6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Moved to Canada, need help with Odometer

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 AM

Moved to Canada, need help with Odometer

As the title says..I recently moved to Canada and bought my Maxima with me. I have completed the import in Canada, installed DRL and passed emmission and safety test. I have to go get the car registered. The odometer is in miles as opposed to KM. I was wondering if I can buy a instrument cluster from ebay or junk yard and do a swap. Will I have to recalibrate the cluster ie, change the km in the cluster to the corresponding km in the car or is the reading stored inside the ecm? If it is stored in the ecm then it should be a simple swap, if not I guess I will have to have a dealer program the new cluster. Any inputs on it? Also when I goto register the car, will they register with miles? I dont want the car to show unaccurate miles on carfax or anything of that sort!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:12 AM

Man, just leave it. Don't waste your time/money swapping out that cluster. Just use that big smarty your mama gave ya and figure out the conversion for mph to kph. You will be fine. As for registering the vehicle, you do not have to change your cluster to get registered.

Anyhoo, doesn't your cluster have both miles and kilometres on it? Mine does.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:33 AM

Not worried about speed limits..KPH in small works. My question was how will it show up in carfax? And when I register the car, do I put miles in registration or KM? I found a bunch of clusters for $50-75. If its a simple swap that does not require any reprogramming from the dealer, I might as well get it done. I can change the cluster myself!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:56 AM

Well, when I register my car, which is annually in NB, all they want to see is that I have valid auto insurance, and I just show them my slip. They don't give a hoot about the mileage or anything else.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:57 AM

Welcome to Canada buddy!

Gas prices and weather suck here (unless you are in Vancouver, then you only have gas prices to live with).

As for the carfax, one of my buddies had this done to a Lexus SUV he bought and from what I recall it was KMs.

Hope this helps man.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:01 PM

out of curiosity which Province? didnt think any required emissions except BC IIRC
Old 04-05-2011, 01:10 PM

I am in London Ontario
Old 04-05-2011, 07:05 PM

Why not do the conversion and in the registration just list it as whatever unit it asks for it. I get cars from Germany in KM for inspections and the machine asks how many miles. I pull out my phone and do the conversion.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:20 PM

If you decide to change the cluster, then the mileage that was shown on the car that the cluster was taken off of will be shown on your car, so yes mileage is stored somewhere in the cluster. This makes it possible (and really easy) to roll back the mileage on your car and since rollbacks are highly illegal I wouldn't recommend touching it. I think theres some sticker you have to get that says what the original mileage was and that you changed the cluster on x date but you'd have to do more research on that, its not something that happens often.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:33 PM

While registering the car I was asked if the speeometer is in miles or KM. I told them miles, and they did the conversion.

Tyutyunnik: I am not looking into any type of odometer fraud. I was just wondering if its not too expensive to change the cluster, I might as well change it. Couple of years down the line, if I sell the car it will be easier. So if I am going to incur the expense later on I might as well get it done now.

macedonian: Thank you for the welcome . I moved from Chicago so the weather is not really bad...

What I am thinking is calling the dealer and asking them how much would it cost if they sold me a cluster or will they be willing that I would install my own cluster and they will program it. In US, I knew this guy that would do the programming and issued a certificate that was legal. (A friend had moved to US with his Canadian car)