6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

I'm thinking of selling if the MPG doesn't change

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 06:52 PM

I'm thinking of selling if the MPG doesn't change

Recent trip from Az to California resulted in 23 MPG as per the computer reading. I would say it was on with the gas I had to put in the car. In town driving is bad I am guessing 16 to 17 MPG. Did I buy into a gas guzzler with no performance factor for the gas being spent?

My ex car was a real sprots car that had the same numbers as above, but at least it gave me a smile when I lead footed the gas pedal.

This car is making me think that Nissan is not friendly on gas.

My car is a 6 speed man, 79,950 miles. Recent work on the car with chain tensioners, oil change, air filters (both cabin and engine)
Gas used in the car is 87 and I asked my service guy at Nissan, who stated, there is no reason why you should be putting 93 in the car. I ran 93 in the car once and I still got the MPG above

Unknown change on the plugs, fuel filter.

What could be the issue to justify such crappy MPG?
Old 08-24-2010, 07:37 PM

1. Change your plugs.

2. Generally takes more than one tank of gas for the ECU to reconfigure to accommodate higher octane.

3. Nissan's are not friendly on gas....any of them, setting aside The Leaf of course.

4. Our cars are junk in city driving when it comes to fuel. Our cars are very heavy. Take your car out on the highway, preferably flat, and keep it at 60mph...that is where you are going to get your best fuel economny. If you are at betwen 28-31mpg, then your car in running as it should.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Terrentius
1. Change your plugs.

2. Generally takes more than one tank of gas for the ECU to reconfigure to accommodate higher octane.

3. Nissan's are not friendly on gas....any of them, setting aside The Leaf of course.

4. Our cars are junk in city driving when it comes to fuel. Our cars are very heavy. Take your car out on the highway, preferably flat, and keep it at 60mph...that is where you are going to get your best fuel economny. If you are at betwen 28-31mpg, then your car in running as it should.
60? I just can't justify working 40 hours a week and spending my hard earned money on super unleaded so I can go 60mph on the highway, sorry. My speed is usually between 75-80 on the highway. Like the song says, I work hard and play harder. If you're worried about gas mileage, then get a Prius. Don't you get educated about the car you want to purchase before you purchase it?? I do, that way I know what Im getting myself in to.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by RAZ76
60? I just can't justify working 40 hours a week and spending my hard earned money on super unleaded so I can go 60mph on the highway, sorry. My speed is usually between 75-80 on the highway. Like the song says, I work hard and play harder. If you're worried about gas mileage, then get a Prius. Don't you get educated about the car you want to purchase before you purchase it?? I do, that way I know what Im getting myself in to.
Educated about this car? Are you kidding me? Let's see it's a fwd "luxury" car, nothing more correct? See I'm sorry I didnt expect it to have a sports car gas sucking attitude, since it's not that. Stupid me thinking Nissan was decent on MPG...

Last edited by FenderGuy; 08-24-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:20 PM

I agree I can't drive 60 on the highway, I was at 75 to 90 most of the time...
Old 08-24-2010, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by FenderGuy
Educated about this car? Are you kidding me? Let's see it's a fwd "luxury" car, nothing more correct? See I'm sorry I didnt expect it to have a sports car gas sucking attitude, since it's not that. Stupid me thinking Nissan was decent on MPG...
This is how Im going to put it, I believe it was dues or kamski that drove at 80MPH getting above or around 25 MPG, I could be mistaken though. But I would expect 23-25 be a blessing on the highway. Figure your getting the right gas from the right places you should be around there, check basic things like tire pressure and do your maintenance (If its not already done) Think about it, Its a decent sized engine, heavy and has a pretty big body (Which weighs it down in weight and aerodynamically) Your still going to have drag no matter how much time nissan spent at the wind tunnel. Other then that you can get rid of things in your trunk that are not needed and at a last resort if its really that important to get the most miles get a scangauge. There are tons of things you can do to get better MPG, It starts with maintenance and your driving attitude going all the way to modifying the aerodynamics (Adding lips, diffusers, ect) Good luck with whatever you do
Old 08-25-2010, 10:08 AM

I recently made a 4 hour trip with my 04 max loaded with stuff for back to school (every seat was full except the drivers seat) and 2 12 memphis subs in the trunk. I averaged around 25mpg while doing between 75-90 the whole way. However, in the city, my average mpg is 16.5 and I try to stay away from hard acceleration and braking. Its a small drawback to me especially when using premium gas...

