6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Create From Nothing

Suspension Upgrade

OK, I'm about to order parts for a major suspension upgrade. Here is what I have so far

KYB-GR2
KYB Strut Boots

Moog Strut Mounts

Tein - S TechSprings
Progress Rear Sway Bar
Racingline FSTB
Racingline Endlinks (if\when they become available)
KCMAXX RSTB
Altima SE-R Front Sway Bar

My uncle and I will be doing the install, he has air tools, and spring compressors.

Are there other parts I should get??

::EDIT:: added more parts

Last edited by Digital Alchemy; 02-22-2011 at 06:23 AM. Reason: update
Old 02-19-2011, 12:45 PM

Strut mounts
Old 02-19-2011, 12:47 PM

Endlinks
Old 02-19-2011, 01:26 PM

def endlinks...buh because u r in the northeast...i would def suggest get the SS option...weather conditions require it...i have rusting issues up the *ss...

i would have suggested Tien over Progress...buh Progress still good. i went from progress to tiens...
Old 02-19-2011, 01:41 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Roll bar....
Old 02-19-2011, 01:43 PM

fstb and rstb?
Old 02-20-2011, 12:16 AM

Definitly Tien, had them on my civic and i was in love, getting them for my max once i fix the body
Old 02-20-2011, 05:53 AM
Create From Nothing

I think one of my strut mounts is bad so thats added to the list. Racingline makes the only endlinks for the max and they are out of stock (DAMN IT!!!). The Racingline FSTB I forgot to put up, and I need to talk to KCMAXX about the RSTB. I thought a roll bar was the same as a anti-sway bar. Ohh the whole Tein vs Progress thing...I'm gonna look into that because Baltimore's roads are nasty, the last thing I need to be doing is scrapping on anything
Old 02-20-2011, 08:27 AM

Front sway bar may not be necessary but then if you get hands on it with cheap price then go for it. Rear sway bar is what the important suspension upgrade one should consider. Also I heard not too good thing about KYB strut mounts. Get either moog or monroe ones. IMHO though...

Don't forget to get upper/lower rubber seats for front springs if you dont have them. You can get that from dealers for under $30 for both sides. For the rear endlinks, moog brand is something you should also look into if racinglines aren't available.

-

Last edited by KevMaster; 02-20-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:07 AM
KC's FINEST

You rang...?

Feel free to PM me with any and all questions about my RSTB's.

-Mike
Old 02-20-2011, 12:24 PM

Suspension related question. They oem strut mounts are know to go bad quickly. Are the kyb strut mounts better and correct the faults of the oem ones? I am getting them changed Tuesday because passenger front one is bad. 53k miles. Ridiculous. If not kyb what should I use?
Old 02-20-2011, 12:50 PM

KYB strut mounts are horrible... don't use.. use the stock ones.. or others if you can
Old 02-20-2011, 01:23 PM

Why are they bad? Can't be worse than stock?
Old 02-20-2011, 01:35 PM

dpeles1, I do have the KYB strut mounts and KYB struts on my front passenger side. Had it for about 10 months or so now. I think I need them replaced!!!! It has recently just started sounding as if my strut is busted again! In fact, the driver side which is still OEM is now sounding busted as the passenger. Seems both needs to be replaced.

I think I will look into the Monroe setup instead of KYB. Can't believe the KYB is out after just under a year of replacing it. So, if you choose to go with the Monroe as opposed to KYB, let us know. I would like to know.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:42 PM

You getting a popping noise? You definitely helped in my decision making. I will either do Moog or Monroe.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima
dpeles1, I do have the KYB strut mounts and KYB struts on my front passenger side. Had it for about 10 months or so now. I think I need them replaced!!!! It has recently just started sounding as if my strut is busted again! In fact, the driver side which is still OEM is now sounding busted as the passenger. Seems both needs to be replaced.

I think I will look into the Monroe setup instead of KYB. Can't believe the KYB is out after just under a year of replacing it. So, if you choose to go with the Monroe as opposed to KYB, let us know. I would like to know.
How many miles do you have on your car? Are you happy with struts or did they go as well?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:10 PM

I got some KYB GR2 installed 3 weeks ago but when I had them installed, my mechanic called me and said that the KYB strut mounts I gave him are defective. Something about the rubber or what ever is in the middle was spinning when he was mounting on the strut. So I was stuck using the Nissan
Mounts I had on there. I also order it from justsuspension.com , the strut boots don't come with some "O" ring that hold the boot on.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by dpeles1
How many miles do you have on your car? Are you happy with struts or did they go as well?
I bought my car brand new with 15miles. I busted my passenger-side front struts when my mileage was about 50k. Now odometer is at 72k and I think BOTH struts are busted. The OEM on the driver side and KYB on the passenger side.

