6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

spacers need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:16 PM

spacers need advice

so i know there are a few spacer thread here, but i don't know jack about spacers and all the number jargon has me lost. never even thought about using them in the past. but i want a wider track, and a beefier look for my max and it seems spacers are the way to go.

i want to go big but i don't know what is TOO big. some people were saying go 25-30mm but i know it will stick out past the wheel well. This is not a bad thing and is what i want, except i have no idea the travel on the maxima and i don't wanna ruin things when i hit a speed bump or a pot hole.

my questions are;

A: what is the largest size i can go with my fenders rolled. [im on stock wheels (19.5"), and stock suspension, stock height.]

B: If the wheels stick out past the finder, does the maxima have enough travel so that i would damage my finder if i max out on a bump?

C: how do people with wheels that stick out way past the fenders do it without damaging their fenders with every bump.

i've asked many people in person but i haven't gotten a clear cut answer, just guesses and opinions, and and that is not good enough when body damage is the risk.

i don't want mexican lookin wheels, i just want them to stick out from the wheel well about 1/2"-1" (25-35 mm spacers). i just don't know if this is too much for the maxima. so im looking for someone who knows spacers and how they fit the maxima.

thanks.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 05-10-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:23 PM

25 mm is approximately 1 inch (25.4mm=1in) take a ruler with you go out to your car and decide what you want that simple.

/thread
Old 05-10-2011, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
25 mm is approximately 1 inch (25.4mm=1in) take a ruler with you go out to your car and decide what you want that simple.

/thread
no /thread, you didn't answer my question in the least bit

i did take a ruler to it and i like the 1 inch stance. it is what i want. but again, it will stick out past the fender and i don't know if the maxima's shocks have enough travel for the wheel the hit the top of the fender when i hit a bump and cause damage, which is my question. and is why i am asking how far can i go (spacer thickness) before this becomes an issue.

how far can i go WITH my fenders rolled, and how to people with wheels that stick out way past the fender do it?

my ruler can't answer those questions.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 05-10-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:35 PM

Are you retarded? How big is too big is a question that asks for opinions ******** so how are opinions not good enough?

Listen I had 20mm on the rear of my previous 5th gen with 20 inch rims and it rubbed over bumps and if 2 people sat in the rear but it never tore up the fender. Plus wtf you trying to do with your car wanting the wheels to poke out past the fenders?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:38 PM

Oh yea and my car was lowered ~1.5 inches. So on stock height and stock wheels you would never tear up the fenders.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:48 PM

Are you retarded? How big is too big is a question that asks for opinions ******** so how are opinions not good enough?

Listen I had 20mm on the rear of my previous 5th gen with 20 inch rims and it rubbed over bumps and if 2 people sat in the rear but it never tore up the fender. Plus wtf you trying to do with your car wanting the wheels to poke out past the fenders?

calm down man...

i want a wider track so i can take harder corners. i've got the RSB next in line. and im not asking for opinions, im looking for someone who has done a 20 mm, 25mm, 30mm spacer and their experience on it.

like you answered with "Listen I had 20mm on the rear of my previous 5th gen with 20 inch rims"

the problem is this doesn't help me, i have a 6th gen, i have 19 inch rims, im looking for someone who knows how far too far is. i don't think this is too much to ask... im just trying to understand this mod more.... its completely new to me.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 05-10-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:50 PM

Oh yea and my car was lowered ~1.5 inches. So on stock height and stock wheels you would never tear up the fenders.

ok ok, so your saying it doesn't matter how far the wheels stick out, the stock suspension doesn't travel far enough that the wheel raises higher then the fender?
Old 05-11-2011, 01:12 AM

Mexican looking wheels?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by dstruc
Mexican looking wheels?
like this.. i live in a Mexicano dominated community, and i see something like this ona daily basis. fun to look at but not what im aiming for

Last edited by twentyeggs; 05-11-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:06 AM
KC's FINEST

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
so i know there are a few spacer thread here, but i don't know jack about spacers and all the number jargon has me lost. never even thought about using them in the past. but i want a wider track, and a beefier look for my max and it seems spacers are the way to go.

i want to go big but i don't know what is TOO big. some people were saying go 25-30mm but i know it will stick out past the wheel well. This is not a bad thing and is what i want, except i have no idea the travel on the maxima and i don't wanna ruin things when i hit a speed bump or a pot hole.

my questions are;

A: what is the largest size i can go with my fenders rolled. [im on stock wheels (19.5"), and stock suspension, stock height.]

B: If the wheels stick out past the finder, does the maxima have enough travel so that i would damage my finder if i max out on a bump?