Or maybe I have no complaints because $40 to fill up with premium is much better than the $65 and 11-12mpg I was paying to fill up my Explorer before I traded it in for this one..
Old 08-25-2010, 11:44 AM

Well, that may have something to do with your mileage....what were you hoping the mileage at 90 mph would be?
Old 08-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Guys the reference to drive 60mph was to see what the mpg comptuer says for a short time, not for daily driving all the rest of his life.

If you are in the city a lot your mileage won't be so great.
I average 23mpg mixed with my mods and I'm not shy with the gas.
I only run premium.
My last trip (100miles) with myself, wife and three kids, trunk full and A/C running, averg 75mph I got 27mpg. Our cars are very very good on the highway even at higher speeds.

My first trip ever, just me and the wife, 100miles round trip. 33mpg. This was before modding it at all.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:16 PM

yoooooo

i went to FL once and i remembered on the way back, i coasted it at 70mph to see what i could achieve in means on gas mileage and the highest i was able to get on that trip was 27mpg. but right now my gas mileage is right at 21-23 but im like 90% highway throughout the week. im usually at 80-90mph on the highway just cruising.

"60? I just can't justify working 40 hours a week and spending my hard earned money on super unleaded so I can go 60mph on the highway, sorry. My speed is usually between 75-80 on the highway. Like the song says, I work hard and play harder. If you're worried about gas mileage, then get a Prius. Don't you get educated about the car you want to purchase before you purchase it?? I do, that way I know what Im getting myself in to."

LOL
Old 08-25-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
Well, that may have something to do with your mileage....what were you hoping the mileage at 90 mph would be?
Yeah man, unless it's a straight shot, and you're able to maintain a constant speed, 23 mph isn't horrible for these cars. It could get better, but the best I've seen so far is only around 24-25 at typical Highway speeds of 70-80.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:49 PM

I find that with gentle use of the throttle, the gas mileage can be pretty good. On a trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles (420 miles) averaging 75 mph, I got 30.0 mpg according to the fuel computer and I took a picture of it to prove it. My car is lowered and has aerodynamic stuff on it, although I dont know the effect of it. I use 91 octane fuel only, no 87 octane and keep my tires pumped to 38-40 psi.

As has been discussed ad nauseum, the key to good mileage is tire pressure and condition, clean air filter, 91 octane fuel, lowered car(probably), light foot on throttle and no bodies in the trunk.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:10 PM

^^38-40PSI, that's high dude. I run 33-34.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:09 PM

I average about 30 when driving 70mph on the interstate to downtown. No hills at all, though.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:18 PM

My 6th isn't as good as my 4th. Couple thoughts, try calculating the consumption without the computer, it's not very accurate. And as much as I hate octane debates - I've personally seen 91 yield better consumption on 3.5's, but the ECU has to adapt to it. 87 on a hot day under load is very likely to ping and even knock, this retards the timing back, and retarded timing hurts both performance and efficiency. You should get approx the same distance/$ using premium and your car gets to see better gas, try it - for awhile, or get your ignition timing advanced/brought back to stock (15 degrees advance from BTDC - it's probably at 10 or 11 right now) halfway through the first tank. I still get better than EPA ratings on my 3.0 and 3.5 and the two cars share 590,000 km's between them.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
lowered car(probably)
Technically makes no sense to lower the car for gas mileage purposes, Air flows under the car pushing the car up, lowered means less air going under so less air pushing the car upwards (Lightening the load off the wheels). But I could be wrong.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:26 PM

