6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Performance parts thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 04:55 PM

Performance parts thread

ok so i want more power! im addicted to it and can't get enough. i've been reading off this list from my 6th gen
http://my6thgen.org/showthread.php?t=904
A custom turbo charger is in my future, but not in the next year or so. i've done the most common bolt ons: intake, BOP, 3" custom exhaust with an electric cutout that bypasses the resonator, kink before the B pipe, and stock mufflers.

i guess the next thing to do is work more on the exhaust. but i have a delima, I want more power, more performance, but I am worried about staying smog legal. This is a priority over performance. I do not want to have to spend half of what the car is worth to convert it back to factory when i need to smog and sell it in a few years.

also, i have a little confusion as to my cats. i know we have 3 of them but i don't know which ones are necessary to pass smog and which i can get rid of.

from my understanding the two cats in the headers are precats and only work while the car is cold? they don't do anything once the car is warmed up. the 3rd cat is the un-metered cat located in the y pipe. this cat works while its hot.... right? or wrong?

which ones do i need and which ones can i safely delete?

so my two options are:

1) i get new headers and keep the stock y pipe. but will i pass smog with new headers (w/out cat) and keep the 3rd cat in the stock y pipe?

2) I keep stock headers and buy raceline y pipe. but will i pass smog keeping oem headers (w/cat) and go with the catless raceline y pipe?

option 2 is what i prefer for now i just want to make sure i can do this and still pass smog.

last question. NWP intake spacers. PERSONALLY, how do you guys like them, is it a major difference, detected via butt dyno?

after my exhaust is complete, and other than a tune, i fear that i will have run out of relevant performance mods. yeah there is the SSIM and lower ported manifold and grounding kits, but they barely do anything and not worth the money.

any suggestions and what i should get next?

I am working on suspension right now in the mean time
strut tower bars (any opinions on which brand?)
2x RSB from kcmaxx
altima SE-R rear sway bar (unless there is a better one)

last thing, what mods do you have, how much were they, and what gains did you get/expect from each mod, what is your favorite mod? which mod do you think gave you the best performance gain?

This thread is for waking up the 6th gen section, get people to have some good conversation and to BS about performance.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 07-11-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:11 PM

I'm with you. I need some performance parts to buy. I would love to hear from you guys!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by eugrub
I'm with you. I need some performance parts to buy. I would love to hear from you guys!
yup, im trying to do best bang for your buck, i was literally one click away from ordering an uprev/osiris engine management thing, but the feedback i got from all the helpful .org members was that i should wait on that until i've done more bolt-ons.

so im looking for biggest bang for the buck.

NWP spacers and y pipe, OR NWP spacers and headers. which ever one keeps me smog legal.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:21 PM

Awesome. My next step is get 19" rims asap then engine parts.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Banned

its very difficult to get additional N/A hp from the vq35. It can be done but need more a lot of cheddar. i suggest cutdown on weight, via light rims, battery, exhaust, run some drag radials, tune the **** out of it and do a cost benefit analysis on future mods. if all all fails. 100 shot.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by lulz
its very difficult to get additional N/A hp from the vq35. It can be done but need more a lot of cheddar. i suggest cutdown on weight, via light rims, battery, exhaust, run some drag radials, tune the **** out of it and do a cost benefit analysis on future mods. if all all fails. 100 shot.
the best bang for the buck is n2o.

running light weight wheels, weight reduction only benifits the owner if hes a time chaser, you wont be able to enjoy the car anymore.
I never intend to purchase the Maxima to be a sport car , so I quite enjoy having still a 4 door with all the options and still have power when I need it.

People tend to get caught up in the # game or Time game.

Either your trying to be the fastest in a drag race or your dyno queen trying to make the most power.

Hopefully people will learn NOT to chase that and enjoy the 6thgen Maxima for what it was meant for.

Altho it is NOT diffcult to make power on the VQ , the other part of your statement is correct , * Pay to Play *

VQ = ITBs, Cams, headers, high comp.

or Force induction , turbo or n2o.

no one said making power would be cheap, if so , go purchase yourself a Honda or SRT4 /EVO
Old 07-12-2011, 04:17 AM

gaaaaaaay.... you just don't enjoy driving as much as i do...
Old 07-12-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
gaaaaaaay.... you just don't enjoy driving as much as i do...
I have more driving and track time you will ever have , ive been down that road many years ago , dont need to prove anything at my age
Old 07-12-2011, 10:12 AM
dot dot dot ...