C: how do people with wheels that stick out way past the fenders do it without damaging their fenders with every bump.

i've asked many people in person but i haven't gotten a clear cut answer, just guesses and opinions, and and that is not good enough when body damage is the risk.

i don't want mexican lookin wheels, i just want them to stick out from the wheel well about 1/2"-1" (25-35 mm spacers). i just don't know if this is too much for the maxima. so im looking for someone who knows spacers and how they fit the maxima.

thanks.

What stock wheels are 19.5"?
Old 05-11-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by KCMAXX
What stock wheels are 19.5"?
perhaps he meant he is that high off the ground with the stock wheels?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:06 AM
KC's FINEST

Originally Posted by the macedonian
perhaps he meant he is that high and doesn't know how to measure the stock wheels?

FIXED

Spacers are retarded, buy wheels that fit.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by KCMAXX
FIXED

Spacers are retarded, buy wheels that fit.

<-- agree
Old 05-11-2011, 10:53 AM

nissan calls them 19" i just went out there with a measuring tape and it read 19.5" rim to rim. again i don't know what the hell im doing. in the past i just bought aftermarket wheels done and over with, but im back in school with no job and broke.

its a terrible place for me to "settle" due to money constraints when it comes down to modding my car, and working on cars is my ultimate passion so help me out!!! lol only got a year before i can become the automotive sugar daddy again.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 05-11-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:40 AM

I would imagine 25mm spacers will put a strain on the hubs/wheel bearings. Not something you want when living as a broke student.

Also, it doesn't matter if someone has 20" wheels or 10" wheels. The tire size determines whether the tire/wheel will rub.

A: what is the largest size i can go with my fenders rolled. [im on stock wheels (19.5"), and stock suspension, stock height.

10mm spacers get the wheels nice and flush, IMHO.

B: If the wheels stick out past the fender, does the maxima have enough travel so that i would damage my fender if i max out on a bump?

Don't be that guy

Magic camel spit

Last edited by bcampbe7; 05-11-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:45 AM
dot dot dot ...

I've run spacers for years and years, miles and miles... No problems.

Keep in mind this is on a 5th gen chassis.

Winter I use 10mm in front and 15mm in rear (OEM 5th gen 17x7 +40).
Summer I use 5mm in front and 10mm in rear. (Z33 Tracks, 18x8.5 +33).
Summer Option 2 I use 5mm in front, 15mm in rear (17x8, +45).

I only run when I use the Z33 wheels in the rear on 1 side, Progress spring drop.

These are H&R spacers, and all come with hub centric and have their own extended lug nuts (even the 5mm)
Old 05-11-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I've run spacers for years and years, miles and miles... No problems.

Keep in mind this is on a 5th gen chassis.

Winter I use 10mm in front and 15mm in rear (OEM 5th gen 17x7 +40).
Summer I use 5mm in front and 10mm in rear. (Z33 Tracks, 18x8.5 +33).
Summer Option 2 I use 5mm in front, 15mm in rear (17x8, +45).

I only run when I use the Z33 wheels in the rear on 1 side, Progress spring drop.

These are H&R spacers, and all come with hub centric and have their own extended lug nuts (even the 5mm)

doesn't having smaller track in the front give you understeer? i know nissan purposely give the max a little under-steer because its more controllable than over-steer for the AVERAGE consumer. i also want to help minimize this under-steer problem with these spacers.

freeway on/off ramps are fun to bite down on and slingshot around but i have less control with under-steer.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:15 PM

i don't want mexican lookin wheels, i just want them to stick out from the wheel well about 1/2"-1" (25-35 mm spacers)...

thanks.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:55 PM

KC is the man when it comes to wheels. Just listen to what he's got to say.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:10 PM

alright KC what do you got for me?
Old 05-11-2011, 03:15 PM

still haven't gotten a good answer.

if i got 25mm in the rear, and 20mm for the front would i be rubbing?

what about 20mm rear and 20mm in front

and 20mm rear and 15 front.

which combo would rub and which wouldn't.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:15 PM
dot dot dot ...

doesn't having smaller track in the front give you understeer? i know nissan purposely give the max a little under-steer because its more controllable than over-steer for the AVERAGE consumer. i also want to help minimize this under-steer problem with these spacers.

freeway on/off ramps are fun to bite down on and slingshot around but i have less control with under-steer.
At this scale (5-15mm) I have yet to notice a difference.

If you're familiar with the A32/33/34 chassis (somewhat less on the A34, but still relevant) the tires/wheels are tucked in more in the rear than the front. So the offset spacers do not give a staggered look or feel, but better yet, a balanced, more symmetrical look & feel.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:35 PM

OK, Which OEM Wheels do you have? Please post up pics. If you look at my sig I am running infinity M35/45 Sport 19x8.5 wheels. Now they come with a +50 offset which is really high for our 6th and 6.5 gens. I plan to run 20MM spacers on all four wheels, thus giving me a +30 offset (which will make the wheels sit FLUSH with the fender)
from what i gather you want to stick out a little not all mexican like as you put it, however that LOOK of a little poke out, only works (looks good)d depending what wheels you have.