If your getting a Maxima then expect that your gas mileage isn't going to be so great. It's a luxury sports vehicle with a v6 engine pulling all the weight. It's gonna eat gas up like it's nothing. It's not known to be a gas saver nor great on mpg..........
Old 08-26-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by I VIK I
Technically makes no sense to lower the car for gas mileage purposes, Air flows under the car pushing the car up, lowered means less air going under so less air pushing the car upwards (Lightening the load off the wheels). But I could be wrong.
It typically doesn't work like that, air underneath isn't going to raise the car enough to have any impact on greater MPGs, but it will have a drag associated with it. Less air under the car=less drag...therefore a lower car will typically have better MPG's.

Last edited by MadMax07SL; 08-26-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by bamboomerang
try calculating the consumption without the computer....
There's a good idea, try calculating old school style.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:08 AM
SuPeRmOd

what do you expect with any car?

your style of driving dominates any features in the car to determine your MPG. you probably do rabbit starts and sudden stops off the highway too. you likely idle it more than necessary as well.

google how to drive to increase MPG. it takes breaking a lot of bad habits. Even I drive spirited or over 60 on the highway at times but never get below 20 MPG even if all city driving.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:51 PM

The gas mileage isn't so bad for the size of this car and the engine is no light weight either (not actual weight,meaning the power it has.) Mine gets about 23 to 24 combined hwy and city on the hwy I have seen 30mpg until they put ethanol in the fuel which dropped it to about 27 doing 75 to 80. Use premium fuel your mileage does go up a mile or two per gallon and for the price complaint what are we really talking here 4 dollars more per fill up come on big deal its a lot better for these motors too. And if your mileage goes up a little it kinda weights itself out with the price so now we are down to 2 bucks per fill up more. Yes these cars can run on 87 however you might regret that down the road when something goings wrong. Oh and the other thing the trannys on these cars rev a lot higher at high ways speeds I guess if it was a 6 speed auto the mileage would be better.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I take many roadtrips in my maxima, and as of recently i have been hitting between 28 & 32mpg, thats driving between 70 & 75 in town is around 20
Old 08-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Apollos2
There's a good idea, try calculating old school style.
+1. I have never gone by what my car says it is. Always have a calculator handy!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
It typically doesn't work like that, air underneath isn't going to raise the car enough to have any impact on greater MPGs, but it will have a drag associated with it. Less air under the car=less drag...therefore a lower car will typically have better MPG's.
Interesting point you make
Old 08-27-2010, 05:49 AM

I have nothing useful to say in this thread except my own personal comment. I've never bought a car and concerned myself with its mpg... never, and lord willing I never will have to take that IN to consideration when I'm buying future cars...
Old 08-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Have you tried Seafoaming? My Gas Mileage went up after I did one. Went from 11ish to 17-18 in heavy traffic and up to 31 on the highway.

I too don't concern myself with mpg too much but too low is indicative of other issues that cannot be ignored; Clogged Cats, Dirty MAF, etc. I plan on replacing the precats on my max soon, the 96k miles im sure have done them in.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by I VIK I

Guess where the energy to lift the car comes from....!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:18 PM

If I caculate by the old skool method then I am getting 14MPG in town ?

Anyways good comments and yeah I guess I should have not expected great MPG on a modern day car?

Seafoaming seems interesting may try that and see what happens, I'm not expecting a Toyota MPG but at least expected 20 around town and over 28 highway

BTW where is all the weight from on the car? The engine itself? I know it feels heavy but certain other areas feel light
Old 08-27-2010, 04:58 PM

Seafoaming seems interesting may try that and see what happens, I'm not expecting a Toyota MPG but at least expected 20 around town and over 28 highway
Toyotas don't get 28 on the highway either...at least not at 90 mph!
Old 08-29-2010, 03:09 PM

don't get an M35x there not any better..
Old 08-29-2010, 04:06 PM

Measured mine on the highway again yesterday. 32 mpg at 73 mph.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:03 PM

Recent trip from Az to California resulted in 23 MPG as per the computer reading. I would say it was on with the gas I had to put in the car. In town driving is bad I am guessing 16 to 17 MPG.

