON.....instead of setting up people for you to bash. Like you said before, this info is already in other threads. Why make another thread about it?
I have to say everyone has been great on the comments and maybe even giving me a insight on the car.

You on the other hand have been a laugh, I just searched this thread for erased replies? I didn't see any. I don't see the threads where I am bashing anyone, I may debate some items with others, but otherwise I doubt it's bashing.