6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Sad to see it end but I'm out....

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:13 AM

Sad to see it end but I'm out....

After almost 7 years and 83,000 miles I'm out, done, and sad. Recently my Max had developed a sound from the right front that no one could diagnose. I thought it was the bearing again but they said, after listening to it with a stethoscope, that the bearing wasn't making the noise. Not the axle, the wheel and tire are fine, not the rotors or pads, endlinks, tie rods, nothing. The sound was similiar to the bad bearing and got worse with speed and you could feel a little vibration through the floor and the steering wheel. It sounded like and Aborigional Didgeridoo horn. (Google it) My 16 year old son is pissed b/c the Max was going to be handed to him when he went off to college in 2 years. The repair bills became prohibitive for a longer term relationship, its was nickle and diming and $300 repairing me to death. When he's ready, I will get my son a used car and probably one with less HP than the Max b/c we have seen what the Max is capable of in the wrong hands. My Max was well taken care of, serviced appropriately, always hand washed and waxed by me, and only premium fuel ever used.

So, last night, we went to the Audi dealer and drove off in a silver 2012 A4 2.0T quattro hooked to an 8 speed auto transmission. It has the led front driving lights, HID autoleveling beams, rear LED lights, moon roof, bluetooth, Ipod connection and more. No navi or rear camera, not needed. The torque on that thing is crazy and launches it to 0-60 in a little over 6 secs and its listed at the 1/4 mile in 14.4 secs and it gets 29 MPG with its all wheel drive. The down side to the Audi is that it will be for my wife to drive- I will be driving our black 2010 Acura MDX with 14,000 miles so I have that to look forward to. Plan on keeping that one too, its a sweet SUV.

Anyway, thanks to old the longtimers and the newcomers for your input, opinions, creative ideas and the wonderful machines that many of you have created; especially Chern and his Red Heat. Although I never modded past tinted windows, Racing line strut brace and upgrading some OEM parts, I always lived through some of the creations that you all have made and when I looked at my Max in the parking lot I could see many of yours in the paint's reflection. Good luck and be safe out there and once again thanks for a great ride.

Regards,
Gary
Old 02-21-2012, 10:45 AM

Good luck with your new vehicle and I/we appreciate your farewell.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dude, you car did not sound like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05wzs...eature=related

LOL well anyway, I know they can make some weird sounds sometimes. Mine was whirrring and it turned out to be a bad bearing. Replace and all problems gone.

At any rate, you gotta do what you think is best. We know cars dont last forever and sometimes you just have to make a move. Best wishes to you, good luck with the new ride, sounds like a sweet one.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:50 AM

Damn , well enjoy the new ride .
Old 02-21-2012, 02:47 PM

Gary

The Audi is leaps better than the Maxi in every way possible...I know the feeling about the Maxima ....
Old 02-21-2012, 06:08 PM

Farewell, good luck with the new ride. PS. what was wrong with the max, did u ever find out
Old 02-21-2012, 07:20 PM

audi's are crappy these days as well, all imports are worse than ever before. Smart purchase these days is actually American car. but whatever dude. you got the money you are the boss
Old 02-21-2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by HMAX08
Farewell, good luck with the new ride. PS. what was wrong with the max, did u ever find out
No I never could find out what it was. My noise wasn't a constant hum or whine but like a rumbling and not quite like a grinding when I had a bad bearing. I could hear it at 35 MPH and it would get worse with increased speed. Weird thing is that I would have to drive the car a few miles for it to start making the noise. I don't understand it at all and I wasn't about to start paying for repairs that may not fix the problem. Seriously, it sounded like the posted video of the aborigional horn when he makes the sound at around 49 seconds into the video. I just couldn't take it any more, all of the detective BS to find the issues and then pay the repair bills. I recently flushed the trans and put in synthetic which almost cured me of the hard shifts, fixed the a/c with a new hose, alignment, bought 2 years of license plates in Nov 2011 that don't transfer to the new car (cuz the new one is in my wife's name) and all of the other issues I had over the years.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by acercomp71
audi's are crappy these days as well, all imports are worse than ever before. Smart purchase these days is actually American car. but whatever dude. you got the money you are the boss
I OBJECT!!!

however you are moderately correct, American cars have definitely stepped their game up. like the ford fusion... once they leave the lot, they never come back. buuuuut, that doesn't mean imports are crap! They are built the same way as before, you just aren't able to compare them to such an American low like it used to be... a star only shines so bright when its next to other ones shining bright as well.

very gay analogy, but im not in the thinking mood...
Old 02-21-2012, 07:32 PM

Its sad that the maxima has stopped progressing with such stride like it used to..

when i get rid of this max, im not looking back either. i have been severely disappointed with the 7th gen. by now, the maxima should have an upgraded engine and AWD options, at the very least RWD. And nissan needs to get their head out of their butts and put some legitimate brakes on their maximas... the maxima is one of the most underpowered cars in terms of braking performance. I hate it, just terrible. braking is more important than power IMO. well almost lol... don't get me started with the ONLY transmission available being a CVT....

The maxima should be the sports sedan its always been and leave the flippin Altima for the eco-conscious and family minded..

Last edited by twentyeggs; 02-21-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:34 PM

The replacement.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by acercomp71
The audi will run circles around the crappy maxima any day...ever driven German? They know how make cars not crap unlike american cars
Old 02-23-2012, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
The maxima should be the sports sedan its always been and leave the flippin Altima for the eco-conscious and family minded..
Sadly the Altima has better styling than the Maxima
Old 02-23-2012, 04:03 AM

im keeping my max cause im broke
Old 02-23-2012, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by FenderGuy
Sadly the Altima has better styling than the Maxima
Styling? No way. Not the 6thgen anyway.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Styling? No way. Not the 6thgen anyway.
i think he is referring to the coupe. in that case i agree... the sedan, naw

hindsight, i would have chose the new altima coupe 3.5

actually hidesight i would have bought the G35x

Last edited by twentyeggs; 02-23-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:37 AM

I missed the coupe part.

Hind sight, I'd do it all again! WOOT!

There was no Nissan Coupe and the Infiniti was too much $$$.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:31 PM
KC's FINEST

Im on the same path. 9 years and 57K miles here...