Gas used in the car is 87 and I asked my service guy at Nissan, who stated, there is no reason why you should be putting 93 in the car. I ran 93 in the car once and I still got the MPG above

Unknown change on the plugs, fuel filter.

What could be the issue to justify such crappy MPG?
I drive very short distances to/from work, so I'm only getting 14-16mpg in the city only. On the highway, I'll pull mid 20's. My car only has 29K miles, so maybe the mileage will improve some? As far as octane goes...Nissan recommends premium fuel for a reason, and it isn't because they are trying to line BP's pockets. Maybe it's time to find a new service tech.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50
I drive very short distances to/from work, so I'm only getting 14-16mpg in the city only. On the highway, I'll pull mid 20's. My car only has 29K miles, so maybe the mileage will improve some? As far as octane goes...Nissan recommends premium fuel for a reason, and it isn't because they are trying to line BP's pockets. Maybe it's time to find a new service tech.
Yeah, I'm surprised a tech would recomend lower, I could see him suggesting it certainly can be done, but he'd have to make you aware of the performance decrease...makes 255 HP feel more like 215...
Old 08-31-2010, 03:27 PM

Mpg also will vary with the brand of fuel, i can use a local station and get better milage than i can with Hess, both being mid grade, then i use SamsClub high test and get better mileage, ( i know its hightest and should do better) with the hess i can get around 19 in the city, and sams i been getting around 21. still trying to figure if the cost is worth it tho.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:47 PM

Stop complaining or sell it already. No use debating with people when you already have your mind made up.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nellanaesp
Measured mine on the highway again yesterday. 32 mpg at 73 mph.
I doubt you got that
Old 09-03-2010, 05:05 PM

Ok... the difference in price for a full tank of 91 vs 87 is minimal. On average it is 20 cents more per gallon for premium vs regular. So .20 x 19 (gallons) = $3.80 per fill-up. If you buy a $30,000+ car and can't afford the extra price of Premium fuel then you should have bought a Ford Fusion.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Ok... the difference in price for a full tank of 91 vs 87 is minimal. On average it is 20 cents more per gallon for premium vs regular. So .20 x 19 (gallons) = $3.80 per fill-up. If you buy a $30,000+ car and can't afford the extra price of Premium fuel then you should have bought a Ford Fusion.
You couldn't have said it any better!!!!! The whole strange thing about the difference is that your mileage goes up a little with 93 which I use and the cost is probably lower than $3.80 once you put that equation in it!!!!
Ps.Wow you take 19.0 gallons in that equation you must be burning fumes when you fill up,I always fill up when the light comes on and I really can't get any more that 16 gallons in the tank I guess they have a 4 gallon reserve. And of course the computer reads 0 DTE. I believe it is set up that way so you don't run out of gas because I could easily go at least another 100 miles or so before the tank really is on fumes.....lol

Last edited by JD05; 09-04-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by JD05
You couldn't have said it any better!!!!! The whole strange thing about the difference is that your mileage goes up a little with 93 which I use and the cost is probably lower than $3.80 once you put that equation in it!!!!
Ps.Wow you take 19.0 gallons in that equation you must be burning fumes when you fill up,I always fill up when the light comes on and I really can't get any more that 16 gallons in the tank I guess they have a 4 gallon reserve. And of course the computer reads 0 DTE. I believe it is set up that way so you don't run out of gas because I could easily go at least another 100 miles or so before the tank really is on fumes.....lol
I don't typically wait until I'm that low on gas but I was trying to give the worse case scenario. I usually fill-up and its 17 or 18 at its lowest. Plus with the premium the engine runs smoother and its response is better so its worth the "investment" into the highest grade of gas.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:29 PM

Sorry but my 2004 isn't a $30k, I paid around $10ish for it. And yes I can afford this "car" since I just paid for the timing chain issue that comes with owning this car.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking of selling if the MPG doesn't change