6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

08 maxima se

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 04:31 PM

08 maxima se

Hey all,
I am thinking about buying an 08 maxima se with 80,000 on the clock. We drive about 80 mls round trip a day to and from work. Car is in great shape no rust. Deffinetly a Florida car. Actualy it's for my wife. She has a ford exploder Eddie baurer 4.6 v-8 with 4 wheel drive. She gets all of 17 to 18 mls a gallon on a good day and about 13 in the city. Given she drives all highway. The gas in her car is killing me. Her gas bill alone averages 520 to 560 a month. This average goes from April of this year until present. My problem is the car has a cvt trans and I've been reading about the cvt on the forums here. I have an Infiniti i35 and it has been an excellent car. I have 110,000 mls and change. Maintaince is always on the to do list. Repaires on my Infiniti have been nada, nill, zero. It's the best car I've ever owned. With this being said, it's a up badger nissan. Is this maxima going to be a problem? Well some cars have there fair share of gremlins and some don't. I'm concerned about this cvt trans. I would like to know as much as possible from my forums brothers and sisters.also thinking of 08 altima with same trans but in an s 2.5 model.

Last edited by infiniti medic; 09-27-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:47 PM

Welcome to the org. The 6.5 gen (07-08) has a 120k warranty on the cvt transmission. I have heard one or two that have had issues but, other than that. There hasn't been anyone that I've heard about. Personally, I've never had a problem with the transmission itself.

The only major problem that I've experienced is the timing chain but, if you buy an extended warranty than that should offset the cost. Which is around 2k to get that fixed. As with any other car, it does require regular maintenance such as oil changes and everything.

The average is about 21 mpg with highway driving which isn't the best. Although, it's better than the Ford that she's driving now. It's roughly 17 mpg with regular street driving (from my experience).
Old 09-27-2011, 05:59 PM

Thank you. So then this is a good deal. Cost is 14 grand. Just not sure about having a 250 dollar payment monthly on a used car. Bank says it could be close to 300. Chase says about 225 to 250. I don't believe them though. After the paperwork is printed we shall see who closer me or chase
Old 09-27-2011, 06:33 PM

Also one more thing, does the maxima require 91 octane or better? Can it run with out causing knock on 89 octane
Old 09-27-2011, 06:47 PM

The cost is pretty good. Although you might be able to find something that's cheaper since it already has 80k on it. Maybe try to knock down the price a bit. So, the payments won't be as bad neither.

It's recommended that you use 91 octane or better but it's not a requirement. You will suffer performance but there's people that use lower grade gas and don't have a problem.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:13 PM

As far as performance, my wife will b driving it. Enough said
Old 09-27-2011, 08:10 PM

You may think this is crazy, since this forum is supposed to be for those who are "obsessed" with Maxima. But here is my recommendation, whether you take or you don't- STAY AWAY from this model. If you wonder why, google two words "maxima problems" and you will see bunch of pages with the answers.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:34 PM

Acercomp71 thank you sir, I'll look it up. I think nothing said here on our forum is to be taken as gospel, but I as a member of the forum eversince I bought my car. I take everything said and do my own research. I then make my own decision.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Consumer Reports says the 08 Max is better than average overall for mechanical problems. But if your wife is driving it and you're concerned about gas mileage, why not consider something like this ?:

2008 Hyundai Elantra, 4 cylinder, automatic, air, tilt wheel, cruise control, power windows, power locks, AM/FM/CD with MP3, side air curtains, side air bags, ABS, electronic stability control, remote entry on key fob, Silver with Gray cloth interior, 39,936 miles with remainder of 5 year/60k mile bumper to bumper warranty from Hyundai, $8,900.

Or this:

2010 Toyota Corolla LE, 4 cylinder, automatic, air, tilt wheel, cruise control, power windows, power lock, heated power mirrors, aluminum wheels, AM/FM/CD/MP3, ABS, vehicle stability control, side air bags, side air curtains, Red with Taupe cloth interior, 41419 miles with remainder of 5 year/60k mile power train warranty from Toyota, $11,700.

(Both of the above are available from <jonhubner.com> near Lafayette, Indiana)

The Max is going to get poorer mileage and probably be a lot more car than your wife needs. Another possibility might be the Honda CRV...
Old 09-28-2011, 05:10 AM

"Another possibility might be the Honda CRV..."

