6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

6th Gen Alternator Replacement thread?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:35 AM

6th Gen Alternator Replacement thread?

Searched and searched but could not find anything of note. Seems like these are a bear and I want to do my research before I start. Any step-by-step, video or basic walk-through would be appreciated. I think I'm going to invest in a decent one as I've read alot about bad non-OEM alternators. Maybe I'm just gun shy from reading so much.

Also seems like "The Garage" forum is pretty desolate...eh?
Old 07-10-2012, 05:13 PM

I meant to type something up since I just did it myself.... Here is step by step to the best of my memory... I apologize for not having pictures or socket sizes.

Step 1 - remove battery, battery tray, and air box baffles

Step 2 - Put right side of car in the air, remove the wheel and plastic pieces surrounding the wheel well

Step 3 - Drain Radiator and remove Radiator and Fan's (you will need green coolant when you refill it)

Step 4 - Remove Serpentine Belt and tensioner pulley (Belt tensioner is a 14mm)

Step 5 - Unbolt A/C compressor, but leave it connected (this is to gain access to the long bolt under the Alternator)

Step 6 - Unplug the 2 power cables connected to the alternator (negative plug and positive wire held on by a nut and washer)

Step 7 - unbolt Alternator (it is 2 bolts, one is a long bolt accessible under the car once you drop down the A/C compressor, the other is a shorter bolt accessible from the top of the engine bay.)

Step 8 - Pull Alternator out through space created from removing the radiator and fans

To put back together, reverse the procedure.

I know it's a huge PITA, but this is seriously the most simple way I could find to replace it. It also helps if between steps you drink a beer :-)

Last edited by smokin5s; 07-10-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:14 PM

BTW, it's not that bad if you follow my instructions... the biggest PITA was not knowing what to do next in order to get it out... pulling the radiator really helps a ton.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:11 AM

I really appreciate you taking the time to type this out. I'll come back after I'm done and add some pics and bolt sizes.

Just for my own curiosity, did you end up getting a brand new OEM from Nissan, a used one, Pep Boys, etc. and how much? Thanks....
Old 07-11-2012, 11:27 AM

holddddddddddd up buddy...if the 6th gen is anything like the 4th and 5th gen, i'm 99% sure that the draining/removing of the radiator and fans is unnecessary. i dont know where the battery is placed so i cant comment on that other than the removing of the terminal. but the alternator can be dropped in way under an hr w/ just removing of the compressor, moved to teh side and dropping the alternator.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:30 AM

Easy Breezy. Open you hood and look around. Go to library and get Chilton Manual. All these noobs expecting to be spoonfed!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
holddddddddddd up buddy...if the 6th gen is anything like the 4th and 5th gen, i'm 99% sure that the draining/removing of the radiator and fans is unnecessary. i dont know where the battery is placed so i cant comment on that other than the removing of the terminal. but the alternator can be dropped in way under an hr w/ just removing of the compressor, moved to teh side and dropping the alternator.
dude, I spent 2 hours trying to move the compressor to the side, I couldn't get it through and busted up my hand pretty good trying. not saying it couldn't be done, but it was way easier removing the radiator and a lot less frustrating... it was worth the 20 dollars I spent in coolant to relieve that frustration. (The radiator removal took less than 10 minutes) Also remember the 4th and 5th use the 3.0 instead of the 3.5 (not including the 5.5 gen) so the motor layout is going to be totally different)

as far as what Alternator I used, I picked up a refurbished from Autozone with a lifetime warranty for 199 with 35 dollar core charge.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by gatsugansu
Easy Breezy. Open you hood and look around. Go to library and get Chilton Manual. All these noobs expecting to be spoonfed!

Either your being sarcastic (in which case I'll give you a chuckle) else your a total D-Bag. Pop up the hood on your 2006 and tell me if you see any sign of an alternator. This guy just saved me a bunch of time telling me the basic steps involved here. It's called helping someone out.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by gatsugansu
dude, isn't that what this forum is for is to help each other? I wish I would have had some sort of instructions written up on how to do this before I opened the hood and fought with it. At the end of the day, I got it done, but I don't see what the problem is with this guy asking if anyone has done this before and has tips or tricks to make the job easier....
Old 07-11-2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by smokin5s
dude, I spent 2 hours trying to move the compressor to the side, I couldn't get it through and busted up my hand pretty good trying. not saying it couldn't be done, but it was way easier removing the radiator and a lot less frustrating... it was worth the 20 dollars I spent in coolant to relieve that frustration. (The radiator removal took less than 10 minutes) Also remember the 4th and 5th use the 3.0 instead of the 3.5 (not including the 5.5 gen) so the motor layout is going to be totally different)

as far as what Alternator I used, I picked up a refurbished from Autozone with a lifetime warranty for 199 with 35 dollar core charge.
it's not totally different, the motor layout is basically the same. with the plastic shield out the way from the bottom, it's pretty simple to drop the alternator w/ the compressor to the side. completely removing the 4 bolts form the compressor. unbolt the alternator and pull it out. so the compressor line wont have pressure on it, place it back up there gently where the 'holders/platform' for the compressor sits and get your alternator ready to throw back up there. and i have big *** hands. so it can be done. anyone have a pic from the top and bottom of a 6th gen setup?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:22 PM

whatever works man, just giving the steps that I took in order to be successful. not say there isn't other ways to do it.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:29 PM

...anyone have a pic from the top and bottom of a 6th gen setup?
It's the same as every maxima since 95.......