I wish there was a group buy for the Monroe or something better. If you buy the Monroe, I will like to know how much you spend. And how it handles.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima
I bought my car brand new with 15miles. I busted my passenger-side front struts when my mileage was about 50k. Now odometer is at 72k and I think BOTH struts are busted. The OEM on the driver side and KYB on the passenger side.

I wish there was a group buy for the Monroe or something better. If you buy the Monroe, I will like to know how much you spend. And how it handles.
I am at 55k miles. But it has been bad for a while. I take it in tomorrow. I will let you know what I have done.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:46 AM
Create From Nothing

OK so I dropped the progress in favor of Tien Springs (better quality, and a higher ride height, need the height don't want to bottom out), and switched out the KYB mounts for Moog mounts. Any opinions on the Endlinks...Moog vs Racingline???

Racingline Endlinks still out of stock

Last edited by Digital Alchemy; 02-22-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:05 AM

racingline...and i see ur in maryland...i would def suggest to opt for the Stainless Steel option bc of one factor...recently our weather has been horrible...and i think its going to be a constant. rain salt corrision...i think is a part of our car's troubles...lolxz
Old 02-22-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by dpeles1
You getting a popping noise? You definitely helped in my decision making. I will either do Moog or Monroe.
My 04 with 59,xxx miles is in the shop today with a busted pass. side strut mount. My mechanic will be replacing it with the Moog. He said the KYBs are the "el cheapos"!

Should I go ahead and replace the driver's side while it's in the shop? Opinions on this?

Sorry to hijack your thread, but it has been helpful. When I told my mechanic about these problems he was glad to hear it. He said it was strange for this to happen this early in the mileage and thought maybe it was something else he was missing.

I love this forum!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Create From Nothing

Originally Posted by officerfrasher
My 04 with 59,xxx miles is in the shop today with a busted pass. side strut mount. My mechanic will be replacing it with the Moog. He said the KYBs are the "el cheapos"!

Should I go ahead and replace the driver's side while it's in the shop? Opinions on this?

Sorry to hijack your thread, but it has been helpful. When I told my mechanic about these problems he was glad to hear it. He said it was strange for this to happen this early in the mileage and thought maybe it was something else he was missing.

I love this forum!
As long as it doesn't get off topic I encourage hijacking...prevents having muliple posts for the same general issue...As for replacing the unbusted mount...prevent the issue before it starts. Get them both replaced, less hassle in the long run right!!!

Once I hear back from some people about pricing I will be ordering parts...hopefully today. I'm getting a fresh set of Eagle GT's put on this afternoon. I will be posting pics as the parts come in and during the install
Old 02-22-2011, 08:22 AM

I do agree and will most likely go that route, once he gives me the estimate.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:42 AM

Don't get the KYB shocks/struts. Had them on my 2004. Junk. I'd go for Monroe Sensatracks.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
Don't get the KYB shocks/struts. Had them on my 2004. Junk. I'd go for Monroe Sensatracks.
can you explain a bit your personal experience...this isn't the first time people w 6th gens have said that. how did you feel between the monroe sensa-trac vs KYB gr-2. i always felt KYB was a better suspension company than monroe.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
For the colder climate yeah KYBs are stiffer and feels harder on ride. However they also perform pretty good during summer. Monroe tends to be for those who wants comfort ride with touring tires. Monroe is more likely an OEM replica. KYBs are more likely for aggressive and firm ride with performance tires. There is always going to be a trade-off between two no matter what you pick.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:29 PM

the reason i'm asking is...i have an 06 SL...and i'm running KYB GR-2 struts and AGX shocks...its been good for 5 years so far...its been great handling wise. buh i think i might need to replaces my strut mount nd boots soon. i replaced struts and shocks at 700 miles. so now w bout 50,000 miles i think its about time. i'm just wondering ur opinion on the differencecs.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:41 AM
Create From Nothing

Originally Posted by KevMaster
For the colder climate yeah KYBs are stiffer and feels harder on ride. However they also perform pretty good during summer. Monroe tends to be for those who wants comfort ride with touring tires. Monroe is more likely an OEM replica. KYBs are more likely for aggressive and firm ride with performance tires. There is always going to be a trade-off between two no matter what you pick.
Performance is the reason why I'm going with the KYB's I do about 70/30 highway/city driving right now...And I just got a brand new set of GoodYear Eagle GT's on...So I want something that will let the tires work a little easier.