Sorry, I meant to say the Toyota RAV4.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by infiniti medic
Acercomp71 thank you sir, I'll look it up. I think nothing said here on our forum is to be taken as gospel, but I as a member of the forum eversince I bought my car. I take everything said and do my own research. I then make my own decision.
You said it right. So, the 08 Maxima SE you are looking at, what options does it come with? Leather? Heated seats? Rear sonar? Sunroof or moonroof? If you buy a car with 80k,I say just make some sacrifice and update all maintenance that you can afford on it so you can drive with a peace of mind. Most people sell their cars when some maintenance are soon coming up like brake pads and rotors.

If your problem is gas mileage, why not look into a 2008 Altima 4 cylinder? The 08 Altima looks good and I will think it might drive good too. Other alternatives for 4 cylinder might be the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry. They are very reliable and dependable too.

I own 08 Maxima SE. Been driving it since new. Now at 93k, no problems, just regular maintenance. So, I have been treated really good so far. And very used to my CVT.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:28 AM

08, $14k, with over 80,000 miles on it, and you plan on putting a ton of miles on the car daily...run away, don't walk.

First, price point, that's a lot of miles, will be hard if not impossible to get an extended warrantee, so expect all repairs out of pocket. You listed none of the features for the car. If it's loaded, nav, sliding sunroof, spoiler, backup sensors, heated leather seats, HID headlights, then $14k isn't that bad. However if this is a base model, cloth, halogen lights, basic stereo, forget it.

Second point, you're obviously stressing out about gas prices, again, run don't walk. Mileage won't be much better then the car she's got now, and with premium you're adding close to $2 every fillup, so that pretty much puts you back where you were, might be best just to keep the other, eliminating the car payment for now.

A little perspective, my 07 has about 47,000 miles on it, loaded, so I enjoy the ride. I only average about 11,000 miles a year if that. A car like this doesn't cost me that much to drive. However, just totaling up working days for your wife, 80mX5daysX52 weeks, that's 20800...and that doesn't account for weekend/errands and trips, so you're looking at a potential of over 25k to 30k annually. You need to get a 4 banger, like a Sonata, Camery, or Fusion...even brand new the money you save on gas will offset the car payment considerably...
Old 09-28-2011, 07:41 AM

I am looking at the altima aswell. The car is a silver steel metallic it's a se model. I just don't know all the option in car as of yet.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:42 AM

I am looking at the altima aswell. The car is a silver steel metallic it's a se model. I just don't know all the option in car as of yet.
Have you looked at the car in person? Or did you see it on the internet or where? Kindly provide a link, if on the net. I am just curious since when you look at a car, most people usually look at the options too to see if the price matches the condition of the car with the options that are on the car.

Let us know.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:40 PM

I'd let the wife drive it first--it is quite stiffly sprung compared to the SL model.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:27 PM

Link is autoadviceusa.com. The price on the net says 17 or something like that. Have not driven it but the people that own the dealer are family friends and so price would be less than 14. With financing price would be about 14 to 15.5. There good honest people. My problem is credit since about 1 year and half ago. Wife got laid off from a 65 thousand dollar a year job after 10 years. As for me as a paramedic the city cut hours which meant A loss of 15 thousand in salary for me. Any how to keep house and food on our plates giving back 2 cars to the bank voluntarily which is still a repo x 2. Bad stuff. We sleep in our house not our cars. I'll drive a bucket, as long as house is nice. As for my wife, she is my best friend and it's hard for me to sit and watch her drive an old exploder with now 130 thousand mls. Which we bought used with 97, 000 a year ago. We had a lot of money in savings which got us thru a really bad time. We spent alot just staying above water until she got another job. I also have a better job. But still trying to fix our credit. Which I've managed to do, but we have a long way to go. All this being said we keep fighting. New is not an option and financing traditional is still not an option. Nuff said.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:08 PM

I don't know how tuning goes when it comes to Nissan's, but I know on Full Size Chevy, some guys get their trucks custom tuned for mileage vice performance. You could look at that option too, just throwing another idea/option out there.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:36 PM

