6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Magnaflow 14805 Mufflers AND Magnaflow 12640 Resonator Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 03:18 PM

Magnaflow 14805 Mufflers AND Magnaflow 12640 Resonator Installation

I know there is another thread like this but there was also a lot of questions about "drone" from other members that I realized. After a lot of research and talking with a few people, I had this installed this morning. I drove the interstate home after installation about 20 miles at different speeds on cruise control and could not make this car "drone" if I wanted! The key is this exact resonator! It PURRS!!!!! And overall the system is very quiet when just driving normal, but VERY deep sound! The install was very professional. If you look in the pics they didn't use brackets to connect the mufflers. They welded everything together seamlessly and mandrel bent the fresh piping custom back to the mufflers. They did the same with the resonator as well to make a truly professional job. If anyone is in the Chicago area that wants quality work like this you need to check out Marco Discount Muffler and Brake. www.marcodiscount.com. They will give you the BEST price! Perfect and meticulous installation especially at the tips regarding depth, horizontal distance, and overall perfect alignment! I'd also like to thank Scott from www.performance-curve.com. He was able to give me the best pricing for all 3 mufflers and GREAT customer service. You can reach him directly in fact at the phone number on the website. He looks forward to a lot more business so I promised to post all this. He will beat ANY legitimate offer and give you free shipping as well! Just tell him I sent you! I hope you enjoy the pics and get some great input for yourself trying to make a decision on a great exhaust system. I tried to list the pictures showing the progress of the installation from start to finish.

Also, please don't miss the link below the pictures labeled, "View my Video". It is short but it is the first video I was able to get. Thanks,

View My Video
Old 07-18-2011, 06:30 PM

A few more pictures from the side that I missed...

Old 07-18-2011, 08:04 PM

exhaust looks beautiful. are those stock pipes?
Old 07-18-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Import06
exhaust looks beautiful. are those stock pipes?
Well yes, stock piping outside of what I replaced. But not stock mufflers and resonator.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:08 PM

Damn, that model looks nice man. They definitely did a great job on the install, everything looks on point.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate
Damn, that model looks nice man. They definitely did a great job on the install, everything looks on point.
Thanks bud, I'm pretty picky and all my friends know I'm a perfectionist so I was pretty meticulous. But they had no problem with that and caught certain things on alignment before I could ever catch it. After that happened I let them have the car at will and do what he does best!!! THEY do best!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 09:33 PM

Those are the shops that I like to go to also. Most shops out there are messy and try to do things as fast as they can so they can move to another customer. Hate that crap but, I'm glad you found one of the rare shops out there that actually like doing their job and pay attention to detail.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate
Those are the shops that I like to go to also. Most shops out there are messy and try to do things as fast as they can so they can move to another customer. Hate that crap but, I'm glad you found one of the rare shops out there that actually like doing their job and pay attention to detail.
I'm glad I found the right one too! And you are right, I'm tired of BS shops that DGAF!!! I came here and really wanted to post their info because they are so legit. They made it interactive and let me be a part of the entire install under the car choosing all the positions. Just great couple of guys!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:20 PM

So, is anyone interested in getting this application installed that have any questions? Anyone in Chicago area looking for great deals on installation and purchase?
Old 07-25-2011, 06:28 PM

BUMP!

I am wondering why nobody has even really looked at this thread. Is there nobody that would like to install Magnaflow at an extremely low price? I swear I thought everyone would enjoy this but I must have been wrong?!?! Too bad.....
Old 07-25-2011, 10:23 PM

Honestly, I don't see to much members here that are from IL. So, that might just explain things. But, I'm sure that the people that aren't registered will see this thread and check them out or other people from the different gen forums on this org will see this.

EDIT: Did see that this thread got 220 views

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 07-25-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:55 PM

Yeah man not many people here from there , if i was from there i will go there cause i am thinking of changing my res to the one you have for some reason.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dafedexman
Yeah man not many people here from there , if i was from there i will go there cause i am thinking of changing my res to the one you have for some reason.
Well if you have the stock resonator it will be a great decision to replace it with the 12640 MAG. There is a lot of restriction on the factory one and this will still keep it quiet like a RES is supposed to but allow a lot more flow! It compliments the MAG mufflers quite well! You can get one for like $60-$70 shipped if you use the contact I listed above and mention my name and the forum. Good luck!
Old 07-27-2011, 08:19 AM

