6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Sticky caliper

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 07:33 PM

Sticky caliper

Been noticing weird noise for a couple of days w the car and today bad wheel vibration and burnt smell, caliper was really hot, disc burning, and pads smoking.... tried to move the caliper in and out a bit prying against the wheel with a metal bar to "free it up a bit", seemed to work, drove home, seemed better. (front driver side)

I plan to disassemble it tomorrow and check, but im a bit confused. I clean the pins and lube every year (since I got the car 3 years ago, it's 2004) Maybe it's been a year and a half, I dont know, but still, seize 1 year after being greased.

Maybe it's the piston, i'll check, I don't know. If it's the pins well, remove rust and grease, but if it's the piston that seems stiff, what about pushing it a bit out, then in with clamp, then out, then in, etc, to "free it a bit"? Try this, or just replace caliper if it seems to be from the piston, cause problem will come back?

I know it's pointless because I'll check tomorrow, but what's your guess on this?

Last edited by Kryogen; 05-16-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:18 AM

Yep.. If it's the piston you have two options. Buy a rebuilt kit and do it yourself or buy another caliper... When you compress the piston, make sure you take the top off of the brake reservoir so you dont damage the brake master cylinder's seals...
Old 05-17-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kryogen
Been noticing weird noise for a couple of days w the car and today bad wheel vibration and burnt smell, caliper was really hot, disc burning, and pads smoking.... tried to move the caliper in and out a bit prying against the wheel with a metal bar to "free it up a bit", seemed to work, drove home, seemed better. (front driver side)

I plan to disassemble it tomorrow and check, but im a bit confused. I clean the pins and lube every year (since I got the car 3 years ago, it's 2004) Maybe it's been a year and a half, I dont know, but still, seize 1 year after being greased.

Maybe it's the piston, i'll check, I don't know. If it's the pins well, remove rust and grease, but if it's the piston that seems stiff, what about pushing it a bit out, then in with clamp, then out, then in, etc, to "free it a bit"? Try this, or just replace caliper if it seems to be from the piston, cause problem will come back?

I know it's pointless because I'll check tomorrow, but what's your guess on this?
I drive a Gen 5.5 ('02) and I had a similar problem. I took the caliper off and found the brake piston's rubber boot had gotten caught between the piston and the caliper. I also found everything was dry as a bone. I used penetrating fluid and grease on the outside of the piston and completely removed the rubber boot since it was ripped. (not the best way to leave things, but that's where we are now). I lubed up the pad sliders and everything else that moves in or aound the caliper and now have no problems (it's been a couple of months).

One more thing, if your caliper is like mine, you need to spin the piston back into place, using a clamp will not do anything but **** you off. Hope this helps.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:59 PM

Ok disassembled front caliper. Was actually the lower slide pin (the one with the rubber around it) that was kinda "glued there".

Had to take the torque plate off to remove the slide pin with a vise grip. For some reason, there seemed to be no corrosion (greased it with caliper grease less than 2 years ago), but the slide pin was just like "glued" there with the rubber. Its like the grease and rubber melted into a sticky POS. Anyway.

Bought some heavy duty purple ceramic ultra high and low temp caliper grease, well see. resists way higher temps than the green one. Pushed the piston out partially against a 2x4, cleaned it w brake cleaner, lubed it, pushed it back in w c clamp(was not the problem but at that point, it wasnt really longer to check it...). Piston dust boot is really starting to show its age though, I wonder how much longer it will last without drying too much. Applied some grease to it.

Cleaned slide pins, holes, lubed all that, brake pad slides. everything glides like a newborn baby. Just did the one that was stuck, ill do the other 3 this weekend.

Where would you guys buy replacement rubber set for the caliper in case dust boot goes bad? I dont really want the piston, im just looking for a cheap rubber kit that will fit the front caliper. Nissan asks 75$, eh.

Last edited by Kryogen; 05-18-2011 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:42 AM

Ok disassembled front caliper. Was actually the lower slide pin (the one with the rubber around it) that was kinda "glued there".

Had to take the torque plate off to remove the slide pin with a vise grip. For some reason, there seemed to be no corrosion (greased it with caliper grease less than 2 years ago), but the slide pin was just like "glued" there with the rubber. Its like the grease and rubber melted into a sticky POS. Anyway.

Bought some heavy duty purple ceramic ultra high and low temp caliper grease, well see. resists way higher temps than the green one. Pushed the piston out partially against a 2x4, cleaned it w brake cleaner, lubed it, pushed it back in w c clamp(was not the problem but at that point, it wasnt really longer to check it...). Piston dust boot is really starting to show its age though, I wonder how much longer it will last without drying too much. Applied some grease to it.

Cleaned slide pins, holes, lubed all that, brake pad slides. everything glides like a newborn baby. Just did the one that was stuck, ill do the other 3 this weekend.

Where would you guys buy replacement rubber set for the caliper in case dust boot goes bad? I dont really want the piston, im just looking for a cheap rubber kit that will fit the front caliper. Nissan asks 75$, eh.
I'm showing a replacement seal kit for a 07-08 (assuming 04-06 is the same?) front caliper is about $28, P/N 41120-2Y085
Old 05-22-2011, 04:28 PM

The slide pins were at fault. For some reason, the rubber part of the lower slide pins seems swollen and gets stuck. Pin doesn slide, brake pad rubs.

I removed all 4 rubber bushings. Now it all glides smooth.

I think those parts are just there for noise reduction. ive read a lot of ppl having same issue and saying no problem without the bushings.

I think the permatex caliper grease (safe for all rubber) actually ruins the rubber bushing and makes it swell and stick. Maybe OEM grease doesnt do that. Anyway, no more rubber bushings for me, all smooth now.

Last edited by Kryogen; 05-23-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tell__The__Truth
did you spray paint the pads?
Nice BS posting 50 crap replies in a day man.

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?searchid=1874279
Old 05-25-2011, 05:04 AM

Why you so cynical? Don't be, it's a relevant question...even if you don't agree with it.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:44 AM

Actually, I'm starting to see what you mean, this guy's been bringing a bunch of old threads to life with BS posts...

Tell__The__Truth, you should lay back and partisipate with less zeal...
Old 07-27-2011, 08:40 AM

Ok, so it seems that using any lubricant that is not "silicon" will swell and jam the rubber bushings on the pins......

I used permatex green brake grease (safe for rubber) -> scrap bushing
used permatex ceramic brake grease (safe for rubber) -> scrap bushing.

Thats BS marketing. They state safe for all rubber, and next thing you know, 2 weeks later, your bushing is completely glued inside the caliper slide channel.

So now I have to order new slide pin bushings, and I'll make sure I use only silicone brake grease this time, inside those channels.

Their brake grease is fine for the back of the pads, shims, contact points, etc. Just dont use it on the slide pins....

I removed all rubber bushings when they got jammed, and now everything is smooth. My issue is that I think that I am getting caliper clunking because the lower front slide pin has a LARGE cut for the bushing, and if it isnt there, I think the pin rocks up and down and allows the caliper to bang.....

There are 2 options I consider :

1- getting only slide pins without the slot for the rubber. (like two upper pins) and be done with that rubber bushing issue.

2- getting replacement bushings for the lower pin, and use silicone grease only there. Avoid solvent, any cleaner, or any grease that is not silicone on those.....

Your ideas ?
Old 08-06-2011, 05:37 PM

replaced bushing. car still clunks. confirmed its not the calipers. therefore it seems you could go without the bushings....