6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Messed up my bumper!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 03:54 PM

Messed up my bumper!

So like I idiot I backed up into a trailer. Little dent on the back and mine is a 08 with parking seņors on the back. Dose anybody know if I hve to replace the whole back bumper or can they pop it out and paint it? Thanks in advance for any advice on this.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:52 PM

you cant pop out a dent in plastic. you can heat it up, roll it out, bondo or sand out the scratches, and repaint.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 06-27-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
you cant pop out a dent in plastic. you can heat it up, roll it out, bondo or sand out the scratches, and repaint.
+1......
Old 06-26-2011, 05:57 PM

Dose bondo look like crap?
Old 06-26-2011, 05:59 PM

not if you do it right, the problem is since the bumper is so flexible if you hit something again the bondo will flex and crack. but as long as you don't hit anything you should not be able to tell anything ever happened.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 06-27-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My friends, you do NOT use Bondo on a bumper cover! You use a special semi-liquid two part filler that is specifically designed for bumpers, and flexes just like the rest of the bumper. It hardens in half an hour after the two components are mixed together (use a putty knife) and is quite sandable. You can find the small size at a body shop supply for about $13.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:04 PM

Right on. Thank you for giving me some pointers. I don't think your eggs are rotten anymore btw how much do you think these guys are going to charge me? I was thinking about going to Nissan dealer first tommorow.. Then a few other local places here in Bloomington Illinois ..
Old 06-26-2011, 06:07 PM

I'm about to go see cars 2 with the girl freind. What if there's hot maxi in the movie? Lol that would make the movie worth seeing
Old 06-26-2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by lobewiper
My friends, you do NOT use Bondo on a bumper cover! You use a special semi-liquid two part filler that is specifically designed for bumpers, and flexes just like the rest of the bumper. It hardens in half an hour after the two components are mixed together (use a putty knife) and is quite sandable. You can find the small size at a body shop supply for about $13.

yeah thats rights, i knew there was something else out there that flexes, but i don't know what its called or anything about it. bondo is great stuff for body damage (metal) and non-flexible applications. but go with that stuff lobewiper said. (the bold is for you raz seeing you can't read)

a body shop might charge your a few hundred. you can get your own code matched rattle can, sand paper, ect.. and do the whole thing for under 50 bucks

Last edited by twentyeggs; 06-27-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:11 PM

I don't have faith in my self to do that sort of thing dude. I just would probably f it all up
Old 06-26-2011, 06:12 PM

They will charge you 5 to 6 hundred, because they will say they need to remove the bumper cover to paint it properly. If you're not too much of a perfectionist, use the 2-part filler, sand and prime it (spray can) and then go to a paint supply and ask them to mix your paint color and put it in a spray can. Then, if you've properly feathered in your primer with the existing paint, spray your patch a couple of coats (apply less paint at the edges of your repair, then buff with a very fine compound. You'll hardly see it. However, best advice for you: ask your dealer who does the touchup paint work on their used cars. You should be able to get it done for 200 or so and it will look almost as good as new (he won't remove and replace your bumper, but it will still look very nice).
Old 06-26-2011, 06:15 PM

Sorry, twentyeggs, didn't see your mention of the spray can coded to your car's color... Just a point to the guy whose bumper got dented: painting is easy, anybody can do it. But painting WELL is not easy, and takes experience. Therefore, get the dealer's touchup guy to do it.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rsprince89
I don't have faith in my self to do that sort of thing dude. I just would probably f it all up
if i had to choose bewteen getting my bumper repaired by the dealer or a repair shop and just buying a used one, i'd buy a used one. you could probably score one off a front end totaled maxima in the for sale section for 1-2 hundo vs 300-600 it will cost to repair it.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:23 PM

Sorry, twentyeggs, didn't see your mention of the spray can coded to your car's color... Just a point to the guy whose bumper got dented: painting is easy, anybody can do it. But painting WELL is not easy, and takes experience. Therefore, get the dealer's touchup guy to do it.
. I know I dont want my grandpa to see what I did I'm such a f up in life lol. He just bought me this car and if I don't do it right I won't be getting another new maxima anytime soon so I need to have it done the right way. Btw my color is precision Grey Idk the color code
Old 06-26-2011, 06:24 PM

Heck man 1-2 Hundo I like the sounds of that woo
Old 06-26-2011, 06:29 PM

Go and look at the touchup guy's work--you very probably won't be able to tell it's a repaint.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:35 PM

A dealer will charge you a couple of hundred to install a used bumper, and used bumpers often have scratches and dings...
Old 06-26-2011, 07:40 PM

LOL, I love it, and soooo true!!!
Old 06-26-2011, 11:04 PM

. I know I dont want my grandpa to see what I did I'm such a f up in life lol. He just bought me this car and if I don't do it right I won't be getting another new maxima anytime soon so I need to have it done the right way. Btw my color is precision Grey Idk the color code
Dude, how can you backup into a trailer with a Maxima that has backup sensors like mine? You didn't hear the fast and loud sounding BEEP! BEEP! that you were about to hit something? Listen to your car when it talks to you!!!

Your color code is on your door. Open your door and read!!!