3.5" intake/SSIM/NWP Spacers/Headers (as close to equal length as our
FWD chassis will provide)/3" exhaust/straight through (albeit very large) muffler.

Piggy back or software of some sort to accommodate 3.5" intake and utilize other breathing mods (extended rev limit, timing, CVTC, etc) .

Lightweight wheels.

I suppose the jury is out as far as smog & headers goes for the A34. I know previous gens do not need the added jazz (o2 sims/etc.) in order to come out code free.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:23 AM

I tend to agree with NiZMo1o1, this car won't be fast on a budget. Cheapest gain is probably from the NWP spacers.

Headers should free up quite a bit of HP, and if you don't want to eliminate cats then replace them with high flow ones at least. But high flow cats aren't cheap...
Old 07-12-2011, 10:40 AM

Headers are the first big step. You can pass smog as long as the car is warm. If you buy a set of headers, the Y pipe is included, don't keep anything in your exhaust stock except for your third cat (or replace it with a highflow cat).

There's a lot to get out of the VQ35 intake setup. Blockoff plate, NWP spacers, big MAF housings, do some looking and you'll find that these things bring results.

The tune only makes things better.

Going above and beyond that, cams/upgraded valvesprings have proven results as well, and if you're looking to push the powerband further out, SSIM is a good idea.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Im not sure why you have stock mufflers on a modified exhaust but they will be like corks, so you might want to uncork your exhaust some with better mufflers. A good way to improve acceleration, braking and handling all at once to lighten the car, especially moving parts. Lighter rims is the best start. You can buy a lighter battery when yours craps out. You can remove the heavy spare tire, jack and tools. Headers and a single output exhaust lightens the load a lot. A lightweight underdrive pulley helps a bit too. Coiloivers lightens the suspension and makes it adjustable too.

Get the Altima SER FRONT anti-sway bar and the Progress rear bar. Get the Racingline endlinks for both and the front strut brace.

The 300zx twin turbo brakes are a nci mod for the brakes and they lighten up the front also. If budget allows, get two piece rotors.

After all your engine mods are done, go to Technosquare to dyno tune the car and reflash the ECU.

That should keep you busy for a while.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:07 PM

lovin the feedback...

i've got biiiig plans for this car... and money is not the object worth looking at, if i can get headers and y pipe with cats ill will.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Banned

OOOO NO not a thread by twentyeggs
Old 07-12-2011, 07:46 PM

If you're that power hungry and you really want to go fast then the 6th gen Maxima is not the car for you. You can only invest in so many bolt-on mods before there's nothing left to do. Not to mention that no matter what you do, you're still going to be driving a boat of a FWD sedan which isn't helping the power situation either.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:52 PM

Lmfao...More research = less threads you have to post
Originally Posted by Clashez
OOOO NO not a thread by twentyeggs
More
Old 07-12-2011, 09:45 PM

My bro has the NWP spacers on his SE-R and imho its not worth the 220 dollars its like you feel it but you dont feel like its 220 like maybe an ebay catback is worth more...
Old 07-12-2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by cheese20323
My bro has the NWP spacers on his SE-R and imho its not worth the 220 dollars its like you feel it but you dont feel like its 220 like maybe an ebay catback is worth more...

hm.. interesting..
Old 07-13-2011, 07:01 AM
dot dot dot ...

hm.. interesting..
Money's not an object I thought.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:56 AM

lovin the feedback...

i've got biiiig plans for this car... and money is not the object worth looking at, if i can get headers and y pipe with cats ill will.
Originally Posted by NmexMAX
If money isn't worth looking at, why are you looking for the biggest bang for the buck? In your other thread, you say you have $800 to spend. If money wasn't an object, you'd make whatever you want happen. You worry about passing smog and removing cats, then buy headers with high flow pre-cats and a y-pipe with a high flow cat. Problem solved.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:02 AM

If that's the case get Cattman Headers....which comes with the y pipe best HP there, like Deus has the full Cattman headers to mufflers if not mistaken....sure that thing is a beast....