*woulda replaced all the pipes personally*
Old 07-27-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
*woulda replaced all the pipes personally*
I hear you, but the factory piping is still pretty healthy besides the surface rust that is normal. I can always add more to the exhaust system but this is more than fine for now.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by mvodnansky
]
Im sorry but that looks like complete and utter crap. My advice is to get the ebay cat back, cut the mufflers and resonator off, weld these Magnaflows on and then it will look good. From behind it looks half assed and I don't like it, sorry.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by RAZ76
Im sorry but that looks like complete and utter crap. My advice is to get the ebay cat back, cut the mufflers and resonator off, weld these Magnaflows on and then it will look good. From behind it looks half assed and I don't like it, sorry.
Hmm, ok? This is a first. Well, What about this makes it look like crap to you, especially from behind? I didn't want an ebay catback but either way if I welded these mufflers back on it would look the same. I appreciate the feedback but I'm trying to figure out what is half assed or wrong with the look and setup. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by mvodnansky
Hmm, ok? This is a first. Well, What about this makes it look like crap to you, especially from behind? I didn't want an ebay catback but either way if I welded these mufflers back on it would look the same. I appreciate the feedback but I'm trying to figure out what is half assed or wrong with the look and setup. Thanks.
I'm not talking about the mufflers, the mufflers look fine. I'm talking about the factory piping dude. It looks like a$$ and you can see that from behind. If you get the eBay cat back and just use the piping, it wont look like that. Anyway, it was just my opinion, if you didn't want opinions you shouldn't have posted a public thread.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:51 AM

I'm not talking about the mufflers, the mufflers look fine. I'm talking about the factory piping dude. It looks like a$$ and you can see that from behind. If you get the eBay cat back and just use the piping, it wont look like that. Anyway, it was just my opinion, if you didn't want opinions you shouldn't have posted a public thread.
Didn't I just say I appreciate the feedback???
Old 07-27-2011, 10:08 AM

I'm not talking about the mufflers, the mufflers look fine. I'm talking about the factory piping dude. It looks like a$$ and you can see that from behind. If you get the eBay cat back and just use the piping, it wont look like that.
this is what i was getting at
Old 07-27-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
this is what i was getting at
I understand, but you can't really see under the car even when driving behind it. The camera was sitting on the ground pretty close to get that shot. Anyway, I was considering getting a high temp black paint to spray over all of that to make it look clean if I wanted to.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:20 PM

To Raz's point- Paint the rusted rear y-pipe and the new pipes to the mufflers black to blend the old and new pipes and call it a day.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
To Raz's point- Paint the rusted rear y-pipe and the new pipes to the mufflers black to blend the old and new pipes and call it a day.
Again, I see what some of you are saying. I wish I didn't even take that picture because unless you are laying on the ground looking up you can't even see ANY of that at all. And I feel like the new steel will soon age like the older steel. Also, As I do more research I see that simply painting it is a far more difficult process to do correctly and to make it stay with the major heat variance that the paint will go through daily.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:08 PM

Also, if you look close in the picture in my signature, you can barely see that I am already kneeling down on my knees to take that shot and you can't see anything....
Old 07-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That looks really good....it can be hard to find a shop where the guys take real pride in their work and treat it as their own. I just had a magnaflow metal core HFC, 22" length, 4" diameter resonator and a Dynonax VT muffler on my beater '93 Altima.

I envy you for being able to fit that huge can of a resonator!!

Jeremy
Old 07-27-2011, 04:17 PM

Looks good Mark! Come out to some of the meets this summer!
Old 07-27-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
Looks good Mark! Come out to some of the meets this summer!
Thanks Jeff! Hope to see you at 1 or 2 soon!
Old 07-27-2011, 04:29 PM

Well I don't know how everyone feels about this but from my prospective, it's not really just about the way it looks. I personally like t do it right the first time. It saves money and you don't have to mess with it again. Stock piping is 2.25 and eBay one is 2.50.

However if you don't want to change all the piping, that's fine, it's your car, your call. I was just simply voicing my opinion, not talking trash. I would do what others have mentioned and paint the sucker. Get high temp paint for exhaust or engine, doesn't matter. Clean the piping really good, let the car run and that pipe will heat up, that's when you spray it, not cold. It will bond better and last longer, trust me.
Another thing, Im not sure how tall you are, i'm 5'9" and I can see the split from behind, where another car would be.

My rear.

Cattman mufflers, yours remind me of them.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:46 PM

Well I don't know how everyone feels about this but from my prospective, it's not really just about the way it looks. I personally like t do it right the first time. It saves money and you don't have to mess with it again. Stock piping is 2.25 and eBay one is 2.50.

