6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Headunit Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:57 PM

Headunit Help

Hey guys. Use to have a 98 max just upgraded to an 08 se. the stock radio is.... just bad. its non bose. i have a single din kenwood but i dont know what i need to install it besides metra 99-7421. which wiring harness' do i need? also, do i need to get nird-01 in order to keep my info?
should i just sell the kenwood and get a double din? are the speakers amped from factory? anybody know the wattage on the stock speakers? is there a write up on how to get the stock HU out? any info is appreciated.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by trinking
Hey guys. Use to have a 98 max just upgraded to an 08 se. the stock radio is.... just bad. its non bose. i have a single din kenwood but i dont know what i need to install it besides metra 99-7421. which wiring harness' do i need? also, do i need to get nird-01 in order to keep my info?
should i just sell the kenwood and get a double din? are the speakers amped from factory? anybody know the wattage on the stock speakers? is there a write up on how to get the stock HU out? any info is appreciated.
Get the metra 99-7421 kit

get metra 70-7552 wire kit or from flea-bay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Radio...s#ht_751wt_651

i don't think you can live without the stock screen thats there... since it does give information...
since you have non-bose system the speakers should not be amped and also the speakers are about 20 watts rms if you are lucky, 50 watts peak...

i have an 06.. different look, same non bose application... no amps.. only thing you may have to check for is if your two speakers on the rear deck has a sub-processor ...meaning you only get bass out of those two.. there is a signal processor mounted under the rear deck.. look from back of car(open trunk) and pull down liner from bottom of the rear deck to check.. it should almost be the same with my 06, don't know if nissan changed it up...but you have to figure out how to wire that up..

hit this site for wire diagram: http://www.modifiedlife.com/2008-nis...-instructions/

also good luck.. hope that helps
Old 06-22-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by chris350
i have an 06.. different look, same non bose application... no amps.. only thing you may have to check for is if your two speakers on the rear deck has a sub-processor ...meaning you only get bass out of those two.. there is a signal processor mounted under the rear deck.. look from back of car(open trunk) and pull down liner from bottom of the rear deck to check.. it should almost be the same with my 06, don't know if nissan changed it up...but you have to figure out how to wire that up..

hit this site for wire diagram: http://www.modifiedlife.com/2008-nis...-instructions/
definitely helps man. thanks. i've never had to deal with a sub processor, any idea of how i'd handle that? i also saw something about an antenna adapter from metra, is it necessary? i know the 06 dash is different from the 08, anybody wanna let me know how to get the stock HU out?
Old 06-22-2011, 09:58 AM

Depending on what your looking for...

If you are thinking of getting a whole new set up, i would go to crutchfield. If you buy a head unit off of them they GIVE you your wire harness, fit plate, antenna jack and helpful instructions. Also their customer service dept. is great. Zthey answer any and all questions.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:49 AM

To retain the drivers information screen you will need the NIRD-01. The NIRD also serves as the power and speaker harness. In addition to the metra kit, you will also need the nissan antenna adapter, steering wheel control module if your new head unit supports steering wheel controls and you are planning on keeping them. As far as the amp in the trunk for the 6x9's just make sure you connect the blue wire on the antenna adapter it it and the amp for the FM antenna in the rear window will get power. No idea of the wattage rateing on the stock speakers but they should be fine with the any aftermarket head unit.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:43 AM

i've looked at some stuff on crutchfield, ebay, and other audio sites and just laid out what i think ill go with. so ive got what i need for harness', installation kits,etc. now here's what im thinking..i dont think i wanna go with a sub. so let me know what you guys think of this setup:

HU: i own a brand new kenwood x895. so either keep that or go with a kenwood dpx503.

fronts components: alpine spr60c, boston acoustics sr60, or Image Dynamics CTX65CS

or non component fronts and stock tweeter: Massive Audio RX 6, Focal 165 CA1, Image Dynamics CX64 v.2, Image Dynamics CTX65, Boston Acoustics SR65, or Alpine SPR-60.

rears: keep it stock just for rear fill and put more money towards the fronts, Boston Acoustics SR95, Image Dynamics CTX69, or Alpine SPR-69.

amps: i have no idea. i've never added an amp to interior speakers so im clueless on that.

whats your guys opinions on what i've listed? what would you go with out of what i've selected? recommend anything better in the same price range? looking to spend no more then $500 on interior speakers and amp.

by the way..i havent been on this site in 5 years since i sold my 98 maxima and its still the best car related forum on the web. i had a honda and they have the worst forums and members that i've ever seen. makes you appreciate maxima.org that much more.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:23 PM

I would focus most of your $$$ on your front stage speakers and a good amp. The rears are only to fill in. Im running Hertz MLK frontstage, 2 RE SE subs, and eliminated the rear deck speakers
Old 06-22-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by hero782
I would focus most of your $$$ on your front stage speakers and a good amp. The rears are only to fill in. Im running Hertz MLK frontstage, 2 RE SE subs, and eliminated the rear deck speakers
i dont want to get subs though so im looking to get a good amount of bass from the interior speakers. im not looking to win any competitions plus there's gonna be a car seat in there soon too. whats a good amp to run all the speakers off of at a decent price? do i have to run all new wires to amp the interior speakers?
Old 06-22-2011, 02:38 PM

