6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New 2005 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 07:33 AM

New 2005 Owner

Hey guys, I am new to this part of the boards. I recently sold my 2000 SE and just purchased a 2005 SE with the loaded package, AND I LOVE IT!!

I did have a few questions as its a whole new world to me now. So if you guys could bare with me for a short while until i get a grip on the new stuff, i'd appreciate it.

P.S. can i change my user name?? i need it to say 20MAXIMA05 SE
Old 07-04-2012, 06:33 PM

I'm almost in the same situation. I have an 01 SE that I'm considering selling. I want a 6th gen. However, reading about the tranny issues make me leary. How many miles does your 05 have?
Old 07-04-2012, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by spiritman
I'm almost in the same situation. I have an 01 SE that I'm considering selling. I want a 6th gen. However, reading about the tranny issues make me leary. How many miles does your 05 have?

I have to be honest and say I love it. However, I have noticed a few sudden shifts and some times it shifts hard. It's rare but does happen. I have the 2005 SE model but it's loaded as far as features. It has 86,000 ish on the clock, so not too bad. Others I looked at within the same age range where much higher.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by 20MAXIMA00 SE
Hey guys, I am new to this part of the boards. I recently sold my 2000 SE and just purchased a 2005 SE with the loaded package, AND I LOVE IT!!

I did have a few questions as its a whole new world to me now. So if you guys could bare with me for a short while until i get a grip on the new stuff, i'd appreciate it.

P.S. can i change my user name?? i need it to say 20MAXIMA05 SE
yes you can. you need to contact a moderator about it, however i think an administrator needs to be the one to do it, not sure, but yes i have seen other members do it. Just say you bought a new car and your user name doesn't work anymore.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by spiritman
i got my max 5at with 70k on it, its now at 120k no problems... the trans problem is not as bad as everyone says it is. people who have these problems are still in the 3-5%. the other 95% of people have working maximas with no problems. Its just that the 5% are the squeaky wheel and they make a huge fuss. its no wonder why everyone is leary, this website is responsible for the bad wrap on the 5at. every car has its weaknesses, and the transmission is the maximas, but the chances of you getting a bad maxima is less than the chance you get an acura with the head gasket issue, or toyota with the stuck throttle issue, or a chevy with a transmissino problem, or a prius with a low voltage issue... the list is endless. in short your risks are acceptable with the maxima. Just test drive it a long distance and if you have slipping or bang shifts then don't get it, just like you wouldn't get a Ford that overheats ect..

Last edited by twentyeggs; 07-05-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
i got my max 5at with 70k on it, its now at 120k no problems... the trans problem is not as bad as everyone says it is. people who have these problems are still in the 3-5%. the other 95% of people have working maximas with no problems. Its just that the 5% are the squeaky wheel and they make a huge fuss. its no wonder why everyone is leary, this website is responsible for the bad wrap on the 5at. every car has its weaknesses, and the transmission is the maximas, but the chances of you getting a bad maxima is less than the chance you get an acura with the head gasket issue, or toyota with the stuck throttle issue, or a chevy with a transmissino problem, or a prius with a low voltage issue... the list is endless. in short your risks are acceptable with the maxima. Just test drive it a long distance and if you have slipping or bang shifts then don't get it, just like you wouldn't get a Ford that overheats ect..
Yea, I test drove it four times before I made my mind up on whether or not to buy it. I had heard of the issue but I don't feel it at all, and like you said all cars have weaknesses. After my 00', I knew I wanted another max, just had to find the right one. I'm still looking at this car like a foreigner as its still new to me...