OK so Moog doesn't make the rear mounts for our cars...Should I stick with he KYB rear mounts or do you have any recommendations

Last edited by Digital Alchemy; 02-23-2011 at 05:48 AM. Reason: added a question
Old 02-23-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Alchemy
Performance is the reason why I'm going with the KYB's I do about 70/30 highway/city driving right now...And I just got a brand new set of GoodYear Eagle GT's on...So I want something that will let the tires work a little easier.

OK so Moog doesn't make the rear mounts for our cars...Should I stick with he KYB rear mounts or do you have any recommendations
Why do you even wants to get rear mount? Are they rusted and can't be usable? First of all there is no such a thing as rear mount unless yo're talking about that brackets with two bolts that cost 10 bucks at dealer.

Also this is not just for you but for many other nissan maxima owners. I am seeing lot of maxima owners jump into an ideas of getting front and rear sway bar upgrade ideas which is not bad and it's a good upgrade path. However before you google around the whole worlds web site for this idea, do me a favor and call up your closest nissan dealer. Give them your VIN number and ask them to see what exactly part numbers are for your front and rear sway bars that were installed from factory. May be to your big surprise many maximas were installed with 27mm rear sway bars that is the same as altima se-r rear sway bar. Of course progress, nismo, stillen sway bars are thicker and heavier but you're more than half way there if you've 27mm rear sway bar installed from factory and you may not gain much difference after upgrading your rear sway bar. If you find your's is 27mm rear sway bar, part # 56230-7y007 then it's up to you to throw more money for progress, nismo or stillen sway bar to satisfy your needs. I have also seen many discussion over this topic that maximas are comes with 24mm rear sway bars which is not entirely true. I am a living proof of having 27mm rear sway bar that was installed from factory in my 2004 maxima se model. For the front sway bar, I have no comments on upgrade because I believe it's not necessary because of fw drive car. I did not mean to say you won't gain anything at all with front sway bar upgrade. Also front strut bar is nothing more than just for look or change in performance that is very very hard to even feel. I even much rather to have rear bar from KCmaxx than to have front strut bar at first place. One should also care extreme on highway driving with all these upgrades because your car will response immediately with slight change in steering wheel. That means you should not try to change CDs or playing with ipod, cellphone or similar activities while driving.

My 2 cents...

-

Last edited by KevMaster; 02-23-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by MisterSparkle
can you explain a bit your personal experience...this isn't the first time people w 6th gens have said that. how did you feel between the monroe sensa-trac vs KYB gr-2. i always felt KYB was a better suspension company than monroe.
The KYBs just didn't last long for me. Within 10,000 miles, I had to replace the fronts. Had no luck with warranty either. At least Monroe is more readily available at actual shops. My experience/opinion of course. If I could do it all over again, I would have definitely gone with Monroe.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Create From Nothing

Couple more questions

1. Will I be able to reuse the old rear strut mounts?

2. Will I\Should I get new bushings, and what bushings will I need?

3. I know I will need a 4 wheel alignment, but will I need an alignment kit after my car is lowered?
Old 02-23-2011, 12:13 PM

I love this forum!
So my mechanic replaced both strut mounts and the pass. side was still making the same noise. Turned out that the strut itself was bad! $$$ He replaced it with the KYB. We'll see how it goes with the KYBs.

Found this on KYBs website:
  1. Lifetime: All KYB Shock Absorbers, Struts and Strut Cartridges (Except KYB Strut-Plus™, Electronic and Self-Leveling Units) Note: “Lifetime” means for as long as the original retail purchaser owns the vehicle on which the KYB products were originally installed.
Hopefully they won't be too bad!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Create From Nothing

So my mechanic replaced both strut mounts and the pass. side was still making the same noise. Turned out that the strut itself was bad! $$$ He replaced it with the KYB. We'll see how it goes with the KYBs.
DAMN, were they the OEM struts of aftermarket?
  1. Lifetime: All KYB Shock Absorbers, Struts and Strut Cartridges (Except KYB Strut-Plus™, Electronic and Self-Leveling Units) Note: “Lifetime” means for as long as the original retail purchaser owns the vehicle on which the KYB products were originally installed.
Thats good to know.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:20 PM

DAMN, were they the OEM struts of aftermarket?

