6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

So I just came from the nissan stealership...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 11:41 AM

So I just came from the nissan stealership...

I just recently hit the 100k mark. I went there for an oil change and for them to check out the CVT. It has been making a clunking noise when I upshift sometimes. Here's what they told me I need:

air filter-$39{ no words on how much this and the next are a rip}
in cabin filter-$79
4 struts-$1200(5hrs labor too){crazy talk!! there is absolutely nothing wrong with the ride}
Front motor mount broken-$627(4hrs labor){ Im not sure if this is for 1 mount or all, either way still too much}
alignment-$89.95 {they couldn't throw that in with the 4 struts?}
coolant flush-$120 (way too much)

I do agree that the work is gonna need to be done but those prices are just crazy. Anybody know where I can get a good price on the motor mounts? And possibly the struts?
Old 12-07-2010, 12:02 PM

Air filter and In cabin filter can be found at your local auto store or walmart.

Struts can be found on ebay or amazon for cheap price or even group deal.

Check out racingline for motor mount: http://racinglineperformance.com/sho...?idCategory=24

Good luck and stay away from stealerships!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:54 PM

Thats crazy whata rip 0ff
Old 12-07-2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by 97maxhunter
those prices are just crazy.
The answer to your question is in your title.

Grab the filters from autozone.

You don't have struts in the rear. The car has shocks in the rear.
Here is a cheap but good combo on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-4...Q5fAccessories
I run the same struts/shocks on my car.

Racingline only has motor mount inserts. Not the whole motor mount.
Here is a whole motor mount on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-08...Q5fAccessories

Go get an alignment at a tire shop. It will probably run you $50-60.
Go to a local mechanic to flush your coolant.

I'm assuming you don't do any of this work yourself, so labor will own you.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:02 PM

I just changed my fronts only on my 2005 (I've got 115,000 miles). I got the regular KYB struts from Advanced Auto Parts, they were $70 each and Pep Boys charged me $100 to install them and do an alignment. They work just fine for me.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:58 PM

motor mounts sound like the cause of your transmission clunking. I would listen and replace them. Not necessarily by Nissan, but get them done.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:08 PM

i didn't know 6th gens had CVT
Old 12-07-2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by shdwonthsun
i didn't know 6th gens had CVT
yup standard 07-08
Old 12-07-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by krazy6

No, I wish that I could. I do some basic stuff but never anything this in depth.
Is there only 1 mount in the front?
Thanks, that is a good price for the struts.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
yup standard 07-08

learn something everyday
Old 12-07-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by RandyZ
I just changed my fronts only on my 2005 (I've got 115,000 miles). I got the regular KYB struts from Advanced Auto Parts, they were $70 each and Pep Boys charged me $100 to install them and do an alignment. They work just fine for me.
I have KYB's ready to go at all four corners. Did you find any good difference between OEMs and KYBs? I am debating over either to return KYBs or have them married with my car.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by krazy6

What are the motor mounts on ebay with sensors? Do I need that type?
Old 12-08-2010, 12:10 PM
TAZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

don't worry about the sensors, they don't do a a lot for what they cost. I'd be hard pressed to believe most people could feel a difference in a maxima with them and a maxima without them. Leaving it unplugged will not cause any CEL's
Old 12-08-2010, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Racingline
don't worry about the sensors, they don't do a a lot for what they cost. I'd be hard pressed to believe most people could feel a difference in a maxima with them and a maxima without them. Leaving it unplugged will not cause any CEL's
A little OT but what does the sensor do? It doesn't tell you when the motor mount is broken so what is its purpose?
Old 12-08-2010, 03:41 PM

If it is anything like the 5th gen mounts, they adjust the stiffness of the mounts depending on preset conditions. There is fluid in the 5th gen electronic mounts that reacts to an electric current.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by blaxima06
Air filter and In cabin filter can be found at your local auto store or walmart.

Struts can be found on ebay or amazon for cheap price or even group deal.

Check out racingline for motor mount: http://racinglineperformance.com/sho...?idCategory=24

Good luck and stay away from stealerships!

