6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Locating the catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 05:34 AM

Locating the catalytic converter

Does anyone have a photo of the catalytic converter and its location on the 6th gen
Old 08-06-2011, 07:12 AM

no ****, just google "locating the catalytic converter" ? You dont need to ask questions like that that are basic knowledge covered by 1000 pages on google.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Kryogen
no ****, just google "locating the catalytic converter" ? You dont need to ask questions like that that are basic knowledge covered by 1000 pages on google.
A most unhelpful response. Obviously you don't know where it's located either.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:29 AM

Well I think I gave you an appropriate answer. Just friggen google it and you will know.

Will an admin lock this thread or something before I ask where the mufflers are, and what they look like?

Ok let me give you some more help.

Open internet explorer
Type www.google.com
Type "catalytic converter"
Click on the image tab at the top left.

Google states "About 1,460,000 results"

Look at the first 100 pictures.

If you dont have a clue by then, I think you should forget about understanding how your car works. sorry.

Last edited by Kryogen; 08-06-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:39 AM

Ok since you really seem to be inapt at gathering basic information on the internet by yourself, I will give you more help. I did a simple search on google "where is the catalytic converter located".

got this : http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter.htm
and this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

Do you still need more help locating the catalytic converter or we are done?
Old 08-06-2011, 08:08 AM

The same can be said for most of the threads on just about every forum. No need to rip a guy for asking a simple question even if you do consider it trivial.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by LIMaxima
The same can be said for most of the threads on just about every forum. No need to rip a guy for asking a simple question even if you do consider it trivial.
+10 This is on the money , his first instinct is always to bash so dont mind him , when ever you have a question just come on here and ask it , it dont matter how easy it is for some of us , it may not be so easy for you .

Dont mind kro whatever the longer you around the more you get to know who help and who dont.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:23 AM

Ok since you really seem to be inapt at gathering basic information on the internet by yourself, I will give you more help. I did a simple search on google "where is the catalytic converter located".

got this : http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter.htm
and this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

Do you still need more help locating the catalytic converter or we are done?
i thought this was a MAXIMA forum for MAXIMA enthusiasts???? if your going to help the guy out at least give him a picture of a MAXIMA CC
Old 08-06-2011, 08:45 AM

Well I think I gave you an appropriate answer. Just friggen google it and you will know.

Will an admin lock this thread or something before I ask where the mufflers are, and what they look like?

Ok let me give you some more help.

Open internet explorer
Type www.google.com
Type "catalytic converter"
Click on the image tab at the top left.

Google states "About 1,460,000 results"

Look at the first 100 pictures.

If you dont have a clue by then, I think you should forget about understanding how your car works. sorry.
Man, this is really laughable! You must have been very poor answering questions at school. My question was on catalyst converters on the 6th gen, and not generically on the CC. Now open up your almighty google again and tell me what link I should go to. And for goodness sake I wasn't asking how the CC works.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I dont have a picture, but you have three. Two at the manifold with O2 sensors before and after each. Then one under the floor board (I think), just after both pipes come together. It is cone shaped on both ends. Then it goes back to the resonator. Looking at the FSM it rally doesnt identify the third one. But if you look in the engine controls section, it shows one between the pre-cats and the muffler.

I was looking at mine yesterday and was not sure the third one was even a cat. (and I am still not sure after searching yesterday and today!). There is no O2 sensor downstream of it.

on edit: See attached.
Exhaust layout1.pdf

Last edited by sparky1562; 08-06-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:56 AM

no point posting if you're not going to help.

but yes, what sparky said. the o2's are usually near the cats. the 3rd one isn't metered though, and is even deleted when you get aftermarket y-pipes.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by sparky1562
I dont have a picture, but you have three. Two at the manifold with O2 sensors before and after each. Then one under the floor board (I think), just after both pipes come together. It is cone shaped on both ends. Then it goes back to the resonator. Looking at the FSM it rally doesnt identify the third one. But if you look in the engine controls section, it shows one between the pre-cats and the muffler.

I was looking at mine yesterday and was not sure the third one was even a cat. (and I am still not sure after searching yesterday and today!). There is no O2 sensor downstream of it.

on edit: See attached.
Attachment 2254
Thanks for the response, very much in the spirit of the org. As a matter of fact, I have the FSM and I was just casually going through it yesterday when I found out that I had erroneously thought the cone-shaped tube was my cat. Yes, there are two cats (which seem to me peculiar, thought cars had one cat), located in unconventional positions (again, I thought cats were centred underneath the car). I checked Nissan Parts and that cone-shaped tube is called "TUBE ASSY-EXHAUST, FRONT". Just to clarify, I actually googled 6th gen maxima cats, but no specific information. That was why I opened the thread, for the org members to actually confirm that the cone-shaped tube is no cat. Unfortunately it was kryogen's unhelpful response that came first.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In the US, the latest model years have to have the two cats as close to the exhaust manifold as possible to meet our stringent emissions. The hotter the exhaust gas, the better the cat works.

I am still not convinced what the cone shaped piece is. Hopefully someone that knows for sure will anser that question.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:29 PM

well its the cat. the 2 before are precats.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:55 AM

well its the cat. the 2 before are precats.
lol. wrong answer.