You can put 2 8" woofers in the rear deck instead of 6x9. Whats your budget for the amp?
Old 06-22-2011, 02:50 PM

i dont want to get subs though so im looking to get a good amount of bass from the interior speakers. im not looking to win any competitions plus there's gonna be a car seat in there soon too. whats a good amp to run all the speakers off of at a decent price? do i have to run all new wires to amp the interior speakers?
okay bro i sent you a pm on some equipment im selling...and watch I did this before I went all out with subs and amps...So i got a set of components for the front and the same model coaxials for the rear...but when hooking to the amp hook them together making it a 2 ohm load. So all 4 speakers where connected to only 2 outputs on the amp. Then I got a pair of 8 inch RE REX Subs hooked them up on the rear deck taking off the 6x9's and hooked them up on the other channels on the amp...its kinda complicated but with the amp i mentioned to you it can handle the loads it is a very hefty amp.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by hero782
You can put 2 8" woofers in the rear deck instead of 6x9. Whats your budget for the amp?
i was thinking 400 for the interior speakers and like 200 for an amp. lookin for a used one. how can u put 2 8's in the rear deck? do they just mount right up?
Old 06-22-2011, 03:11 PM

i was thinking 400 for the interior speakers and like 200 for an amp. lookin for a used one. how can u put 2 8's in the rear deck? do they just mount right up?
Make a lil baffle and that's it or just get 1 12...
Old 06-22-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by cheese20323
Make a lil baffle and that's it or just get 1 12...
sorry for my stupidity but whats a baffle? would i have to buy free air subs or whatever they're called?
Old 06-22-2011, 04:49 PM

sorry for my stupidity but whats a baffle? would i have to buy free air subs or whatever they're called?
Baffle is like a lil box...it'd be better if you just make a box in the trunk will prob sound better the subs are like 90 for the pair in ebay
Old 06-22-2011, 05:15 PM

This is how 1hawaii50 has his 8" subs

You can pm for more info, he's a regular on my6geth.org
Old 07-13-2011, 03:22 PM

ok got my head unit, front speakers, amp, metra dash kit, antenna adapter, and wire harness. anything else? guess ill need speaker wire. any pointers on getting the old radio out? how did everyone run their new speaker wire?
Old 07-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok got my head unit, front speakers, amp, metra dash kit, antenna adapter, and wire harness. anything else? guess ill need speaker wire. any pointers on getting the old radio out? how did everyone run their new speaker wire?
I've yet to swap out my radio in my Max, but I have most of my parts and some previous experience. There are some basics you need to cover before you attempt this. Or you can always go to a pro, watch and learn.

From what I've read to date: Your front speakers need to have a 2" mounting depth or you'll need a spacer. (FYI) From the parts you listed, your missing an Amp Wiring kit. From the size of your setup you'll be fine with an 8-Guage kit. Your also missing RCA cable, which can sometimes be included with the amp kit. IMO - I would search/find a high quality RCA cable since this is an analog connection. (Grounded/Shielded, Skip the Monster Cable) Then yes, some speaker cable. The biggest guage that will fit your amp and speakers. The bigger the guage, the better power you'll get to them. (Power = Clarity)

Then I would find the 07 Service Manual, you can find a .PDF version of it online for free. That will breakdown the steps to remove the radio. You can also search the net for other posts about the subject.

And finally, some wiring 101. Always run the power cable on one side of the car to the trunk or wherever you mount your amp. (Usually on the battery side) And run the speaker wires from the amp back to the front on the opposite side of the car. Power cables and speakers wires don't mix, ever.

Oh I almost forgot, FYI if your going to use a harness. Your going to need to locate the remote wire on it and splice into it for your amp. It's a low volt line that comes on and off with the cars ignition. The amp wire kit should have a small gauge wire specifically for that.

Hope any of that helps.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:40 AM

thanks for the help.

ok so the headunit is in but i'm not getting anything from the stock subs. can i run them off the new HU? if so, what wires do i have to connect?

Im going to run the stock speakers for now because it's to damn hot to do everything in one day.

A quick answer is appreciated since my dash is just sitting on my passenger seat. thanks.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:06 AM

thanks for the help.

ok so the headunit is in but i'm not getting anything from the stock subs. can i run them off the new HU? if so, what wires do i have to connect?

Im going to run the stock speakers for now because it's to damn hot to do everything in one day.

A quick answer is appreciated since my dash is just sitting on my passenger seat. thanks.
Everything else works? Maybe its a bad connection or something. Its kind of hard because i think you told me you have the stock bose so it goes HU to Amp then to speakers maybe the unit is just not letting any bass to go to the speakers because speakers are not meant for bass I doubt this...maybe if you got your rear deck theres no sound?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:42 AM

its a non bose HU. there was another connector going to the stock HU with two wires which im assuming are for the stock subs. just not sure how to hook them up.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:53 AM

also the antenna adapter had a blue wire coming off it. i wasnt sure where to connect it so i didnt. now my radio only plays two stations. where does that wire hook up to?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:58 AM

also the antenna adapter had a blue wire coming off it. i wasnt sure where to connect it so i didnt. now my radio only plays two stations. where does that wire hook up to?
power for the antenna....so your car has an amp but its non bose?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:16 PM

ok so where do i hook up the blue wire too?

it does have an amp. its in the back deck
Old 07-26-2011, 01:05 PM

ok so where do i hook up the blue wire too?

it does have an amp. its in the back deck
It should be on the wiring harness same wire color blue solid blue or its labeled antenna. And i thought the non bose had no amp....maybe on the bottom it says bost and your stock hu is just not bose...
Old 07-27-2011, 08:44 AM

08 has stock subs with the non Bose system.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:53 AM

Guessing you got this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAR-R...ht_2508wt_1165

this could clear up some questions....
http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ind-radio.html
Old 07-27-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by cheese20323
not that exact one, i have this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAR-R...item53e87a2f6f

do i need this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Amp-I...item3368b24e16

in that thread, the third pic, what is that connector for? im thinking for the subs

also my info screen does not line up properly at all. anybody else have this problem? i guess i got a ****ty dash kit.

Last edited by trinking; 07-27-2011 at 07:33 PM.