Yeah not keeping the explorer unless the payments don't come out to what I feel is doable.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:59 PM

Think were going with Honda accord not sure
Old 09-30-2011, 05:37 PM

Honda Accord's a great car and is extremely reliable. You're happy with your wife, you've got your own house, and you're working for a better future--those are more things than many of us have. Work hard, plan ahead, and things will work out for you!
Old 09-30-2011, 05:37 PM

In your particular situation I would for sure go with the accord! That should be your very best pick! I don't think the max will be a great decision for you. Accord's are GREAT on mileage and maintenance. Of course I love my MAX but I would not consider it an option in your situation, which I am sad to read by the way. I truly wish you the best bud, you seem like you are really trying to do right! Even this particular Maxima can become quite expensive soon to come unexpectably! If I were to gamble on something working for my wife and thinking of all other important things, I would even get a prius!!!!! So get the accord!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:06 PM

Actually the Prius is good. Problem is they just don't get them. I can get the max for 329 a month. Thinking accord is the best option. I want the 08. I can get that for 300. Maybe as low as 285. Good thing I found my wife's credit has increased buy 70 points and mine about 70 points aswell. Again still working hard to make things right again. Still along way to go to get back to post voluntary turn in x 2. Mid 700's is good. Buying stuff with that 700's score is so easy and interest is low
Old 10-01-2011, 05:42 AM

Oh my my, the bank called wife. They won't finance us. My wife stopped at our family friends dealer. They can get us done, but at an interest rate of 17 percent. They said it could of been worse. The finance lady said it could of been 21 percent or worse yet state max. She did say state max changes for certain year cars. The newer the car they can get us into, the longer we can finance. Which of course will drop the monthly payments. I just don't want to go for 48 months on a used car. So she said stick with the maxima se or we can find you an 08 accord. My wife told me that she asked them to find us an accord. She said she could. So we shall see. My hope is for my wife to get the 2 door if they can find us 1 with a low enough selling price.

Last edited by infiniti medic; 10-01-2011 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:28 AM

Man, first of all, I dont see how you could be sad looking at your wife in a 130K miles v8 explorer. Most people around here cannot afford this used car.

If you are going through financial problems, why not get her a nice 2008 toyota corolla or something like that? Not going to cost alot, and it's reliable, and safe.

Most people around here dont even have a car as nice as a 2008 corolla.

Last edited by Kryogen; 10-02-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kryogen

Most people around here dont even have a car as nice as a 2008 corolla.
'Don't get that. You mean the Max, which is owned by "most people around here" is not "as nice as a 2008 corolla"?
Old 10-02-2011, 01:32 PM

Oh my my, the bank called wife. They won't finance us. My wife stopped at our family friends dealer. They can get us done, but at an interest rate of 17 percent. They said it could of been worse. The finance lady said it could of been 21 percent or worse yet state max. She did say state max changes for certain year cars. The newer the car they can get us into, the longer we can finance. Which of course will drop the monthly payments. I just don't want to go for 48 months on a used car. So she said stick with the maxima se or we can find you an 08 accord. My wife told me that she asked them to find us an accord. She said she could. So we shall see. My hope is for my wife to get the 2 door if they can find us 1 with a low enough selling price.

Have you shopped around for financing online?
Old 10-02-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Costee
'Don't get that. You mean the Max, which is owned by "most people around here" is not "as nice as a 2008 corolla"?

I didnt think my sentence was that hard to get, really. Feeling sorry.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:48 PM

I was looking at online financing. With this being said our friend called us and got us with chase. Don't know how. From what I'm told they talked to a friend they have at chase and he got the decision overturned do to our payment history with my car. I've fortunately never had a late pay and never miss a beat. Any how chase can only do a 15.5 percent finance. Tomorrow we will have an answer on the final rate and wife will pick out a car. For me feeling sad about my wife driving a 130k explorer. I have always bought new off the lot. So for me to watch her drive something older was tough. I married my wife 13 years ago and promised her that I would always try and give her the best I could. Don't get me wrong, I believe that I have done that. She is a saint and is not a material women. I'm just so traditional. My wife said she loves her truck, but agrees it's to much to spend monthly in fuel. I just love the look of the max, and don't forget my i35 is a max just upbadged. It has been awesome to me. As for the cost of ownership, I don't think it will be anymore than mine. I also like the 2010 camry for her.

