6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Replacing blown(?) struts, KYB GR2/Progress, what else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 12:41 PM

Replacing blown(?) struts, KYB GR2/Progress, what else?

I want to do everything at once and make sure I get it right. Ive been wanting to drop my ride for awhile. A few things:

1) I finally pulled the trigger because Im assuming my rear struts are blown. It squeeks like an old rusty pickup everytime I go over a bump or hit a dip, no matter the speed, and I bottom out all the time. The ride isnt bouncing though. I push down on the corners and it doesnt bounce or anything. The ride is rough as sh*t too, and I believe getting worse. So, Im assuming springs or struts are shot, or both. My buddy said he didnt see any leaking though...but I figured hey, Ive been wanting to do this anyway, so I just bought new kyb-gr2s all around and a set of Progress Springs.

2) Should I be replacing anything else while Im doing this? Could this indicate another problem that I should check before paying to have my new shocks/struts/springs installed?

3) Ive noticed Im also going to need new dustboots, suggestions? What should I make sure of when buying them (zipties, etc.)? Do I have to cut anything (bumpstops?) to account for the Progress drop? How would I tell if I have to replace the mounts or not?

Ive read some older posts, but werent for 6th gen; and Im no mechanic so Im not sure what applies and what doesn't. I change my own oil and brake pads; but thats about it. I do have a buddy who's pretty mechanically inclined, he's just real busy and I dont want to bother him until I have everything together and know what I need to do.

I appreciate all of your guys' input. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:29 AM

depending how many km (or miles you have) chances are it wouldnt hurt to do the dust boots if there damaged, or ripped up, if not i would leave them, the strut mounts i would replace cause everything new is good front or rear. the fronts were known for being bad making a sqeeking or a boing! noise.

you also may have s-links (sway bar end links) that could be done and causing a knocking noise that i am pretty sure on the 6th gens are attached to the struts should be replaced if they have play, also the rear sway bar bushings are known for crapping out which would give a hollow knocking noise.

hope this helps.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:48 PM

You know I did hear that Boing! noise before, it came from the rear though. Is that from bad mounts?
Old 07-09-2011, 03:37 PM

So I replaced front mounts, kyb gr2 all around, new boots, progress springs. Guy doing install said rear mounts were fine and didn't need replacing. Still squeeks when going over bumps, backing out of driveway, sounds like jumping on a crappy old spring mattress. What is it?
Old 07-10-2011, 05:59 AM

buy a can of silicon lube spray and spray all the rubber you see., and where it contacts metal. Thats how I fixed my squeaks. When I do the front job next week, I'll spray everything. If theres no lube, rubber on rubber squeaks....
Old 07-10-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kryogen
buy a can of silicon lube spray and spray all the rubber you see., and where it contacts metal. Thats how I fixed my squeaks. When I do the front job next week, I'll spray everything. If theres no lube, rubber on rubber squeaks....
+1