6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Been thinking of selling my 5.5gen, what about this one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 12:19 AM

Been thinking of selling my 5.5gen, what about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...item3a7900d5bf

Anyone ever done the eBay car thing?

I am in MO so its a bit of a drive....but there certainly aren't any 6spds local. Saw a few in KC but all silver with frost interior. Which is what I have now. And frost just shows too much dirt for me and my OCD. I've had my 5.5gen for 6- going on 7 years here soon, and had a 4th gen before that, have one now, too. I love her, we've done 120K miles together, but if I was going to get rid of her. Now would probably be the best time I am guessing.

SO any feedback on the eBay car thing would be appreciated. As well as a what to look for in 6th gens, things I saw were timing chain guides clacking on cold start and troubles with transmission, but I believe thats limited to autos correct?

Thanks guys! Might be progressing a link up on the forum
Old 08-26-2012, 07:40 PM
L36

Originally Posted by Saddles
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...item3a7900d5bf

Anyone ever done the eBay car thing?

I am in MO so its a bit of a drive....but there certainly aren't any 6spds local. Saw a few in KC but all silver with frost interior. Which is what I have now. And frost just shows too much dirt for me and my OCD. I've had my 5.5gen for 6- going on 7 years here soon, and had a 4th gen before that, have one now, too. I love her, we've done 120K miles together, but if I was going to get rid of her. Now would probably be the best time I am guessing.

SO any feedback on the eBay car thing would be appreciated. As well as a what to look for in 6th gens, things I saw were timing chain guides clacking on cold start and troubles with transmission, but I believe thats limited to autos correct?

Thanks guys! Might be progressing a link up on the forum
Only thing you have to worry is the timing chain issues. This is a manual, transmission issues apply only to 5 spd auto. Since its at 85k miles, cats might soon fail along with various suspension components. Its a good buy for the right price.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by L36
Only thing you have to worry is the timing chain issues. This is a manual, transmission issues apply only to 5 spd auto. Since its at 85k miles, cats might soon fail along with various suspension components. Its a good buy for the right price.
Are timing chain guide issues just a standard problem all of them have, a select few, or? What is the expense of the repair for something like that?

As far as cats, just a 6th gen specific ordeal? You are not just speaking of cats fail at 100k generally speaking?

And suspension for the same reason, not really a 6th gen issue, just a concern with any vehicle with going on 100k?
Old 08-28-2012, 12:39 PM
L36

Are timing chain guide issues just a standard problem all of them have, a select few, or? What is the expense of the repair for something like that?

As far as cats, just a 6th gen specific ordeal? You are not just speaking of cats fail at 100k generally speaking?

And suspension for the same reason, not really a 6th gen issue, just a concern with any vehicle with going on 100k?
Its a simple generalization that applied to me as well when i got my maxima. My car had 83K miles and struts, endlinks were blown. Cats on the other hand were fine for time being.

As for the guides; are faulty in all 04-06 VQ35s. In 07-08 VQ35 they fixed the guide for the main chain but the guide shoes for both secondary chains were still faulty due to my experience swapping a 07 motor in my 04. Motor had 41K miles and the secondary guides were nearly at the metal part of the tensioner.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:15 PM

Sweet. Sounds like the real thing to worry about then is the timing chain guides.

I read or dreamed, hard to tell now, that the timing chain guides are widely affected due to the oil consumption of the 3.5 (aka people run it low of oil and wear the guides). Though, then I suppose this would be true with 5.5 gens as well. Perhaps just a change in design that doesn't hold up to the great oil burner as well? Or a true glaring even under well maintenanced conditions fault?

Off to read more!

I am just starting to feel down about my 5.5 gen...I've had her 6 years and 120k and the few door dings have doubled. I didn't get to care for her as well as I would of liked to first few years of ownership due to living in it driving to school to work to home to out all night with my now fiance! Looking for something fresh...and since Nissan seems to have ruined 6spd for us for more current years thats the newest car I can get! I might as well get one and have it for the long hall before they're all super high miles before I start!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:13 PM
L36

Sweet. Sounds like the real thing to worry about then is the timing chain guides.

I read or dreamed, hard to tell now, that the timing chain guides are widely affected due to the oil consumption of the 3.5 (aka people run it low of oil and wear the guides). Though, then I suppose this would be true with 5.5 gens as well. Perhaps just a change in design that doesn't hold up to the great oil burner as well? Or a true glaring even under well maintenanced conditions fault?

Off to read more!

I am just starting to feel down about my 5.5 gen...I've had her 6 years and 120k and the few door dings have doubled. I didn't get to care for her as well as I would of liked to first few years of ownership due to living in it driving to school to work to home to out all night with my now fiance! Looking for something fresh...and since Nissan seems to have ruined 6spd for us for more current years thats the newest car I can get! I might as well get one and have it for the long hall before they're all super high miles before I start!
Its not much as the oil problem as the material the guides made of. Nissan went cheap.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:53 PM

Get it .
Old 08-31-2012, 02:08 PM

Well, bid didn't go above the reserve.

I've had some recent family emergencies and had no time to look for financing etc anyway.

I e-mailed the guy, see if hes relisting it, and see if he will tell me what the reserve is.

I guess the car KBB's for like 12-13 actually...that seems high to me. I'm like...I thought 8500 would clear the reserve and 10-10500 is where it would of landed. Am I unreasonable in this thought?