Last edited by infiniti medic; 10-02-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:01 PM

15.% is freaking crazy, dont be it bro. In these cases the interest rate part of your monthly payment will be more than your principal. If you work for a city/state (i think you said that in a previous post) join a municipa credit union. And see what they offer. The municipal credit union in nyc is offering 3%interest rate on a use car loan. Their new car loan rates around the same. Check you options first. Please please check with a credit union.

FYI, i refinanced my car loan from a 9.45 to a 2.85% with the municipal credit union
Old 10-02-2011, 05:52 PM

15% is totally retarded
Old 10-02-2011, 07:08 PM

I agree. I will stop at my local credit union tomorrow. Don't forget, I left the city. I work private now. They actually pay better, and my bennies are totally cool. I still have my credit union though. Don't forget our credit is shot now. Getting better, but still not good. It's a work in progress. And who get 3 percent on a used car loan. Not any bank I know of. **** I was hoping for 8 or 9 with my credit.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:45 PM

Can you not get a line of credit in the 6-8% range?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:20 AM

well prime is 3%.....
Old 10-03-2011, 12:40 PM

I agree. I will stop at my local credit union tomorrow. Don't forget, I left the city. I work private now. They actually pay better, and my bennies are totally cool. I still have my credit union though. Don't forget our credit is shot now. Getting better, but still not good. It's a work in progress. And who get 3 percent on a used car loan. Not any bank I know of. **** I was hoping for 8 or 9 with my credit.
I'm at 3.5% on a used car loan, bank could have gone as low as 2.99%, I was pissed that I didn't get that low to be quite honest.

Yeah, 15, 17, 21 %...that's just crazy, you need to work on that credit...and start saving some money for a massive down payment. Otherwise you're just burning money with those rates!!!
Old 10-03-2011, 04:49 PM

Yeah that's what were doing is rebuilding our lives
Old 10-03-2011, 09:43 PM

So your wife was pulling 65K for 10 years that comes to 650 thousand dollars gross. Why she can not afford a vehicle on her own without all that financing bullcrap I just don't understand. Well unless mortgage killed all her earnings. Anyway, is this ridiculous thread over yet doc?
And hey, friendly reminder, if you live in a "community property" state, in unlikely event that you, guys, split judges don't care who paid for the car. Spouse is entitled to half of everything you bought during marriage no matter what. Yea yea I know love and all but you never know- think twice before throwing a buck or two out there, especially major purchases such as cars, boats, jewelry etc.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by acercomp71
So your wife was pulling 65K for 10 years that comes to 650 thousand dollars gross. Why she can not afford a vehicle on her own without all that financing bullcrap I just don't understand. Well unless mortgage killed all her earnings. Anyway, is this ridiculous thread over yet doc?
And hey, friendly reminder, if you live in a "community property" state, in unlikely event that you, guys, split judges don't care who paid for the car. Spouse is entitled to half of everything you bought during marriage no matter what. Yea yea I know love and all but you never know- think twice before throwing a buck or two out there, especially major purchases such as cars, boats, jewelry etc.

Gosh, acercomp71, why don't you stop beating around the bush and tell him what you REALLY think?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:06 PM

<-- Proud 08 Nissan Maxima Owner..

Buy it man, you won't regret it..
Old 10-04-2011, 06:22 PM

Acercomp. No my wife didn't always make 65 plus. She started at about 28 a year. As far as what we have or what we had doesn't matter. What matters to Me is my wife's well being. What this means is I will not stop at any expense to provide for me and my own. Now back to the deal on the car. Got chase at 16.5 I went to my credit union and filled out application. I'll have answer in a day or 2. The problem from what I'm told is that the cars in question are 08 max and a 08 accord v-6. I have not the slightest idea of why this matters. I'll find out in a day or 2. The dealer is holding the max and has found an accord which won't be delivered until Friday.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:05 AM

You can also buy the one I just traded in
http://www.nissanoftewksbury.com/Cer...leDetails.aspx

Bit the bullet and bought a 2011 last week

Quick Reply: 08 maxima se