6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

P1283, source?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 09:00 AM

P1283, source?

A few weeks ago I got the service engine light and pulled the code being P1283. It just so happened that I was getting the oil changed the next day and while the car was hoisted, it was noticed my flex pipes were done for and leaking.
I had the flex pipes replaced and within 10 kms the service engine light went out. The light stayed out for about 2 weeks and has come back on this week.
When the light comes on, I can clear it with my diagnostic tool, and then I could drive the car all day without the light coming back on as long as I didn't shut off the car. If I shut off the car, within a few miles after starting it again, the car will throw the P1283 code.
I took it to a different muffler shop to see if maybe there was another leak ( didn't want to take it to the place where I got the flex pipes as they may try to deny they screwed up the job ). I'm told there are no leaks, so now I am left to wonder what the next step is diagnosing this is.
It does mention air/fuel in the diagnostic tool, so I'm assuming O2 sensor, but which one?

Anyone ever have this code and found a fix?
Old 06-26-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by drose
A few weeks ago I got the service engine light and pulled the code being P1283. It just so happened that I was getting the oil changed the next day and while the car was hoisted, it was noticed my flex pipes were done for and leaking.
I had the flex pipes replaced and within 10 kms the service engine light went out. The light stayed out for about 2 weeks and has come back on this week.
When the light comes on, I can clear it with my diagnostic tool, and then I could drive the car all day without the light coming back on as long as I didn't shut off the car. If I shut off the car, within a few miles after starting it again, the car will throw the P1283 code.
I took it to a different muffler shop to see if maybe there was another leak ( didn't want to take it to the place where I got the flex pipes as they may try to deny they screwed up the job ). I'm told there are no leaks, so now I am left to wonder what the next step is diagnosing this is.
It does mention air/fuel in the diagnostic tool, so I'm assuming O2 sensor, but which one?

Anyone ever have this code and found a fix?
Here's a TSB on the code:

MUST CLEAR SELF-LEARNING AFTER REPAIRING DTC P1273/P1283 OR P1274/P1284 AIR FUEL LEAN OR RICH SHIFT
APPLIED VEHICLES: All Nissan’s with DTC’s P1273 / P1274 / P1283 / P1284
IF YOU CONFIRM:
A MIL “ON” with any of the following DTC(s) stored:
• P1273 / P1283 (A/F Sensor Bank-1 / 2 —Lean Monitor)
• P1274 / P1284 (A/F Sensor Bank-1 / 2 —Rich Monitor)
ACTIONS:
1. Repair the vehicle as necessary.
• Refer to ASIST for diagnostic and repair information.
2. Clear the engine ECU Self-Learning.
IMPORTANT: If Self-Learning Is Not Cleared:
• The DTC may be stored again; even if no malfunction exists.
• This could result in the customer returning with the same incident (“come-back” repair).

Perhaps all you need is to "Clear the engine ECU Self-Learning."
Old 06-27-2011, 08:45 AM

Thank you for the info Costee. Any idea how one goes about doing this? Is it just a matter of unhooking the battery for a time period, or is this something the dealer has to do for you?
Old 06-27-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by drose
Thank you for the info Costee. Any idea how one goes about doing this? Is it just a matter of unhooking the battery for a time period, or is this something the dealer has to do for you?
The service manual suggests the dealer, with the Nissan scan tool called Consult II.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:49 AM

is there a way to do this without going to the dealer?