6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

In Need of some serious help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:28 PM

In Need of some serious help.

I have an 05 Maxima about 117k on it. I am sure this has happened to someone and I am sure it is posted here but I can't find it and being that I am a single dad and have to be at work tomorrow at 0600, I really need help finding an answer.

While driving back from Orlando had Cruise set at about 75. Speed and Tach suddenly dropped then went back up like the car hit a puddle of water (Dry Conditions FYI). Came off cruise and drove normal for a while and nothing else happened. Went back on Cruise and drove the rest of the way home (about 2 hours) with no further issues. When I got off my exit and was at a complete stop I depressed the gas pedal and the RPM's moved up to about 2k and the car was extremely sluggish. Once at about 35 or 40 mph car acted just fine. Only happened when below 30 or coming off a complete stop. Part of my Troubleshooting that I did was at one point from almost a dead stop put my foot to the floor and the car would not accelerate fast at all. When I got home put the car in Park and there was no issues. When going in to R or D there is a bit of a "Clunk" but nothing drastic like I have read before. When the car is in P. Tac revs just fine. As soon as I put it in Drive and push the pedal down RPM's go to about 2k.

I popped open the hood checked fluid and everything seemed okay. I did smell what seemed like oil burning however I just got the oil changed so it could be that. The only thing that I noticed that seemed odd was a hose with the numbers TM 4801 appeared to be sheared. This hose is small has a J hook to it and is directly behind the A/T Fluid stick. I don't know if the two have anything to do with each other, I could not find the other place this hose goes and never noticed it just hanging there before though it could have been overlooked.

I apologize ahead of time cuz I know how people emphasize searching the threads but I am either not using the correct terminology or but I cannot find it and hope that someone can point me in the right direction before I take the car in.

Thank you very much for your time.

R/
Edward-John Franks
Old 05-06-2012, 07:12 PM
oem ftw!

Sounds like your car entered fail safe mode, and was stuck in 5th gear. Have you tried the car again after turning it off? When I had this issue, I could temporarily fix it by restarting the car. If it still feels sluggish upon the next startup, move your shifter over to tiptronic mode. If it shows 5, then that can confirm what has happened.

Many people have had that problem, and have fixed it by replacing the camshaft position sensors. I took my car in to the shop, and in addition to rebuilding the transmission (which was failing anyway), they replaced those sensors. Issue never resurfaced.

Last edited by CRiME; 05-06-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:38 AM

Thanks for your help, woke-up this morning, and everything was acting like normal so I will take her in to a Transmission place after work and have them check everything out.

Thanks again.

Ed
Old 05-07-2012, 08:45 AM
oem ftw!

No problem, keep us posted on your findings.

keep an eye on this recent thread as well, someone is currently experiencing a similar problem:

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...not-quite.html
Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 AM

Sounds like your max went into fail safe mode.

And The Camshaft position sensors are common on our engines, its the oil buildup on the senors really. its dangerous because you can stall out any minute on the highway with no steering! has happened to me before.

I keep a spare set of camshaft position sensors in case.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:40 PM

+1 on Fail Safe mode. I experienced this once and resolved it by disconnecting the battery for an hour or so which allowed the ECU to reset. I was stuck in 4th.