6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Transmission class action lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by victorwill
I have a 2006 Maxima w/ 104K miles that is having the same jerking issues. In Aug 2011, the car lurched and jumped so bad in traffic while slowing down. It also happens whenever I am pulling from a stop light or reversing. This issue continued and sometime I have to stop the car because I thought I was going to get into an accident. Since this appears after the car is driven for about 15 minutes, I will let the car sit for a while before I drive it again. It will drive fine for a few miles and start lurching again.
I took the car to our local Nissan dealer and I was told that I will need to pay them $105 for an inspection. I went on to tell them the issue and the service person acted as if he does not know what I was talking about. He was sarcastic in our conversation and he told me that I may have to buy a new transmission.
I have a 2004 SE, 5 speed, and the above is exactly what happens when I drive my car. It gets worse as the car warms up, and yes after getting to my destination of about 6 miles, I have to wait a while to drive it again, so annoying.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by librarychic
If you are talking about the motor mounts... we just had to replace that on Friday. The engine shook/vibrated so much the radiator moved...
Yes, it is. I've spent about $1000 alone on motor mounts. Besides the fine looks of the Maxima, its definitely a piece of junk. F---ing Nissan better get their **** together.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SuperMario
I don't know much obviously, but as I mentioned just a thought.

How many previous generations of Maxima's have you read about here in the forums with not even half the issues on their transmissions or no issues at all?

And to go to the heart of it, Nissan doesn't recommend any maintenance on the transmission, not even fluid changes on the 3.5 SE (I don't know about the SL), I believe they call our transmission a sealed unit. But then look at all the issues we have. Maybe that would count for something.
Mario, I have a 2006 SL and its transmission is also sealed. It gave me trouble since I bought it, but I just changed the TCM and it shifts a good bit more smoothly. It does take time to 'relearn' these things, though. The only issue I have with it (and this is my 4th Maxima, so I can critique them), is the navigation computer and the fact that coins can fall into it and short out the entire electrical system. I never put coins on the dash, but someone who rode with me did, and it cost me $485 for an ECM, $600 for the Nissan dealer to install and program it, and now another $95 for a TCM (they cost more, but I found a great price on Ebay).

I have contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs and they said they made decisions on whether or not to pay for these repairs on a 'case by case' basis. A class action suit would simply force them to issue a recall, which they should have done in the first place.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Pathetic

My 2006 Nissan Maxima has been jerking very badly, and having trouble getting into gear. This happens everytime I drive, speed up, slow down, and reverse. Sometimes I can barely accelerate on the freeway. This happened at around 77,000 miles, which is past my warranty. I have an extended warranty that I paid for, but of course, the transmission is not covered totally, and I would have to pay a $500 deductable just to get it looked at, and MAYBE get it fixed. I've spoken to a mechanic and he told me I needed a new transmission. He also told me that he has had several complaints from fellow Maxima owners over the transmission, I also spoke to a Service Manager at a Nissan dealership. He asked me what car I had, as soon as I told him a Maxima, he said "it's the transmission right? They are all bad." So if the Nissan people actually know there is something wrong with the transmission on the Maximas, then why are they not recalling them? I went online and saw numerous complaints from other Maxima owners about the same thing at several different forums, and consumer complaint websites. What is Nissan waiting for to fix this? Are they waiting for someone to get killed before they decide that something needs to be done about THEIR faulty equipment? I have two kids, and I do not feel safe driving that car, but I have no choice. It is my only car, and I can not afford to just replace a transmission every 20,000 miles. It's sad, and the fact that Nissan knows about this and chooses to do nothing is truly pathetic.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:34 PM

I guess there's no progress on this class action suit.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

TSB for automatic transmission APR 7, 2011

Does this count as an admission of a design defect? does anyone have a copy of this TSB? I'd love to see it.

Make : NISSAN
Model : MAXIMA
Year : 2005
Manufacturer : NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Service Bulletin Number : NTB-11-035
Date of Bulletin : APR 07, 2011
NHTSA Item Number : 10039864
Component : POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Summary : NISSAN: 2004-2006 MAXIMA. HARSH UPSHIFTS OR DOWNSHIFTS DURING MODERATE ACCELERATION OR WHEN SLOWING.*RM
Old 09-09-2011, 08:02 AM

Does the 2004 comes with a CVT?
Old 09-09-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by BETO6700
Does the 2004 comes with a CVT?

