6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2006 Maxima Help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2006 Maxima Help?

Kind of a dilemma and sorry for the novel. I have been through hell this past month. This car has ran great till now. The dreaded timing chain tensioners and guides were just done. Had the Chain work and the spark plugs done at the same time 1965 out the door from reliable auto in Illinois. Picked the car up on Tuesday this week. When I hopped in it for the 1st time I came to notice that the car wouldn't accelarate correctly it almost felt as I was dragging a boat behind me. Mechanic drove it around and it died on him was able to get it restarted cleaned the throttle body then found out his machine couldn't relearn the idle. Was able to make it to nissan the shop payed for it good to go! Well thats what I thought driving that night did the same a real loud bang when I shifted into reverse and the car would barely move turned it off then on drove ok made it home. Decided maybe just a brain fart from having the battery disconnected for so long nope. Took it out maybe 5 miles going up to 45-50 mph car dies TCS off slip and SES light come on. Had it towed back to the shop replaced the Crank Sensor that what the code shows. Took it 100 plus miles the past couple days no lights but crazy paranoia that there is something just not right. I still feel as if there is something up with my RPMs the tach is as if it is really flimsy hard to describe. During downshifting it feels as if something is pulling and during acceleration it feel as if the RPMs arent matching what the amount of gas I am putting into it and sometime feel the same little jerk that caused my car to die before . This shop had fantastic reviews all over but now its got me thinking did they really know what they are doing. Any help my brain is fried. Thanks all

Does anyone know a good Nissan Mechanic around the area that could make sure this was installed correctly? Minus Nissan they would charge a ton. Batavia Illinois

Last edited by ak06max; 06-23-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:13 PM
oem ftw!

It sounds like what you were experiencing was the car entering fail safe mode and getting stuck in 5th gear. Extremely common issue, I think there is actually a recent thread on this a little further down with someone having the same kind of problem. Changing the camshaft position sensors resolved the issue for most people. Did your mechanic change both of them?
Old 06-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by CRiME
It sounds like what you were experiencing was the car entering fail safe mode and getting stuck in 5th gear. Extremely common issue, I think there is actually a recent thread on this a little further down with someone having the same kind of problem. Changing the camshaft position sensors resolved the issue for most people. Did your mechanic change both of them?

He just changed one. After reading into this should he of changed both? Do they both have the same purpose or a difference.? I just felt a bit leery due to the chain and plugs were just replaced a couple days before this. Thanks again

Last edited by ak06max; 06-24-2012 at 08:09 AM.