However if you don't want to change all the piping, that's fine, it's your car, your call. I was just simply voicing my opinion, not talking trash. I would do what others have mentioned and paint the sucker. Get high temp paint for exhaust or engine, doesn't matter. Clean the piping really good, let the car run and that pipe will heat up, that's when you spray it, not cold. It will bond better and last longer, trust me.
Another thing, Im not sure how tall you are, i'm 5'9" and I can see the split from behind, where another car would be.

My rear.

Cattman mufflers, yours remind me of them.

Ok, the job WAS "done" correctly. If correct means nice welds instead of clamps, perfect alignment, etc. "Correct" does not mean I have to remove perfectly good steel. It is just normal surface rust that if I'm bored I could go remove if I want. I am 5'9" as well and have looked at it at so many angles and you can't see anything. It would have cost a lot more money to replace that piping and have it bent properly that I thought is unnecessary for me at this time. I understand you clearly are pushing and mentioning Cattmann and have no problem with that. BUT MY PREFERENCE by FAR was to go with Magnaflow and it is clearly already done so I don't even know why you bring them up. Your Cattmann's look nice but I prefer the tone and sound and love the fact that it is quieter than Cattmann. This post was not meant to be a comparison between a different type of exhaust system. By the way, your pipes are sitting A LOT lower than mine so I can understand why you would think it would not be great, but you can't see that piping on my car unless you are really looking "UP" right behind it basically.

Last edited by mvodnansky; 07-27-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:53 PM

Ok as many know, I can get nasty with folks. Im trying to be nice here so don't get all butt hurt and work with me. Im not working for cattman nor eBay, just voicing my opinion and showing you the difference, your pipe looks like a$$, you half asssed it and I didn't, that's all. That is the bottom line and that's what Im trying to get at, nothing else. Also you brought up the surface rust, it's not just about that, it's about performance, not just looks dude. One more time, 2.25 stock, 2.50 eBay catback or 3" Cattman. I just think it looks dumb and waste of money to slap some nice mufflers on that ugly, rusted a$$ pipe, hence why I called it halfassed.IMO

Last edited by RAZ76; 07-27-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:04 PM

I swear more times than not I decide that I am just done with this forum if this is how it is with some people. I can't stand how something gets so far off topic at the start of almost every thread I see. I try to log in and it seems I log off just heated which is just unnecessary. So sad...
Old 07-27-2011, 05:09 PM

No need to log off, Im out of here. You remind me of twentyeggs and that's not a good thing.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:33 PM

i came
Old 07-31-2011, 06:18 AM

What is the part number for the magnaflow resonator that you used on your car, if you remember?
Old 07-31-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by 98maxi
What is the part number for the magnaflow resonator that you used on your car, if you remember?
As it says in the thread title it is Magnaflow Resonator model #12640
Old 07-31-2011, 10:18 PM

No need to log off, Im out of here. You remind me of twentyeggs and that's not a good thing.
It's too bad that you would say that to me. Comparing me to twentyeggs is a real insult. Congratulations on a great insult I suppose. I have always been respectful of fellow members here. I guess I just wanted to say that I have sanded down the piping in question, primed, and painted with flat black high temp enamel paint. I am in fact glad I did it, but unless you are under the car you would never notice. Thank you either way. It was not that difficult to make right. I just had some free time this weekend and it was only a couple hours of work. RAZ, don't ever compare me to that kid please....... You DO NOT know me. I still hope this thread holds value in years to come when someone is searching "exhaust" and wants to form their own opinions and decide what THEY would like to do for themselves.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:47 AM

You're right, I apologize. Can we see some new pics now, thanks.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:43 PM

exhaust

hey i just ordered mine today.
i should get it next week, cant wait to put them on. hopefully its *** good as yours.
i want 0% drone lol
Old 08-11-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hv10688
hey i just ordered mine today.
i should get it next week, cant wait to put them on. hopefully its *** good as yours.
i want 0% drone lol
Cool, Did you get it from Scott? What exactly did you buy and what model #'s?
Old 08-18-2011, 09:53 PM

exhaust

i got the same set up as you.
14805 muffs
12640 res.
im still nervious about the res cuz like i said my dad drives the car. and i cant have loud cabin noise. like im trying to get 0% drone. so im gonna put the mufflers first and see how loud it is then ill think about the res.
i wanna get it right the first shot i dont wanna cut it and then re-weld it again.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow 14805 Mufflers AND Magnaflow 12640 Resonator Installation