And why are you a f up in life? Stop f*king up stuff!!! Your grandpa is doing all these good things for you, so do not f it up!!!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:01 AM

You don't use bondo on plastic...omg. The advice some people give is ridiculous. Can you post a picture of the damaged bumper please?
Old 06-27-2011, 06:17 AM

PeT, I was tired as he'll and my music was up to loud and I didn't here the heart attack beep noise till it was to late and I looked back didn't see anything bc it was a trailer . So after not seeing anything I though the seņors were malfuctioning so I kept backin up and all of a sudden I heard a little crunch noise . I was so pissed. How do I upload a pic onto this thread to show everybody?
Old 06-27-2011, 08:38 AM

PeT, I was tired as he'll and my music was up to loud and I didn't here the heart attack beep noise till it was to late and I looked back didn't see anything bc it was a trailer . So after not seeing anything I though the seņors were malfuctioning so I kept backin up and all of a sudden I heard a little crunch noise . I was so pissed. How do I upload a pic onto this thread to show everybody?
Be more careful next time. Don't understand how you cannot see a trailer.

You do like everything handed unto you, don't you? Use the search button to learn how to post. If not, email me the pics and I will post them. You have my email.

A thread is always good when there are pics in it!!! Especially when talking about something like this that people would like to see to help them make better recommendations. Keep that in mind.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:49 AM

Recently had the bumper cover replaced with Nissan OEM part and painted at local body shop. Bill was $771. Perfect paint match.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima

You do like everything handed unto you, don't you? Use the search button to learn how to post. If not, email me the pics and I will post them. You have my email.

A thread is always good when there are pics in it!!! Especially when talking about something like this that people would like to see to help them make better recommendations. Keep that in mind.
petit max.... STFU!!
Old 06-27-2011, 03:04 PM

I was quoted 900 bucks to replace the bumper install and painted some other place wanted 1100
Old 06-27-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
petit max.... STFU!!
Nice!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:40 PM

like i said, you can buy a brand new, paint matches bumper cheaper than you can buy one..

here is a paint to match bumper for 161 bucks:
http://www.getallparts.com/Parts/200...campaign=May31

another paint to match for more:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PAINT...732#vi-content

or buy this one and take it to a paint shop where they will spray it for 200 bucks

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...e&apwidGdK2QOJ

for 1000 bucks i'd rather use insurance to fix it
Old 06-27-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Torchcorvette
Nice!
PetitFrereMaxima PM to me:

I don't get why you would make a comment like that. Know that we all build character on the org and I see you do like to get upset a lot and a lot of your posts have like an angree on aggressive tone. Tone it down, pal. We are on the org to be friendly and share knowledge and of course, crack some jokes too.

Even when we share knowledge, as you do a lot, you know we do make mistakes sometimes. For I have seen you have made some good posts before and somwe too that people have had to correct you that you are wrong about the process.

Trully, tone it down a little. i don't think you can poitn another person on the org that souds right now as angry as you sound when you do post.

But feel free to do as you please.
ok, i told you to stfu because you were being a d*ck and rubbing RSprince's face in his mistake after he already said "So like I idiot I backed up into a trailer" so how are you going to tell me to tone it down over the letters "STFU" when your saying:

Dude, how can you backup into a trailer with a Maxima that has backup sensors like mine? You didn't hear the fast and loud sounding BEEP! BEEP! that you were about to hit something? Listen to your car when it talks to you!!!

And why are you a f up in life? Stop f*king up stuff!!! Your grandpa is doing all these good things for you, so do not f it up!!!
yeah real nice man

he already stated he made a mistake and was worried about what his grandpa would think yet you still felt it necessary shove it back in his face again and then get mad at me for telling you to shut up? don't feed me that hypocritical crap.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 06-27-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:14 PM

Yes. Don't use plastic bondo.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:23 PM

Anybody know anyone would would help me replace my bumper painted installed for a better deal then 900? PM me pls
Old 06-30-2011, 01:47 PM

Anybody know anyone would would help me replace my bumper painted installed for a better deal then 900? PM me pls

where do you live?

also, those links i gave you range from 160 to 500.. all painted. the bumper is not hard to take on and off if you wanna attempt it yourself, if you have in SoCal i can help you with it.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:53 PM

I live in bloomigton Illinois . I am begging for someones smartness on here to help me with this before I go back to saint Louis ad see my grandpa July 7th
Old 06-30-2011, 01:56 PM

I really don't want to pay 900 to some ppl that are tryin to rip me a new one. Even if I ordered the bumper online I don't think it would make it here by the time I needed it to be. After I get off work tonight this kid that works in a autobody shop thinks he can fix this (I doubt it) but will see
Old 06-30-2011, 01:58 PM

I really don't want to pay 900 to some ppl that are tryin to rip me a new one. Even if I ordered the bumper online I don't think it would make it here by the time I needed it to be. After I get off work tonight this kid that works in a autobody shop thinks he can fix this (I doubt it) but will see

but dude, even if you spend 200 hundred in next day delivery you will still be 500-600 dollars cheaper than 900...
Old 06-30-2011, 03:41 PM

amen!
Old 06-30-2011, 03:42 PM

good luck..with the repair...really its tottaly ironic that you backed up into something..because you have backing up sensors..this should be impossible/never happen EVER again.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by 2kmaxseblack2k
good luck..with the repair...really its tottaly ironic that you backed up into something..because you have backing up sensors..this should be impossible/never happen EVER again.
It won't