Your homework, take pics of wheels you have and post up
Old 05-11-2011, 08:53 PM

ok ok, so your saying it doesn't matter how far the wheels stick out, the stock suspension doesn't travel far enough that the wheel raises higher then the fender?
Yes

nissan calls them 19" i just went out there with a measuring tape and it read 19.5" rim to rim. again i don't know what the hell im doing. in the past i just bought aftermarket wheels done and over with, but im back in school with no job and broke.

its a terrible place for me to "settle" due to money constraints when it comes down to modding my car, and working on cars is my ultimate passion so help me out!!! lol only got a year before i can become the automotive sugar daddy again.
I really doubt that its your passion since you just went out there and measured an 18" rim as 19.5"

Plain and simple any regularly sold spacer sizes 5-30mm won't poke out your stock wheels past the fender at all, if your passion was actually cars you would understand this. The only way to stick out your wheels is with a nutty *** offset such as the one on the truck pictured above.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:24 AM

Yes

I really doubt that its your passion since you just went out there and measured an 18" rim as 19.5"

Plain and simple any regularly sold spacer sizes 5-30mm won't poke out your stock wheels past the fender at all, if your passion was actually cars you would understand this. The only way to stick out your wheels is with a nutty *** offset such as the one on the truck pictured above.
You are funny, lol. But I think you make a valid point. I don't see him specify exactly what kind of wheels he got. But looking at his car, it says a 2004. Which means it can only be a 17" or 18". So, say it is the 18', weird that he would measure it and it turn out to be 19.5"????

Well, OP, check if you have 18s or something else. Remember to post pics too, so people can see and maybe help you out more.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:16 AM

ok ill go take some pics. i don't know why max king has such a thorny stick up his a** im just trying to ask a question and become more knowledgeable about my car. i've never ever paid attention to my wheels. im a decent mechanic, you can ask the shop that hired me on at 23/hr and has a solid faith in me to work on their costumers vehicles. whenever i bought rims in the past, i saw what i liked, asked the dealer if it would fit, pulled out my cash, and slapped them on. never needed to do a research project on them. and why would that constitute me lying about something i love doing? someone needs a chill pill.

i took a tape measure and measured the diameter of the wheel from rim to rim, and it said 19.5" exactly. excuse me for not knowing this was how to measure a rim. good god....

ill post pics an a few. and thanks for all the help so far, really appreciated.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:56 PM

ok ill go take some pics. i don't know why max king has such a thorny stick up his a** im just trying to ask a question and become more knowledgeable about my car. i've never ever paid attention to my wheels. im a decent mechanic, you can ask the shop that hired me on at 23/hr and has a solid faith in me to work on their costumers vehicles. whenever i bought rims in the past, i saw what i liked, asked the dealer if it would fit, pulled out my cash, and slapped them on. never needed to do a research project on them. and why would that constitute me lying about something i love doing? someone needs a chill pill.

i took a tape measure and measured the diameter of the wheel from rim to rim, and it said 19.5" exactly. excuse me for not knowing this was how to measure a rim. good god....

ill post pics an a few. and thanks for all the help so far, really appreciated.
What size tires do you have? Stock tires for an SE are 245/45/18. The 18 is the rim size. The last 2 digits of any tire size is the size of the rim they fit on. Just tell us what size your tires are.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:16 PM

yea my wheels are stock, tires are stock size.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:19 PM

there, a bunch of pictures, hope this helps.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by officerfrasher
What size tires do you have? Stock tires for an SE are 245/45/18. The 18 is the rim size. The last 2 digits of any tire size is the size of the rim they fit on. Just tell us what size your tires are.
thanks man, well that is really good to know now. i appreciate it. i just never had to tell the tire shop my size rim, leaving me no reason to have ever looked into it.

sucks this forum needs to be so hostile toward people who don't know everything about everything. i didn't mean to offend anyone because i didn't know what size my rims were, or that a tape measure doesn't work for that purpose.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:22 PM

there, a bunch of pictures, hope this helps.
I don't know anything about spacers either, but this solves the wheel size problem. Those are 18" wheels.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by officerfrasher
I don't know anything about spacers either, but this solves the wheel size problem. Those are 18" wheels.

yeah, im not getting any real answers with this thread. at this rate im going to have to get a bunch of people to sit on my trunk and in my car to measure the weight bearing travel on my struts. I really do not believe max king's word on the travel being less than 1.5 there is between the apex of my wheel and the fender. if he was right about that then there would be no reason to roll fenders not to mention an uncomfortable ride.

