6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Need BRIGHTER Headlights and High Beams

Old 06-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need BRIGHTER Headlights and High Beams

As much as I love my Maxima, it's horrible driving at night. It's hard driving in the rain, you just can't see the road. I need my fog lights on at all times. And I can't even use my high beams where there are no street lights because they are so dull. I've only owned my car for a year, it's an 05.

I'm trying to find new headlights and high beams but I'm stuck on what to get. I'm clueless actually.

I have the halogen highlight casing. First question is, can I convert it to HID or LED without buying a new casing? I really like 6000k. If not, what is a good, bright white bulb I can get that's better than the stock.

Second, I just want normal halogen high beams but I need them to be brighter than my low beams. A lot brighter. Suggestions on what to get for that?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:43 AM

First, you have to understand your headlights. You have bi-halogen projector headlights, which means that the high beam and low beam use the same bulb. The projector has a moveable shield that moves when the high beam is activated, allowing more light to pass through. So no, you can't have HID lows and halogen highs.

You CAN use an HID kit, but in my opinion it actually makes things worse. Most 6th genners throw a 9006 HID kit into their halogen projectors, which I have done before. The problem here is that the halogen projectors are designed for halogen bulbs and halogen bulbs are COMPLETELY different from HID bulbs, the two are NOT interchangeable. Here is how my output looked with an HID kit in halogen projectors. The beam pattern is scattered and the hotspot looks like a huge blob.

Name:  9da5c019.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  12.2 KB

Here is the output of the OEM HID's. The beam pattern is controlled and the hotspot isn't so centered.

Name:  7cdcc259.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  12.7 KB

If you truly want brighter lights, convert to OEM. Either pick up used ones from eBay or swap your halogen projectors with the OEM HID projectors (requires opening up your headlights). It all depends on your budget though, but for headlights I wouldn't skimp out.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is it possible to get brighter bi-halogen bulbs then? I can't find them. I think I have 55 watts and they are bad.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:36 PM

The bulb isn't bi-halogen, the projector is. The bulb always puts out the same amount of light, some of it is just blocked by the projector shield. When the high beam is activated, the shield moves and allows more light to pass through.

I don't think there is a halogen replacement that is brighter than the Toshiba 9012 HIR bulbs, which is what the car came with. If your bulbs were never replaced, they are probably just aged and near or at end of life. As far as I know those bulbs were discontinued, but Philips does make the HIR2 9012. I'm not sure if it has the same technology as the Toshiba's, nor am I sure of the performance. People with 9006 bulbs seem to like the 9012's as upgrades, but I don't know if it's an upgrade going from Toshiba to Philips. I don't think you have a choice though, so I say try the Philips bulbs.