Last edited by brunelcc; 09-09-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by brunelcc
No, comes with Aisen-Warner tranny, which is what the problem is in 2004 thru 2006.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:02 PM

[quote=brunelcc;8197138]quote]

No, comes with Aisen-Warner tranny, which is what the problem is in 2004 thru 2006.[/
Old 09-09-2011, 01:25 PM

2004 Maxima SE, 5 Speed Transmission

Can I still be part of class action lawsuit if I turn in my lemon for a Honda or Ford. Apparently, all the dealerships are aware of the Maxima tranny problem, and will not give a fair tradein.

Beginning of this year I had a diagnostics on my transmission in which Nissan Consumer Affairs paid $100, and the dealership where I purchased the car paid $134. Third gear is gone, cost: $4092, just for the tranny. The diagnostics shows that there are numerous other issues that also must be fixed, i.e. the a/c low pressure drive belts, cat. converter (is under warranty til 4/1/12, and the timining chain which Total 3, 603. They got the tranny down to $3,606 prox. $7200.00.

Needless to say, and fortunately I received retroactive pension pay from my employer now that I am commencing my pension in October, and I am on my way to a Honda or Ford dealer. Most likely a Ford (American) made, forget that foreigh **** anymore.

Will not give Nissan my business now or ever, they are headed for so much trouble, above and beyond for scamming their customers.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:27 PM

Does anyone know what the status is on the lawsuit, haven't heard anyone talk about it lately, thank you.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:19 AM

I got lucky and purchased my SL in January of 2011 they had just replaced the tranny at 64919 the only thing I gotta worry about is it going out again whats the likelyhood?
Old 09-12-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by brunelcc
Does anyone know what the status is on the lawsuit, haven't heard anyone talk about it lately, thank you.
I spoke to the attorney handling this and was told the suit should be filed within the next 2 weeks. They are finalizing class representatives and talking to experts to define which models/years will be included in the class.

Almost there...folks
Old 09-12-2011, 11:10 AM

I hope so man because I just brought it and I wanna drive this one past 200,000 miles the 93 we had went 18 yrs without ever hitting a repair shop, but luckily they changed the transmission a month prior to my purchase
Old 09-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

sadly i had to replace my tranny a week ago. It got so bad that the car wouldnt even shift out of first gear. 2500+ down the drain. I hope the lawsuit would include something that would re-pay owners for the faulty transmissions!!
Old 09-14-2011, 11:44 AM

The question I would ask is...does your rebuilt tranny have the faulty Aisin Warner valve body? If so, you will have problems down the road...

That was my problem and I refused to go with Nissan's suggested replacement with a re-manufactured tranny. Just a band-aid fix not addressing the core problem.

This should come out in the class action
Old 09-14-2011, 12:00 PM

PittMaxiGuy thanks for the information i'm going to call aamco in a few minutes to look into it, I know the previous owner took it their first and had it fixed but I know one thing i'll get it look at immediately and if it has it i will have it replaced

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 09-14-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Incase people still arent aware, http://www.sunbeltvalvebodies.com/home.html, can fix the valve body issue for most likely the cheapest next to the transgo kit. They ship valve bodies for free.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:15 PM

What a nightmare this has been. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. At this point I don't really even care if I get reimbursed, since they can't reimburse me for the feeling I get in the pit of my stomach when I think about my car's tranny, what I do care about is having someone put the screws to Nissan for leaving their loyal customers hung out to dry.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:35 AM

I hope this pulls through. I spent 3500+ on a transmission overhaul!
Old 09-17-2011, 05:31 PM

thank you so much

Originally Posted by PittMaxiGuy
I spoke to the attorney handling this and was told the suit should be filed within the next 2 weeks. They are finalizing class representatives and talking to experts to define which models/years will be included in the class.