Twentyeggs:ok ok, so your saying it doesn't matter how far the wheels stick out, the stock suspension doesn't travel far enough that the wheel raises higher then the fender?
2000_MAXIMA_KING: Yes
anyone else wanna debunk this?
Old 05-12-2011, 01:50 PM
dot dot dot ...

Why would you want your tires to stick out further than your fenders?
Old 05-12-2011, 02:28 PM

Do not fall in love with more than 10mm on front and 15mm on rear wheel spacers. Rest is up to you.....also do not cheap out on anything else except for hubcentric spacers only.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by KevMaster
Do not fall in love with more than 10mm on front and 15mm on rear wheel spacers. Rest is up to you.....also do not cheap out on anything else except for hubcentric spacers only.
Does 15 in the rear actually make it wider than the front? Is this done for looks (the look of wider in the rear than the front) or does it have to do with the way the fenders are set up. Are the rear fenders wider than the front?
Old 05-12-2011, 03:00 PM

ok im going to fully explain myself once and for all on why i am interested in this so much.

Why would you want your tires to stick out further than your fenders?
just by 1/4 to 1/2 inch at most. im trying to get the widest track possible without it looking bad. A: more stability in cornering, B: imo i think tires that protrude slightly past the fenders looks good.

my corvette rims sick out about an inch and it looks awesome. so im looking for something like this for my maxima except im having problems ensuring info on travel distance, rubbing, fenders ect..

i asked a similar question on the vette forums and showed the rims i was looking at, and one guy who was local had the same rims and told me to come by and look at them to see if they rubbed for myself. they didn't and that was all the answering i needed.

so i try and ask a similar question, involving the same concerns (fender damage, and rubbing) on the maxima forum and no one has an answer for me. yet.. still hoping someone knows enough about spacers to give me some answers.

i really wanna just go get rims and leave spacers for the birds... but i don't have my job anymore because im back in school and don't grad for 2 years. that is just too long to wait to do anything, especially since working on cars is what i love to do. so im trying to do things cheaply, and spacers will give me what im looking for. (for now)

when i grad, and im getting those 6 thousand dollar/month as a starting salary promised to me by the scholarship program im in, i will be going ape sh** in the modding department, and i will become much more useful on this .org as i am on the vette forum after doing a custom twin turbo kit when i was working and able to afford it last year. [ btw im going to 16 psi and tuning it tomorrow!! cant wait... ill make videos if yall want to see what i've done so far] so, About 80% of the money i make now (which is about nothing) goes into modding my maxima. after i grad, that number will be reduced to maybe 50% so i will be putting a 2-3 grand every month until i run out of things to do and need to buy another car.

so if you guys can help me now, ill return the favor when i begin the journey of learning by way of trial and error, in making my max one of the fastest in the world. I absolutely love sleeper cars, in fact more than i do bonafied race cars like the corvette. i still have a lot to learn with import cars but we all need to start somewhere right? I want to own my own performance shop like my pop's and make a career out of racing. its what i was born to do. but for now getting a degree is my golden ticket in acquiring the capital needed and entering into that world. So scratch my back and ill scratch yours later on down the line.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 05-12-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by KevMaster

oh god no, i will for sure. there's no way i would get anything other than hucentric. i don't even understand why they would make bolt on spacers without aligning with the hub. terrible idea.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:17 PM
dot dot dot ...

If I were clearing 6k/month, I'd throw my Maxima in the trash.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:55 PM

If I were clearing 6k/month, I'd throw my Maxima in the trash.
ill be an RN-BSN, im in my third semester nursing program. Nurses make about 80 grand a year as a starting salary right outa school. my buddy who grad last semester got 86K a year job at the VA. not to mention im a dude, male nurse= very valuable, due to our physical ability over women which is highly needed to move patients around, carry out physical therapy, passive ROM, the staff diversity, and the higher likelihood of male nurses going back to masters and doctorate school. it's also not bad working around a female dominated work space . that salary doesn't include the almost guaranteed overtime. nurses can easily make 100 grand a year including overtime at $55/hr. so yes, i can afford to dump into my cars in the future.

but why would you throw your max away if you made that?? i mean yea, ill probably get another car a few years after i grad, im interested in the 2011 Infinity M56. but im much more interested in making and driving sleeper cars and the maxima is a great platform to build a sleeper on.. i donno, i guess i get kicks out of surprising the crap out of people who think they could take you in their nicer much more expensive sports car. im addicted to it..

Last edited by twentyeggs; 05-12-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:10 PM
KC's FINEST

Make me an offer on these: http://forums.maxima.org/wheels-tire...eagle-f1s.html

Im tired of all the PM's on these damn things.

Quick Reply: spacers need advice