What he said. They are RAPING you. Find another mechanic you can trust and buy the parts yourself.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:52 AM
TAZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky
If it is anything like the 5th gen mounts, they adjust the stiffness of the mounts depending on preset conditions. There is fluid in the 5th gen electronic mounts that reacts to an electric current.
Exact same for the 6th gens. The fluid is similar to hydraulic fluid and when at idle the fluid is "loose" so to speak so the mount stays soft and absorbs vibrations. When you get on the gas the current does something to the fluid to cause it to "stiffen" the mount for better support under load. The system is "ok" at best. The new 7th gen uses a completely different mount setup
Old 12-10-2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Racingline
Exact same for the 6th gens. The fluid is similar to hydraulic fluid and when at idle the fluid is "loose" so to speak so the mount stays soft and absorbs vibrations. When you get on the gas the current does something to the fluid to cause it to "stiffen" the mount for better support under load. The system is "ok" at best. The new 7th gen uses a completely different mount setup
Thanks for the info.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:24 PM

How can they possibley book 5 hours for struts/shocks? I did struts/shocks/springs/rear sway bar and it took me less than three hours taking my time? As far as the in-cabin airfilter...I think I paid $12 at Autozone, and it took all of 5 minutes to install. Gotta love the dealerships!
Old 12-12-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by 97maxhunter
I just recently hit the 100k mark. I went there for an oil change and for them to check out the CVT. It has been making a clunking noise when I upshift sometimes. Here's what they told me I need:

air filter-$39{ no words on how much this and the next are a rip}
in cabin filter-$79
4 struts-$1200(5hrs labor too){crazy talk!! there is absolutely nothing wrong with the ride}
Front motor mount broken-$627(4hrs labor){ Im not sure if this is for 1 mount or all, either way still too much}
alignment-$89.95 {they couldn't throw that in with the 4 struts?}
coolant flush-$120 (way too much)

I do agree that the work is gonna need to be done but those prices are just crazy. Anybody know where I can get a good price on the motor mounts? And possibly the struts?

Factory Nissan parts.....

Engine air filter - $16
Cabin air filter - $25
Front engine mount - $139
Front struts - $137 each
Rear shocks - $112 each

http://www.nissanpartscheap.com/
Old 12-12-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by 67 Lamnas
Factory Nissan parts.....

Engine air filter - $16
Cabin air filter - $25
Front engine mount - $139
Front struts - $137 each
Rear shocks - $112 each

http://www.nissanpartscheap.com/
Even those prices are ridiculous. You can get both air filters for about $10 each. I paid $169 shipped for BOTH front KYB struts, and BOTH rear KYB shocks. I'm not sure of the price on the engine mount, but I'm betting I can get it for considerably cheaper than $139. You don't HAVE to use factory Nissan parts.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50
Even those prices are ridiculous. You can get both air filters for about $10 each. I paid $169 shipped for BOTH front KYB struts, and BOTH rear KYB shocks. I'm not sure of the price on the engine mount, but I'm betting I can get it for considerably cheaper than $139. You don't HAVE to use factory Nissan parts.
No one HAS to do anything.....Some people prefer to use factory parts, others do not......it's a choice.....

My reply was intended to illustrate to the OP and others how ridiculous the stealership prices were for those services quoted, by showing some realistic prices for the factory parts.....
Old 12-13-2010, 02:13 PM

No one HAS to do anything.....Some people prefer to use factory parts, others do not......it's a choice.....

My reply was intended to illustrate to the OP and others how ridiculous the stealership prices were for those services quoted, by showing some realistic prices for the factory parts.....
Easy there tiger, I'm simply stating there are much cheaper alternatives. Yes, some people prefer to use factory parts...when we're talking air filters, I don't think it really matters. It wasn't a personal attack on you....just stating the cheaper alternatives.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:51 PM

I cant stand the dealership//
Old 12-13-2010, 06:10 PM

"Even those prices are ridiculous. You can get both air filters for about $10 each. I paid $169 shipped for BOTH front KYB struts, and BOTH rear KYB shocks. I'm not sure of the price on the engine mount, but I'm betting I can get it for considerably cheaper than $139. You don't HAVE to use factory Nissan parts."