Thats good to know.
They were the OEM. My Max is a 2004 with 59,xxx miles.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:21 PM

Lifetime warranty play out completely differently for KYBs and Monroe.

Monroe lifetime warranty includes normal wear and tear.
KYB lifetime warranty exclude normal wear and tear.

Monroe lifetime warranty allow you to return parts to any authorized monroe reseller, KYB does not. You must go to the place where you have purchased KYBs to get going with warranty claim (hint...hint...for ebay purchases.....spend little more and get KYBs from local store.)

Old 02-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Create From Nothing

They were the OEM. My Max is a 2004 with 59,xxx miles.
I also have a 2004 just broke 100k about a month ago. I have some knocking on the passenger side, and thats about it (probably the strut mount)...I just wanna eliminate most of the body roll i'm experiencing, and get some of the old parts out before they go completely bad, and I don't have the money to replace them.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by KevMaster
Why do you even wants to get rear mount? Are they rusted and can't be usable? First of all there is no such a thing as rear mount unless yo're talking about that brackets with two bolts that cost 10 bucks at dealer.

Also this is not just for you but for many other nissan maxima owners. I am seeing lot of maxima owners jump into an ideas of getting front and rear sway bar upgrade ideas which is not bad and it's a good upgrade path. However before you google around the whole worlds web site for this idea, do me a favor and call up your closest nissan dealer. Give them your VIN number and ask them to see what exactly part numbers are for your front and rear sway bars that were installed from factory. May be to your big surprise many maximas were installed with 27mm rear sway bars that is the same as altima se-r rear sway bar. Of course progress, nismo, stillen sway bars are thicker and heavier but you're more than half way there if you've 27mm rear sway bar installed from factory and you may not gain much difference after upgrading your rear sway bar. If you find your's is 27mm rear sway bar, part # 56230-7y007 then it's up to you to throw more money for progress, nismo or stillen sway bar to satisfy your needs. I have also seen many discussion over this topic that maximas are comes with 24mm rear sway bars which is not entirely true. I am a living proof of having 27mm rear sway bar that was installed from factory in my 2004 maxima se model. For the front sway bar, I have no comments on upgrade because I believe it's not necessary because of fw drive car. I did not mean to say you won't gain anything at all with front sway bar upgrade. Also front strut bar is nothing more than just for look or change in performance that is very very hard to even feel. I even much rather to have rear bar from KCmaxx than to have front strut bar at first place. One should also care extreme on highway driving with all these upgrades because your car will response immediately with slight change in steering wheel. That means you should not try to change CDs or playing with ipod, cellphone or similar activities while driving.

My 2 cents...

-
I called my dealer and I have this as well.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:24 PM

I called my dealer and I have this as well.
Perfect....now that means 27mm rear sway bar is standard in SE models? I don't know so I can't tell. But all I can tell is this 27mm rear sway bar is good enough to handle curves. I know mine does pretty good. However it's up to one to replace with progress or nismo. Because progress rear sway bar is almost double in weight then 24mm OEM rear sway bar. For SL models I believe they have rear sway bars with 24mm? and if so then they are perfect candidate to upgrade them with better rear sway bar.

Last edited by KevMaster; 02-23-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:37 PM

Couple more questions

1. Will I be able to reuse the old rear strut mounts?

2. Will I\Should I get new bushings, and what bushings will I need?

3. I know I will need a 4 wheel alignment, but will I need an alignment kit after my car is lowered?
1. You should, if you worry about rusting then get new set from dealer for 10 bucks each?

2. Bushing comes with shocks fits tight but it will fit. If not and you worry then get them from dealer and they are 2 bucks each? you will need total four.

3. Depending on rusting bolts and nuts, it's not a bad idea to get set of camber kit. I would get them from local store with telling them you may have to return this if your original can be resuable.

Getting small parts from delers may not available instantly. You might have to wait few days for them to order for you.

Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrade