6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT JUST CAME ON AND MY CAR WON'T ACCELERATE

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 05:11 PM

MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT JUST CAME ON AND MY CAR WON'T ACCELERATE

I really and truely need ya'll help. I was on to a night call and my service engine soon light suddenly came on followed by acceleration loss. I'm not sure exactly what happen but the was absolutely no rpm and the car was just running on clutch.

It's new years and there is no mechanic shop open tomorrow so have to try and figure it out by tuesday before work. If anyone no why my check engine light came on and there is no acceleration do tell. I turned the car off but it but I can only drive for so far before it happens again.

Thankfully I got home.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:09 PM
L36

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
I really and truely need ya'll help. I was on to a night call and my service engine soon light suddenly came on followed by acceleration loss. I'm not sure exactly what happen but the was absolutely no rpm and the car was just running on clutch.

It's new years and there is no mechanic shop open tomorrow so have to try and figure it out by tuesday before work. If anyone no why my check engine light came on and there is no acceleration do tell. I turned the car off but it but I can only drive for so far before it happens again.

Thankfully I got home.
Its most likely your MAF sensor. Id get MAF sensor cleaner which is available for any place like autozone or pepboys and blast the sensor with it. Its the sensor in your air box.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Got Retrofit?

Get the code and go from there. It sounds like your MAF but could be anything.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:32 PM

Reason your car is not running good is because something is causing it to go into safe mode. Like you can't rev it past 3000K, right? Get the code read and we can help more.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by RAZ76
Reason your car is not running good is because something is causing it to go into safe mode. Like you can't rev it past 3000K, right? Get the code read and we can help more.
The car isn't reving period. There is absolutely no movement from the rmp needle.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by L36
Its most likely your MAF sensor. Id get MAF sensor cleaner which is available for any place like autozone or pepboys and blast the sensor with it. Its the sensor in your air box.
All I need is a cleaner? Is this a temperary fix and i'll need to get another one? Is this normal? And what's the reason for it,the intake took in some debris and/or water?

It's a holiday today so i'm not sure where I can find this MAF cleaner
Old 01-02-2012, 09:51 AM

All I need is a cleaner? Is this a temperary fix and i'll need to get another one? Is this normal? And what's the reason for it,the intake took in some debris and/or water?

It's a holiday today so i'm not sure where I can find this MAF cleaner
Today's the 2nd... I'm pretty sure Autozone and Pepboys are gonna be open today. If you have a second car or someone that can give you a ride, it can't hurt to try.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by hariaum
Today's the 2nd... I'm pretty sure Autozone and Pepboys are gonna be open today. If you have a second car or someone that can give you a ride, it can't hurt to try.
I live in Toronto Canada bro. We don't have that here. We have a Canadian tire and parts source, other than that is the dealer. I just came from there and they said that I should get the car scanned which is a $130 then go from there.

The dealer said it could be a low level of oil, i checked. He said there is no cleaner for it because it's a electronical part. other thing is the aftermarket filters can be a cause of that which I do have. I'm not sure if I should buy the sensor,change the oil then see if it goes away or just get the car scanned.

If I can find someone who have a scanner by tomorrow i'll do that or just get it scanned. I know dealership is just $$$$ but I might have no other choice
Old 01-02-2012, 11:33 AM

Sorry man, didn't realize that. Good luck with the car, hope its nothing big!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:31 PM

ok oil is not the problem also aftermarket air filter could let more dust in the intake but i doubt it since they should filter better than stock... also first priority should be that code try searching for manually checking codes at home. like the count the check engine light thing. after we fellow members know the code we can narrow it down a ton for you but it wont reve at all huh could be the throttle control because our cars are drive by wire. can you rev it in park, neutral or anythig cause a maf problem will still let you drive your car just not very well but if your saying it wont rev at all then i would say something with the throttle motor because it wont move at all. just my two cents man hope you get here running soon
Old 01-02-2012, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by fishtale6spd
ok oil is not the problem also aftermarket air filter could let more dust in the intake but i doubt it since they should filter better than stock... also first priority should be that code try searching for manually checking codes at home. like the count the check engine light thing. after we fellow members know the code we can narrow it down a ton for you but it wont reve at all huh could be the throttle control because our cars are drive by wire. can you rev it in park, neutral or anythig cause a maf problem will still let you drive your car just not very well but if your saying it wont rev at all then i would say something with the throttle motor because it wont move at all. just my two cents man hope you get here running soon
The check engine light is on right now. The car runs for a little bit then I loose the acceleration until I turn the car back off again and wait for a little while.

To me it's dangerous because this could happen while mergin and I could cause an accident. I already ordered the sensor and tomorrow i'll get the car scanned.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:57 PM

Fail safe mode. Please plug in scanner and get code.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by NIKV69
Fail safe mode. Please plug in scanner and get code.
I will try burrow my boys scanner or take it into the stealership
Old 01-03-2012, 08:15 AM

I will try burrow my boys scanner or take it into the stealership
Why, go to Autozone and they do it for free. Make sure you write down all codes they pull and double check.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:26 AM

I live in toronto Canada bro, the closest thing to Auto Zone is Napa Auto Parts and there is only a hand full of them. I'll keep looking for the MAF cleaner until I get the new senor I ordered.

I don't want to take the risk to drive and loose that acceleration while merging or going through a red light camera because the lost of acceleration happens to abrupt and often.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:12 AM

You should also get on Ebay and get a OBD2 Reader so in the future you can read the codes yourself, got mine for 55 bucks, tells me the code number and a brief explanation of what's wrong....GL on the ride though....
Old 01-03-2012, 09:18 AM

Funny thing is I was talking to my boy and he was telling me where I could find one. It's out $250-300 in out parts store. I was actually thinking about getting one. Good looking man
Old 01-03-2012, 01:02 PM

some thing similar happened to me.. Car was driving fine then shut off at a light. turned the car on and it was rough, car was was in safe mode could only get up to 45mph in 60sec. only had high gears and the tranny would shift very hard. i only drove it for a few hours like that then had nissan pick it up. It turned out to be the camshaft or crankshaft sensor cant remember what one it was
Old 01-03-2012, 06:23 PM

So I went to a few hardways/automotive shops asking for this infamous MAF sensor cleaner and I had no luck. So I asked for something that I could use to clean electrical parts so employee took me to the isle explaining to me that I shouldn't mess with the sensors.

So while he's there trying to find something I glanced a spray can that clearly said Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner. I picked it up and said this is what i'm looking for, the dude said he didn't even know that existed

So I got to the car, took off the intake, sprayed it on the sensor and connector, and cleaned out the throttle body. It was dirty as hell. The car was about 10-15mins drive from my house and I didnt loose the acceleration. The "Service engine soon" light is still on so i'll take it and have it scanned tomorrow

Old 01-03-2012, 07:17 PM
L36

So I went to a few hardways/automotive shops asking for this infamous MAF sensor cleaner and I had no luck. So I asked for something that I could use to clean electrical parts so employee took me to the isle explaining to me that I shouldn't mess with the sensors.

So while he's there trying to find something I glanced a spray can that clearly said Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner. I picked it up and said this is what i'm looking for, the dude said he didn't even know that existed

So I got to the car, took off the intake, sprayed it on the sensor and connector, and cleaned out the throttle body. It was dirty as hell. The car was about 10-15mins drive from my house and I didnt loose the acceleration. The "Service engine soon" light is still on so i'll take it and have it scanned tomorrow

The employe was probably dumb as a bag of rocks. You can clean electrical connectors and sensors, just with the right cleaners and as long as you follow the right procedure.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:39 PM

Will a failing MAF put the car into safe mode? Mine was out on my 4th gen and it was simply a terrible idle and had to stay on the gas. Safe mode is when something really bad is about to happen. Doesn't seem like a rough idle is "safe mode" worthy to me
Old 01-03-2012, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Will a failing MAF put the car into safe mode? Mine was out on my 4th gen and it was simply a terrible idle and had to stay on the gas. Safe mode is when something really bad is about to happen. Doesn't seem like a rough idle is "safe mode" worthy to me
I didn't have that. My car just lost the acceleration completely with the engine running just normal. My boy who have a 04 altima just told me he had the exact problem some day when it was raining.

Apparently the sensor is suppose to feel warm dry air and when it get's moisture mixing with the gas it trips out to prevent the moisture from mixing in the engine. He said the made his intake short and cleaned the sensor and cleared the code
Old 01-03-2012, 08:24 PM

Funny thing is I was talking to my boy and he was telling me where I could find one. It's out $250-300 in out parts store. I was actually thinking about getting one. Good looking man
This is the one I got and it has been on the money all the time....
Old 01-03-2012, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
This is the one I got and it has been on the money all the time....

LMFAO. Bro I bought that from ebay just like 25mins ago. Don't why I choose that one but it was one of the few that had a Canadian and American location. I was basically trying to aviod the brokerage that nobody can seem to calculate until you get it.

So you're saying it works really good and you're happy with the item?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:38 PM

LMFAO. Bro I bought that from ebay just like 25mins ago. Don't why I choose that one but it was one of the few that had a Canadian and American location. I was basically trying to aviod the brokerage that nobody can seem to calculate until you get it.

So you're saying it works really good and you're happy with the item?
Yes sir does the job...
Old 01-03-2012, 09:16 PM
L36

Just remember, the ebay scanner will have a booklet that will explain which codes mean what. However, each manufacturer (Nissan, Failota ect) will have their certain codes. The booklet will usually not cover the manufacturer specific codes, so you'll have to google them. Just make sure you save the booklet, or unless the code reader displays the code specification on the screen.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:30 PM

all the maxima specific codes are on this website
Old 01-04-2012, 12:57 PM

Just got the code from the mechanic and he said it's a moisture code. There was 2 codes and he said he'll have to check it for me because he was busy. I'm glad my mechanic did it for free because paying the stealership $130 to do something that took literally 3mins that's just rediculous.

The codes he pulled was
-1229 and 113

Last edited by mrjasonlyrics; 01-04-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:35 PM
dot dot dot ...

Moisture code? Never heard of that one.

Were they P0113 and P1129?

P0113 is the IAT, in the MAF. Can't find P1129.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Moisture code? Never heard of that one.

Were they P0113 and P1129?

P0113 is the IAT, in the MAF. Can't find P1129.
Well my boy who has a 04 altima with the same engine told me lastnight his car had the exact same problem. That day it was raining like crazy. Apparently the car took in a little water/moisture and the MAF recognized it and triggered the safety. Kinda makes sense becuase I had no acceleration period. I googled P1229 and it said it's a Throttle Sensor Adaption Failure

So I might shorten to CAI because it came in two pcs and change the MAF sensor and clear the code. The mechanic told me that everything else seems to be working fine. He said 1229 and 113, probably mean P1229 and P0113. Forgive me i'm new and this code reading ish.

I ordered the sensor and code OBD code reader so that should be in by next week. The car hasn't lost the acceleration since that night, maybe because I parked it,the moisture dried up or because I cleaned it with the MAF sensor cleaner. Don't know but i'll get my friend to give me another read out and see what comes up

Last edited by mrjasonlyrics; 01-04-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:52 PM
dot dot dot ...

In your original post, you said 1129, but if it is 1229
Old 01-04-2012, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
In your original post, you said 1129, but if it is 1229
Oh my bad. 1229 and 113