Like others have said you got the minimal.....Intake....Cutout....BOP....but lighter wheels helps, I know going from 20" chrome to some light 18s, Underdrive Pulley is good, felt a little quicker on acceleration and the Spacers and BOP are the **** no complaints really feel the power, best bang for the buck for 5.5.....Exhaust is good me Cattman 3" and his Fastcat which is a Hi Flo Cat....gutted my pre cats nice little hp and waitng on my Cattman HEADERS...and sure im going to love those things.....and always think if your getting rid of the car in a couple of years is it worth blowng the money cause, most peps don't want to pay sh1 t anyway....Good Luck....

Last edited by NmexMAX; 07-13-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:27 AM
dot dot dot ...

Do some major research, the info is out there you need to apply yourself and spend the time reading about all the issues. I've seen all threads on O2 sensors, codes, etc associated with headers, you have not. I have, because I've searched on here. Do a lot of searching in the 6th gen forum from the likes of Dues and others who have headers. If that's not an option, the same info is out there for hi-flow cats. Also, altimas.net, NICO club are other resources for gathering information on your car, since the 6th gen is very similar to the previous generation (L31) Altima. Come on man!

There are still a few unanswered questions that maybe in your pioneering you can uncover, specifically, O2 sensor codes and headers.

Headers are the main power maker for an NA VQ equipped Maxima.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:17 PM

Do some major research, the info is out there you need to apply yourself and spend the time reading about all the issues. I've seen all threads on O2 sensors, codes, etc associated with headers, you have not. I have, because I've searched on here. Do a lot of searching in the 6th gen forum from the likes of Dues and others who have headers. If that's not an option, the same info is out there for hi-flow cats. Also, altimas.net, NICO club are other resources for gathering information on your car, since the 6th gen is very similar to the previous generation (L31) Altima. Come on man!

There are still a few unanswered questions that maybe in your pioneering you can uncover, specifically, O2 sensor codes and headers.

Headers are the main power maker for an NA VQ equipped Maxima.
if i and everyone else spent the countless hours searching for answers im sure we would find them, and there would be no use for the "new thread" button. My question is not directly answered in older posts, therefor why is it wrong to start a conversation on an otherwise lifeless forum?

with this mentality, maxima.org would either be dead, or slowly die with every question asked, and instead of being a forum, it would be a database, until the next generation comes around, there may be a few more
Old 07-14-2011, 04:52 PM

if i and everyone else spent the countless hours searching for answers im sure we would find them, and there would be no use for the "new thread" button. My question is not directly answered in older posts, therefor why is it wrong to start a conversation on an otherwise lifeless forum?

with this mentality, maxima.org would either be dead, or slowly die with every question asked, and instead of being a forum, it would be a database, until the next generation comes around, there may be a few more
Do you really think you are keeping the .org alive with your posts and threads? We have had many years of great debates and learning here in the 6th gen. Also, have you looked at the 5th and 4th gens sections? They each have over 1,000,000 posts. These are the same people that are trading in for newer Maxs and are joining the 6th gen and they add to our new threads, posts and ideas as well. We don't need anybody trying to boost our numbers of new posts/threads with inane crap. 20eggs, sometimes I think you finally get it--- but then you lose it again.

Last edited by BadBlackMaxSL; 07-14-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:57 PM
dot dot dot ...

^^^

In the meantime .... do some walking instead of talking.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
the best bang for the buck is n2o.

running light weight wheels, weight reduction only benifits the owner if hes a time chaser, you wont be able to enjoy the car anymore.
I never intend to purchase the Maxima to be a sport car , so I quite enjoy having still a 4 door with all the options and still have power when I need it.

People tend to get caught up in the # game or Time game.

Either your trying to be the fastest in a drag race or your dyno queen trying to make the most power.

Hopefully people will learn NOT to chase that and enjoy the 6thgen Maxima for what it was meant for.

Altho it is NOT diffcult to make power on the VQ , the other part of your statement is correct , * Pay to Play *

VQ = ITBs, Cams, headers, high comp.

or Force induction , turbo or n2o.

no one said making power would be cheap, if so , go purchase yourself a Honda or SRT4 /EVO
I totally agree with you!
VQ = ITBs, Cams, headers, high comp, Private Tune is my fan!

3.5" intake/SSIM/NWP Spacers/Headers (as close to equal length as our
FWD chassis will provide)/3" exhaust/straight through (albeit very large) muffler.

