6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

What happens if you DONT fix the timing guide and/or tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What happens if you DONT fix the timing guide and/or tensioner?

First question (see post title).

Second question:
Or, if I pay $X for a used 2004 Maxima, should I just basically go ahead and assume the "real" cost of the car is $X + $1800 (+ or -) to replace/repair the timing chain guide/tensioner that everyone seems to be talking about?

I'm handy with a set of tools, but I'm hearing stuff about droppin' the motor, trans, etc. and I'm not exactly ready for that kind of job.

So again, back to first question, what happens if I don't fix it right away or at all? = Dead motor?

*BONUS QUESTION:
Let's say in fantasyworld that I do find an affordable used 6th gen, and I DO in fact have enough money to make the necessary repairs of this apparently chronic issue..
If it is faulty purely by design, then wouldn't replacing it just prolong the impending doom when the new part fails, just as the old part did?

I can accept that a lot of parts, contrary to the general public's idea, are wear parts and that they do need timely replacement, but this isn't exactly a set of brakes you gotta toss out every couple of years.

How are ya'll's cars still on the road??

Last edited by xerostatus; 10-17-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:13 PM
L36

6 gens are expensive to upkeep. As miles pile up, precats fail, many suspension components go, motor mounts are known to fail early, the 5AT is known for issues but if caught quick and valve body replaced ASAP symptoms appear, then serious damage avoidable. There is also known issues with the floorboards and radiator support rusting away so check that as well. If you get the 6 speed M/T, 04 still have a weak 3rd gear syncro which causes grinds as mileage goes up. 05-06 are not affected.

As for the tensioners, taking the motor out makes the job so much quicker and easier as you have much more access to the timing area but pulling the motor is no easy task. The job is doable without pulling the motor or trans but you will have very little wiggle room so the job will take bit more time but not as much when pulling the motor.

If you do not replace the tensioners:
1) shame on you doing that to the maxima
2) eventually the chains will not withstand the stress caused by the metal piston from the tensioner and chain might snap but that would take many miles of abuse. If chains snap, valves will get bent.
3) the noise is annoying

Nissan has updated the tensioner material so if you do it once and keep up with the oil changes, this issue is unlikely to occur in the lifetime of said car.