6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

NEED A GOOD BODYSHOP/ FLOOR PANEL REPAIR

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:58 AM

NEED A GOOD BODYSHOP/ FLOOR PANEL REPAIR

As I mentioned on my previous thread, I found a hole the size of a quarter on the the passenger side, how it happened I don't know but by the looks it has been there for awhile. It looks like someone placed a jack on the floor panel and pucture a hole.
The metal is so rusted that pieces are falling off. I patched it with metal tape for now but I need to get it fix before winter and rust spreads. Right now a 12" x 9" piece needs to be cut out and replace. Chasis is fine.

I take the car to the dealer for oil changes, they supposeley do a visual inspection of the bottom, I wonder how can they miss this rusted area?

All your shop suggestions are welcome, I live in Montgomery County Maryland.

Thanks
Old 07-12-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by BETO6700
As I mentioned on my previous thread, I found a hole the size of a quarter on the the passenger side, how it happened I don't know but by the looks it has been there for awhile. It looks like someone placed a jack on the floor panel and pucture a hole.
The metal is so rusted that pieces are falling off. I patched it with metal tape for now but I need to get it fix before winter and rust spreads. Right now a 12" x 9" piece needs to be cut out and replace. Chasis is fine.

I take the car to the dealer for oil changes, they supposeley do a visual inspection of the bottom, I wonder how can they miss this rusted area?

All your shop suggestions are welcome, I live in Montgomery County Maryland.

Thanks
i read your previous post, I would just take it to any body shop where they can cut out the affected area and patch it up with some similar metal then paint it to prevent corrosion..
Old 07-12-2011, 12:36 PM

I contacted 3 body shops this morning 2 do not want to do it, the third one want tolook at the damage first and then decide if they can repair it.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:59 PM

They're probably not wanting to do it because it's tough to get a replacement floor panel without getting a clip of a car from a junk yard.

Job like this doesn't justify a clip, and most junk yards aren't going to sell you just that part of the floor without considering the value of the whole clip in the price...

That said, theoretically they could just use some sheet metal, but there's going to be some safety consideration here since they're looking at removing a floorboard and replacing with a panel/welds...they don't want to send you off with Flintstone brakes.

Considering your description of the damage, you could get quotes of $1000-$1500 without blinking an eye...not saying it's worth that much, but few shops are going to want to touch this without a big price tag...some shops will highball just so they won't get the work...or if you do call their bluff, it's an easy payday.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:19 PM

welding shop?
Old 07-12-2011, 02:13 PM

I was just reading postings from Nissanclub.com, there are few guys with 03,04 Maximas and Altimas with the same problem. It may be defective material, unfortunate my car is way pass the rust warranty.
Perhaps everyone should pay more attention to the floor panels specially the ones the live in the North.
Man, I just spent lots of money in the car can't trade it in.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:45 AM

2 more shops declined to do the job, they said because of liability and warranty issues.
I found one but I read the reviews on yellow pages and they were not good!!.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:07 PM

Keep pressing on, you'll find someone to do it.

Are these guys turning it down over the phone without even looking at it? Or are they inspecting it, then giving you the bad news...?

I suspected you'd have some issue, but there are plenty of shops that work on floors to straighten them after T-bone, and i'm sure you're area is prone to rust, so they've seen this before some of them. Repairing floors isn't that unique...

If you're doing a lot of this over the phone, forget that. Go to the places, have them make the determination of the work required. If you're telling them 12X9 piece as you described, it sounds weird. Let them determine what the need to cut out and replace with their own visual inspection.

This is totally doable; you just have to find the shop willing to just do it.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes, it's totally doable, and it shouldn't cost you 1000 to 1500. Go to a BMW or Audi dealer and ask them who does their body work. Then, go to that shop and ask them to recommend a welder. Shouldn't cost more than 3 or 4 hundred at most. You also might look at a metal fabricating shop. They may very well do it for you, or if they won't, they should be able to refer you to a competent and reasonably priced welding shop. A MIG welder should be used because you're dealing with relatively thin sheet metal.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:20 AM

Thanks guys, I've been @ the shops because they won't give you an estimate over the phone. I have 3 appointments next week from 3 Yelp Top rated shops.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:53 AM

my guy could totally do it but too bad you are not in TO man....a buddy of mine has the same issue on his 2004 alti (i think it's a defect on most altimas/maximas??) and had it fixed for less than mentioned here.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I know exactly what you are talking about. I had to do the same thing to both sides of my car last year. I had about $60 in metal, paint and undercoating. I dont remember how long it took but it was less than 8 hrs start to finish. Not hard if you have a little experience with metal working. I have pics on the other .org if you want to check it out. Mine rust spots looked small until I opened it up and the patches ended up being pretty big. I think it was because the body plugs went bad. Good Luck with the repairs.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:52 PM

I had it fixed in my '05 a few weeks ago. The piece he cut out was 22 inches long and about five inches wide I think. Rest of the car is rock solid. Cost me $700 to have the floor fixed, fender painted, roof painted, and that peeling roof strips painted black from the hood to the rear window. I'm in Canada though, so that doesn't help you with pricing down in the US
Old 07-23-2011, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the post. The info gathered was helpful