Piggy back or software of some sort to accommodate 3.5" intake and utilize other breathing mods (extended rev limit, timing, CVTC, etc) .

Lightweight wheels.

I suppose the jury is out as far as smog & headers goes for the A34. I know previous gens do not need the added jazz (o2 sims/etc.) in order to come out code free.
I love to see sparks03max's custom ssim make 50 whp on redline! i think this one is best for mod?

Originally Posted by joecurr
I tend to agree with NiZMo1o1, this car won't be fast on a budget. Cheapest gain is probably from the NWP spacers.

Headers should free up quite a bit of HP, and if you don't want to eliminate cats then replace them with high flow ones at least. But high flow cats aren't cheap...
BOP is cheap, it make power 9-10 hp and torque

ok so i want more power! im addicted to it and can't get enough. i've been reading off this list from my 6th gen
http://my6thgen.org/showthread.php?t=904
A custom turbo charger is in my future, but not in the next year or so. i've done the most common bolt ons: intake, BOP, 3" custom exhaust with an electric cutout that bypasses the resonator, kink before the B pipe, and stock mufflers.

i guess the next thing to do is work more on the exhaust. but i have a delima, I want more power, more performance, but I am worried about staying smog legal. This is a priority over performance. I do not want to have to spend half of what the car is worth to convert it back to factory when i need to smog and sell it in a few years.

also, i have a little confusion as to my cats. i know we have 3 of them but i don't know which ones are necessary to pass smog and which i can get rid of.

from my understanding the two cats in the headers are precats and only work while the car is cold? they don't do anything once the car is warmed up. the 3rd cat is the un-metered cat located in the y pipe. this cat works while its hot.... right? or wrong?

which ones do i need and which ones can i safely delete?

so my two options are:

1) i get new headers and keep the stock y pipe. but will i pass smog with new headers (w/out cat) and keep the 3rd cat in the stock y pipe?

2) I keep stock headers and buy raceline y pipe. but will i pass smog keeping oem headers (w/cat) and go with the catless raceline y pipe?

option 2 is what i prefer for now i just want to make sure i can do this and still pass smog.

last question. NWP intake spacers. PERSONALLY, how do you guys like them, is it a major difference, detected via butt dyno?

after my exhaust is complete, and other than a tune, i fear that i will have run out of relevant performance mods. yeah there is the SSIM and lower ported manifold and grounding kits, but they barely do anything and not worth the money.

any suggestions and what i should get next?

I am working on suspension right now in the mean time
strut tower bars (any opinions on which brand?)
2x RSB from kcmaxx
altima SE-R rear sway bar (unless there is a better one)

last thing, what mods do you have, how much were they, and what gains did you get/expect from each mod, what is your favorite mod? which mod do you think gave you the best performance gain?

This thread is for waking up the 6th gen section, get people to have some good conversation and to BS about performance.
Interesting.....
Old 07-16-2011, 10:28 AM

BOP 10HP I wish I say maybe 3-5hp think somebody did a dyno and got 5hp of it but 10...don't see it happening but I wish it did.....
Old 07-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
BOP 10HP I wish I say maybe 3-5hp think somebody did a dyno and got 5hp of it but 10...don't see it happening but I wish it did.....
On depend other VQ35 FWD can make add 3 to 10 hp with other mod? but i saw other forum of dyno sheet for gain 9 hp ~8 torque for BOP

click link on below. i believe you will interest.....

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...o-comparo.html

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/eng...-vs-stock.html
Old 07-17-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by MIKERNM1990
On depend other VQ35 FWD can make add 3 to 10 hp with other mod? but i saw other forum of dyno sheet for gain 9 hp ~8 torque for BOP

click link on below. i believe you will interest.....

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...o-comparo.html

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/eng...-vs-stock.html
Maybe its the combination with the headers getting some soon if my car survives the hit from the Frontier truck....
Old 07-17-2011, 02:48 PM

Since the OP decided not go go the HP route (after start 3 threads about it) and is going with a suspension setup, can we lock this thread?

Old 07-17-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Since the OP decided not go go the HP route (after start 3 threads about it) and is going with a suspension setup, can we lock this thread?

we dno't need to lock the thread.. its not here just for me, and i will be doing performance next in the near future so its still pertinent information.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:33 PM

we dno't need to lock the thread.. its not here just for me, and i will be doing performance next in the near future so its still pertinent information.
Oh.....