95-08 Maximas use the same general procedure for getting to the alternator..... Even 09+ if I think about it... I've only seen two though and I wasn't looking @ the alternator
Old 07-11-2012, 12:35 PM

annnnnnnd there you have it..save your coolant and blood.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:55 PM

HERE!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:01 AM

This thread is going the way of mindless forum babble.

Of course I searched beforehand but there was nothing comprehensive I could find. What Smokin gave me was dead on with what Gats "helpful link" (below) said but oh so much more descriptive. Props to guys like him and @$%& the naysayers. We should have all good walk-throughs pinned in The Garage. I will add pics when I am done this weekend.

BTW - read below - says REMOVE RADIATOR.

"The book for my 2007 maxima says: 1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. 2. Remove radiator. Refer CO-13, "Removal and Installation" . 3. Remove the drive belt. Refer to EM-13, "DRIVE BELTS" . 4. Remove idler pulley. 5. Remove the generator adjustable top mount, using power tools. 6. Remove the generator lower bolt and nut, using power tools. 7. Disconnect the generator harness connectors. 8. Remove the generator upper bolt, using power tools. 9. Remove the generator. I would assume the Haynes manual is saying that if you unbolt the compressor you can avoid removing the radiator. "
Old 07-12-2012, 06:03 AM

i'm telling you removing the radiator is not necessary. you can do it, but it's not necessary.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:20 AM

I'll most certainly report back.

Hree's a funny: I called Nissan in East Windsor. They qouted me $451 for JUST the alternator! AN ALTERNATOR!!!!!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:30 AM

lol its an hr job from start to finish when i did mine..i didnt even have a lift..jack and jack stand, with all hand tools...tell them FOH
Old 07-12-2012, 06:57 AM

lol its an hr job from start to finish when i did mine..i didnt even have a lift..jack and jack stand, with all hand tools...tell them FOH

Dude - That was for the PART!!! Labor was another $200!! I called another place in Freehold and sure enough that was spot on. The guy at the second place said "Don't buy it here - they are all remanufactured anyway".

Imagine paying $650 to get an alternator put in? That's why these forums are so great.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:09 AM

that's bananas. i'd have to be unable to replace it to pay that much. i'll suck up a weekend w/ beer to do that instead of paying that much
Old 07-12-2012, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by pktaske
This thread is going the way of mindless forum babble.

Of course I searched beforehand but there was nothing comprehensive I could find. What Smokin gave me was dead on with what Gats "helpful link" (below) said but oh so much more descriptive. Props to guys like him and @$%& the naysayers. We should have all good walk-throughs pinned in The Garage. I will add pics when I am done this weekend.

BTW - read below - says REMOVE RADIATOR.

"The book for my 2007 maxima says: 1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. 2. Remove radiator. Refer CO-13, "Removal and Installation" . 3. Remove the drive belt. Refer to EM-13, "DRIVE BELTS" . 4. Remove idler pulley. 5. Remove the generator adjustable top mount, using power tools. 6. Remove the generator lower bolt and nut, using power tools. 7. Disconnect the generator harness connectors. 8. Remove the generator upper bolt, using power tools. 9. Remove the generator. I would assume the Haynes manual is saying that if you unbolt the compressor you can avoid removing the radiator. "

That is pretty much what i did but i only relocated the radiator because i did not want to fool with the CVT cooler. I removed the battery and put it there next to the CAI.

Be sure to loosen the nut on the idler pulley before attempting to loosen the belt. To get to the tensioner adjustment it helped to have a universal joint on the socket extension. When tightening the belt, start the car, then tighten the belt a little more if it squeals. Have the AC on full blast when you start the car. Be prepared to make adjustments to the belt tension if it starts squealing in a few days.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:05 PM

For future reference, PM me if anyone wants to buy an alternator for their 6th gen
Old 07-12-2012, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by DAlastDON
That is pretty much what i did but i only relocated the radiator because i did not want to fool with the CVT cooler. I removed the battery and put it there next to the CAI.

Be sure to loosen the nut on the idler pulley before attempting to loosen the belt. To get to the tensioner adjustment it helped to have a universal joint on the socket extension. When tightening the belt, start the car, then tighten the belt a little more if it squeals. Have the AC on full blast when you start the car. Be prepared to make adjustments to the belt tension if it starts squealing in a few days.
Good call, don't want to forget to loosen that nut. I completely forgot to mention that.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 PM

If you have amplifier's, now would be a good time to beef up the wire from the alternator to the battery.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:28 PM

did you ever get your alternator swapped out?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:39 PM

I got an brand new OEM alternator from Spider marine for next to nothing and did it myself recently. You have to take the radiator out. No need to touch the AC compressor. It's a breeze except for that long both with you have to fiddle with but I did it in an afternoon with new hoses and coolant and belts.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by NIKV69
I got an brand new OEM alternator from Spider marine for next to nothing and did it myself recently. You have to take the radiator out. No need to touch the AC compressor. It's a breeze except for that long both with you have to fiddle with but I did it in an afternoon with new hoses and coolant and belts.
thank you