Almost there...folks
thank you so very much! I am looking forward to the day when justice will be served. This is absolutely crazy that we have to go thru this.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:38 PM

For those of you who are working hard in our behalf....Thank you all may God bless us to get the monetary justice we deserve, and help us to overcome the mental anguish we have had to endure!
Old 09-17-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by serdna
What a nightmare this has been. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. At this point I don't really even care if I get reimbursed, since they can't reimburse me for the feeling I get in the pit of my stomach when I think about my car's tranny, what I do care about is having someone put the screws to Nissan for leaving their loyal customers hung out to dry.
I know so well that feeling you ars talking about!!
Old 09-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was just told that my tranny is gone, and it's gonna be $3500+ to get it fixed. I'm gonna check in with AAMCO on Monday.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by jcumbie2
Mario, I have a 2006 SL and its transmission is also sealed. It gave me trouble since I bought it, but I just changed the TCM and it shifts a good bit more smoothly. It does take time to 'relearn' these things, though. The only issue I have with it (and this is my 4th Maxima, so I can critique them), is the navigation computer and the fact that coins can fall into it and short out the entire electrical system. I never put coins on the dash, but someone who rode with me did, and it cost me $485 for an ECM, $600 for the Nissan dealer to install and program it, and now another $95 for a TCM (they cost more, but I found a great price on Ebay).

I have contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs and they said they made decisions on whether or not to pay for these repairs on a 'case by case' basis. A class action suit would simply force them to issue a recall, which they should have done in the first place.
I also had this problem but was never shown in infamous"coin" that went down in the crack and shorted out the amp. We were out of $600 for that as well.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:36 AM

I am in. As long as I can get some money out of Nissan. The service charge for maintenance is ridiculous.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:51 PM

I have lived with my transmission shifting crappy for the last 50k+ miles. It has 126,5xx on it right now. These trannies are extremely sensitive. They really do require fluid changes at least every 30k miles if not every 20k. Lucas tranny fluid fix allows everything to shift smoother for the last 5-10k miles of the fluid life from what I've seen. I am crossing my fingers, but I think I can get this thing to last 150k+. Wish me luck! :knock on wood:
Old 09-22-2011, 09:54 PM

ok for the million dollar question what happens if you put 100K miles on your max and dont change the transmission fluid? im just curious because the 93 maxima we had my father maitained that car it ran 18 yrs but I dont think we ever changed it in that one i dont wanna take a chance with my 06
Old 09-23-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Alexander
ok for the million dollar question what happens if you put 100K miles on your max and dont change the transmission fluid? im just curious because the 93 maxima we had my father maitained that car it ran 18 yrs but I dont think we ever changed it in that one i dont wanna take a chance with my 06
Different strokes...The 6th gen is of a different genre. Running your tranny fluid 100k miles unrefreshed isn't just wise.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:16 PM

OK all you Gen 6 Maxi owners. Saw the final draft of the class action today. This is being filed and the class will have its day :-) in court. I'll keep you all posted as this moves along! Hang in there all...

Best regards,

PittMaxiGuy
Old 09-28-2011, 04:40 PM

OK all you Gen 6 Maxi owners. Saw the final draft of the class action today. This is being filed and the class will have its day :-) in court. I'll keep you all posted as this moves along! Hang in there all...

Best regards,

PittMaxiGuy
+1
Old 09-28-2011, 08:36 PM

Is it the whole transmission or just the valve body that is addressed.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Marlboromax
I was just told that my tranny is gone, and it's gonna be $3500+ to get it fixed. I'm gonna check in with AAMCO on Monday.
Aamco told me the same, but I took my car to another shop for a second opinion and my tranny was fine, I needed a new valve body, after I replaced it my tranny was good as new!! Aamco
Old 09-29-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Marlboromax
Aamco is garbage!!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the valve body replaced and it resolved my issue with my transmission.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:56 AM

Best regards,

PittMaxiGuy
Thank you for keeping us posted!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Quin227
I had the valve body replaced and it resolved my issue with my transmission.
Mine too...

Had the valve body replaced two months ago and it seems to have remedied the issue. Let's see where this suit goes and how we'll get $$ back from Nissan!

It is a shame Nissan doesn't back their product. Last one I buy- that's for sure!
Old 10-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I received this email today from the lawyer!!!

Chris -
We filed the Nissan case in New Jersey. Feel free to check in with me for updates periodically. We'll soon serve Nissan with the Complaint. Often that will be followed by some legal briefing regarding whether some or all of the claims should be dismissed for legal reasons.
I appreciate your input and help.
Cory
Old 10-05-2011, 07:41 PM

Congrats! Sounds like some real progress is being made.

Quick Reply: Transmission class action lawsuit