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50
Easy there tiger, I'm simply stating there are much cheaper alternatives. Yes, some people prefer to use factory parts...when we're talking air filters, I don't think it really matters. It wasn't a personal attack on you....just stating the cheaper alternatives.

Okay...so it is pretty easy to tell it is December! I'll pop in in here and mediate so we can all chilax.

Well, taking into consideration that 1hawaii50 is a senior member and has over 700 post, it is fair to say that I think his point is on the money.

Let me clarify, that he means, as you do 69Lmamas, that one can use other parts, as opposed to Dealership parts, to replace defective/warren-out parts on their Max. That it is a "choice" that you do indeed have...that you do not just have to only use Nissan Factory parts or OEM parts. This is a valid point especially for those who are on a tighter budget. You are both on the same page, 69Lmamas. Choice is implied by both of you...that is, one is not constrained by only using factory or OEM parts.

I am pretty certain that 1hawaii50 made this important point because there are lots of people who join this forum thinking that they can only use factory parts and, in time, learn that they are are not necessarily at the mercy of the dealership for every little part on their car. To add to that, props to 1hawaii50 for posting back like a brutha and workings towards defusing the situation.

As for you, 69Lmamas, you just joined us last month, and so you need to holster those six-shooters. You reply has two parts and your point would have been sufficiently made by the 2nd part. The first part is totally unnecessary and even confrontational. Not required on this forum. No one here is lookin' to intentionally hammer people. Though we don't always do it perfectly, we're not the Huxtables, we do try to solve our whip issues with humor, respect, and a genuine concern for helping each other out. You need to keep this in mind when interacting with the members on this site, as I am doing with you at present.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Terrentius
"Even those prices are ridiculous. You can get both air filters for about $10 each. I paid $169 shipped for BOTH front KYB struts, and BOTH rear KYB shocks. I'm not sure of the price on the engine mount, but I'm betting I can get it for considerably cheaper than $139. You don't HAVE to use factory Nissan parts."

Okay...so it is pretty easy to tell it is December! I'll pop in in here and mediate so we can all chilax.

Well, taking into consideration that 1hawaii50 is a senior member and has over 700 post, it is fair to say that I think his point is on the money.

Let me clarify, that he means, as you do 69Lmamas, that one can use other parts, as opposed to Dealership parts, to replace defective/warren-out parts on their Max. That it is a "choice" that you do indeed have...that you do not just have to only use Nissan Factory parts or OEM parts. This is a valid point especially for those who are on a tighter budget. You are both on the same page, 69Lmamas. Choice is implied by both of you...that is, one is not constrained by only using factory or OEM parts.

I am pretty certain that 1hawaii50 made this important point because there are lots of people who join this forum thinking that they can only use factory parts and, in time, learn that they are are not necessarily at the mercy of the dealership for every little part on their car. To add to that, props to 1hawaii50 for posting back like a brutha and workings towards defusing the situation.

As for you, 69Lmamas, you just joined us last month, and so you need to holster those six-shooters. You reply has two parts and your point would have been sufficiently made by the 2nd part. The first part is totally unnecessary and even confrontational. Not required on this forum. No one here is lookin' to intentionally hammer people. Though we don't always do it perfectly, we're not the Huxtables, we do try to solve our whip issues with humor, respect, and a genuine concern for helping each other out. You need to keep this in mind when interacting with the members on this site, as I am doing with you at present.
No mediation or diffusing necessary...wasn't hammering anyone, nor feeling hammered on......I'll try to get my post count up for ya.....
Old 12-13-2010, 06:32 PM

Come to believe people actually pay these costs to have it done at a dealer
Old 12-13-2010, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by MizzMaxine
Come to believe people actually pay these costs to have it done at a dealer
Many do and many continue to, if you don't have the time or skill, the tools or the place to do the work it's relatively cheap, also add in screwing up something and having to fix that, I myself turned a 200 dollar job into 2000 dollar job and I was a tech.

It's all relative, a dealership should have competitive prices to outside shops and other dealers